ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #6 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who is #6 on the your big board for the Knicks?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Obi Toppin
15%
Onyeka Okongwu
13%
Tyrese Haliburton
36%
Cole Anthony
6%
Devin Vassell
17%
Isaac Okoro
4%
Kira Lewis
4%
Other (Write in comments)
6%

Total votes: 53

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Re: NY Knicks 2020 Draft Big Board #6 Pick - 24 Hours to VOTE! 

Post#41 » by RHODEY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:I also don't think Oneyka is that same athlete as Bam either

I think Oneyka is a great athlete for his size. For example I think he is a better overall athlete then Obi Toppin. Obi has better verticle leaping (no question there). But OO is much more fluid and athlete with good feet that is switchable 1-5 and can guard in space. He moves side to side (even by showing his euro-step for a guy his size.

He is a good athlete for sure but I was comparing him to Bam. I think Bam is on another level of athleticism. Bam just moves like a guard and has insane hops. Onyeka doesn't really move like him and vertically, Bam blows him out the water in that aspect.

In terms of Obi vs Onyeka, I don't really ever see Onyeka being a star player, and I think Obi just has that star potential even with his bad D. I can be wrong though but that's just how I view them 2. I think Onyeka's ceiling is a high end rotation player. Still not a bad player but I want someone who can be a star so I rather roll the dice on Obi

I think this is the guy everybody(including me!) has been sleeping on. I'm seeing a player with no wmajor weaknesses, really good fundamentals , is two,way, smart, strong AND athletic I absolutely would take him over Obi.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#42 » by Worst_to_First » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

We are going to get tired of keeping on voting for Obi in these polls LOL.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,045

Post#43 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 pm

moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
knickstape21 wrote:
Agreed with you on this and I’ll also say over Obi as well. I buy the flashes to create own shot, put the ball on the floor, and knock down the 3. He’s a worker.

He can play as the primary big or next to Robinson. Versatility... shocked we don’t discuss him more often.

Yeah I can probably talk myself into taking him over Obi too. He is def one of the most underrated players in this draft

Achiuwa is mechanical and stiff offensively and hes not near the defensive player Okongwu is. Theres a reason Okongwu is much higher in most every mock draft.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Achiuwa doesn’t seem stiff to me at all

Okongwu being higher than Achiuwa in mocks doesn’t mean much to me though. We’ve seen guys like Devin Booker, Bam, Mitchell, etc fall in drafts and they’re the best of their respective classes. Frank was picked ahead of Donovan Mitchell.. SGA ahead of Knox.. list goes on.

I just think that Achiuwa is a better prospect even if most mocks disagree.

For what it’s worth, DX has Okongwu going 5th and Achiuwa at 8. So there’s not really a big gap either
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#44 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:08 pm

moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Surprised that Vassell has a lot of support at #6. I personally would take everyone else on this poll over him

So would I. Folks love them some 3 and D too much. They're still too focused on fit when the team has more pressing needs.

Facts
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#45 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

We are going to get tired of keeping on voting for Obi in these polls LOL.

Yeah he might not come off the board until pick 10 at this rate :lol:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#46 » by god shammgod » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:39 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Surprised that Vassell has a lot of support at #6. I personally would take everyone else on this poll over him

So would I. Folks love them some 3 and D too much. They're still too focused on fit when the team has more pressing needs.

Facts

haliburton is 3 & d. he aint gonna be a starting point guard in the league. he's frank where the jumpers go in more often. maybe.
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#47 » by knickstape21 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Yeah I can probably talk myself into taking him over Obi too. He is def one of the most underrated players in this draft

Achiuwa is mechanical and stiff offensively and hes not near the defensive player Okongwu is. Theres a reason Okongwu is much higher in most every mock draft.

Okongwu being higher than Achiuwa in mocks doesn’t mean much to me though. We’ve seen guys like Devin Booker, Bam, Mitchell, etc fall in drafts and they’re the best of their respective classes. Frank was picked ahead of Donovan Mitchell.. SGA ahead of Knox.. list goes on.

For what it’s worth, DX has Okongwu going 5th and Achiuwa at 8. So there’s not really a big gap either

Yeah not sure where the stiff comes from. Maybe a little clunky? He’s the same size as Okongwu moving around like that and has a much better feel with the ball and shooting the ball than Okongwu.

This is a dude that can grab a rebound and go coast to coast and dunk on people’s heads. Nothing stiff about that.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#48 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Yeah I can probably talk myself into taking him over Obi too. He is def one of the most underrated players in this draft

Achiuwa

God bless you.
Free Palestine
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#49 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:54 pm

god shammgod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Facts

haliburton is 3 & d. he aint gonna be a starting point guard in the league. he's frank where the jumpers go in more often. maybe.

Haliburton has elite court vision though. The only similarity between him and frank are the basic handles.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#50 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:14 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:for anyone voting other I would really appreciate you guys putting it in the comment section so that I can add those players next time or if eventually it gets to a point where it will later where other might get highest ranking I need to be able to calculate what the "others" are.

Aleksej Pokuševski

Tankathon's big board has him at #10 and it's a speculative pick anywhere in the lottery, for sure, but I think by this point taking a punt on unicornness is probably the way to go. (RJ may be fine, but the shooting has to prevent anyone from taking him as a first or second best player on a team, at least for now ... so NYK can't just be adding hopefully solid pieces .. there's nothing to add to really yet.)
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#51 » by 2010 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 am

god shammgod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Facts

That's pretty valuable tho. Like imagine how nutty this board would be if Frank actually hit his jumpers consistently. Dudes would be crowning him. So if that is Haliburton's floor, we'd be in great shape.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#52 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:03 am

moocow007 wrote:

I logged in just to check if Vassell was still in the lead. :lol: I think we’ve like barely talked about him in any of the draft threads for him to have this many votes.

My guess is there’s a group of posters here, that don’t think there’s a star in this draft and want to keep it safe, so we at least end up with something. That’s not my philosophy but I can see their thought process behind it.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,396

Post#53 » by Strick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:21 am

Idk if I have seen a draft class with more bizarre shooting forms. There are some funky ass shots :lol:
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#54 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 am

2010 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Facts

That's pretty valuable tho. Like imagine how nutty this board would be if Frank actually hit his jumpers consistently. Dudes would be crowning him. So if that is Haliburton's floor, we'd be in great shape.

Frank with a good jumper is an above average player. If we got that player at his pick range, that's really good.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#55 » by aq_ua » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:20 am

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I logged in just to check if Vassell was still in the lead. :lol: I think we’ve like barely talked about him in any of the draft threads for him to have this many votes.

My guess is there’s a group of posters here, that don’t think there’s a star in this draft and want to keep it safe, so we at least end up with something. That’s not my philosophy but I can see their thought process behind it.

Yup, I am certainly in that bucket of not wanting to potentially waste a lottery pick. Beyond that, though, it's become so much harder for a front court player to develop into a star without some really incredible guard-like skills. Take a John Collins - a 20/10 guy shooting 58% would be a possible MVP candidate in an earlier era, but it's not even clear he'll get a max extension. I think the room for error for drafting a front court player in the lottery has become incredibly slim, and I just don't have the level of conviction necessary on any of these candidates.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,204

Post#56 » by mpharris36 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 am

aq_ua wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Yup, I am certainly in that bucket of not wanting to potentially waste a lottery pick. Beyond that, though, it's become so much harder for a front court player to develop into a star without some really incredible guard-like skills. Take a John Collins - a 20/10 guy shooting 58% would be a possible MVP candidate in an earlier era, but it's not even clear he'll get a max extension. I think the room for error for drafting a front court player in the lottery has become incredibly slim, and I just don't have the level of conviction necessary on any of these candidates.

I just think front court defense has come more and more important. You just can't hide big guys that are bad defenders. With all the screens and spacing you need your bigs to be versatile in terms of switching at times and guarding in space while also being able to recover.

Even some of the great offensive bigs that don't play defense are on some of the worst records in the NBA.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#57 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 am

aq_ua wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Agreed. A bunch of tweener 6'9" guys who mainly dunk.

Switch to my KP-lite guy. :D

Pokuševski ftw
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#58 » by aq_ua » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:35 am

mpharris36 wrote:
aq_ua wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:

I just think front court defense has come more and more important. You just can't hide big guys that are bad defenders. With all the screens and spacing you need your bigs to be versatile in terms of switching at times and guarding in space while also being able to recover.

Even some of the great offensive bigs that don't play defense are on some of the worst records in the NBA.

Agreed, nowadays, a star front court player needs to be able to guard the perimeter on defense while stretching the floor on offense, all the while rebounding and providing interior defense. It's an incredible ask when you think about it.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,285

Post#59 » by RHODEY » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 am

knickstape21 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Yeah not sure where the stiff comes from. Maybe a little clunky? He’s the same size as Okongwu moving around like that and has a much better feel with the ball and shooting the ball than Okongwu.

This is a dude that can grab a rebound and go coast to coast and dunk on people’s heads. Nothing stiff about that.

There's dunking ability and there's offensive feel...I think the Stephien had interesting takes on the two, They feel Okongwu projects as a starter while Precoius projects to be a high level bench player....

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#60 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 am

At minimum, you need your big to protect the rim. That’s the easiest way you can impact the game and add value to your team. Anything else you can do is a huge plus. With the exception of the Joker the rest of the great bigs in the league block shots. Add a jumper and you’ve got a chance at an all star.

That’s why I don’t really want Toppin. It’s great that he shoots threes but if he can’t guard the rim its like watching Bobby Portis out there. What’s his ceiling? Is a bouncier Kevin Love still an all star in 2020? I don’t think so.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w

Return to New York Knicks