Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Continue the discussion here.

Remember this isn't a politics thread. Keep the political discussion to areas involving COVID-19.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#2 » by TheStig » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:41 pm

@Doug

I think his massive denial strategy works because the media was keen to pick him apart over ever little thing. It's grown a lot of distrust and polarization.

The media is also polarized by design. It used to be you had to give equal time to both sides. Now they just have their own networks. Watch fox and msnbc each for 15 minutes and you'll think you're in another world.

Lastly, there is just too much money in this game. It's government. They really need to strip out these pacs and big money. In today's world, there is no reason the presidential fund isn't enough with all the news that comes for free in youtube, twitter and facebook.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#3 » by TheFinishSniper » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Hoping for vaccine by September. Distribution till end of October.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#4 » by 2018C3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:24 am

TheFinishSniper wrote:Hoping for vaccine by September. Distribution till end of October.

I hope also, but that outcome is very unlikely. The entire the Coronavirus family is very resistant to vacines, and in the past we never found one for either SARS or MERS, both of which are similar.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

Post#5 » by dice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 am

phony face mask exemption cards being sold online:

pretty well done...except that there's no such thing in government as the FTBA (freedom to breathe agency)
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 am

apparently after the first round of flawed CDC test kits was shipped out (declining to acquire WHO tests as a backup), the FDA began allowing alternative tests on an emergency basis. hundreds of companies shipped tests all over the country...and many of those were also flawed. only in may did the FDA begin to require companies to submit data on the accuracy of their tests:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-antibody-testing-inaccurate-data-60-minutes-2020-06-28/
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#7 » by ImSlower » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 am

dice wrote:phony face mask exemption cards being sold online:

pretty well done...except that there's no such thing in government as the FTBA (freedom to breathe agency)

An uncle just today said "I got mine". I took the bait and linked him some debunkage, but his response was a Freedom meme, so I don't think I should have bothered. I should add that I lost an uncle on the other side of my family to COVID, though I don't expect ol' Unc to know that.
dice
RealGM

Post#8 » by dice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 am

ImSlower wrote:

An uncle just today said "I got mine". I took the bait and linked him some debunkage, but his response was a Freedom meme, so I don't think I should have bothered. I should add that I lost an uncle on the other side of my family to COVID, though I don't expect ol' Unc to know that.

nobody who depends on their employer for their health insurance has any real freedom

tell your uncle to be sure to wear pants when he leaves the house tomorrow because the government requires it
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#9 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:03 am

And except for the typos and poor grammar. It actually reads like it was written by a moron.

How does one wear “a face mask posses”?

First, are there face mask posses? If so, how does one wear a group of men on one’s face? Let alone plural posses? And by definition one cannot wear “a” face mask posses. It would just be the multiple posses on your face, even if you did find them and figure out how to wear them.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM

Post#10 » by dice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 am

DuckIII wrote:

And except for the typos and poor grammar. It actually reads like it was written by a moron.

true...if you read it carefully. but if you're some minimum wage worker at target making sure that the people who come in are wearing masks, you skim over it and see that you are potentially subject to penalty if you deny entrance. hopefully that employee would ask the customer to wait while a manager is consulted, but i think the card would work on occasion
TheStig
RealGM

Post#11 » by TheStig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:52 am

dice wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

true...if you read it carefully. but if you're some minimum wage worker at target making sure that the people who come in are wearing masks, you skim over it and see that you are potentially subject to penalty if you deny entrance. hopefully that employee would ask the customer to wait while a manager is consulted, but i think the card would work on occasion

Eh they'll get a memo to be on the look out for this in a day or two and the chump who bought this will be out $9.99.
dice
RealGM

Post#12 » by dice » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:58 am

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Eh they'll get a memo to be on the look out for this in a day or two and the chump who bought this will be out $9.99.

less hassle just to put the damn mask on. these are attention seekers
TheStig
RealGM

Post#13 » by TheStig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:true...if you read it carefully. but if you're some minimum wage worker at target making sure that the people who come in are wearing masks, you skim over it and see that you are potentially subject to penalty if you deny entrance. hopefully that employee would ask the customer to wait while a manager is consulted, but i think the card would work on occasion

less hassle just to put the damn mask on. these are attention seekers

They think they're liberating themselves :roll:

and it was damn hot under my mask today lol
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#14 » by ImSlower » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 am

Well my cousins shamed their dad into admitting it was a stupid idea to print one of those out. Not clear if he actually purchased one or if some of those things link to a page with the file, and he printed. I'm not gonna ask. Love my Unc but he's the definition of a hoosier (St Louis slang not an Indianan)
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#15 » by TheFinishSniper » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm

2018C3 wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:Hoping for vaccine by September. Distribution till end of October.

I hope also, but that outcome is very unlikely. The entire the Coronavirus family is very resistant to vacines, and in the past we never found one for either SARS or MERS, both of which are similar.

There are some hopes. It wont be only one vaccine, there will be multiple ones. Not sure September is still a target for all of them. But must be close to that.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#16 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 pm

TheStig wrote:@Doug

I think his massive denial strategy works because the media was keen to pick him apart over ever little thing. It's grown a lot of distrust and polarization.

The media is also polarized by design. It used to be you had to give equal time to both sides. Now they just have their own networks. Watch fox and msnbc each for 15 minutes and you'll think you're in another world.

Lastly, there is just too much money in this game. It's government. They really need to strip out these pacs and big money. In today's world, there is no reason the presidential fund isn't enough with all the news that comes for free in youtube, twitter and facebook.

His denial strategy works because people are ready to deny it.

The country is fully polarized.

25 percent of the country on the far right. Add another 25 percent to the far left.

It's done.

Critical mass is achieved for both groups.

The only saving grace here is that the Democrats have resisted the far left for at least 12 years now.

Meanwhile, the Republican party has completely succumbed to the Far right.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#17 » by PlayerUp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:The only saving grace here is that the Democrats have resisted the far left for at least 12 years now.

Far left is growing rapidly. Just need a strong candidate who supports the far left and they may take the democrat nominee. Just a matter of time.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 pm

dice wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

My guess is it would work almost always until employees are trained about the fraud. I was just making fun of it’s stupidity.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by DuckIII » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:47 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:The only saving grace here is that the Democrats have resisted the far left for at least 12 years now.

Far left is growing rapidly. Just need a strong candidate who supports the far left and they may take the democrat nominee. Just a matter of time.

And then that far left nominee gets slaughtered in a general election because huge numbers of moderate democrats would not support the candidate (unless it was to unseat someone extreme like Trump).
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,122

Post#20 » by molepharmer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:55 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
2018C3 wrote:

There are some hopes. It wont be only one vaccine, there will be multiple ones. Not sure September is still a target for all of them. But must be close to that.
An article on the current state of vaccines.

In short, 16 vaccines currently in clinical trials and "...A number of vaccine producers say they are aiming for an autumn rollout. Some scientists guesstimate that vaccines could be more widely available in early 2021 in Europe and North America. The challenge of manufacturing billions of doses of vaccines, especially in the case of newer platforms, should not be underestimated."

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/explainer-how-is-the-vaccine-pipeline-for-covid-19-looking/4012068.article?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=aefe145d47-briefing-dy-20200629_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-aefe145d47-45255538

And then there's this question.
The line is forming for a COVID-19 vaccine. Who should be at the front?
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/line-forming-covid-19-vaccine-who-should-be-front?utm_source=Nature+Briefing&utm_campaign=aefe145d47-briefing-dy-20200629_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c9dfd39373-aefe145d47-45255538
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."

Return to Chicago Bulls