ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,643

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#701 » by chonestown » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:09 pm

I give those dogs my highest evaluation: Good.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#702 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 pm

buckboy wrote:My big stupid dog wanted to say hello.

He (she?) looks like a giant doofus and I love it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#703 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 am

I would like to contribute via my dummy, tripod cat.

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#704 » by buckboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:48 am

trwi7 wrote:
buckboy wrote:My big stupid dog wanted to say hello.

He (she?) looks like a giant doofus and I love it.

He is 150 lbs of doofusness
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#705 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 am

Here's my little guy, only kinda sick of me being at home all the time.

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#706 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Sup.

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,651

Post#707 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Oh hey.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#708 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Get a load of this sh*thead.

midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,989

Post#709 » by midranger » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:57 am

So.... where is everyone’s bug out spot? I’m thinking Portugal. Maybe Switzerland.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#710 » by vital_signs » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:42 pm

midranger wrote:So.... where is everyone’s bug out spot? I’m thinking Portugal. Maybe Switzerland.

Mr. money bags over here. I'm going to say Wyoming....the barren non-mountainous part that I could somewhat afford. Work is slow slow today so it looks like I'm going to be looking up land for sale on Zillow. :lol:
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,225

Post#711 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:29 pm

I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. Great places. I wouldn't live there but fun to go to from time to time.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Post#712 » by jute2003 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I've spent a lot of time in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho. Great places. I wouldn't live there but fun to go to from time to time.
My dad grew up in a mining town in Idaho. I went out there with him to visit a few years ago. The mine has been closed for years. Beautiful and completely desolate.... It would be a hell of a transition to say the least.
only a fan, only an opinion
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#713 » by BUCKnation » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Japan and/or Australia. Had a trip planned last month that got cancelled, so i'd run it back.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Twitter is having a very bad afternoon.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#715 » by MissKhriddleton » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Would anybody with a Computer Science background be able to help me out and let me know what they think the merits of a program like this would be? It's an online post-baccalaureate program through Oregon State for people with zero background in CS. Looks like you come out with a BS.

https://eecs.oregonstate.edu/academic/online-cs-postbacc

It'd take at least 2 years and it's a little over $30,000 which is a huge amount of money. I feel like I've heard that companies don't really care what your education is as long as you have the skills so just "teach yourself to code, bro" so I'm not sure if something like this is worth it. Don't have a specific goal in mind as I have zero experience with coding, etc. but want to get out of education.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#716 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:39 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Would anybody with a Computer Science background be able to help me out and let me know what they think the merits of a program like this would be? It's an online post-baccalaureate program through Oregon State for people with zero background in CS. Looks like you come out with a BS.

It'd take at least 2 years and it's a little over $30,000 which is a huge amount of money. I feel like I've heard that companies don't really care what your education is as long as you have the skills so just "teach yourself to code, bro" so I'm not sure if something like this is worth it. Don't have a specific goal in mind as I have zero experience with coding, etc. but want to get out of education.

I was an English major with programming and dev skills I picked up on the side over the course of a couple years. I got my first big job out of college because I went into my interview with my laptop and said to the two ladies, "Here's what I can do for your website" and showed them my version of it. I got the offer call before I even got home.

That was 14 years ago. Since then I've worked for two agencies and now a major company where I handle all their web dev, SEO and e-commerce. Never once have had a minute of formal training. I'm sure there's obvious value in a CS degree, and you would learn a lot. But there is an infinite number of free or incredibly cheap resources online that can have you developing cool **** in a matter of weeks.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 980

Post#717 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:54 pm

If you can memorize the lines "Have you tried restarting your computer?" and "I'll have to put in a ticket to elevate this to level 2" you're already overqualified to work for my company's IT dept :D
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#718 » by step3profit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:58 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Would anybody with a Computer Science background be able to help me out and let me know what they think the merits of a program like this would be? It's an online post-baccalaureate program through Oregon State for people with zero background in CS. Looks like you come out with a BS.

IMO, you can break in to development fairly easily if you can just show you know your stuff, which is a journey you can begin on freecodecamp.org, with a Udemy class, etc.

If you live in the Midwest, don't want to start your own company, and want to get past mid-low level manager level, you'll likely need some kind of degree in Engineering or Business, depending on your focus.

If you are starting from scratch, then just spend 10 bucks on a Udemy full stack class focused on Node and React; or start on freecodecamp for free. If you can't push through most of that, spending $30k isn't going to make it an appealing career - just one you are stuck with to pay back the cash.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#719 » by emunney » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:26 pm

lynda.com has some inexpensive guided stuff. You can also just download R and some data and screw around. Recommend trying a variety of different things to see if anything really tickles you. If not, there are definitely other careers you could pursue if you're potentially willing to spend 30k on training.

ETA: Just tried to go to lynda.com and apparently linkedin bought it, no idea how much it's changed. Not a great rec. Sorry!
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#720 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:02 pm

emunney wrote:lynda.com has some inexpensive guided stuff. You can also just download R and some data and screw around. Recommend trying a variety of different things to see if anything really tickles you. If not, there are definitely other careers you could pursue if you're potentially willing to spend 30k on training.

ETA: Just tried to go to lynda.com and apparently linkedin bought it, no idea how much it's changed. Not a great rec. Sorry!

Check with your local library. I know mine offers a free Lynda membership as a service if you've got a library card.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks