ImageImageImageImageImage

[Bontemps] How the Toronto Raptors are turning Fort Myers into a test for the NBA's Walt Disney World bubble

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,049

Re: [Bontemps] How the Toronto Raptors are turning Fort Myers into a test for the NBA's Walt Disney World bubble 

Post#21 » by HiJiNX » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Clippers destroyed us in the regular season and they have playoff Kawhi. Lebron isn’t as dangerous nowadays and can actually be contained.

I wouldn’t say they destroyed us. Particularly in the first game we had a comfortable lead going into the fourth, on the road, in a back to back missing two key players—we just ran out of gas with around 8 minutes to go. If we had a day’s rest then we win that game I’m sure.

Overall I’m very confident in our team and coaching staff. The Clippers obviously are the team to beat imo and I’m pretty confident we meet them again in the finals. Do I think we will win? On paper and in my head, no. But in my heart...welllll that’s a different story.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Re: [Bontemps] How the Toronto Raptors are turning Fort Myers into a test for the NBA's Walt Disney World bubble 

Post#22 » by howlin mad axer » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:44 am

A little off topic, but with everyone wanting to take down statues of racists and rededicate the names of things named after racists, I have to ask, should we tear down Disney World? Maybe even destroy Disney movies, book-burning style?
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#23 » by Par36 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:17 pm

howlin mad axer wrote:A little off topic, but with everyone wanting to take down statues of racists and rededicate the names of things named after racists, I have to ask, should we tear down Disney World? Maybe even destroy Disney movies, book-burning style?

Private vs public property? :nod:

So I guess Raptors are basically no news zone for another 10 days?
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#24 » by RaptorsNorth » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:28 pm

Psubs wrote:Raptors are first ones in a Florida bubble but start playing on the 3rd day....

There was some locker room issues with the Clippers earlier this season, I wonder how the time off and the situation will affect them.
more time for Fred to lose weight Image
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,147

Post#25 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:29 pm

lmao imagine if everyone came back with the Rip Hamilton mask
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
TheAlchemist
General Manager
And1: 8,228

Post#26 » by TheAlchemist » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:17 pm

We'll probably go to the ECF or the Finals.

That's good enough for me, as defending champs without a true superstar #1.

We'll get that guy the year after next. For now we develop our guys and bring our A game.

1. That means that we must help Terrence Davis realize his potential to be an all-star.
2. We must help O.G become a top 3+D wing defender.
3. We must develop Siakam to be an efficient star that doesn't get shut down on the offensive end.

This + developing some role players like Matt Thomas , FVV and Boucher is key. We're looking at the next two years primairily in terms of developing and being a very successful franchise.

Then when we do get our superstar, or at the very least a solid all star, we're pretty much in great shape to be a dynasty.
2019nbachamps
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,458

Post#27 » by 2019nbachamps » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:22 pm

That setup sounds so depressing. Players are going to get disgruntled after a while. They are human. Basketball and hotel room will get tiring after a few weeks.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,582

Post#28 » by Zeno » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:49 pm

I wonder what this setup is costing the Raptors and if a portion is shared by the league. It supposedly is going to cost 150 million for the Disney bubble. I bet a lot of other teams would have preferred this to going back to their home markets. Dinwiddie and Jordan seemed displeased by having to return to New York.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
And1Skip
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,725

Post#29 » by And1Skip » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:14 am

2019nbachamps wrote:That setup sounds so depressing. Players are going to get disgruntled after a while. They are human. Basketball and hotel room will get tiring after a few weeks.

Most of the Raptors have young children. I have young children too so if I was there, all I want to do after practice is go back to the hotel room and facetime with my kids all night before they sleep.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#30 » by gp2015 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 12:52 am

2019nbachamps wrote:That setup sounds so depressing. Players are going to get disgruntled after a while. They are human. Basketball and hotel room will get tiring after a few weeks.

It doesn't sound that much different from what they likely do most of the time during the season. Perhaps, the single/younger guys go out occasionally but anyone with families probably just hang out with their families and stuff after the game and get ready for the next one. Especially during playoff time, it's not like they go out and party every night.

The one thing they may miss is being with their wives/kids/parents.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,126

Post#31 » by The Duke » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:09 am

The hotel tvs prolly all have a direct connection to FaceTime or another service, for them to video call with anyone.
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#32 » by Vaclac » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:47 am

Yes, but isn't that what we've all pretty much experienced for months? Pandemic life is depressing whether you're in a Disney bubble or not. For those who have families that they were spending the time with though it does suck to be forced to leave them. At least they get real live socialization with their teammates and people on other teams too once there.

Return to Toronto Raptors