ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown Picks Raptors to Beat Bucks to Go to Finals

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,738

Re: Coach Nick of BBallBreakdown Picks Raptors to Beat Bucks to Go to Finals 

Post#41 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:03 am

Tacoma wrote:
Roco14 wrote:Is Giannis gonna want to join us after being beat up on 3 times?

MIL has had excellent supporting casts for Giannis enabling the best regular season record for 2 of the past 3 seasons. If we beat up on him for the 3rd straight time, that would make him like a rich man's DeRozan - a playoff choker unable to carry his team to an NBA Finals. Whether he wants to join us or not... do we even want to sign a guy like that and give him a max contract?

it's a team game. if we win it's because our defense was elite, and we were a better team, not because he choked. Sorry if that ruins your oversimplification of losing as always choking, or your oh so original insult to derozan.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#42 » by fbalmeida » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:12 am

Coach Nick is a smart man.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,182

Post#43 » by djsunyc » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:56 pm

this stoppage in play is unprecedented. games with no crowds will be unprecedented. there is really no telling how any team will perform in these situations.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,214

Post#44 » by niQ » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:29 pm

Hey, anything is possible when we have Norman "Bucks Killer" Powell.

Spoiler:
But would still prefer if Miami knocked them out.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#45 » by Bankai » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:05 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:

Yes.

Giannis pulls a Kevin Durant. If you cant beat em, join em.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,580

Post#46 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:10 pm

The heat beating them for us would be ideal
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,092

Post#47 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:13 pm

Raptors_Dynasty wrote:I value his opinion, more so than other "reporters"

I just hope we have enough fire power when it gets tough.

I think he's a little too "coach" focused rather than "talent" focused. Usually, talent wins in the NBA. Last season, Raps had more actual talent than anyone else. Except possibly the Sixers, but they had/have a coach who doesn't know how to use talent.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#48 » by omar36 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:The heat beating them for us would be ideal

all miami has over them is coaching. the talent differnce is too much. i really do like miamis young players like herro and bam tho
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#49 » by howlin mad axer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm

I only care what the real Coach Nick thinks.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,371

Post#50 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm

omar36 wrote:

all miami has over them is coaching. the talent differnce is too much. i really do like miamis young players like herro and bam tho

People here criminally underrate Bud. That Bucks roster (outside of Giannis) is filled with misfits and former scrubs that Bud has turned into cogs in a well oiled machine. Bud is easily a top-5 coach in the NBA.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#51 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Its honestly way too hard to predict we could very well lose in 5 or swept I was more confident last year because our team was the better team with 5he best player. I can confidently say our top 8 playoff rotation is the most balanced and experienced in the league but lacking on top heavy talent.
Read
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,885

Post#52 » by Tacoma » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Tacoma wrote:

MIL has had excellent supporting casts for Giannis enabling the best regular season record for 2 of the past 3 seasons. If we beat up on him for the 3rd straight time, that would make him like a rich man's DeRozan - a playoff choker unable to carry his team to an NBA Finals. Whether he wants to join us or not... do we even want to sign a guy like that and give him a max contract?

it's a team game. if we win it's because our defense was elite, and we were a better team, not because he choked. Sorry if that ruins your oversimplification of losing as always choking, or your oh so original insult to derozan.

"it's a team game. if we win it's because our defense..." LMAO, talk about oversimplification and your oh so original clichés. Of course it's a team game and defense wins. :roll: Like I said, MIL has a good supporting cast and has an excellent team and it will be a disappointment if they don't make the NBA Finals, questions will be raised whether Giannis can carry a team and win in the playoffs.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,106

Post#53 » by The Warrior » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:32 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
omar36 wrote:

People here criminally underrate Bud. That Bucks roster (outside of Giannis) is filled with misfits and former scrubs that Bud has turned into cogs in a well oiled machine. Bud is easily a top-5 coach in the NBA.

Best coach in the NBA

Spoiler:
In the regular season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#54 » by omar36 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:07 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
omar36 wrote:

i think hes fine, i just think spo is better at coaching. if miami win, its going to be bc of him. talent wise bucks are much stronger.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#55 » by Sandman88 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm

How well we do depends on a lot. Norm has to maintain his pace, Gasol has to impact the game, pascal has to shine in the moment and Kyle just has to be Kyle.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,371

Post#56 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 pm

The Warrior wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
omar36 wrote:

Best coach in the NBA

Spoiler:
In the regular season

His playoff performances were never bad. He just went up against better teams. He took a Hawks team without a single superstar to 60+ wins and the ECF, where he lost to Lebron.

He took a Bucks team that won 44 games the year prior to 60+ wins and lost in the ECF to a better team (Kawhi had a much better supporting cast than Giannis, and I'd argue that Kawhi is also a more dynamic player than Giannis).
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,371

Post#57 » by phanman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Taking a look our series with them last year it is definitely going to be difficult for us to put them away. Kawhi was straight up dominant throughout the series and Lowry, Freddy, Norm and Gasol were lights out from 3. Pascal struggled to score consistently and without Kawhi there it could be more the same when he gets that full attention.

Especially considering the two regular season matchups with the Bucks where we went 0-2:
- November 2nd 105-115 loss: 16pts, 5reb, 1ast, 1stl on 7/19 FG (2/6 3pa) & 1/2 FTs
- Feb 25 108-97 loss: 22pts, 6reb, 3ast, 1blk on 6/14 FGA (5/9 3pa) & 5/7 FTs albeit without Gasol and Norm.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,738

Post#58 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 am

Tacoma wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Tacoma wrote:

"it's a team game. if we win it's because our defense..." LMAO, talk about oversimplification and your oh so original clichés. Of course it's a team game and defense wins. :roll: Like I said, MIL has a good supporting cast and has an excellent team and it will be a disappointment if they don't make the NBA Finals, questions will be raised whether Giannis can carry a team and win in the playoffs.

Maybe look at how that team is built and what it's exploitable weakness are against the better teams in the league. And maybe think about how forever some of us said that the Raptors weren't ever built right to win it all. But yeah.... "choked". That's it... that's what every team that that finished ahead in the standings does :roll:

You mean like last year when the bucks ended up expected to make the finals? Hmmm... elite defense or the ever brilliant "bucks choked".. yeah real tough to see which is the oversimplification.

Yeah that would make Giannis an incapable choker all of a sudden... yeah excellent supporting cast...

:lol:
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#59 » by Raptors_128 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:57 am

If our guys don’t show up offensively like the series with the Sixers last year, it’s going to be really tough to get past the Bucks.
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#60 » by Young Moosehead » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

Best coach in the NBA

Spoiler:
In the regular season

His playoff performances were never bad. He just went up against better teams. He took a Hawks team without a single superstar to 60+ wins and the ECF, where he lost to Lebron.

He took a Bucks team that won 44 games the year prior to 60+ wins and lost in the ECF to a better team (Kawhi had a much better supporting cast than Giannis, and I'd argue that Kawhi is also a more dynamic player than Giannis).

Bud is a rich man's Casey. Like Dwayne he is liked by players and he is able to come up with a system that fits his pieces well enough to beat up on bad teams and get some wins against good teams in the regular season when there is less prep. However, over a series coaches like Pop, Spo, Stevens or Nurse will pick their systems apart if the overall talent level is close.

That 2014-15 Hawk team might not have had a superstar, but they did have a well built team. The Hawks had built a strong young bench mob (Michael Scott, Bazemore and Schroeder) led by a solid veteran (Thabo). Their starting line-up had Milsap and Horford and Carroll in their prime. Motivated by his first big contract opportunity Carroll had the 2nd best statistical year of his entire career, that year. Kyle Korver also had his 2nd best statistical year overall, and arguably had the best volume 3pt shooting season in his career (Career high 3PM and the 2nd highest 3pt% and point total in his career). That season was a confluence of fortunate events around a solid, deep team. Point in fact, the year before Bud led essentially the exact same roster plus Lou Williams to a losing 38-44 record, luckily sneaking into the playoffs to get beat in the first round. In fact, no other of Coach Bud Hawks team won more than 48 games.

As for the 20+ game improvement when Bud went to the Bucks: Had the Bucks had any decent NBA coach instead of Jason Kidd that improvement would not have been nearly as dramatic.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV

Return to Toronto Raptors