F
3%

Total votes: 75

nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Re: Ricky Rubio news and highlights 

Post#601 » by nevetsov » Tue May 12, 2020 5:37 am

RedIndian wrote:If Rubio had a jump shot, he'd have been a multiple time all-star. His IQ is off the charts.

If Rubio could shoot like Steve Nash, he'd be Steve Nash.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#602 » by darmani » Tue May 12, 2020 9:15 am

bigfoot wrote:
PharmD wrote:

Five minutes of Rubio taking offensive fouls for the Suns. I don't particularly think of Rubio as a fast, uber-athletic defender. Booker needs to watch this video 1000 times this summer.

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#603 » by RiRuHoops » Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm

Revived wrote:
PharmD wrote:

Can’t imagine Rubio is thrilled with the title of that video.

:lol: :rofl2:
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#604 » by cberry78 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:47 pm

[url][/url]
nevetsov wrote:
RedIndian wrote:If Rubio had a jump shot, he'd have been a multiple time all-star. His IQ is off the charts.

Wasn't he billed as the Spanish Steve Nash when he came over to the NBA?
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#605 » by lilfishi22 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:25 pm

nevetsov wrote:

Arguably better because Rubio can defend
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#606 » by nevetsov » Tue May 12, 2020 11:27 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:

Arguably better because Rubio can defend

What he gains in defence, he loses for the man-bun.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#607 » by Sugarless » Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 am

Fo-Real wrote:

You take away Aytons suspension, the major time losing injuries to Baynes, Frank the Tank, Cam, and replace Saric with an NBA Starting PF and this year would have been FUN!!!

Rubio and DA connecting at the rim, Rubio and Mikal connecting on back-door cuts and Rubio and Baynes connecting for the 3-point dagger. Then Rubio, Mikal, Baynes and DA playing defense. Those are the most fun and most promising images from these 2019-20 (rising) Suns.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#608 » by Wilber85 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:26 pm

nevetsov wrote:

He would be better than Steve Nash if he has Steve Nash shot.

My handicap Aunt has better Defense than steve nash
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#609 » by PharmD » Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Playing around with Ricky's assist numbers out of boredom. Here are the top 6 guys that received Rubio assists, in order, and the percentage of their total field goals that were assisted by just Ricky Rubio.

Booker: 91 assists, 16.7% of all FGs
Oubre: 76 assists, 20.3% of all FGs
Mikal: 72 assists, 34.3% of all FGs
Ayton: 71 assists, 27.9% of all FGs
Baynes: 63 assists, 34.4% of all FGs
Saric: 54 assists*, 24.9% of all FGs

*Note that Dario Saric would have been assisted many more times if he could make a layup

Mikal only played 56% of his minutes with Ricky Rubio (999/1772) and yet that huge percentage of his buckets came from Ricky. In conclusion, Ricky and Mikal are an awesome duo and should play together as much as possible.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#610 » by PharmD » Thu May 28, 2020 2:33 am

Then i was thinking about who gets Booker assists. These are the top guy that received more than 25 Booker assists in order:

Oubre: 69
Ayton: 59
Saric: 52
Rubio: 51
Baynes: 39
Bridges: 32
Cam: 31

Interesting. Saric and Oubre get almost as many assists from Booker as from Rubio. Ayton about 20% fewer but it's in the ballpark. Mikal and Baynes benefited massively from playing with Ricky Rubio. Mikal also played quite a few more minutes with Booker than with Rubio (1117 minutes vs 999). Ricky is the difference between Mikal just standing in the corner vs being a useful offensive threat.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,272

Post#611 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 am

It's amazing how fundamentally broken Rubio's jumper is, and that no one was ever able to help him fix it. He's a phenomenal player otherwise, and honestly, his warts make him pretty fun. Glad that he had such a great year in Phoenix.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#612 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:

People forget that Nash led the league in drawing charges year after year. I wish I could find the stats, but IIRC, he may have led the league in charges drawn each and every year of the SSOL era. He was truly gifted at it.

I've also watched games where opposing PG's really struggled against Steve - I recall watching one game where Chris Paul had a truly awful evening being defended by Nash, though we're just talking about one game there. But even if you go look at the advanced stats, it's important to keep in mind that our style of play prioritized flow, getting both teams in transition, avoiding fouls. So if you look at Marion's advanced defensive metrics during the SSOL era, they don't blow you away, despite the Matrix being one of the most gifted defenders of his generation. Of course, it didn't help our cause that refs wouldn't allow us to defend as physically as our opponents... I think I'll probably be griping about that little-known fact my whole life. My purple and orange grapes are sour.

Point is, Nash certainly wasn't a good defender, but he wasn't nearly as bad as people think. I'm willing to bet he was better than your handicap(ped) (a)unt, even.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#613 » by Saberestar » Thu May 28, 2020 7:45 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
nevetsov wrote:

People forget that Nash led the year in drawing charges year after year. I wish I could find the stats, but IIRC, he may have led the league in charges drawn each and every year of the SSOL era. He was truly gifted at it.

I've also watched games where opposing PG's really struggled against Steve - I recall watching one game where Chris Paul had a truly awful evening being defended by Nash, though we're just talking about one game there. But even if you go look at the advanced stats, it's important to keep in mind that our style of play prioritized flow, getting both teams in transition, avoiding fouls. So if you look at Marion's advanced defensive metrics during the SSOL era, they don't blow you away, despite the Matrix being one of the most gifted defenders of his generation. Of course, it didn't help our cause that refs wouldn't allow us to defend as physically as our opponents... I think I'll probably be griping about that little-known fact my whole life. My purple and orange grapes are sour.

Point is, Nash certainly wasn't a good defender, but he wasn't nearly as bad as people think. I'm willing to bet he was better than your handicap(ped) (a)unt, even.

Absolutely.

Nash was a master drawing chargers and he was smart on the defensive end. Underrated team defender.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,798

Post#614 » by Saberestar » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#615 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jul 6, 2020 2:33 pm

If everyone remembers (and yall never forget NOTHIN!!) I was a Rubio hater, didnt want him, said I hated his face. Rubio brings a smile to my face now!!! I love his effect on the team when he is on the court. Definitely makes the players around him better. Much better defender than I thought and better size also!!!
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#616 » by LukasBMW » Mon Jul 6, 2020 11:18 pm

If Rubio doesn't emerge from a 4 month lockdown with a new jump shop....I'm done with him.

He had 4 months to learn how to shoot.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#617 » by LesGrossman » Mon Jul 6, 2020 11:40 pm

LukasBMW wrote:If Rubio doesn't emerge from a 4 month lockdown with a new jump shop....I'm done with him.

He'll probably cry himself into sleep knowing that.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#618 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:42 pm

LukasBMW wrote:If Rubio doesn't emerge from a 4 month lockdown with a new jump shop....I'm done with him.

Well he did shoot over 35% from 3 this year so far, on par with Oubre, Baynes and Bridges and better than Saric and Kaminsky. Heck, Booker is only at 36%.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#619 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:47 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Well he did shoot over 35% from 3 this year so far, on par with Oubre, Baynes and Bridges and better than Saric and Kaminsky. Heck, Booker is only at 36%.

Oh, come on bw. You know the only reason Booker wasn't able to carry this team to .700 this season was because of Ricky Rubio. That's why we need Kira Lewis to come in here, show him how it's done. I mean heck, Kira shoots 36% from college three, which is, like, not even a whole yard closer to the basket.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#620 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:58 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Oh, come on bw. You know the only reason Booker wasn't able to carry this team to .700 this season was because of Ricky Rubio. That's why we need Kira Lewis to come in here, show him how it's done. I mean heck, Kira shoots 36% from college three, which is, like, not even a whole yard closer to the basket.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I don't know if people were not watching and are just going by reputation or what, but Rubio would hit 3s at a decent rate, and always had the willingness to take them when he got the ball and open. Some rebuttals could say he's not guarded but it's not like anyone really takes 3s when they are not wide open. All those guys launch them when they are wide open and someone finds them. If they were to take 3s while guarded, it's a bad shot. I guess Booker takes some off the dribble where he has a guy near him, but it's not usually when he's got a guy right on him close enough to alter shot (unless he tries to bait and jump into the guy which is often a poor decision with no call).

Return to Phoenix Suns