Image ImageImage Image

Three Days in July - Summer of 2010[Article]

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Three Days in July - Summer of 2010[Article] 

Post#1 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:48 pm

So I didn't get a chance to watch The Decision last night, but reading this article, it is so Bulls. Essentially, it was between the Bulls and the Heat. Despite what people have reported around here, it's not true - Bulls had not cleared the cap space had all 3 committed. The Clippers rejected Deng and the Bulls tried to work on getting Toronto to accept a deal for him in a S&T.

Heat came in with the idea of all 3. Sounds like the Bulls had a legit shot, but the Bulls will be Bulls. They were split on doing what was necessary to get all three, they wanted commits from all three, and Rose being absent in recruiting also hurt. Surprisingly, the Bulls were fearful of Wade playing possum, but it seems like Wade went ahead and basically gave the Heat plan away trying to get Chicago to do the same. I had heard that in Wade's first meeting, the feeling of putting on the jersey greatly affected him. This article and his statements since then have all confirmed that much.

Great read.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29375065/the-decision-high-stakes-maneuvers-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-chris-bosh

The Bulls went last. It was the Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend, and their group had forgotten to book a car from the hotel. They arrived at the IMG Building in taxis but didn't know to enter through the garage. They were stuck waiting on the street with the door locked.

:banghead:
tgmxd
Junior
And1: 200

Re: Three Days in July - Summer of 2010[Article] 

Post#2 » by tgmxd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:41 am

Still hurts.

Bulls should have been thinking 3 stars the whole way
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#3 » by Bulls69 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 am

tgmxd wrote:Still hurts.

Bulls should have been thinking 3 stars the whole way

Bron,Wade, and Bosh were full of it they were going to the Heat all long
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#4 » by Dez » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:05 am

Why do Bulls fans still do this to themselves? It was 10 years ago.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,306

Post#5 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:24 am

I don't buy any of the BS that they would have moved to Chicago and neither should you.

But to buy the BS that the Bulls FO wouldn't do what it takes to land all 3 is nonsense.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#6 » by nitetrain8603 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:I don't buy any of the BS that they would have moved to Chicago and neither should you.

But to buy the BS that the Bulls FO wouldn't do what it takes to land all 3 is nonsense.

They're the same front office that turned down Jamal Crawford and Caron Butler in 2011 and got Rip Hamilton instead who staged a mutiny in Detroit. They're also the ones who traded Kyle Korver for a trade exception they never intended on using.

Bulls didn't have the stones back then.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,306

Post#7 » by TheGOATRises007 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:I don't buy any of the BS that they would have moved to Chicago and neither should you.

They're the same front office that turned down Jamal Crawford and Caron Butler in 2011 and got Rip Hamilton instead who staged a mutiny in Detroit. They're also the ones who traded Kyle Korver for a trade exception they never intended on using.

Bulls didn't have the stones back then.

Crawford is a chucker and terrible player.

Caron Butler wouldn't have fit.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#8 » by ChettheJet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Chicago was just big market leverage that their agent used to get them where they wanted to be and never anything more. Same as with Tracy McGrady, Grant Hill and Tim Duncan, never was going to happen just a big market play by the agents

But here's what to do right now. Look at who was a big star then, another FA prize that Chicago and other teams wanted. And know those guys are 10 years older and not targets today for the Bulls.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Post#9 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:34 pm

They did not sign with the Bulls and regardless of what they say now it does not change that fact. Why reopen old wounds? Want to talk about missing out on Amare, Kobe, Carmelo, Duncan, TMac, Grant Hill, etc, while we are at it? Talking about "what might have been" is a useless endeavor.

The Bulls WILL NOT attract a prime FA (keep dreaming on AD, he won't leave Lebron) until they can successfully change their perception around the league. Can AK/ME do that....time will tell.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#10 » by dougthonus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:So I didn't get a chance to watch The Decision last night, but reading this article, it is so Bulls. Essentially, it was between the Bulls and the Heat. Despite what people have reported around here, it's not true - Bulls had not cleared the cap space had all 3 committed. The Clippers rejected Deng and the Bulls tried to work on getting Toronto to accept a deal for him in a S&T.

Heat came in with the idea of all 3. Sounds like the Bulls had a legit shot, but the Bulls will be Bulls. They were split on doing what was necessary to get all three, they wanted commits from all three, and Rose being absent in recruiting also hurt. Surprisingly, the Bulls were fearful of Wade playing possum, but it seems like Wade went ahead and basically gave the Heat plan away trying to get Chicago to do the same. I had heard that in Wade's first meeting, the feeling of putting on the jersey greatly affected him. This article and his statements since then have all confirmed that much.

Great read.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29375065/the-decision-high-stakes-maneuvers-lebron-james-dwyane-wade-chris-bosh

The Bulls went last. It was the Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend, and their group had forgotten to book a car from the hotel. They arrived at the IMG Building in taxis but didn't know to enter through the garage. They were stuck waiting on the street with the door locked.

Also enjoyed the read. Odd take you have to blame Bulls management, they said they were split but ultimately worked hard to get all three guys here and create the cap room necessary to do so.

It seems like bigger problems were that Rose wouldn't involve himself with recruiting and James didn't want to play with Joakim Noah after their previous run ins along with Wade simply wanting to stay in Miami.

Either way, it was an intriguing read all the way around.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
northbrookrich
Veteran
And1: 54

Post#11 » by northbrookrich » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:11 pm

I hate living in the past, but imagine how good that team would have been. Rose, Wade, James, Bosh and Noah. They would have been Warriors with Durant good. Even Rose, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Noah would have been crazy good. Such a shame.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:37 pm

northbrookrich wrote:I hate living in the past, but imagine how good that team would have been. Rose, Wade, James, Bosh and Noah. They would have been Warriors with Durant good. Even Rose, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Noah would have been crazy good. Such a shame.

While I doubt any of those guys regret their decision, that team probably would have have won four straight championships and given all of those guys bigger legacies than they ended up with in Miami.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 462

Post#13 » by Mr. Tibbs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:So I didn't get a chance to watch The Decision last night, but reading this article, it is so Bulls. Essentially, it was between the Bulls and the Heat. Despite what people have reported around here, it's not true - Bulls had not cleared the cap space had all 3 committed. The Clippers rejected Deng and the Bulls tried to work on getting Toronto to accept a deal for him in a S&T.

Great read.

Wait was there a tv special on The Decision?
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#14 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:51 am

dougthonus wrote:
northbrookrich wrote:I hate living in the past, but imagine how good that team would have been. Rose, Wade, James, Bosh and Noah. They would have been Warriors with Durant good. Even Rose, Wade, Deng, Bosh and Noah would have been crazy good. Such a shame.

While I doubt any of those guys regret their decision, that team probably would have have won four straight championships and given all of those guys bigger legacies than they ended up with in Miami.

That's why I fully believe they were absolutely willing to come here. Those guys aren't morons, they're not going to say "yeah let's go to the much smaller market to play with Mario Chalmers and Joel Anthony!"

The whole reason they got together was to try and create a dynasty and the main reason it failed to become one was the complete lack of supporting talent outside of those three. Of course they would've picked the better roster to team up with. Throw in the way bigger endorsement potential of playing for Chicago and that's a no-brainer.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#15 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:33 pm

I really only wanted Bosh and Wade but im a weirdo.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#16 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:15 pm

Rose
Wade
LeBron
Bosh
Noah

Poor shooting team, but rivals the KD Warriors in terms of talent. Sheesh papa.

I don't doubt the Bulls had a legitimate change -- at the time we were a pretty attractive team with good, young talent in a big market that had less blemishes than we do today. The front office is not as aggressive as someone like Pat Riley. They probably would've been happy with 1 or 2 while Pat was thinking all 3. He obviously had an inside track with Wade, but its a mindset too.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#17 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:59 pm

Mr. Tibbs wrote:

Great read.

Wait was there a tv special on The Decision?

This past Sunday on ESPN. It was pretty decent to be honest.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#18 » by TheStig » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:33 am

dougthonus wrote:

Great read.

Also enjoyed the read. Odd take you have to blame Bulls management, they said they were split but ultimately worked hard to get all three guys here and create the cap room necessary to do so.

It seems like bigger problems were that Rose wouldn't involve himself with recruiting and James didn't want to play with Joakim Noah after their previous run ins along with Wade simply wanting to stay in Miami.

Either way, it was an intriguing read all the way around.

Ok common that's ridiculous. You could have flipped Rose and Noah for someone they would have played with. And you do it to get those 3 and guarantee titles. I don't think the Bulls wanted their franchise hijacked and the following LT bill. I also think Pat Riley has a lot more pull than GarPax and Arison is much more desirable to deal with than JR. The Bulls have never gotten the stink off. They mentioned Mourning talked a lot about what the heat did for him. Meanwhile you got the greatest player ever feeling they broke up the team early and ran off the greatest coach.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:01 am

Its revisionist history but should have gotten rid of at least one of Deng, Noah, and even Rose if they officially signed not verbally.

Best scenario: 5 legit MVP candidates the league has never seen such a talent. Wouldnt be shocked if they had 80 wins.
Rose
Wade
LeBron
Bosh
Noah

But I would have been fine with Wade, Lebron, Bosh, with elite role player/ ring chasers. It guarantees 5 + championships if you trade Noah, Rose for 5 unprotected firsts and cap space and be able to keep Deng but you do lose out on raw talent.
Kind of recreating the KD Warriors dynasty with number 1~3 picks every yr so you never have to worry getting the core older.

JR and the FO didnt have the balls to pull this kind of move where it would rival the Jordan dynasty yrs.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#20 » by logical_art » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:07 am

Eh, I'd rather lose than win with buddy ball.

Return to Chicago Bulls