200th FGA/Auction Draft Game: The Ultimate All-Time NBA Draft Championship: Bulls (Hawk Eye) vs. Warriors (CSF21)*-CHAMP

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach
And1: 1,661

200th FGA/Auction Draft Game: The Ultimate All-Time NBA Draft Championship: Bulls (Hawk Eye) vs. Warriors (CSF21)*-CHAMP 

Post#1 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:10 pm

And then there were two...

Please include this in your write-up:
-Rotations/Depth Charts (all your players must play a minimum of 8 minutes)
-Season/FGA for each player/total FGA amount

-Add a write-up why you think you can beat your opponent and win the championship and be the 200th game winner (short/long/optional..up to you). You have 24 hours from this post to include a write-up, otherwise we will vote based on what is in their roster post.

-First to five votes win. Please include a reasoning why you pick one team over the other. Votes with no explanation will not be counted. Reasoning that has no thought put into it may not count. Once a vote has been made, it can't be changed/deleted.

Hawk Eye wrote:.
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: 200th FGA/Auction Draft Game: The Ultimate All-Time NBA Draft Championship: Bulls (Hawk Eye) vs. Warriors (CSF21) 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:46 pm

Players:
Round 1 - Michael Jordan (1990-91’) = 22.4 FGA
Round 2 - Chauncey Billups (2005-06’) = 12.5 FGA
Round 3 - Bobby Jones (1975-76’) = 10.6 x 0.85 = 9.0 FGA
Round 4 - Yao Ming (2008-09’) = 13.4 FGA
Round 5 - Brent Barry (2000-01’) = 6.0 FGA
Round 6 - Marques Johnson (1980-81’) = 15.2 FGA
Round 7 - Tree Rollins (1982-83’) = 6.4 FGA
Round 8 - Tyus Jones (2016-17’) = 3.0 FGA

Total FGA’s: 87.9/88

Rotation:
PG: Billups(38)/Jones(10)
SG: Jordan(40)/Barry(8)
SF: Johnson(28)/Barry(20)
PF: Jones(36)/Johnson(10)/Rollins(2)
C: Ming(32)/Rollins(16)

Write Up:

Great job on your team CSF21! Not surprised at all that you’ve made it this far. You hit a homerun with your West/Drexler duo and found great value picks late in the draft (Schrempf, Nance, Reed, etc.). Best of luck!

I guess I’ll go ahead and start with the obvious Jordan/Drexler matchup.

The fact that this is 91’ Drexler instead of 92’ Drexler bodes well for my team. Drexler was still great in 91’ but also still comfortably below his 92’ season.

I think it also helps that we have a real life basis to go off of here between these two players with their 1992 NBA Finals matchup. May not be exactly spot on in the seasons being used here but still close enough in terms of prime/peak levels to gauge an accurate assessment on how things might translate here. MJ outplayed Drexler in every game that Finals series except for game 3 (in game 3, MJ had 26/7/4/3, with 5 turnovers on 54.7% TS, while Drexler had 32/9/3, with 5 turnovers, 71.8% TS). Jordan massively outplayed him in games 1 & 5.

I think Yao would do fairly well in this matchup against Reed. For as great of a player as Reed was, I never thought of him to have supreme athleticism. I don’t think he has the athleticism to take advantage of Yao’s lack of mobility for instance. Both are equally great at floor spacing/shooting for centers. Yao’s size presents a problem for Reed here as well.

West is going to be great this series and I think he’s easily one of the most portable players from the 60’s. His shooting would definitely translate to today’s game in my opinion. That said, I think Chauncey is about as good of a counter as I could have hoped for here given my late draft positioning every round after round one.

Also think Tree Rollins would have a very underrated series here as well in his limited minutes. Drexler loved to cut/slash and get to the rim and Tree in his 83’ season where he lead the league in bpg (4.3bpg) will be big off the bench after West/Drexler are already dealing with Yao’s size.

