Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

darkse1d
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,830

Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win? 

Post#1 » by darkse1d » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:47 am

Looking at their roster, you have a healthy Kawhi, a healthy PG and a great supporting cast in Zubac, Beverley, Shamet, and Harrel. Then you got Lou, Reggie Jackson, Green and Morris coming off the bench.

They got lot of bodies to throw at Lebron as well and they got the lebron hater Noah on their team as well.

On top of that you got an experience coach that has won a ring before.

I think Clippers probably are the favorites to winning it, followed closely with Bucks and then Lakers a distant 3rd. I honestly don't see how any team can beat a healthy clippers team.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,088

Re: Are the Clippers stacked? 

Post#2 » by Bornstellar » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:48 am

Yes, they are pretty stacked from top to bottom. Like all of the teams Kawhi has played on
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win? 

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:53 am

iamtheking wrote:Looking at their roster, you have a healthy Kawhi, a healthy PG and a great supporting cast in Zubac, Beverley, Shamet, and Harrel. Then you got Lou, Reggie Jackson, Green and Morris coming off the bench.

They got lot of bodies to throw at Lebron as well and they got the lebron hater Noah on their team as well.

On top of that you got an experience coach that has won a ring before.

I think Clippers probably are the favorites to winning it, followed closely with Bucks and then Lakers a distant 3rd. I honestly don't see how any team can beat a healthy clippers team.

they wont win if george is healthy. they are worse than last years raps.

PG hurts that team. he is the anti-siakim
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,637

Post#4 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:02 am

Yes, they are stacked and could win it all. In hindsight, they are pretty comparable to the Champion Raptors squad if Kawhi stayed.

Lowry > Beverly
Green > Shamet
Kawhi = Kawhi
Siakam = Paul George (this season anyways)
Gasol >= Zubac
Van Vleet = Lou
Ibaka =< Harrell
Powell = Morris

Of course this is an over simplified way of looking at things and there’s no guarantee Siakam would have developed as much w/ Kawhi still on the squad but the point is the 2019 Raptors were a talented bunch outside of Kawhi.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,487

Post#5 » by Duffman100 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:04 am

They are my bet.

Though I do think Jackson and Morris were too smart for their own good. I would have kept Harkless.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#6 » by mademan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:06 am

i think theyre favs against the Lakers and dogs against the Bucks. I just cant see that FC stopping Giannis with shooters. At least the Lakers dont really have shooters
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,595

Post#7 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 am

I wouldn't sleep on the Rockets against them, they're the type of team that can attack whoever Lou is guarding
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,170

Post#8 » by PistolPeteJR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 am

How many of these threads have we had since last July and how many more are we to expect?

The answer is the same. Yes.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#9 » by Ill News » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:07 am

They're pretty deep, but it's hard to properly gauge how strong they really are because they keep sitting their guys. I think it was Bill Simmons who said he wanted to see the Clippers go on like a 10-game winning streak where they soundly beat contenders (like how the Lakers beat the Clips and Bucks right before the season got suspended) just to announce how dominant they are. But all they've done is chug and hum along, picking up wins consistently like a sleeper contender should (which is still impressive, btw).

I think they'll really be formidable in the playoffs though. If Kawhi and PG went full tilt for the season, they'd probably wouldve been the first seed.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#10 » by TheBoi10 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:40 am

Yes. They'll beat the Lakers in 5.
RaptorsJunkie
Pro Prospect
And1: 505

Post#11 » by RaptorsJunkie » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:47 am

The Raptors are favorites and will be going back to back.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#12 » by mcgrady_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:18 am

I never understood when people kept saying Kawhi leaving the Raptors would bring more parity to the league. The Clippers are stacked.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,008

Post#13 » by levon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:20 am

Lakers in 7 in 4
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,894

Post#14 » by lakerz12 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 am

mademan wrote:i think theyre favs against the Lakers and dogs against the Bucks. I just cant see that FC stopping Giannis with shooters. At least the Lakers dont really have shooters

How can you seriously put this in writing?

The Lakers have KCP, Cook, Green, Daniels, Caruso, LeBron, Kuzma...these guys can all shoot.

Shooting isn't their biggest strength but it doesn't make any sense to say they "don't really have shooters".

And oh by the way the Bucks and Lakers are almost identical in team 3pt%... LoL 35.6% vs. 35.5%
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,562

Post#15 » by BloodNinja » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 am

I wouldn't call anyone a fav to win. We've just had a few months off with no play. Who knows if the Clippers/Lakers/Bucks can recapture their momentum?
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,002

Post#16 » by raptor jesus » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:16 am

On paper, I think they're - by far - the best team in terms of top level talent and depth. But on the court, I'm skeptical that they'll figure out how to be best utilize their wealth of riches. Even in March they often looked like a team that just started playing together at the Y. I trust the Bucks a little more at this point; they've already figured out who they are, made a deep run last season, and I think their size presents matchup issues for the Clippers should they meet.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,725

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 am

lakerz12 wrote:
mademan wrote:i think theyre favs against the Lakers and dogs against the Bucks. I just cant see that FC stopping Giannis with shooters. At least the Lakers dont really have shooters
How can you seriously put this in writing? The Lakers have KCP, Cook, Green, Daniels, Caruso, LeBron, Kuzma...these guys can all shoot. Shooting isn't their biggest strength but it doesn't make any sense to say they "don't really have shooters". And oh by the way the Bucks and Lakers are almost identical in team 3pt%... LoL 35.6% vs. 35.5%
It's a pretty obvious point. Out of this list, Cook and Daniels barely play, Kuzma is sub-30% this year, Caruso's a backup who shoots 3s at low volume, and Lebron is obviously extremely far from a pure shooter. (Even KCP has shot league average or above only two years out of his 7).

They don't totally lack shooting options but it seems fair enough to say 'they really don't have deadeye shooters in their playoff rotation' (besides Green).
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,906

Post#18 » by Anticon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:58 am

Still a lot of chemistry questions to me. And a lot of those guys don't strike me as championship caliber players. Hard to describe how tired I am hearing about Shamet and Zubac, like no other team has role players.

I also don't agree with the Raps comparison. They had three elite or all star level talents along with Kawhi, the Clips have one.

But they have Kawhi and Doc, and if PG shows up, they will be dangerous. Not sure the Lakers roster is well built to handle them.
BigBoss23
Junior
And1: 484

Post#19 » by BigBoss23 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 am

raptor jesus wrote:On paper, I think they're - by far - the best team in terms of top level talent and depth. But on the court, I'm skeptical that they'll figure out how to be best utilize their wealth of riches. Even in March they often looked like a team that just started playing together at the Y. I trust the Bucks a little more at this point; they've already figured out who they are, made a deep run last season, and I think their size presents matchup issues for the Clippers should they meet.

I think the Clips match up better with the Lakers than vs the Bucks.

Raps last season had the interior size to deter Giannis in the paint and theyre superior to the current Clips in this regard. Davis for the Lakers while tall doesnt punish the Clips down low as much as the Bucks. Clips could let the big 2 of the Lakers combine for 60 a game and the remaining cast wont generate enough offense to beat them is my bet. The Bucks have a clear identity at least.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,300

Post#20 » by Tor_Raps » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:51 am

mcgrady_1 wrote:I never understood when people kept saying Kawhi leaving the Raptors would bring more parity to the league. The Clippers are stacked.

People were saying Kawhi not choosing the Lakers brought parity to the league.

Although as a biased Raptors fan, I also think you're right.

Return to The General Board