Are the Bucks fool's gold?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Re: Are the Bucks fool's gold? 

Post#121 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:08 am

tonyreyes123 wrote:I'm a Bucks fan but i have a feeling they're gonna fold again

I don't have a feeling as such but yeah nothing would surprise me. And to be brutally honest I don't really GAF, I get to watch great basketball and to me anything else is gravy.

Since we got rid of Kidd I have a permanent smile on my face whenever I think of the Bucks :D
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Post#122 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:57 am

Profound23 wrote:Hard to be considered fool's gold when very few people even believe you are gold. Outside of Buck fans and a select few media people, nobody is picking the Bucks.

Hell, I have been hearing more about Boston and Philly than Milwaukee and Toronto which is just crazy.

You're kidding right? Just about everyone has the Bucks coming out of the East. TV segments like ''Who's the biggest threat to the Bucks?" doesn't mean they're picking someone but the Bucks to win the East.
The Bucks are heavy favorites to come out of the East and rightly so. They are no fools gold to me. A team lead by arguably the best player in the league and one of the best coaches in the league deserves to be talked about in high regard.
You are right about Philly though, they have no business being mentioned in the same breath as the Bucks, Raptors, and Celtics. But the media keeps pushing this narrative of ''Healthy Simmons & Embiid are gonna lead philly to the promised land''. They've been trash all season with those two healthy so don't know why they'll make a difference all of the sudden. :lol:
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,311

Post#123 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:08 am

The Raptors are becoming overrated.

Siakam's 'improvement' this year is a bit of a myth.

If the Celtics had a good post defender, they'd be my best bet to knock out the Bucks, but they don't.

Don't really see a team in the East stopping Giannis this season.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#124 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 am

Optms wrote:They are the Raptors of the East pre-Kawhi and the Atlanta Hawks before that. Not sure how anyone can see different.

Maybe because they have the league's best player(or 2nd to appease Laker/Lebron fans) and neither of those 2 teams had one.

Imagine thinking they're the same :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#125 » by Lalouie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am

good thing the bucks come out of the east

if they cannot get to the finals that's a big problem since they clearly overwhelm that division.

if they make the finals,,,welll sh** happens. happened twice with lebron vs a superior sas and gsw
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Post#126 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:The Raptors are becoming overrated.

If the Celtics had a good post defender, they'd be my best bet to knock out the Bucks, but they don't.

How exactly is it a myth?
And how exactly are we becoming overrated when we still barely get any media attention after everything we've accomplished this year? Especially when you consider that a lot of people had us missing the playoffs before the season started.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
TheGOATRises007
RealGM

Post#127 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:26 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:

And how exactly are we becoming overrated when we still barely get any media attention after everything we've accomplished this year? Especially when you consider that a lot of people had us missing the playoffs before the season started.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/siakapa01.html

Where is the improvement? He takes more shots, so his scoring goes up but his efficiency goes down.

Everything else stays the same in terms of impact. His BPM and VORP are slightly worse.

I don't see this improvement people keep talking about. He is pretty much the same player he was last season.

If anything, this version is worse, because he can't be your 1st option.
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#128 » by RaptorsNorth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 am

Weren’t people asking the same questions about us just A few years ago ? Weren’t we fools gold when Lebron was in the East ? smh I mean just like we shocked everyone and won a championship the bucks can do the same. The East is wide open at this point. Our time came after years of basically the same issues the bucks are dealing with. If you position yourself at the door every time then the opportunity to finally knock it down is always there. Image
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 20,998

Post#129 » by Chandan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Where is the improvement? He takes more shots, so his scoring goes up but his efficiency goes down.

Everything else stays the same in terms of impact. His BPM and VORP are slightly worse.

I don't see this improvement people keep talking about. He is pretty much the same player he was last season.

The man went from being a 2nd option with kawhi on his team to being the number 1 option in an offseason. of course his efficiency would take a dip. Sure he puts up more shots, it doesn't mean that most of his shots aren't more difficult because teams are game planning against him. You are suggesting given the opportunity everyone can become a 25 ppg in the nba at their previous efficiency?

I dont even think he could ever be an 1a player. but to say you dont see the improvements because his % took a dip?
that is actually one of the more idiotic oversight I've seen in a while.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,846

Post#130 » by Dutchball97 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:07 am

I feel like the only reason people are doubting the Bucks is because they've been just that good. The Lakers lack depth, the Clippers lack chemistry. It is going to take another herculean effort from LeBron or Kawhi to stop the Bucks from getting that ring.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,889

Post#131 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am

It wouldn't surprise me if the Bucks faltered to the 76ers prior to meeting the Raptors. But at any rate, I like our chances.

Brook Lopez's shot was very inconsistent this regular season. Mediocre in comparison to how both Gasol and Ibaka have been bombing 3's at .402 and .398. If both Lopez and Bledsoe go cold from 3pt, they'll be having some sleepless nights in Disney World.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#132 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Siakam basically doubled his workload as a shooter, with marginal losses in terms of efficiency.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#133 » by Optms » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:45 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Optms wrote:They are the Raptors of the East pre-Kawhi and the Atlanta Hawks before that. Not sure how anyone can see different.

Maybe because they have the league's best player(or 2nd to appease Laker/Lebron fans) and neither of those 2 teams had one.

Imagine thinking they're the same :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe in the regular season. He's not even better than Kawhi in the post season.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#134 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm

fbalmeida wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if the Bucks faltered to the 76ers prior to meeting the Raptors. But at any rate, I like our chances.

Brook Lopez's shot was very inconsistent this regular season. Mediocre in comparison to how both Gasol and Ibaka have been bombing 3's at .402 and .398. If both Lopez and Bledsoe go cold from 3pt, they'll be having some sleepless nights in Disney World.

Bucks are 0-2 vs. the Heat this year, so If I'm the Bucks, I'd be most concerned about them.

Bam is the perfectly engineered Giannis Stopper, Butler is an elite closer and Spoelstra is pretty good at adjustments in the playoffs, unlike Bud.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#135 » by drosereturn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:54 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Hard to be considered fool's gold when very few people even believe you are gold. Outside of Buck fans and a select few media people, nobody is picking the Bucks.

Hell, I have been hearing more about Boston and Philly than Milwaukee and Toronto which is just crazy.

You're kidding right? Just about everyone has the Bucks coming out of the East. TV segments like ''Who's the biggest threat to the Bucks?" doesn't mean they're picking someone but the Bucks to win the East.
The Bucks are heavy favorites to come out of the East and rightly so. They are no fools gold to me. A team lead by arguably the best player in the league and one of the best coaches in the league deserves to be talked about in high regard.

How good is the coach really when all he has done is win meaningless rs games and suck at playoffs for years?
I dont even know how much better Giannis is than Siakam and with the latter having a champion experience, I will place on my bets on Siakam to deliver when it matters compared to a stat machine in Giannis.

The Bucks are just managing terribly when they had Giannis for years and its always Giannis and a bunch of role players that can only shoot the 3. I bet if Masai comes to that franchise, he can win a chip there in a yr. They are 1 yr from losing Giannis and restart a 10 yr rebuild being left with washed up Middleton.

Ironically if im the Bucks GM, I make a call to Masai and beg him to acquire Giannis for Siakam since they are best friends and take the safe route instead of risking a Lebron decision.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#136 » by drosereturn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if the Bucks faltered to the 76ers prior to meeting the Raptors. But at any rate, I like our chances.

Bucks are 0-2 vs. the Heat this year, so If I'm the Bucks, I'd be most concerned about them.

Bam is the perfectly engineered Giannis Stopper, Butler is an elite closer and Spoelstra is pretty good at adjustments in the playoffs, unlike Bud.