Bowen will probably get most of the minutes guarding MJ but up to this point MJ has been guarded by Kawhi, Havlicek, and Cooper all of which I would have ahead of Bowen defensively.

I’d love to dive further into matchups but I’m going to have to cut it here as I’m short on time and have to get back to work.

Vote Hawk!
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Re: 200th FGA/Auction Draft Game: The Ultimate All-Time NBA Draft Championship: Bulls (Hawk Eye) vs. Warriors (CSF21) 

Post#3 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Please hold off on the voting. I had a lengthy write up done and it got deleted since my computer froze. I will have to re-do it later today. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Post#4 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 pm

Starting Five:

PG-Jerry West-Los Angeles Lakers-1967-68: 26.3 PTS/5.8 REB/6.1 AST/59.0% TS

-NBA All-Star, All-NBA Second Team

SG-Clyde Drexler-Portland Trailblazers-1990-91: 21.5 PTS/6.7 REB/6.0 AST/1.8 STL

SF-Bruce Bowen-San Antonio Spurs-2002-03: 7.1 PTS/2.9 REB/1.4 AST/0.8 STL/44.1% 3PT

-NBA Champion, NBA All-Defensive Second Team

PF-Larry Nance-Cleveland Cavaliers-1991-92: 17.0 PTS/8.3 REB/2.9 AST/1.0 STL/3.0 BLK/8.2 OWS/4.0 DWS

-NBA All-Defensive Second Team

C-Willis Reed-New York Knicks-1968-69: 21.1 PTS/14.5 REB/2.3 AST/14.7 WS

Bench:

G-Antonio Daniels-Washington Wizards-2006-07: 7.1 PTS/3.6 AST/1.9 REB/4.1 OWS (13.3 PTS/4.5 REB/11.8 AST/1.3 STL in the playoffs)

F-Detlef Schrempf-Seattle SuperSonics-1994-95: 19.2 PTS/6.2 REB/3.8 AST/1.1 STL/51.4% 3PT/64.1% TS/9.8 OWS/4.3 OBPM

-NBA All-Star, All-NBA Third Team

C-DeAndre Jordan-Los Angeles Clippers-2015-16: 12.7 PTS/13.8 REB/1.2 AST/2.3 BLK/70.3% FG/6.0 OWS/5.5 DWS

-All-NBA First Team, NBA All-Defensive First Team

Rotation/Depth Chart:

PG: Jerry West (40)/Antonio Daniels (8)
SG: Clyde Drexler (40)/Antonio Daniels (8)
SF: Bruce Bowen (34)/Detlef Schrempf (14)
PF: Larry Nance (36)/Detlef Schrempf (12)
C: Willis Reed (38)/DeAndre Jordan (10)

FGA:

PG-Jerry West-Los Angeles Lakers-1967-68: 15.5 FGA (18.2 x 0.85)
SG-Clyde Drexler-Portland Trailblazers-1990-91: 16.3 FGA
SF-Bruce Bowen-San Antonio Spurs-2002-03: 5.8 FGA
PF-Larry Nance-Cleveland Cavaliers-1991-92: 12.7 FGA
C-Willis Reed-New York Knicks-1968-69: 14.0 FGA (16.5 x 0.85)
G-Antonio Daniels-Washington Wizards-2006-07: 4.9 FGA
F-Detlef Schrempf-Seattle SuperSonics-1994-95: 12.2 FGA
C-DeAndre Jordan-Los Angeles Clippers-2015-16: 6.6 FGA

TOTAL FGA: 88.0/88.0 FGA

Write-Up:

Team Concept:

Offensively, my team has a multi-faceted attack that can score in a plethora of ways which plays to the players strength from West's shooting, Drexler's driving to the rim, Bowen's corner 3 point shooting, Nance's mid range game/driving to the rim, Reed's mid-range game or post scoring, Detlef's 3 point shooting, Daniels slashing to the rim, and DeAndre Jordan's rim running/getting lobs. My team is potent offensively that has five players that score nearly 20 ppg or more in West, Drexler, Reed, Detlef, and Nance. My team will do very well in transition/up tempo pace and there is going to be a lot of ball movement. My team has great spacing from West, Bowen, and Detlef's 3 point shooting range while Nance/Reed have an excellent mid-range game. This team is going to be tough to stop offensively as my team can hurt you in so many ways.

Defensively, I don't have anyone as a liability on my team in my opinion. West will cover elite offensive guards, Bowen will guard elite offensive wings, and Nance/Reed/Jordan are quality defenders to throw at opposing elite offensive bigs.

Bench, I have peak Schrempf, All-NBA type player who has the ability to start needed or provide the spark off the bench offensively. DeAndre Jordan, another All-NBA type player, provides defensive intensity off the bench with his rebounding and rim protection. Daniels provides versatility as a guard with his ability to play either guard spots and a solid enough playmaker/slasher to make an impact in his limited minutes.

Fit, I think my team is very well-rounded in a sense that I built a team with unselfish players who should work well together and thrive as a team both offensively and defensively. My team has ton of playmakers from top to bottom that will maximize opportunity for the best shot than having the ball stuck in one players hand for one whole possession.

Overall, I really think I built a solid team on both ends of the court with no glaring weakness. Offensively, I have five players that are capable to make an impact during various times of the game from West, Drexler, Nance, Reed, and Detlef. Defensively, I have elite defenders from West, Bowen, and my bigs to guard offensive minded superstars. I have a very strong bench that has possible two starters in Detlef/DeAndre. My team also fits like a glove who should play well off each other. As being the Warriors, it's only fitting that their slogan is "Strength in Numbers" and I believe my team does a great job exemplifying that as a whole.

Match-Up Specific:

Good luck Hawk Eye, you did a great job building your team as well, and it's always tough going up against MJ.

Welp, here's take two after my first write-up got deleted...

Offensively, I'm going to lean on my stars here with West/Reed. While Billups and Yao are okay defenders, I think West/Reed get the best of them. My team is going to try to push the pace here as I don't think Yao is well equipped to handle that kind of tempo with his mobility. Also, I'm going to play the two man game here with ton of pick and pops and pick and rolls with West/Reed. Reed has a solid mid-range shot as I'm going to get Yao out of his comfort zone and move him away from the rim and guard in space, which isn't his forte. This also leaves an open rim for cutting/slashing for Drexler. Detlef adds a boost off the bench offensively.

Defensively, match-up as follows: West on Billups, Bowen on Jordan, Drexler on Johnson, Nance on Jones, and Reed on Yao. I think I match up pretty well here. Jordan is the GOAT and obviously going to take a team effort, but I like how Bowen can be physical with him and be a pest. Also, Jordan has his work cut out for him if he also has to defend Drexler defensively as that is no easy task on the other end. Nance is a great help defender here and with Jones not being a huge threat offensively, and likely a fifth option here offensively, I can use Nance as a roamer/safety net for players like Jordan/Johnson slashing to the rim which they like to do best or even with Yao inside. Nance averaged 3.0 BPG in the season chosen. Even Reed can help out as a help defender on Jordan/Johnson slashing to the rim as Yao is more of a post scorer than shooting from range. Jordan provide rim protection.

Bench-I think this is a significant difference. While Barry/Rollins are solid players, peak all-NBA Detlef/DeAndre are just more talented. Detlef provides superior offense compared to Barry and DeAndre provides more offensively here with his screens, rebounding, and lobs compared to Rollins. I just think my bench is better and can make more of an impact in the series.

Fit-I think this is a big key difference as well. I'm not a huge fan of Hawk Eye's fit to be honest. Jordan will obviously make it work, but with the exception of Billups, he has Jordan, Johnson, Jones, and Yao who all like to score inside, which can get cramped. In contrast, my fit is pretty strong with West/Bowen being shooters, Drexler slashing to the rim, mid-range game from Nance/Reed, and inside presence for Reed. There are just so many ways my team can score.

To refute some of Hawk Eye's points...

-I don't see a huge difference in Drexler 1991 or 1992, more or less the same player and advanced stats aren't significantly different although 1992 is his peak season I do admit. Yeah you can bring up Drexler and Jordan head to head in the Finals, but you have to realize that Drexler doesn't have to be the number one option here offensively and doesn't have to carry the burden here which he had to in that series. With West/Reed alongside him, I see them taking a bigger role offensively.

-I tend to disagree with the assessment that Reed doesn't have the athleticism to take advantage of Yao's mobility. Reed does not have the athleticism such as Wilt obviously, but he was pretty athletic and strong too and could do so much offensively and defensively. Reed has faced some giants such as Chamberlain, Russell, and KAJ and did pretty well against them for what it's worth.

-I actually have Bowen ahead of the other defenders besides Kawhi, but again, nobody is going to stop Jordan. Bowen has only one job in this series, and that's to make every opportunity for Jordan to score tough, and I think he can make it happen more often than not.

-Overall, he has the best player obviously in MJ, but I think I can make a case that I have the next best three players in West, Drexler, and Reed. I just think my offense has a little bit more firepower with Detlef off the bench. I prefer my bench of peak Detlef/Jordan over Barry/Rollins. I think my fit is superior as well. I just believe my team will have an easier time scoring than his team will..the offensive flow is better for my team. This is my third game in a row where I made it to the championship..hopefully third time is a charm! I put in a lot of time and effort building this team, and I hope you vote ChicagoSportsFan21-Golden State Warriors as your 200th game winner/champion!
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#5 » by wackbone » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

I think Marques will get his against Drexler, but I am not 100% sold on how Marques works with a Billups/MJ backcourt. I don't know if that's a great fit to best take advantage of his abilities. I think MJ is going to have an uphill battle here, as the Warriors clearly has the superior firepower. I don't think MJ has the necessary supporting cast here to keep up with the Warriors offense. That bench seals it, once again.

Vote: Warriors - CSF

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#6 » by parsnips33 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Man this would be a fun matchup. I really like the way the Warriors offense fits together and West should be able to both score and get his teammates going running downhill at Yao. I see the Warriors defense as having no real weak points to attack, and while Mike doesn't need to attack a weakness per se (he can be effective against anyone) I do think the offensive contributions of the rest of the team can be limited. Even with Hawk nabbing some strong bench pieces, I think CSF's depth is really hard to beat, with so many guys to fill different roles.

Vote: CSF
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,784

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am

Quite simply, CSF's depth makes the difference here. Both starting lineups are crazy talanted with solid fit and balance, but then CSF is bringing out Schrempf and DAJ off the bench who are both levels above anything Hawk Eye has to offer. Hawk Eye's best chance would be for MJ to go completely berserk, but with Bowen guarding him and Reed/Nance/DAJ protecting the rim, that's asking a lot even for the arguable GOAT.

Vote: ChicagoSportsFan21
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,053

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:41 am

I'm just not seeing enough in CSF's lineup to offset the Mike factor. Mike/Chauncey over West/Drexler, and Marques is clearly the best forward in this. Reed is the kind of match-up you want for Yao.

Vote - Hawkeye
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm

I see Billups, MJ and Marques as a pretty great perimeter trio, and Barry's shooting helps their biggest weakness. Jones and Yao are good too. CSF has a better bench but I prefer Hawk Eye's talent and having MJ at the end of the day. Vote Hawk Eye.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#10 » by Odinn21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:33 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I'm just not seeing enough in CSF's lineup to offset the Mike factor. Mike/Chauncey over West/Drexler, and Marques is clearly the best forward in this. Reed is the kind of match-up you want for Yao.

Vote - Hawkeye

I don't agree with that. Reed was very mobile, had range in his game, he has all the qualities that help him win that matchup without much trouble. Also considering Reed being able to go toe to toe with goat level centers, thanks to those qualities, it's Yao who should worry.

I like how ChicagoSportsFan21 matches up against his slighty more. I'd probably put West on Jordan, Bowen on Marques and Drexler on Billups. But that one works for me, too.
Jordan driving into Nance Sr. who was very quick for his height was an issue for MJ.

I like ChicagoSportsFan21 rebounding skills better. Also like Hawk Eye's ball movement better, in this matchup Marques is a true difference maker in this regard. I'd say spacing roughly equal.

Looking at minute allocations, I'd say 2001 Brent Barry's playing too much in this series.

My points look all over the place I guess, no proper continuity but at least my reasons are in there.

Vote: ChicagoSportsFan21
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#11 » by euroleague » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:30 am

Michael Jordan, historically, absolutely destroyed Drexler on both ends. There’s also no way that Bowen, who regularly got destroyed by Kobe, can handle peak MJ.

Bruce Bowen is by far the worst starter, and will allow Hawk Eye’s team much more freedom

Schrempf off the bench is huge, but I don’t think he’s playing enough minutes to have the impact he could

Vote hawk eye
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,418
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#12 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:07 am

I'll take CSF. His defensive strategy is what won it over for me. I think Nance being able to roam the floor and Bobby Jones not being able to take advantage of it (he was efficient but his game isn't scaling with volume as he was a finisher) will be major.

Both teams have great players so really it was close but it looks like I just gotta go with the more talented squad with the better defensive game plan.
wackbone
RealGM
And1: 3,391

Post#13 » by wackbone » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:09 am

The Golden State Warriors have won!

BAF Celtics
PG: Russell Westbrook|x
SG: Desmond Bane|Mathurin
SF: Mikal Bridges|Mathurin
PF: John Collins|x
C: Chet Holmgren|x

Other: Roddy, Saric
Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Post#14 » by Hawk Eye » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:15 am

Congrats CSF21! I knew this one would end up being close. You built a great team and I’ve got absolutely no shame in losing this one. Thanks for running number #200 for us!
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#15 » by MadNESS » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:20 am

It’s better knowing I got eliminated by the champs! Good game CSF1 and thanks for running it!
LAKESHOW
ChicagoSportsFan21
Head Coach

Post#16 » by ChicagoSportsFan21 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:22 am

The Golden State Warriors (ChicagoSportsFan21) have won the championship-200th FGA/Auction Draft Game: The Ultimate-All Time NBA Draft!

Good game, Hawk Eye! I was definitely sweating it out with you almost coming back. Considering you had the last pick in many rounds, you built one hell of a team. Your team was definitely a Finals worthy opponent!

I'm glad to finally get back on the win column after losing the last two in the championship game that I played. It's nice to have win number three on my belt. I don't play many of these so it's always a good feeling when winning one of these. My most impressive win for sure especially considering this was a 30 team draft/having the 19th pick and so many great teams from top to bottom, and not to mention having an uphill battle just to get a playoff spot-winning a record 6 match-ups!

Thanks to everyone playing! Hope you all had fun as much as I did. I really appreciate everyone participating and sticking from the beginning to the end especially the ones who voted. Here are the rankings for the playoffs if anyone is interested (lower the number the better, tie-breaker in southwest division was broken by most first place votes, blank-no rankings sent in, tab for each conference)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-IpB-3srRGhqRIMX2sF7BbrB6PD2strUUuRUchS24jY/edit?usp=sharing

Never say never, but this may be the end for me with life hopefully returning back to normal again after covid and my life tends to get busy anyway. Not to mention I put way too much time into this than I really should. I may get the itch to play in the future, but it won't be for a long time if ever. It's been fun though and hope you all continue to play. I'm happy to leave on a high note-CSF21 out!

Return to Trades and Transactions Games