ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#621 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:17 am

Let's say we could get into the top 5.

Who do you guys like?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#622 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Let's say we could get into the top 5.

Who do you guys like?

How would they get into the top 5 and secondly why would you trade up to top 5 in this draft? It's like the 2013 draft where the top 5 is very weak and middle of draft is very solid and deep. Scouts say picks 20-40 are all very similar.

But to answer your question, Ant Edwards, Wiseman, or Okoro. And I wouldn't trade up for any of them.

I wonder how high trading 26 and 30 would get though. PHI traded 24 and 33 for #22 last year. So 26 and 30 would probably get you up to #20 at best. Could definitely see that since it's very small chance they carry 3 rookies.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#623 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Just went and looked back at the draft thread from last year lol. Holy hell people lost their mind after every Celtics pick! It was "Fire Ainge" and "He's trying to get canned" and "What is he doing" after picking Langford, Williams, Edwards, and Waters. People wanted Sekou, Nassir, and the funniest was wanting Bol Bol at 14.

Apparently Langford and Williams could've been picked in the 2nd round and were major reaches, despite every mock draft having Langford comfortably in the top 20 and Williams projected anywhere from 18-30 :lol:

But same thing happened in 2016 when people flipped about not taking Bender or Dunn. And in 2017 when Ainge traded the Fultz pick.

I'm convinced that if they took Zion or Ja at #14 there would still somehow be complaints about the drat.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#624 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:08 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Just went and looked back at the draft thread from last year lol. Holy hell people lost their mind after every Celtics pick! It was "Fire Ainge" and "He's trying to get canned" and "What is he doing" after picking Langford, Williams, Edwards, and Waters. People wanted Sekou, Nassir, and the funniest was wanting Bol Bol at 14.

Apparently Langford and Williams could've been picked in the 2nd round and were major reaches, despite every mock draft having Langford comfortably in the top 20 and Williams projected anywhere from 18-30 :lol:

But same thing happened in 2016 when people flipped about not taking Bender or Dunn. And in 2017 when Ainge traded the Fultz pick.

I'm convinced that if they took Zion or Ja at #14 there would still somehow be complaints about the drat.

I openly sulked when they drafted Grant. I won't lie. But that's because I wanted Clarke with the Langford pick and Clarke has been solid for Memphis. I was happy with the Edwards pick though. I wanted him and still like him even though he hasn't produced yet. But Grant has been solid in a different way than I expected. Just reminder though that none of us really know anything. I no longer try to pick personal favorites but guys that I think Danny would be interested in based on trends in guys he has historically selected. The current flavor of the month is Cole Anthony who fits the trend of guys who have elite high school rankings before college. And Cole is an explosive shot creator 1 on 1 or using a pick which is something Brad definitely likes in his ballhandlers. He's young enough that you can put him in the G next year even as a lotto pick and let him get comfortable with our system before trying to open up a spot for him in a year or 2 a la Terry.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#625 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:18 pm

Who do you guys like?

.......is there something you'd like to tell us Cave? Perhaps some insider information regarding a certain California team that may be interested in trading their lottery pick to us? :)
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#626 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:30 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Just went and looked back at the draft thread from last year lol. Holy hell people lost their mind after every Celtics pick! It was "Fire Ainge" and "He's trying to get canned" and "What is he doing" after picking Langford, Williams, Edwards, and Waters. People wanted Sekou, Nassir, and the funniest was wanting Bol Bol at 14.

I openly sulked when they drafted Grant. I won't lie. But that's because I wanted Clarke with the Langford pick and Clarke has been solid for Memphis. I was happy with the Edwards pick though. I wanted him and still like him even though he hasn't produced yet. But Grant has been solid in a different way than I expected. Just reminder though that none of us really know anything. I no longer try to pick personal favorites but guys that I think Danny would be interested in based on trends in guys he has historically selected. The current flavor of the month is Cole Anthony who fits the trend of guys who have elite high school rankings before college. And Cole is an explosive shot creator 1 on 1 or using a pick which is something Brad definitely likes in his ballhandlers. He's young enough that you can put him in the G next year even as a lotto pick and let him get comfortable with our system before trying to open up a spot for him in a year or 2 a la Terry.

Very fair. I wasn't a big fan of any of the picks but that's because I wasn't that excited about last year's draft. Was fine with Romeo and Grant picks. Just looking back it was funny to see people calling for Ainge's head after the Romeo pick lol. He was projected right there in the teens and people acted like he was a major reach. He was a 17 PPG scorer at IU and a top 5 recruit. Shot obviously needed work but he has high ceiling. Grant was 2x SEC POY and people thought he was a scrub. Just funny to see lol.

I agree on Cole. He was a consensus top 5 pick before the year, pretty similarly to Romeo but actually a better prospect. I could definitely see Celtics picking him which I'd be fine with. I don't see any rookie coming in and being a major contributor anyways next year since their top 10 in rotation will all be back most likely. Only have room for probably 2 rookies at most on the roster.

I would actually love Cole at 17 since I'm a believer in his ceiling and then trading 26 and 30 for maybe 22 and picking another high upside guy.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#627 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:39 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

Who do you guys like?

.......is there something you'd like to tell us Cave? Perhaps some insider information regarding a certain California team that may be interested in trading their lottery pick to us? :)

I think Ws will look to trade down depending on where the pick comes in. but I think the move would be something more like:

Ws pick/Wiggins for 15/Aaron Gordon/Bomba.

With that said...
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,805

Post#628 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:44 pm

I'm thinking that Ainge may keep all 4 picks. We can keep 20-Men on the Roster in the Offseason.
And, the time is going to be so short this year, before the 2020-21 Season begins.

Celtics can make those Trades after the Draft. -- Though if there is a Trade at Draft time, then I would think that it would involve Hayward. -- And, that it would most likely need to be something that Hayward himself, would be in agreement with.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#629 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Parliament10 wrote:I'm thinking that Ainge may keep all 4 picks. We can keep 20-Men on the Roster in the Offseason.
And, the time is going to be so short this year, before the 2020-21 Season begins.

Celtics can make those Trades after the Draft. -- Though if there is a Trade at Draft time, then I would think that it would involve Hayward. -- And, that it would most likely need to be something that Hayward himself, would be in agreement with.

Maybe. Can't they just keep 15 on active roster for season?

Kemba/Tremont
Brown/Smart/Edwards
Tatum/Romeo
Hayward/Grant
Theis/Kanter/Timelord

That's 12 that are absolutely back next year. Poirier unfortunately has another year so 13. Semi has a cheap team option that could be picked up so 14.

I think it's unlikely all 3 first rounders are kept but if they don't pick up Semi's option and they can somehow dump Poirier then they will have only 12 roster spots and can draft 3 first rounders.

I'd bet on them taking 2 first rounders and keeping one of Semi or Poirier.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#630 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:20 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I'm thinking that Ainge may keep all 4 picks. We can keep 20-Men on the Roster in the Offseason.

Kemba/Tremont
Brown/Smart/Edwards
Tatum/Romeo
Hayward/Grant
Theis/Kanter/Timelord

That's 12 that are absolutely back next year. Poirier unfortunately has another year so 13. Semi has a cheap team option that could be picked up so 14.

I think it's unlikely all 3 first rounders are kept but if they don't pick up Semi's option and they can somehow dump Poirier then they will have only 12 roster spots and can draft 3 first rounders.

Yes, 15-Men for the Regular Season, which is going to start in December for the 2020-21 Season.
But, we can keep 20-Men on the Offseason Roster. Which would be somewhere between the start of Free Agency and Opening Night.

Actually, we can choose all the Draft picks, cause they don't count toward the roster, until they are actually signed.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#631 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:47 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Kemba/Tremont
Brown/Smart/Edwards
Tatum/Romeo
Hayward/Grant
Theis/Kanter/Timelord

Yes, 15-Men for the Regular Season, which is going to start in December for the 2020-21 Season.
But, we can keep 20-Men on the Offseason Roster. Which would be somewhere between the start of Free Agency and Opening Night.

Actually, we can choose all the Draft picks, cause they don't count toward the roster, until they are actually signed.

Right I was just assuming all 3 first rounders would be signed. So, that would mean Poirier would be dumped and Semi would be gone too since there are 12 locked in roster spots for next season.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#632 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Looks like at #17 the top players potentially available are:

Guards: Cole Anthony, RJ Hampton, Tyrese Maxey, Theo Maledon, Kira Lewis, Jahmius Ramsey
Wings: Aaron Nesmith, Saddiq Bey, Josh Green, Jaden McDaniels
Forwards: Precious Achiuwa, Patrick Williams, Aleksej Pokusevski

I'm assuming all but one of Cole, Hampton, Maxey, Achiuwa, and Nesmith will likely all be gone by 17. Those are the top players out of this group in my opinion.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#633 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:

Kemba/Tremont
Brown/Smart/Edwards
Tatum/Romeo
Hayward/Grant
Theis/Kanter/Timelord

I'd be very surprised if both Tremont and Edwards are on the 15 man roster next year. I know Tremont was rookie of the year in the G-League but... it's the G-League. And Edwards showed nothing this year. I can't fathom us handing the backup PG job to a 2nd rounder that has shown absolutely nothing at the NBA level, which is how both Tremont and Edwards can be described. There's a reason why players in the second round get drafted there. It's an upset if they even make it to the end of their rookie deals, never mind become good rotation pieces.

Don't get me wrong, I think both Edwards and Tremont are deserving of NBA roster spots. Tremont showed out well in the G-League and that warrants an NBA opportunity. Edwards struggled but that doesn't negate his skill set that got him taken in the high 2nd last year. I'm just expecting that the backup PG spot will be filled to start the year either by a veteran signing (DJ Augustine, Jeff Teague, etc.) or with a more highly touted rookie that has better NBA projection (Cole Anthony, Kira Lewis, potentially Grent Riller/Nico Mannion). I think either Tremont or Edwards would be a good, young depth option to have as the third PG. But with only so many roster spots and Smart capable of playing the point (particularly if Langford claims more time at the SG spot) I think keeping both as 3rd and 4th guys would be too much. So I think you gotta pick one for an NBA deal. If it's Edwards, you try to get Tremont back on the G-League or make the tough call not to match if a team gives him an NBA deal. If it's Waters, I imagine someone out there has cap space/trade exception to take on Edwards for free and clear the roster spot.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#634 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Kemba/Tremont
Brown/Smart/Edwards
Tatum/Romeo
Hayward/Grant
Theis/Kanter/Timelord

I'd be very surprised if both Tremont and Edwards are on the 15 man roster next year. I know Tremont was rookie of the year in the G-League but... it's the G-League. And Edwards showed nothing this year. I can't fathom us handing the backup PG job to a 2nd rounder that has shown absolutely nothing at the NBA level, which is how both Tremont and Edwards can be described. There's a reason why players in the second round get drafted there. It's an upset if they even make it to the end of their rookie deals, never mind become good rotation pieces.

Don't get me wrong, I think both Edwards and Tremont are deserving of NBA roster spots. Tremont showed out well in the G-League and that warrants an NBA opportunity. Edwards struggled but that doesn't negate his skill set that got him taken in the high 2nd last year. I'm just expecting that the backup PG spot will be filled to start the year either by a veteran signing (DJ Augustine, Jeff Teague, etc.) or with a more highly touted rookie that has better NBA projection (Cole Anthony, Kira Lewis, potentially Grent Riller/Nico Mannion). I think either Tremont or Edwards would be a good, young depth option to have as the third PG. But with only so many roster spots and Smart capable of playing the point (particularly if Langford claims more time at the SG spot) I think keeping both as 3rd and 4th guys would be too much. So I think you gotta pick one for an NBA deal. If it's Edwards, you try to get Tremont back on the G-League or make the tough call not to match if a team gives him an NBA deal. If it's Waters, I imagine someone out there has cap space/trade exception to take on Edwards for free and clear the roster spot.

Ehh I see your point but highly doubt they're giving up on Carsen after giving him a 4 year deal. I'd also expect them to bring in a veteran backup PG, or possibly drafting one, but I personally expect both Carsen and Tremont to be on the roster. I don't see any way Tremont is back in the G-league another year.

I don't envision them having either as backup PG but Tremont I absolutely see in that Shane Larkin role as 3rd PG change of pace guard and Carsen as a combo guard. Either way, they're both going to be 11th or 12th on roster so not even in the rotation.

Right now in order I see the following: Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Theis, Smart, Kanter, Timelord, Grant Williams, Romeo as the top 10. Next would be Carsen, Tremont, and Poirier which puts them at 13 guys. I think they will either take a guy like Cole Anthony to be backup PG or sign a guy on veteran minimum to fill that role.

So, back to original point, I think they have room for 2 rookies at most, unless they can find someone to take on Poirier's contract. It'll also be crucial to have rookie contracts in the next few years as well for salary cap reasons, which makes me think they might package 17 and 26 to move up for Cole if he's their guy for example.

But, a lot changes so who knows at this point. Not many expected for Celtics to make 4 draft picks last year either so we'll see.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#635 » by Green89 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:09 pm

What are the new draft lottery and draft dates?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#636 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 am

Green89 wrote:What are the new draft lottery and draft dates?

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#637 » by captain green » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:26 pm

Draft lottery has been moved to august 20th
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#638 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:55 pm

My new binkie is Aleksej Pokusevski. 7 footer, fairly athletic, 7'3 wingspan and can shoot/pass/dribble. Buts he's only 200 pounds. He also wont be 18 until late December which is about as young as you can be and still be draft eligible. I could see him being a target at 17 and then draft and stashed and hope he can bulk up over the next year or two. Might be gone by 17, most mocks have his 11-15.

I do wonder if this is a year we see the Celtics move up, if they see a guy they like maybe there's value there with most the league seemingly not enamored of the class. Of course it takes two to make a trade, but value wise its approximately....
26+30 to pick 21.
17+30 to pick 13.
17+26 to pick 12.
17+26+30 to pick 9/10ish.

Of course you may also see flip a pick for a future first to push that value back, or use a pick to drop salary to save the some luxury tax. the good news is there arent a lot of guys who i think you'd need to pay to dump. Semi is still intriguing, even Edwards i think someone would take a flier. Maybe poirer.

A draft like trade 17+30 for 13 to draft Aleksej Pokusevski and stash him. Flip 26 for protected future first, use 2nd roudner to dump salary. Not the sexiest draft but effective. Substitute whoever your draft binkie is for Aleksej if you prefer.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#639 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:00 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:My new binkie is Aleksej Pokusevski. 7 footer, fairly athletic, 7'3 wingspan and can shoot/pass/dribble. Buts he's only 200 pounds. He also wont be 18 until late December which is about as young as you can be and still be draft eligible. I could see him being a target at 17 and then draft and stashed and hope he can bulk up over the next year or two. Might be gone by 17, most mocks have his 11-15.

I do wonder if this is a year we see the Celtics move up, if they see a guy they like maybe there's value there with most the league seemingly not enamored of the class. Of course it takes two to make a trade, but value wise its approximately....
26+30 to pick 21.
17+30 to pick 13.
17+26 to pick 12.
17+26+30 to pick 9/10ish.

Of course you may also see flip a pick for a future first to push that value back, or use a pick to drop salary to save the some luxury tax. the good news is there arent a lot of guys who i think you'd need to pay to dump. Semi is still intriguing, even Edwards i think someone would take a flier. Maybe poirer.

A draft like trade 17+30 for 13 to draft Aleksej Pokusevski and stash him. Flip 26 for protected future first, use 2nd roudner to dump salary. Not the sexiest draft but effective. Substitute whoever your draft binkie is for Aleksej if you prefer.

Poku is intriguing. Lots of physical developent to do so probably some "boom or bust" with him. I prefer Kira Lewis Jr and Patrick Williams to him because I see huge upside for them in our system with a little easier projection. But Poku would be strong consideration for me as well because at the end of the day, I think we maybe not "need" to but it'd be huge to hit an absolute home run pick and have another top of the rotation young guy along with Tatum/Brown. I'd rather gamble on an upside play at #17 than get another Grant Williams type.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#640 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:42 pm

Xavier Tillman is an interesting prospect for me. I think he can bring some of the Horford skill set. He's 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan compared to 6'9" with a 7'1" wingspan for Horford. Like Horford, he's a good secondary playmaker and can keep the ball moving within the offensive scheme. Sets good screens, fundamentally sounds. I like his defensive potential to switch and hold down paint. The jump shot shows potential to be effective.

I think Horford would be the high end of his upside. I think he could settle in as a Daniel Theis fit too. Maybe with a little more size. It's not a super flashy pick but I could definitely see him fitting into our rotation. We all hope Rob Williams pans out but the injury history is somewhat concerning. Kanter seems unlikely to be here past next year. Theis is a FA after next year. Next year is his age 28 season so if he's re-signed you're talking his age 29 and potentially 30 seasons (can see 2 years for him, can't see 3). He's had knee issues so wouldn't be the worst thing to add another big to the pipeline as a contingency plan.

Return to Boston Celtics