Miami will destroy the Bucks. Bam can neutralize Giannis and Butler is multiple times better than overpaid Middleton.
I am not even counting the countless rookies that look stars for Miami.
Putting all your eggs on one basket has always been a terrible idea. Add the corona situation, one star goes down, the entire franchise is in danger.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#137 » by crkone » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

The Bucks are the 2nd best midrange shooting team in the league, 3rd best in the restricted area, and tied for 10th in the paint non restricted area. It's laughable and terribly, terribly ill informed that they would be regarded as only being able to shoot the 3. That's not to mention having the best defense in the league by far by only having to play one style of defense in the regular season that everyone gameplans for while other teams seemingly have to change their defense on a per possession basis. Oh and the Bucks starters are 30th, 14th, 28th, and 25th in minutes played in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, respectively. Not bad for playing in an ever evolving system for only the second year.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,126

Post#138 » by The Duke » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:09 pm

The_Hater wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Also a lot of people (most?) don’t realize how good Middleton has been this season. By far his best season to date, he is going to make all-NBA and he had a 50 point game on a night where Giannis didn’t play. He’s been one of the 10 best players in the league this season IMO. So much for the - Giannis is the entire offense - argument.

If/when the Raps and Bucks meet I think whoever steps up more between Middleton and Norm Powell could be the deciding factor.

This season:

Middleton: 30 mins, 50/42/90 shooting (!) on 15.5 attempts for 21 pts/game
Powell: 29 mins, 50/40/84 shooting (!) on 11 attempts for 16 pts/game

mind you in Jan/Feb/March Norm put up 51/41/85 on 14 FGA for 20 ppg so almost identical to Middleton's great season

those two guys will be keys to any series between these teams. in the 6 games last year Middleton only had 1 with over 14 points. (11/12/9/30/6/14) If that happens again Raps will likely take it again. if middleton goes off it will likely be the bucks.

If the Raps and Bucks meet, Giannis, who is head and shoulders above anyone else on either team, will be the deciding factor. Playoff series are almost always decided by the best players and superstars. Last season the Raps had that superstar and that’s why they could compete with the league’s best.

Plus I would hope you recognize that cherry picking by far the best stretch of Powell’s otherwise up and down career to somehow put him on par with Middleton is pretty biased. On top of that, Middleton is the much better ball handler, passer and defender of the two but that information was obviously omitted. I just don’t see how comparing the Bucks 2nd best player and allstar to the Raps 6th or 7th best players makes any sense.

While, its 100% true that Giannis is the best player on the court (MIL/TOR), I think in todays NBA once you get to the conference finals, the series are determined by the best wing/guard player. (Lebron/Kawhi/Curry/KD/Wade/etc). Someone who gets the ball unobstructed in crunch time above the 3 point line, and has the ability to create/penetrate/shot off dribble.

So I think there is true to who performs better between Middleton and Powell, will decide that series (if there is a +10% difference)
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 pm

I'm not too hot on Miami's post-season chances. There are levels when it comes to the playoffs, and I don't see all three of the Heat's neophyte shooters (Nunn, Robinson, and Herro) keeping up. Plus, since they traded away James Johnson, they are 7-9.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant

Post#140 » by fbalmeida » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm

Playing out my thoughts on why the top 6 teams in the East may fail (or succeed) to reach the finals I get:

Bucks: Lopez and Bledsoe shooting woes, and a coach who has been demonstrably Casey-like inflexible and out-coachable in the past. Nevertheless, their squad might still be good enough despite these issues.
Raptors: Potential lack of offence, with Siakam faltering as a first scoring option come playoff time. Nevertheless, Raptors have 3rd best offence in the East despite injury plagued season, and deepest shooting roster in the league, with top 9 shooters on volume, shooting 3pt at 35.4% or greater. Clockwork.
Celtics: Lack of offensive production off the bench, and Kemba's knee. Nevertheless, starting squad may be good enough if they remain healthy.
Heat: Inexperience and sub-par play after the trade deadline. Nevertheless, a clever coach with a versatile roster.
Pacers: Outdated offensive game and health issues capping potential. Nevertheless, a resourceful team that can play spoiler if Oladipo returns to previous form.
76ers: Obvious spacing problems from their reliance on a non-shooting primary ball-carrier virtually guarantees an "always good, but never good enough" post-season. Nevertheless, Ben Simmons can, theoretically, learn to shoot at any moment.

Return to The General Board