LeBron James To Forgo Social Justice Message On Back Of Jersey

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

LeBron James To Forgo Social Justice Message On Back Of Jersey 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:27 am

LeBron James will have his last name on the back of his jersey in lieu of a social justice message when the NBA season resumes.

James added that he had no input on the list of messages that players were able to choose from. 

"It was no disrespect to the list that was handed out to all the players. I commend anyone that decides to put something on the back of their jersey. It's just something that didn't really seriously resonate with my mission, with my goal.

"I would have loved to have a say-so on what would have went on the back of my jersey. I had a couple things in mind, but I wasn't part of that process, which is OK. I'm absolutely OK with that. ... I don't need to have something on the back of my jersey for people to understand my mission or know what I'm about and what I'm here to do," said James.

285 out of a possible 350 eligible players picked out a social justice message to use on the back of their jerseys.

JaVale McGee recently said that he would use "Respect Us," while Kyle Korver will use "Black Lives Matter."

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

raylewis
Sophomore
And1: 50

Re: LeBron James To Forgo Social Justice Message On Back Of Jersey 

Post#2 » by raylewis » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:54 am

chump,chump,chump.....
ToJoBuckets
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#3 » by ToJoBuckets » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:43 am

Lebron "Never risk a bag" James
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#4 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:17 am

Why does he have to pick a message on his jersey? He is probably the biggest jersey selling player in NBA. This whole jersey thing is corny.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 924

Post#5 » by perempe20 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:55 am

does Nike want to share the spotlight with BLM?
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 pm

I’m not surprised. LBJ wouldn’t speak out against China and he won’t speak up about this outside of Twitter.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#7 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:01 pm

I think Charles Barkley is right about this jersey subject. Many people want to watch sports as an escape from the news, politics and social issues.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,832

Re: LeBron James To Forgo Social Justice Message On Back Of Jer 

Post#8 » by Dick Tate » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Sounds like he’s stewing because “Chosen One” wasn’t on the list of options.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#9 » by random_hero891 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:I think Charles Barkley is right about this jersey subject. Many people want to watch sports as an escape from the news, politics and social issues.

Many people are content to escape from the news, politics and social issues via performers that live the news, politics and social issues.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#10 » by castor777 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:00 pm

TheCage4 wrote:I’m not surprised. LBJ wouldn’t speak out against China and he won’t speak up about this outside of Twitter.

No wonder Woj had to tell a senator to "f#&k off" with these incredibly lame China takes. Get over yourself. If you want someone to actually take a stand against China look to your government and POTUS, all of which who have shown they are far more hypocritical and cowardly in taking any real action than the NBA is.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#11 » by Elnegron » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:12 pm

castor777 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:I’m not surprised. LBJ wouldn’t speak out against China and he won’t speak up about this outside of Twitter.

No wonder Woj had to tell a senator to "f#&k off" with these incredibly lame China takes. Get over yourself. If you want someone to actually take a stand against China look to your government and POTUS, all of which who have shown they are far more hypocritical and cowardly in taking any real action than the NBA is.

If trump wasn't taking a stance against china, usa would be collecting penalties from China. The **** outta here with trump not doing nothing against china. China so deep on usa ass that anything positive ur president do seems meaningless that's what past politicians got us into. LeBron is a fake activist period
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#12 » by castor777 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:20 pm

Elnegron wrote:
castor777 wrote:

If trump wasn't taking a stance against china, usa would be collecting penalties from China. The **** outta here with trump not doing nothing against china. China so deep on usa ass that anything positive ur president do seems meaningless that's what past politicians got us into. LeBron is a fake activist period

Please dude. You're actually on a discussion about social justice and you're defending Trump, who was encouraging Xi to build more concentration camps of Uighur Muslims. And yet you're on here acting like you're mad at LeBron. The hypocrisy is so shallow.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#13 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:34 pm

random_hero891 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:I think Charles Barkley is right about this jersey subject. Many people want to watch sports as an escape from the news, politics and social issues.

Many people are content to escape from the news, politics and social issues via performers that live the news, politics and social issues.

Even many people that may agree with some things do not want to live them 24/7. I personally do not watch the news for basketball nor the NBA for the news. I can totally see what Barkley is speaking about and I agree with him. Many people will not care but I think many people just want to watch the NBA not be weighed down with more politics or social issues.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#14 » by random_hero891 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:17 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
random_hero891 wrote:

Even many people that may agree with some things do not want to live them 24/7. I personally do not watch the news for basketball nor the NBA for the news. I can totally see what Barkley is speaking about and I agree with him. Many people will not care but I think many people just want to watch the NBA not be weighed down with more politics or social issues.

Think about this statement, not wanting to live it 24/7 is a privilege, some people don't have that option and are forced to live it 24/7. Whether you want it or not this is a 24/7 issue.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#15 » by JV4MVP » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:45 pm

Refreshing to see an athlete not engage in politics
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#16 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 am

JV4MVP wrote:Refreshing to see an athlete not engage in politics

Racism isn't politics.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,948

Post#17 » by Cassius » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:59 am

ToJoBuckets wrote:Lebron "Never risk a bag" James

You raise a good point. I wonder if the NBPA negotiated jersey sales for individuals with a different name on the back of their number, or if the social message sales go into the custom jersey pot.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#18 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:09 am

Sounds like dog whistling to me. Or something.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#19 » by Galloisdaman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:46 am

random_hero891 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:
random_hero891 wrote:Many people are content to escape from the news, politics and social issues via performers that live the news, politics and social issues.

Think about this statement, not wanting to live it 24/7 is a privilege, some people don't have that option and are forced to live it 24/7. Whether you want it or not this is a 24/7 issue.

Everything is a privilege by your definition. So if I demand you stay up 24/7 listening to the news and you refuse is that because you are privileged? Why are you on this board right now instead of volunteering to work in Africa build homes? Is it your privilege? When Charles Barkley watches Basketball or Golf is he privileged to want to watch it for entertainment and not want it to be turned in to something else?
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#20 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm

Thats funny because when James Dolan failed to provide a statement in regards to social justice he wasn't able to fall back on his hiring history or what he's done in collective bargaining or what the knicks do in the community.

But Lebron can pick and choose when and how he makes statements according to his wallet.

Return to Wiretap Discussion