ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#621 » by Mags FTW » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Have a $100 Amazon gift card that's collected dust since Xmas. What's something cool I could get with it? I'm not hip to all of the latest tech. Air pods are the most advanced I've got.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#622 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:49 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Have a $100 Amazon gift card that's collected dust since Xmas. What's something cool I could get with it? I'm not hip to all of the latest tech. Air pods are the most advanced I've got.

I like an Alexa device in my bathroom so I can control music and podcasts when I'm in the shower. Other stuff I'd put money towards, some I have and some I don't but want:

• a REALLY good chef's knife
• a better router
• an Anova sous vide circulator
• InstaPot
• An electronics-specific tool kit
• Raspberry Pi and accessories
• Top quality olive oil
• Leatherman
• Nice/interesting book shelving
• Art
• Hella nice glassware
• Portable induction countertop burner
• Vintage leather messenger bag
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#623 » by Chuck Diesel » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 am

Anybody familiar with cool areas around Eastern Ohio/Western PA? Looking for a weekend big group gathering spot relatively equidistant to Chicago & NYC.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#624 » by midranger » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:08 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Anybody familiar with cool areas around Eastern Ohio/Western PA? Looking for a weekend big group gathering spot relatively equidistant to Chicago & NYC.

State College. Already a bubble in place. Though, it’s a bubble of insanity.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
soboMP3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,239

Post#625 » by soboMP3 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:31 pm

trwi7 wrote:It may take up to 4 months but I'm finally going to get a refund on my credit card instead of that 120% coupon from StubHub.

What did you end up doing to get an actual refund?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,315

Post#626 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:59 pm

soboMP3 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:It may take up to 4 months but I'm finally going to get a refund on my credit card instead of that 120% coupon from StubHub.

What did you end up doing to get an actual refund?

FIrst I called which got me nowhere. Then I just kept DMing them through twitter. Had to give confirmation number, email and zip code. They reviewed it and said I was eligible for a refund. I don't know what they deem eligible and ineligible for a refund though.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#627 » by vital_signs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 pm

Working from home is going to make it real hard to toss on some pants during hot summer days again. I've been a rotation of 3 pairs of athletic shorts for 3 months and have no desire to go back.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#628 » by El Duderino » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:29 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Have a $100 Amazon gift card that's collected dust since Xmas. What's something cool I could get with it? I'm not hip to all of the latest tech. Air pods are the most advanced I've got.

https://www.amazon.com/Yonanas-902-Original-Delicious-Alternatives/dp/B005083ECS?ref_=ast_sto_dp
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,148

Post#629 » by KidA24 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:23 am

So, I'm working remote until at least Labor day.

Just booked an Air BnB near Frisco, CO for 4 weeks, plan to work there during the day and hike at night & every weekend.

I cannot wait.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,913

Post#630 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:24 pm

KidA24 wrote:So, I'm working remote until at least Labor day.

Just booked an Air BnB near Frisco, CO for 4 weeks, plan to work there during the day and hike at night & every weekend.

I cannot wait.

I'm work from home at least through the end of the year and have been thinking of doing something like that. My concern is reliable Wifi. I've had rental places where it's been spotty and/or slow. I didn't care because I wasn't working from those places.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#631 » by KidA24 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:28 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

I cannot wait.

I'm work from home at least through the end of the year and have been thinking of doing something like that. My concern is reliable Wifi. I've had rental places where it's been spotty and/or slow. I didn't care because I wasn't working from those places.

I asked specifically about it, and they said the router is accessible, so I can always run my 50 ft ethernet cable if needed :)

JoeyMorgan619
Rookie
And1: 1,767

Post#632 » by JoeyMorgan619 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm

I cannot wait.

Sounds awesome, but an Airbnb for 4 weeks? That has to cost a ton, right?
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,862

Post#633 » by jschligs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:26 pm

JoeyMorgan619 wrote:

I cannot wait.

Some AirBnBs will offer discounted rates for extended stays.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#634 » by truly » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I like an Alexa device in my bathroom so I can control music and podcasts when I'm in the shower. Other stuff I'd put money towards, some I have and some I don't but want:

• a REALLY good chef's knife
• a better router
• InstaPot
• An electronics-specific tool kit
• Raspberry Pi and accessories
• Top quality olive oil
• Leatherman
• Nice/interesting book shelving
• Art
• Hella nice glassware
• Portable induction countertop burner
• Vintage leather messenger bag

Dude,remind me in november when we gather our olives and i'll try and send you some :D
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#635 » by KidA24 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:26 am

JoeyMorgan619 wrote:

I cannot wait.

4 weeks for about $2500 for this stay.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#636 » by Mags FTW » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

This will be arriving today. Any dissatisfaction or disappointment with this product will be directed toward you in a sternly worded PM.

If I am pleased, I will pat myself on the back for the great decision.
MissKhriddleton
Analyst
And1: 2,980

Post#637 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm

So after doing it for the last 6 years or so, I think I am starting to realize that I would really like to get out of teaching. The lack of pay and constant stress just doesn't seem worth it as much as I am loving having my summer off right now. I would love to do something tech related but have zero experience in anything other than education.

Anyone have any experience starting their career over?
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,297

Post#638 » by jute2003 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:48 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:So after doing it for the last 6 years or so, I think I am starting to realize that I would really like to get out of teaching. The lack of pay and constant stress just doesn't seem worth it as much as I am loving having my summer off right now. I would love to do something tech related but have zero experience in anything other than education.

Kinda...

I went to college for agriculture and worked as a sales agronomist for 8.5 years. In that time I realized that I dislike sales, 90 hour work weeks in the spring, and some other parts of the job that I wont get into on here.

My experience differs from where you are because what I shifted to had been in the works for years. Throughout my post college life, my wife and I had been doing a little bit of photography. As time went by, we were picking up more and more interest and in 2015, my wife decided to quit her job and try to build up the photography business. It kind of exploded and within a few months it became obvious that I needed to either quit my job and help her or we would need to hire someone to help her. Since I wasn't really happy with where I was, the decision to quit was pretty easy.

In a normal year, I probably work close to the same hours that I did before and make less money. Health insurance and taxes are incredibly stressful and covid is wreaking havoc on us and our business.

I am happier though. We make enough money. We meet incredible people. I dont get into prolonged funks anymore and I dont dread getting up in the morning like I used to.

All of this is to say...if you aren't happy, make the change. It isnt ever to late to try something new. Also, even if it doesnt seem like it should, you will be amazed by how much your prior experience will help you with whatever route you choose moving forward.
only a fan, only an opinion
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#639 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Do you guys have a food/restaurant distributor store? I've only recently started going to Indianhead Food Service's warehouse store. It's better than a Sam's or Costco. Just picked up 10 thin pizza crusts, five lbs of spicy cooked frozen sausage, and six lbs of seasoned pizza sauce that I'm gonna portion out and freeze. $31.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#640 » by AussieBuck » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:So after doing it for the last 6 years or so, I think I am starting to realize that I would really like to get out of teaching. The lack of pay and constant stress just doesn't seem worth it as much as I am loving having my summer off right now. I would love to do something tech related but have zero experience in anything other than education.

Was a bricklayer for about a dozen years, gave a teaching degree a go, decided it was a terrible idea about 3/4 through and then dropped out and went back to manual labour. Did a stint selling and installing blinds and awnings then quit after a year or so to look after our 3 and 1 year Olds and do an economics degree.

These days I'm an economist working for a government department working on legislation and regulation for the most part.

Highly recommended getting the **** out of a job that makes you miserable, these days I'm better paid, not breaking my back and I've met a whole bunch of awesome new friends.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks