ImageImage

Find POR traditional wing who can score

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Jamal23
Junior
And1: 18

Find POR traditional wing who can score 

Post#1 » by Jamal23 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:27 pm

I think POR needs a traditional who can score. Having a third option around should help this team greatly! They have the assets who can they get?
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 133

Re: Find POR traditional wing who can score 

Post#2 » by ebott » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:14 am

They don't
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#3 » by d-train » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 pm

Blazers are absolutely loaded with wings that can score. Melo, Hood, and Trent have plenty of scoring ability, especially for a 4th option. Most teams don't have a 4th option with great scoring ability. Melo and Hood can score and create off the dribble like some teams 1st or 2nd option.

Blazers need defense from their 3. Not just good team defense, Blazers need an on-the-ball defender that can change the options of opponents with their man-on-man defensive skills. Otherwise, we may as well go with offense and outscore our opponent, which is something we are probably more capable of doing.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#4 » by Goldbum » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Devin Vassell
Sadiq Bey
Aaron Nesmith
Whichever falls to our pick.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#5 » by GEE » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:32 am

d-train wrote:Blazers are absolutely loaded with wings that can score. Melo, Hood, and Trent have plenty of scoring ability, especially for a 4th option. Most teams don't have a 4th option with great scoring ability. Melo and Hood can score and create off the dribble like some teams 1st or 2nd option.

Blazers need defense from their 3. Not just good team defense, Blazers need an on-the-ball defender that can change the options of opponents with their man-on-man defensive skills. Otherwise, we may as well go with offense and outscore our opponent, which is something we are probably more capable of doing.

Side note:

I read recently (can't remember where), that due to Hood's inability (months ago) to do much working out of his lower body, he decided to focus on his upper body strength, realizing that he needed to get stronger to better defend today's bigger and stronger SFs. A reference to "Popeye" was mentioned.

Oh, and to the OP... he can definitely score.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#6 » by Blazinaway » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:34 pm

d-train wrote:Blazers are absolutely loaded with wings that can score. Melo, Hood, and Trent have plenty of scoring ability, especially for a 4th option. Most teams don't have a 4th option with great scoring ability. Melo and Hood can score and create off the dribble like some teams 1st or 2nd option.

fall back option - bring back Harkless for cheap next yr? Would prefer other options but we may not have them at SF
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:29 pm

fall back option - bring back Harkless for cheap next yr? Would prefer other options but we may not have them at SF

I still think Hark was underrated his entire tenure here, but IDK if he would be needed. If we are not getting a substantial upgrade at SF, I would roll with Ariza (Who has shown a better offensive game than Hark ever did) using a platoon of Trent / Little / FRP as his backup until Hood is healthy.

We forget how well Hood was playing before injury, and with injury + COVID FA market, there isn't a chance in hell he doesn't opt into that PO. At this point I would take Ariza, Hood and probably Trent over Harkless, especially considering we would have to pay Hark some money. Hark hasn't really been an average starter since 16/17 anyways.
d-train
RealGM

Post#8 » by d-train » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:40 pm

There will be lots of SF's looking for a new home after this season including Ariza. Harkless is one of many good ones. There could be some good ones available via trade as well.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#9 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:15 pm

Deleted.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#10 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:46 pm

I wonder what it would take to move up for Deni. I am completely sold on him and would probably offer 14, 2021 FRP and Simons. Seems like a lot of assets, but if it brings back the SF we have been looking for since Batum, it would be worth the haul. And his experience playing against men already bodes well for a quick transition. I think he is one of those rare day one rookie starters.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#11 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Deleted.
d-train
RealGM

Post#12 » by d-train » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 pm

I have no personal opinion on the quality of this draft. I will say that even a great draft has only 4 or 5 players projected to be good enough to contribute immediately. Blazers should definitely look at this draft because guaranteed contracts to draft picks might be considered an expensive luxury to many teams this offseason. IOW, prices might be low on acquiring a pick.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#13 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I wonder what it would take to move up for Deni. I am completely sold on him and would probably offer 14, 2021 FRP and Simons. Seems like a lot of assets, but if it brings back the SF we have been looking for since Batum, it would be worth the haul. And his experience playing against men already bodes well for a quick transition. I think he is one of those rare day one rookie starters.

Yeah, I think Deni could be a Batum like player too, which would be an awesome fit for our team. He might be a disappointment with a high lottery pick, but if he falls to the right pick and the price is right I would pull the trigger.

Actually if I moved up the guy I would really want to target is Okongwu. I just have a feeling we will look back on this draft and while he might not be the best player he will be a player that everyone wishes they had on their team.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#14 » by Goldbum » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:50 pm

I dont think Deni is a plus defender against NBA wings in space. To me thats a big problem if I'm looking at moving up for a guy as the roster currently stands. I think he would be a near perfect fit in our second unit at the PF position as a skilled 4 who makes up for Little's short comings but as our long term SF he's got problems.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#15 » by GEE » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:16 pm

I want KYLE KUZMA !!!

Portland trade: Little / FRP / (whatever else it takes)
Lakers trade: Kyle freakin Kuzma

Dame / Simons
CJ / Trent
Hood / Kuzma
Collins / Melo
Nurkic / Whiteside

3rd string, don't care! This looks really really good to me. Let's get it this done N.O. :pray:
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 pm

I would rather keep Little and our 1st round pick. Kuzma is a good player but is nothing special. He doesn't make us better at anything. I would like to improve our perimeter defense, box not checked by Kuzma. It never hurts to improve our shot making, Kuzma can shoot, but no improvement, so box not checked. I'll keep Little and our 1st, and continue our internal development. If Lakers come to us with a bargain, that might change the calculation.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#17 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:31 pm

I really dislike Kuzma, and he absolutely a PF not a SF. His personality and limelight seeking bode to him not wanting to resign here too. He just seems very immature despite being on a team filled with veteran, win now guys. You would think that would rub off on him, but he seems to be the same guy. He also hasn't shot the 3 even mediocre since his rookie season. Kid is at under 30% this year so far.

I dont think Deni is a plus defender against NBA wings in space. To me thats a big problem if I'm looking at moving up for a guy as the roster currently stands. I think he would be a near perfect fit in our second unit at the PF position as a skilled 4 who makes up for Little's short comings but as our long term SF he's got problems.

I think he will be a high enough BBall IQ guy to mitigate some shortcomings on defense. He is tremendously fluid in the open court but there are some worries about his half court lateral defensive abilities. I do love the idea of how well his skillset compliments Little.

With our financial commitment to CJ I really think Simons should be the bait we use in any trade up. We can target the plethora of PG prospects with our SRP. There are like 10+ guys that should be there and have tons of potential. (Grant Riller, Ashton Hagans, Malachi Flynn, Tre Jones, Markus Howard, etc.). I am really liking Howard, I think he can be a Patty Mills level backup.

There are even some people projecting Nico to fall to the 40's. He would be the most pure backup PG we have had since Sergio, albeit with a lot of the same warts (Perennial defensive liability, streaky shooter) but he sure as hell can run a team IMO.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#18 » by Goldbum » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:13 am

Another guy I like to compliment Little and our young guards in the 2nd unit is Killian Tillie. Could be a steal at #44
Ant
GTJ
Little
Tillie
Whiteside
d-train
RealGM

Post#19 » by d-train » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I really dislike Kuzma, and he absolutely a PF not a SF. His personality and limelight seeking bode to him not wanting to resign here too. He just seems very immature despite being on a team filled with veteran, win now guys. You would think that would rub off on him, but he seems to be the same guy. He also hasn't shot the 3 even mediocre since his rookie season. Kid is at under 30% this year so far.

Kuzma is more of a scorer than a shooter. He can score in a free-flowing offensive system. He's less effective in a structured hierarchical matchup system. Lakers have become a structured offense that runs everything through LeBron and Davis. Players that can play off LeBron's and Davis's action do better with Lakers.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#20 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 pm

Another guy I like to compliment Little and our young guards in the 2nd unit is Killian Tillie. Could be a steal at #44

I like Tillie, but have some reservations about him being able to guard PF's in this league. He can also be maddingly passive at times. He shouldn't be a 12ppg guy in college, albeit the Gonzaga system is very platoon'ish. I could see him being a better pro than college player. Something like a softer version of Maxi Kleber, but more PF than C.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers