2020 free agent targets and draft picks

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,381

Re: 2020 free agent targets and draft picks 

Post#241 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:37 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
IOW, my problem is with the NBA, not Ariza. Although, I will say good riddance to bad rubbish to Ariza. I liked him until he revealed himself

Revealed himself to prioritize family over work, as everyone should do?

By all accounts he gets one month of sole custody with his son per year. Its absurd to fault him for taking that month.

Its also going to help him in future custody battles with his ex to show he chose the child over the game. It will help him long term in gaining more time with his son. I guarantee this played a role in his decision. A competent attorney would suggest he make the move he made as a bridge to building a case for more custody.

It sucks for our playoff hopes, but building a case to get more time with a child is much more important. IDK how you cant see that.

He has a year or two left as an nba player and the rest of his life as a father.

I’d do the same thing if I were him and not worry about the haters.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#242 » by Goldbum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 pm

How much does Lonzo Ball weigh? At his hight I wonder if he could play some 3. Obviously not ideal but maybe dynamic if he's able to guard SF's in space. So many teams go small now anyway he could run some SF with the starters but more with the second unit, GTJ and Ant could flourish with that kind of playmaking next to them. He likely would cost an arm and a CJ to resign though.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,880

Post#243 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 pm

I think Lonzo would cost more via trade than we would be willing to part with, and the cost combined with using him in a role that doesn't maximize his strengths is a poor idea IMO. I really do like him as a complimentary player, I think he will find his was as a high level role guy on some championship caliber teams someday, but right now he doesn't fit the roster as a starting SF and while his game is absolutely perfect as the 3rd guard behind Dame and CJ, I don't think the cost will make him a fit there.

I see him as a guy that gets a very big first contract, never proves enough to be worth a similar second contract, gets a middle level deal on a contender once he is closer to his late 20's and becomes a indispensable role player on a few great teams. IDK, just seems the type to have a career play out like that.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#244 » by Goldbum » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Yeah at 190lbs he's not going to play much SF despite 6'6" and a 6'9" wingspan. He does rebound at s solid rate though and his shooting inconsistencies might be mitigated if he's not playing guard...
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
skoharry
Junior
And1: 20

Post#245 » by skoharry » Sat Jul 4, 2020 5:22 pm

We need a backup PG who can run the offense and will up our assist numbers
Defense and rebounding wins games
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#246 » by Goldbum » Sat Jul 4, 2020 5:44 pm

Tobias Harris has a worse contract than CJ... I would much rather do an Aaron Gordon trade, pick up a draft pick and save a ton of money. If we trade CJ (and start GTJ) then Gordons tertiary ball handling, defense and playmaking seem to be a better fit. If Portland really wanted to make the Thies/Smart trade we could still draft a guy like Bey or Precious to solidify our bench.
Dame/Smart/Ant
GTJ/Ant/J.Scrubb
Gordon/Little/GTJ
Collins/Precious/Gordon
Nurkic/Thies/Collins
Seems like a really nice athletic roster with the ability to go big or go small and frustrate both perimeter and interior players on D.
Didn't list Hood or Ariza as Hood likely doesn't play another game in Portland due to injury and contract. Ariza gets let go for additional savings.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#247 » by d-train » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:13 pm

skoharry wrote:I'm assuming this is just another off season thread. What would you guys think about this
CJ for Tobias Harris
S&T Whiteside and a 1st to Boston for Smart and Thies
We then have enough money to let Melo go and keep Ariza
Dame/Smart
Hood/Simons/2020 pick
Ariza/Trent/Hezonja
Harris/Collins/Little
Nurkic/Thies
Then we just use our BAE and VM to sign a couple fillers. Maybe use our VM for someone like O'Quinn and Langston Galloway

Hell no to CJ for Harris. That would throw our team completely in the toilet. If we are going to blow up the team, I would start by unloading Lillard's contract. But, we aren't going to blow up the team. So, this is nonsense.

You can't S&T a player in a multi-player trade. It has to be 1 for 1.

I like Thies. He's a very smart player. Smart is also good, but we don't really need either player. I like our players better. Ariza is gone, nobody wants to keep him. October 18 is the new drop dead date on Ariza. We can arrange a trade by October 18, or more likely, we just waive him.

I also don't anticipate Blazers trading our pick, unless it's part of a deal to take advantage of a team that needs to save money. I don't believe 1st round picks will have their usual overvalued status because of so many teams on tight budgets, the amount of league subsidized VM contracts that will be available, and the uncertain nature of the cost/reward ratio of rookies on guaranteed contracts.
skoharry
Junior

Post#248 » by skoharry » Sun Jul 5, 2020 8:01 am

Trade options at PF for me are Collins, Gordon, and Randle
Potential FA options
Backup PG - Augustin, Dunn, Napier, Mudiay, Teague, and Jackson (we need to up our assists and Simons is not the answer. He belongs backing up CJ)
Starting SF - harkless, James Johnson, Roberson, Craig, bembry, and Crowder
Backup C - Noel, O'Quinn, Baynes, Biyombo, Okafor, and plumlee
Backup PF if we get rid of Collins in a trade for an upgrade at PF - Patterson, vonleh, Juan hernangomez, saric, and any of the SF who can also play PF
I could see this team
Dame/Napier
CJ/Simons
Craig/Trent
Gordon/Saric
Nurkic/Biyombo
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#249 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 5, 2020 3:50 pm

So I've watched a ton more tape and situational analysis on Memphis and Wiseman/Precious lately.
Takeaways
Precious could be a phenomenal 3rd big with Collins and Nurkic he'd be that next level athlete with incredible movement and rebounding abilities that can guard in space, protect the rim, and wreak havoc with his motor and intensity.
Wiseman is no Whiteside clone. He's significantly more skilled, has better feet on the perimeter, a better than advertised BBIQ and feel for the game. I see Chris Bosh or a worse (high bar here) Tim Duncan.
If we net another pick from a Whiteside sign and trade or a CJ trade packaging both picks for Wiseman feel like a major coup if he slides. Pecious would be my guy if Bey, Vassell, and Nesmith are gone and we stay put (unless someone really slides, but I like him more than Patrick Williams).
skoharry
Junior

Post#250 » by skoharry » Sun Jul 5, 2020 7:49 pm

Who here would do a trade of Simons, Ariza, and Collins for John Collins or CJ, Collins, and a 1st for John Collins and Dedmon?
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#251 » by B0naf1d3 » Sun Jul 5, 2020 8:09 pm

Mikal Bridges would be a perfect fit IMO
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#252 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 5, 2020 9:48 pm

skoharry wrote:Who here would do a trade of Simons, Ariza, and Collins for John Collins or CJ, Collins, and a 1st for John Collins and Dedmon?

So if you look back on that year I was beating the drum for John Collins all season long...Even with that I wouldn't do either trade. He's just not a good defender at this level and plays a stat stuffing game of losing style basketball. He's got T-Rex arms as well.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#253 » by Goldbum » Sun Jul 5, 2020 9:50 pm

B0naf1d3 wrote:Mikal Bridges would be a perfect fit IMO

I see Bey as Bridges with more positional versatility. Can guard 1-5 and play 3 or 4 on offense. However you are absolutely correct that Bridges would be a fantastic fit.
B0naf1d3
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#254 » by B0naf1d3 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:42 am

Goldbum wrote:

I see Bey as Bridges with more positional versatility. Can guard 1-5 and play 3 or 4 on offense. However you are absolutely correct that Bridges would be a fantastic fit.

Very similar type Villanova players. I like Bey too in the draft. Avdija, Okoro, Williams, & Bey. If not, I call Phoenix about Bridges. They have Johnson/Oubre, so maybe it's a possibility with the Blazers FRP.

I'm not sure what value a FRP + Ariza + Simons/Trent/Little has around the league. The names I see the most and somewhat make sense fit wise/contractually are Gordon & J. Richardson.

At the moment, these are the scenarios i'm taking into draft day.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,442

Post#255 » by Myth » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:42 am

skoharry wrote:Who here would do a trade of Simons, Ariza, and Collins for John Collins or CJ, Collins, and a 1st for John Collins and Dedmon?

I'd do the first trade, but why would Portland add so much additional value in the 2nd trade compared to the first just to add Dedmon?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#256 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:36 pm

I am unsure why ATL would move John Collins. You don't trade nickels for a quarter in this league. It all quality over quantity.

And Tre / Simons would be a hilariously bad defensive guard duo.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#257 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:43 pm

Goldbum wrote:

I am very far from convinced Bey is a good defender. He has bad defensive rating, bad defensive win shares, bad DBPM, low steal/block rates. From the eye test he has slow feet and stiff hips and isn't huge into the hustle plays.

Not only is he not good, he looks quite BAD.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#258 » by d-train » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:54 pm

I know why Hawks aren't trading Collins. Nobody would give them anything for him. He's a stat player on a losing team. Trae Young is a player teams would want, Collins isn't.

Blazers have players that are proven winners. We won't be trading them for John Collins. Let Hawks try to win with that guy.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#259 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:05 pm

I am very far from convinced Bey is a good defender. He has bad defensive rating, bad defensive win shares, bad DBPM, low steal/block rates. From the eye test he has slow feet and stiff hips and isn't huge into the hustle plays.

I assumed he was talking about Tyler Bey, who is a excellent defender but potentially too much Andre Roberson on the other end of the floor. (Albeit Tyler's much better FT% .75 gives me more hope he builds a shot than Andre at .58)

Saddiq is getting overrated now IMO.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

Post#260 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:28 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I assumed he was talking about Tyler Bey, who is a excellent defender but potentially too much Andre Roberson on the other end of the floor. (Albeit Tyler's much better FT% .75 gives me more hope he builds a shot than Andre at .58)

Saddiq is getting overrated now IMO.

Oh yeah, Tyler Bey is gonna be a pretty fine to really good defender. Can see him being an efficient low-volume option too for the right team.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers