Image ImageImage Image

Second "bubble" in Chicago

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,406

Re: Second "bubble" in Chicago 

Post#21 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:36 am

netduri2 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:The funny sht is by AK not firing Boylen, hes going to 100% coach the second bubble.
Which is why i said the Bulls need to have a new coach in situations like this. So unprofessional.

Yes, not firing someone is completely unprofessional. The professional thing to do is fire people. :crazy:

You may not like Boylen and may want him gone immediately. That has nothing to do with professionalism.

Boylen himself is the symbol of unprofessionalism. His records are terrible. His communication skills with players is terrible.

Even the New York media mocked him. No one respects him as a NBA head coach which means keeping him also implies unprofessionalism.

It is surprising to see that even after all of messes he made this season Boylen still has his fan boys.

Wait Doug is a Boylen fan boy? Wow!
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#22 » by Dan Z » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:50 am

Chicago Bulls winner of the 2021 NBA 2nd Bubble!
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#23 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:57 am

There were discussions about the 8 teams having a mini Summer League, so this is a good thing. While it's not for anything, with a possible December start, that would mean that teams wouldn't have played for almost 9 months. That's not good for player development. I say let 'em play.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#24 » by dumbell78 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:22 am

This is dumb and 2 months from start of next season. Why? This feels like a crappy version of summer league, if that was even possible.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,803

Post#25 » by jc23 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:32 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:Why is this being considered?

Why would players even agree to this?

Who came up with this stupid idea in the 1st place?

im sure its about money.

Im calling it the "Blah Bubble"
Be curious, Not judgmental
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#26 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:08 am

Since this obviously won't affect the lottery odds, I really don't get the point. And if Jimbo is still around, I'm definitely out.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#27 » by HomoSapien » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:37 am

It's going to be such a bummer when we underachieve in this too.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Re: Second 

Post#28 » by dumbell78 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:47 am

Little Nathan wrote:Since this obviously won't affect the lottery odds, I really don't get the point. And if Jimbo is still around, I'm definitely out.

Imagine late September, down 14 to ATL with 0:13 left in the game......he calls a twenty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
bulls_troy
General Manager
And1: 270

Post#29 » by bulls_troy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:04 am

I personally hope they play because I just want to see my team play. This has been worse than off seasons. At least there is draft lotteries, the draft, free agency and trades in the off season. This has just been nothing
Twitter: @bulls_troy
Andi Obst
General Manager

Re: Second 

Post#30 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:28 am

dumbell78 wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:Since this obviously won't affect the lottery odds, I really don't get the point. And if Jimbo is still around, I'm definitely out.

Imagine late September, down 14 to ATL with 0:13 left in the game......he calls a twenty

Such a great teaching moment. The young guys will never forget it.

Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#31 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:33 am

I would really like to know how the NBA wants to make this interesting for the fans (because watching the 8 worst teams in the league play for nothing at all *may* not excite the casual basketball fan) and for the players. If they play just to play, I see a lot of players opting out and I won't blame them.

I mean, if I'm Lauri and I have the choice between staying at home with my family and playing meaningless basketball while not being able to see them (plus the risk of getting injured or COVID), I stay with my family 10 times out of 10.

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#32 » by JohnnyTapwater » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:54 am

So obviously it's about money and not the players safety.

I would love to tie winning and lottery standing into this IF it happens.

I would say that would mitigate tanking, but a team could tank the season only to dominate the Delete 8 Tourney for the top pick.
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#33 » by Andi Obst » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:15 am

JohnnyTapwater wrote:So obviously it's about money and not the players safety.

I would love to tie winning and lottery standing into this IF it happens.

I would say that would mitigate tanking, but a team could tank the season only to dominate the Delete 8 Tourney for the top pick.

A tournament for the top pick is not going to happen. The teams with the best odds right now will not agree to that and teams like the Spurs, Wizards, Kings or Blazers would also be mad because they aren't winning anything in Orlando but would have good chances in a losers tournament.

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Post#34 » by sco » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:59 am

The NBA NIT turney!

Admit it. We'd watch.
:clap:
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#35 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:42 pm

dumbell78 wrote:This is dumb and 2 months from start of next season. Why? This feels like a crappy version of summer league, if that was even possible.

If they don't do it, those teams wouldn't have played in almost 9 months. If anything, this is needed for team and player development.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#36 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:20 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
dumbell78 wrote:This is dumb and 2 months from start of next season. Why? This feels like a crappy version of summer league, if that was even possible.

If they don't do it, those teams wouldn't have played in almost 9 months. If anything, this is needed for team and player development.

While I do agree this is strictly a selfish act of the league trying to get money, the part about the players not playing for 9 months also is a big deal.

Its different if you choose not to play and will accept not playing for 9 months, that's ok. But when the league hinders a whole team preventing them from playing for 9 months, its a little different.

Generally the longest a non playoff team is offline is 5 months.

Honestly I have no idea how this will work. If its in September the "real" Bubble would be in their playoff conference finals.

I cant see people not watching the conference finals to watch their scrub teams playing in games that dont even count. So not sure how this is being handled.
The Cult of Personality
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#37 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:57 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Wait Doug is a Boylen fan boy? Wow!

Worse, I secretly aim Jim Boylen and am shadow campaigning to keep my job.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#38 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:01 pm

It would be interesting to know if NBA teams are requesting this to meet RSN contract numbers. Reportedly some teams wanted to play to let players develop, but it seems likely that there are clauses about minimum numbers of games that other teams need to hit in order to get paid.

Can't imagine why people are going to get up and arms about player safety for guys living in a bubble, be tested daily, have the lowest risk factor imaginable, will have the option to opt out if they choose, and will make millions doing their job compared to the typical retail employee whom on aggregate has much higher risk factors, deals with crazies who refuse to wear masks, isn't tested regularly, is constantly surrounded by people not tested regularly, and is making less money than if they were unemployed.

I have no problem with the NBA trying to move on with their business just like literally every other business in the world is trying to remain open as best they can under the circumstances. Yes, of course it is about money. The NBA is a business. That's why the players make millions and the owners make millions and they employee tons of people. The players know its a business and benefit from it being a business and want it to be a business too.

As a consumer of their business, I would also like them to remain open to the best of their ability so I can continue to consume the product and enjoy it.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Post#39 » by sco » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:07 pm

Can we call this the bursted bubble of fan hopes tourney?
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#40 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:02 pm

To revisit what I said...

Why not just experiment with formats and try a World Cup style bracket? (Group Stage games to determine placement and then 1-game elimination tourny). If they're gonna bother putting money into creating another 2nd bubble for 8 teams and their staffs, why not just make it a more watchable event?

Exhibition games are a snooze - not the 80s/90s where MJ and Bird bring it all.

I do think it's important for these tank team's young players to play. Lauri and Wendell have missed like... 40%+ of their career games. :noway:

Return to Chicago Bulls