Centers, Cousins?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Centers, Cousins? 

Post#1 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:34 pm

We have got our speed and jumping center, Marquese Chriss
We have our team play smart gritty center, Looney (if he can stay healthy).
We might have our center of the future, Wiseman (he is basically straight out of high school, don't expect him to be playable this year)
We have our small ball gimmick center, Draymond. (Paschall should be good enough to take enough power forward minutes to let Draymond play some center.

What's missing?
We have no lumberjack and we have no Stretch 5.
I am from the 1980s, so I want the option of playing an immovable object that can't be denied inside position. I am thinking Zaza, Felton Spencer, Greg Kite. There are very few low post scorrers using power to score and rebound today so having a lumberjack to foul Shaq hard 6 times isn't needed. Drummond isn't really worth worrying about that much. Still I am just not comfortable not having a moving mountain type player on the team.

Then there is stretch 5. A center that can knock down 3s is a nice wrinkle. I am thinking Steve Novak, Channing Frye.
Maybe Smailagic or Bender or vet min guy can take the stretch 5 role.

There is one guy that might be cheap if he can stay healthy that can be both the Lumberjack and the stretch 5. Can his ego handle being a role player. He probably can't stay healthy, which is why he might be cheap. I am talking about Cousins. What is Cousins up to?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: Centers, Cousins? 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:01 pm

Gasol, Bogut, Vuc, Valanciunas, Lopez (either), Adams ... the first two could reasonably be had for money/assets the Warriors have, the others not likely but an outside possibility.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#3 » by HiRez » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:02 pm

I don’t know, I feel like we went through the Cousins experiment and it didn’t go that well. Of course the injuries played a huge part and that’s not his fault, but I never felt like his play style was a good fit for the Warriors. We need gazelles and he’s more of a hippo. Even though there are situations where a hippo is useful, is it worth changing the whole play style of the team for?
KidPistol
Sixth Man
And1: 1,510

Post#4 » by KidPistol » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 pm

If we could get Adams in a Warriors uniform, I’d order 3 of his jerseys right away. I’m sure we’d have to get rid of Wiggins contract and what not. I also understand that it’s close to basically no chance of happening but still I can dream.
The scariest question in NBA history.

"Can Stephen Curry get better?"
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#5 » by TB » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:16 am

Cousins turned out to be a terrible decision the first time around. Lets not do that again.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#6 » by DAWill1128 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:13 am

Cousins hurt us in that he was injured by the Finals. People talk about Klay and KD but Cousins literally couldn't make it past half court a lot of the series. I respect the hell out of Cousins for trying but he was limping all series and it's tough to watch someone in that type of constant pain. With that being said, imo we would've demolished the Raptors with a healthy Cousins.

In the regular season I thought we looked great with Cousins while he was rehabbing pre-playoff injury. Even when KD was out we made easy work of teams with Cousins. More so than anything I noticed when Cousins played well it allowed our stars to take it easier which is a luxury.

Ultimately we paid the price in the end because we used the MLE on Cousins instead of a healthy guy(s).

But I totally agree we got pushed around inside this year in a way I never saw in previous years. Run n gun is fun but you can't be as soft as we were. Guys like Steven Adams make a difference. We need something, I would take Gasol, Baynes, or Howard.

For those that say we weren't good with Cousins that is simply not true. For the record we were a 733 winning percentage (23-7) with Cousins and 653 winning percentage (34-18) without Cousins. He was a tough guy to get around on box outs.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#7 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:58 am

Baynes also can be both the strong guy that is hard to push arround and the Stretch 5. Baynes is more likely to be healthy. Cousins has morupside if you get lucky on his heath. I wonder what their contract price difference is.

At least with Baynes you don't have to worry about him not being emotionally prepared to be a role player instead of a starter.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#8 » by B-King » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:39 am

I've got love for Cousins. If he can play and is on a low risk contract, then I am in. He got along with the team, wasn't a distraction and got injured coming back too soon for the Warriors. His ability to score inside is something the Warriors could definitely use. The balance on the floor between Curry, Klay and Cousins is pretty solid.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#9 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 am

Cousins is fine....but not a "thank you for another paycheck I'm not really healthy" Cousins.

