ImageImageImage

WCS Opts-Out / Trey Burke Opts-In

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

WCS Opts-Out / Trey Burke Opts-In 

Post#1 » by bran muffin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:04 pm

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29364979/source-willie-cauley-stein-opts-restart-mavericks-sign-trey-burke
Dallas Mavericks center Willie Cauley-Stein informed the team that he will opt out of the restart of the NBA season, opening up a roster spot the Mavs intend to fill by signing point guard Trey Burke, sources said.

Cauley-Stein, who expects to become a father in July, averaged 5.2 points and 4.6 rebounds in 13 games for the Mavs after being acquired in a January trade with the Golden State Warriors.

Burke, 27, who was waived by the Philadelphia 76ers in January, averaged 9.7 points and 2.6 assists in 25 games for the Mavs last season.

Trey Burke played well for the Mavs last season. He left because of the logjam at point guard. But with Brunson and Barea out of the picture, it makes perfect sense to bring him back.

WCS opted not to resume the season because he has a baby on the way in July. WCS barely played before COVID due to a death in the family. And now he's not playing because of a birth in the family. I don't think this necessarily means he will opt out of his contract after the season.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: WCS Opts-Out / Trey Burke Opts-In 

Post#2 » by JamesConway » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:15 pm

Good decision to pick up Burke, but I think we need another roll man now that WCS is out of the picture for Orlando. Quickly after Powell went down they traded for WCS. Makes sense to pick up another player of that mold Imo.

I'm rooting for Hartenstein. Fills the need for now (93rd percentile PnR finisher this season) and has developmental potential as well. But maybe they decide to roll with KP | Maxi | Boban this time?

I'd just waive the injured Lee and pick up a big.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#3 » by Sactowndog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm

bran muffin wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29364979/source-willie-cauley-stein-opts-restart-mavericks-sign-trey-burke
Dallas Mavericks center Willie Cauley-Stein informed the team that he will opt out of the restart of the NBA season, opening up a roster spot the Mavs intend to fill by signing point guard Trey Burke, sources said.

Cauley-Stein, who expects to become a father in July, averaged 5.2 points and 4.6 rebounds in 13 games for the Mavs after being acquired in a January trade with the Golden State Warriors.

Burke, 27, who was waived by the Philadelphia 76ers in January, averaged 9.7 points and 2.6 assists in 25 games for the Mavs last season.

Trey Burke played well for the Mavs last season. He left because of the logjam at point guard. But with Brunson and Barea out of the picture, it makes perfect sense to bring him back.

WCS opted not to resume the season because he has a baby on the way in July. WCS barely played before COVID due to a death in the family. And now he's not playing because of a birth in the family. I don't think this necessarily means he will opt out of his contract after the season.

WCS didn’t use it as an excuse but he is a sickle cell carrier and it is absolutely a risk factor. Hell I wouldn’t be surprised if the Mavs told him not to come. He has no business being in Orlando playing basketball.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#4 » by Darren » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:38 pm

The WCS deal doesn't look good right now. A second rounder is sent for free.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#5 » by BlueSan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:16 pm

People excited for Burke? jesus

And Instead of a Big WCS we get a small Burke sounds smart also
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 340

Post#6 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:08 am

Barea also rule out to play in Orlando due to injury? If yes, then we are without Lee/Barea/WCS/Brunson/Powell? Seems the rotation is still a bit short even we have added Burke.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#7 » by leolozon » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:38 pm

I don't know why, but I missed the news about Brunson having a surgery and I thought he would play... I can't say I'm that hopeful about the team making it to the 2nd round even if they reach the 6th or 5th seed and avoid the Clippers.

WCS was a competent player on the Mavs and he was somewhat important considering that the team doesn't have enough bigs. I could actually see some upside with WCS considering all he had to do was play defense and catch passes near the rim.

The Mavs were one of the deepest team in the league and now the rotations are shallow. Even more considering that Luka and Porzingis aren't the type of players I see playing 40mpg at a high level in the playoffs (not right now).

All is not all negative, considering that Delon, Seth and Maxi can all play bigger minutes than they did in the RS. I sometimes felt that they weren't given enough time. The team still has 7 competent players who I'm comfortable with if they played 30mpg, plus Boban who can play 10mpg. The team can still surprise us.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#8 » by JES12 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:54 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:without Lee/Barea/WCS/Brunson/Powell

I have been out of the loop a while. I was at the game when Powell went down. WCS opted out. But what is up with the other three?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#9 » by dirkforpres » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:49 pm

JES12 wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:without Lee/Barea/WCS/Brunson/Powell

I have been out of the loop a while. I was at the game when Powell went down. WCS opted out. But what is up with the other three?

Brunson hurt his shoulder and was declared out for the season in a game against Atlanta a while back and Lee had an off-court leg injury. I think he was mistaken including Barea in there. By all reports I’m showing, he’s fine
FIRE JASON KIDD
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Darren » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:53 pm

It would be fun to have Dirk around for coming playoff. Are Dirk interested to join the Mavs yet again?
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#11 » by fuller4379 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:08 pm

Trey is playing for his next contract. Great game yesterday.

Return to Dallas Mavericks