Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Re: Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win? 

Post#21 » by durka » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:03 am

They're stacked on the perimeter, but they seriously lack a presence in the middle on defense. In a 7 game series I think they have alot of trouble handling Giannis, AD or Embiid. Talent wise they're comparable to Raps, but the Raps had 30 games after the deadline last year to establish an alltime great defense. Siakam and PG are a wash at this point, but the Clips dont have a 3rd player close to being as good as Lowry or a defensive anchor anywhere near to Gasol. George and Kawhi both also constantly missed time and are still figuring eachother out.

I wouldn't at all be shocked if they win it all, but the question marks they have are real and I wouldnt say they are odds on favorites. Theres legit 6 or 7 teams that I could see things working out for. Seeding and playoff matchups are so crucial this year that I cant make a real prediction untill the brackets are set.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,294

Post#22 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:21 am

I think they are the best team on paper and have thought that since the beginning of the season, but load management might cost them.
In addition to having to face Dallas in the first round instead of Memphis/NO, they may end up facing Houston as well, which would be a way more difficult path than LaL, imo, if it shakes out that way. That not only increases the LAC risk of upset, but also their risk of injury.
The one bright side for them is they avoid a potential 7-game road series against the Lakers since all games are now played on a neutral site without fans.
And then the Bucks seem to have the easiest path of all of the 3 contenders (Lakers, Clips & Bucks based on regular season performance + star power), not to say they have an easy path but they won't face another team on that #1 tier until the Finals.
So on paper, I'd say the Clips are the favorites, but based on standings and conference alignment I think those 3 all have roughly the same chance of winning it all.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#23 » by Ill News » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:42 am

raptor jesus wrote:On paper, I think they're - by far - the best team in terms of top level talent and depth. But on the court, I'm skeptical that they'll figure out how to be best utilize their wealth of riches. Even in March they often looked like a team that just started playing together at the Y. I trust the Bucks a little more at this point; they've already figured out who they are, made a deep run last season, and I think their size presents matchup issues for the Clippers should they meet.

I think this is the Clippers' biggest problem, the lack of continuity and familiarity with playing with each other. Kawhi's always resting every three or four games, while PG missed quite a number of games to injury too. Coupled with reports that there might be friction in the locker room due to the load management issues (I think it was Harrell who voiced concerns), and it's easy to see them getting toppled by the Lakers, whose chemistry has been superior all season. It's a little nitpick of an issue, but who knows.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#24 » by illuminati666 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am

I'm sorry but the Lakers are the favourites no doubt IMO. When LeBron and AD are playing at their best, I don't think a single team in the league has what it takes to beat them. The Clippers are good but it doesn't feel like they've completely gelled as a team, sure it may be the injuries but they've never looked unstoppable to me. This Lakers team has had a few of those moments this season, and I think they should be considered the favourites by most fans.
Lebron>Kawhi
AD>PG
Clippers have the role player advantage but its the stars that matter to me. Losing Bradley is a big hit to the Lakers tho.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Post#25 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 pm

The game in March told me all I needed to know.. Both teams wanted to make a statement and the Lakers proved who's top dog. When it's the playoffs, Lakers would beat the Clippers quite handily. PG was always highly overrated. Kawhi has become overrated due to last year.
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#26 » by The Duke » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 pm

mcgrady_1 wrote:I never understood when people kept saying Kawhi leaving the Raptors would bring more parity to the league. The Clippers are stacked.

Wait i never heard this got take before.
If Kawhi stayed, Raptors would have gone back 2 back.

Kawhi going to clipps without PG might have bought more parity. Now clips are just stacked to win this all
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#27 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Clips are the favourites in the West, but I could see Lebron taking them out, just because he wants to prove he's still the best.

I imagine Kawhi is going to be well rested and will go full terminator mode.

...I just don't want Giannis to win
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,957

Post#28 » by Liam_Gallagher » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Did the Lakers get covid or am I missing something?
koningcosmo
Senior
And1: 636

Post#29 » by koningcosmo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:07 pm

no one is the favorite. Judging by how soccer teams are performing who already restarted in Europe, it shows they havent been playing for a long time. Yes they are in shape, but the chemistry etc is all gone. Maybe its easier in basketball to regain that, but i wouldnt be surprised if the first couple of games will suck and end up with alot of iso plays and weak/bad defense.

so to me a team that can regain their chemistry etc will have the upper hand if they start the playoffs, teams like Bucks and TOR who are longer together should gel faster. But we will see how it plays out.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#30 » by mcgrady_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:24 pm

The Duke wrote:
mcgrady_1 wrote:I never understood when people kept saying Kawhi leaving the Raptors would bring more parity to the league. The Clippers are stacked.

Kawhi going to clipps without PG might have bought more parity. Now clips are just stacked to win this all

I am 100% sure there were multiple threads about how the league has more parity than ever after Kawhi signed with the Clippers.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#31 » by Lunartic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:42 pm

mcgrady_1 wrote:
The Duke wrote:

I am 100% sure there were multiple threads about how the league has more parity than ever after Kawhi signed with the Clippers.

Unless Kawhi went to some mid level scrub team, his staying in Toronto would have made the Raps favorites, if he joined the Lakers they would have been the best team in NBA history, if he joined the Warriors Curry might not have been so shook and taken 9 months for a fracture, Bucks and it's stacked again, joining the Clippers at least created one more contender
OverAndOut
Junior
And1: 581

Post#32 » by OverAndOut » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Kawhi joining the Clippers made the West a 2 team race instead of a 1 team race.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#33 » by mcgrady_1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Lunartic wrote:
mcgrady_1 wrote:
The Duke wrote:

Unless Kawhi went to some mid level scrub team, his staying in Toronto would have made the Raps favorites, if he joined the Lakers they would have been the best team in NBA history, if he joined the Warriors Curry might not have been so shook and taken 9 months for a fracture, Bucks and it's stacked again, joining the Clippers at least created one more contender

I don't think it created one more contender. It just moved the contender status from Toronto to the Clippers.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,420

Post#34 » by NapoleonII » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:18 pm

I wouldn't trust Paul George to change a tire getting my team to the game in the playoffs.

Kawhi can give you 28-30 ppg and close out games, but he can't do it all.

Every team in the league would be more afraid of the Raps fully reloaded.

Clips?

They're not elite at shooting nor have an elite inside presence.

You're kidding yourself if you think finals will be anyone other than Lakers/Bucks
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,829

Post#35 » by SK21209 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:26 pm

We have a very strong roster but I still consider the Bucks as the favorite.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#36 » by Lunartic » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:14 pm

mcgrady_1 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
mcgrady_1 wrote:

I don't think it created one more contender. It just moved the contender status from Toronto to the Clippers.

The Raps are a top-3 team in the East and are pretty much one higher volume scoring perimeter player away from being contenders, someone like CJ McCollum/Beal would get elevate them

This year's Raps are better than last year's Clips
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#37 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Of the consensus top 3 I kinda see a rock/paper/scissors scenario

Clips > Lakers
Lakers > Bucks
Bucks > Clips

I've still got Boston as my darkhorse to throw a monkey wrench into that equation (if they can avoid Philly lol)
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#38 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm

No. They are a co-favorite with the Lakers and the Bucks. The Clippers have a flawed roster (very limited inside, not very good at the pg position) as do the Lakers and Bucks have issues.

It’s going to come down to which team can most effectively execute and exploit the other teams weaknesses.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#39 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 pm

PG is 6-42 with 4 seconds or less.

They are going to get swamped once teams stop covering him and focus on their only option, Kawhi. PG is going to get left open on purpose. Rightfully so.

Oh, and they have no C too.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#40 » by NatiboyB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Yes without a single doubt they have far too much depth along with 2 superstars and they have players who play hard like Pat Bev...I’d be extremely surprised if the clippers even lose 4 games total once the playoffs begin...of course with everyone bring healthy that is.

Return to The General Board