Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#901 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
Sure, more people voted for Clinton, but many of them abstained from the primary, where they could have voted for Bernie who stands for issues like universal healthcare or free public education, which are issues most Democratic voters agree with. Many of them also abstain from local elections, gubernatorial elections etc., which play a big role in why we have such a dysfunctional system. Maybe if more people participated in elections, referenda etc., we wouldn't have a system where the person with fewer votes wins, or a system with only 2 options. The first-past-the-post system we have in the U.S. isn't that much different than what they have in the UK or Canada, countries that have a functioning multiparty system. American voters treat politics like sports unfortunately. Anyway, enough about that. I just had to get it out of my system.

Plenty of people voted in the primary, just more of them voted for Clinton. If anything, Sanders' voters were more fervent, there just weren't enough of them. And the only reason a candidate with fewer votes can win in America, is the insane Electoral College, a holdover from 200 years ago. No other country is so foolish as to have such a system.

There is a very good reason for having that system, but I have neither the time or energy to explain why.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/11/electoral-college-racist-origins/601918/

There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of the Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to fewest objections.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#902 » by hippesthippo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:34 am

BigSleep333 wrote:
asdfgh wrote:
BigSleep333 wrote:
has to correlate with the government leadership. you got the dumbest of all. i feel sorry for yall.

Well people vote for their leaders (or choose not to vote and let others decide for them).

true, but more people voted for hillary than trump. you also got a weird election system. [b]it also comes down to just 2 parties every time. its basically black or white and no inbetween. thats crazy.

but back to topic. please get it straight in orlando, florida. im desperate for NBA-basketball

America should have adopted a second pass system a loooooooooooooong time ago.

As for Florida.. I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,799

Post#903 » by RyderMike » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:18 pm

So in addition to the NBA, the MLS is also using Disney as a bubble. They actually are already there because their games start in a week. Let's just say things do not look so glamourous. These are their meals that apparently cost $65
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#904 » by LKN » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:25 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:Speaking of basketball, I am beginning to think that no state may want to take a chance on hosting any sporting event, even though the death rate from Covid-19 we now know is much lower than ever thought. Is it possible to have the NBA finish a season overseas? I know it sounds ridiculous, but if no state will take the chance, it's better than nothing.

Actually most experts thought that COVID-19 would converge on a CFR around 0.5% (without hospital overload)... which is exactly what has happened.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#905 » by The Duke » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:37 pm

RyderMike wrote:So in addition to the NBA, the MLS is also using Disney as a bubble. They actually are already there because their games start in a week. Let's just say things do not look so glamourous. These are their meals that apparently cost $65
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

And how much are they getting paid to play a sport again? It's the cost of doing business
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,476

Post#906 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:38 pm

RyderMike wrote:So in addition to the NBA, the MLS is also using Disney as a bubble. They actually are already there because their games start in a week. Let's just say things do not look so glamourous. These are their meals that apparently cost $65

Well at least disney gave them a heavy discount on their meal plan.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,968

Post#907 » by zimpy27 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The happiest place on earth.

That price is without tip. If they are going to price gouge they should at least put some effort into the meal.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#908 » by Torgeir Bryn » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:46 pm

Some good news: Mavericks GM Donnie Nelson confirms that there has been zero positive tests from Mavs players, coaches or staff.
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#909 » by poultryfan » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:28 pm

Looks like those sandwiches they give out for free when you enter a $200 poker tournament.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#910 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:30 pm

poultryfan wrote:

Looks like those sandwiches they give out for free when you enter a $200 poker tournament.

These sandwiches make it look like Billy Mcfarlane and Ja Rule are the ones managing the bubble.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#911 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:34 pm

looks like a sandwich and a banana. nuttin wrong with that
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#912 » by dlts20 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm guessing that the NBA will look better because they have way more money than MLS and I know that guys like lebron aren't going to stand for meals like that. They made it sound like everything would be top notch inside of the bubble. Again, I hope it's just because it's MLS but I feel bad for them too, big money or not
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#913 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:55 pm

I didn't think the plan would make it this far - but it's 7/1 and has and there is too much time and $$ involved in it now for them to scrap it.

Unless someone crucial DIES before they open the bubble, I don't see them stopping it now.

They know once it starts it will be MUST SEE TV.
I bet they see it as a great chance to showcase tournament style of play so the fans start begging for this.

Think about the ASG. All we talked about for weeks was the Elam ending and how cool it was.
They know if they can get this going - we'll watch and we'll have all kinds of stuff to debate and talk about and want more NBA played like this.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#914 » by SF_Warriors » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:03 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:looks like a sandwich and a banana. nuttin wrong with that

If its $65 a pop there is plenty wrong with that.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,582

Post#915 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:06 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
poultryfan wrote:

These sandwiches make it look like Billy Mcfarlane and Ja Rule are the ones managing the bubble.

Damnit you beat me to the Fyre Festival reference. That was the first thing that came to my mind as well haha.
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,387

Post#916 » by zshawn10 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:46 pm

Six FC Dallas players just tested positive in the mls bubble in Orlando

Read on Twitter

The timeline of FC Dallas positive cases:

June 3 – One player tests positive, 2nd player in MLS. (Reported by MLS)
June 18-19 – Two more cases while still in Frisco (we reported on June 24). A 4th suspected case turns out to be some other “old school” illness.
June 27 – FCD travels to and arrives in Orlando.
June 28 – FCD holds its first training session and has two more positive tests.
June 29 – FCD has one more positive test. (We reported the 3 new cases in Orlando on June 29.)
June 30 – FCD has three more positive tests. (We’re reporting today, July 1.)
RyderMike
Assistant Coach

Post#917 » by RyderMike » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:46 pm

So, the Athletic is reporting that those MLS Sandwiches are the room service meals they get while in the quarantine since they just arrived. Apparently, once they get out they will receive more "normal" meals. Still $65 for a cold cut sandwich and banana is insane price gouging.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach

Post#918 » by RyderMike » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:49 pm

zshawn10 wrote:Six FC Dallas players just tested positive in the mls bubble in Orlando

Read on Twitter

This reply lol
Read on Twitter
zshawn10
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,387

Post#919 » by zshawn10 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1278421222498414592%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html1278421222498414592
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#920 » by Catchall » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:44 am

So Mike Conley's wife is due to give birth in August. If he leaves the bubble in the middle of the playoffs, I don't think he can come back in. He wouldn't be motivated to either.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to The General Board