Man...this dude has had some really bad luck injury wise :(
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#10 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:08 am

I am not sugesting Speights. I think he did no play this year.
But this is a fun video https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/9ns8pf/marreese_speights_41_points_1327_fg_717_3pt_vs/
Mo had a 41 point exhibition game 2 years ago.
There was some other news were KD was upset about Warriors fans cheering for Speights when Speights came town with the Clippers. Why didn't we love KD like we loved Speights. We hurt KD's feelings.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#11 » by Kuya » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:15 am

For a cheap 1 year I would take back Cousins. He will be our 6th man though and Chriss would still start.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:33 pm

We can use one-skill vets deep on the bench, if Cousins can play 10 minutes a night he cal lead the 2nd unit as a scorer and facilitator he'd be fine. And maybe he could be better than that. But he doesn't really "solve" anything.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#13 » by donkeylips » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:53 pm

if he's healthy i would love him back
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:44 pm

I would love for Cousins to have a healthy season with ya, but if there is a better option or equal option I’d go the other way.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#15 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:17 am

https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/07/15/rumors-warriors-could-offer-blockbuster-trade-to-76ers-for-joel-embiid/?fbclid=IwAR2R8ObxH6tVbGvsSGAnABOTNhmBud7EcdyRoKBaqsgMmcOSZt8tNk5eHEc

Embiid is a traditional center that I would like to see on the dubs. I saw this on the GB but I wouldn't actually call it a rumor as much as a hypothetical. I don't want anything to do with Cousins. Realistically, I would like to see us go after Plumlee in Denver or Baynes in PHX.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#16 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:38 am

whatisacenter wrote:https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/07/15/rumors-warriors-could-offer-blockbuster-trade-to-76ers-for-joel-embiid/?fbclid=IwAR2R8ObxH6tVbGvsSGAnABOTNhmBud7EcdyRoKBaqsgMmcOSZt8tNk5eHEc

Embiid is a traditional center that I would like to see on the dubs. I saw this on the GB but I wouldn't actually call it a rumor as much as a hypothetical. I don't want anything to do with Cousins. Realistically, I would like to see us go after Plumlee in Denver or Baynes in PHX.

Embiid has the traditional injury prone big body of an elite NBA center but because of changes to the game in the last decade or so he doesn't park himself in the low post and go to work like prior elite centers did.

So a guy that won't play more than 65 games or so a season yet tops out at about 48% from the field and likes to chuck way more 3s than he should.

I would much rather invest in more big, rangy forwards with guard skills than an aircraft carrier center like Embiid.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#17 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:27 am

TB wrote:Cousins turned out to be a terrible decision the first time around. Lets not do that again.

Yeah, he was terrible. No idea why Kerr kept him on the court in the Finals. His career is over.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#18 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 pm

I wouldn’t mind the return of Spellman. Wish he was 3 inches taller so he could be a more credible rim protector. But he’s a legit stretch 5, hits the offensive glass, and can bruise with bigger guys. It’s not out of the realm of possibility he gets waived by Minnesota and could be had as a two-way player. If MLE, TPE and draft pick get us wings and guards, say something like Jae Crowder on MLE, Luke Kennard with a pick swap that gets us Halliburton, I’d feel ok going into the season with something like this:

Curry/Haliburton/Poole
Klay/Kennard/Mulder
Wiggins/Crowder/Lee
Green/Paschall
Chriss/Looney/Spellman
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:12 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
TB wrote:Cousins turned out to be a terrible decision the first time around. Lets not do that again.

Yeah, he was terrible. No idea why Kerr kept him on the court in the Finals. His career is over.

Who is your prefferrred 2nd option, injurrred Cousins or Quinn Cook?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:31 am

For those advocating for Cousins...Are you blind? Did you not notice the terrible fit?

And I used to love Cousins. He’s just not a fit here in any way.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors