ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#521 » by chellis » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:07 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Since a few on here like the idea of drafting a Center, here is one that should be available late in the draft . Daniel Oturu. He is a solid prospect, but doesn't do anything flashy... I doubt he would be the answer to fill our void at center, but he could be a decent option if fell to our 56 pick.

Oturu won't fall to 56. He'll be a late first rounder most likely in the 22-30 range. If he slipped in to the second round, he'd have to be taken with the 32 pick. Only way he makes a drastic fall is if his medicals have a huge red flag.
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#522 » by Soul Rebel » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:25 pm

Barring a lucky bounce into the top-3, I really like what I see of Vassell at 8.

With such a murky talent pool from 4-10, I don't think he would be a reach at 8, depending on who else is there.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#523 » by Braggins » Tue Jul 7, 2020 9:59 pm

I like Wiseman and Ball if we move up or one of them falls (I think we need upside above all else).

I really don't know what to think about Okungwu yet, as I get the appeal, but feel like he is kind of a safe pick, so I'm not sure how excited I be about him if we move up in the lottery, but if he falls to 8 then he obviously seems like a great pick (seems highly unlikely).

As for players likely to be there around 8, I think I like a couple of the Euro players. I haven't gotten everyones names straight yet, but the 6'10" stretch PF and the Israeli dude are the ones that caught my eye. I'm skeptical about Toppin for this team.

I've still barely researched this draft, so my opinions could be completely off.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#524 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:09 am

316Hornets wrote:Avdija is a poor free throw shooter, has a slow release, and his size advantage won't be nearly as big playing in the NBA. He has some talent but I think a very low ceiling and high bust potential.

Avdija’s short wingspan relative to his height will be problematic in the NBA.

Doesn’t have the length to guard 4’s and lack of lateral quickness could be an issue in guarding wings.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#525 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:37 pm

WORD IS THAT XAVIER TILLMAN WILL RETURN TO @MSU_BASKETBALL & PULL OUT OF @NBADRAFT & THAT WOULD BE GREAT NEWS FOR SPARTANS PLUS FOR XAVIER . HE CAN ELEVATE HIS STOCK FOR NEXT YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS GIVE MSU A SUPER CHANCE FOR A NATIONAL TITLE .

— DICK VITALE (@DICKIEV) JULY 15, 2020

too bad if true Xman was my favorite target for Hornets at 32
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,822

Post#526 » by Diop » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 am

Snidely FC wrote:
WORD IS THAT XAVIER TILLMAN WILL RETURN TO @MSU_BASKETBALL & PULL OUT OF @NBADRAFT & THAT WOULD BE GREAT NEWS FOR SPARTANS PLUS FOR XAVIER . HE CAN ELEVATE HIS STOCK FOR NEXT YEAR’S DRAFT PLUS GIVE MSU A SUPER CHANCE FOR A NATIONAL TITLE .

— DICK VITALE (@DICKIEV) JULY 15, 2020

too bad if true Xman was my favorite target for Hornets at 32

probably makes sense if he is currently looking at the second round
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,233

Post#527 » by amcoolio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:54 am

Wonderful that the NBA decided this bubble nonsense and the non-bubble teams have 7 months of absolute nothing - draft, games, free agency, lottery...nothing - to look forward to while the other 22 are set the rest of the year
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#528 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:56 pm

amcoolio wrote:Wonderful that the NBA decided this bubble nonsense and the non-bubble teams have 7 months of absolute nothing - draft, games, free agency, lottery...nothing - to look forward to while the other 22 are set the rest of the year

I'm also curious if there was any mention of how to "end" the season for the non-bubble teams. Of the 8 teams that we are lumped in with, we are technically 4 games out of the cellar in the EC....with 17 games remaining (pre-Covid). I never thought we would catch the Warriors for the worst record, but I did think we had a shot of getting into the top 3 or 4 spots overall.

Minnesota, Cleveland and Atlanta all made a move or two that added some young talent to improve their rosters.

Did the NBA mention any tinkering or implementing a system that could give these 8 teams the ability to improve/worsen their chances of moving up in draft order?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,233

Post#529 » by amcoolio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:30 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Wonderful that the NBA decided this bubble nonsense and the non-bubble teams have 7 months of absolute nothing - draft, games, free agency, lottery...nothing - to look forward to while the other 22 are set the rest of the year

I'm also curious if there was any mention of how to "end" the season for the non-bubble teams. Of the 8 teams that we are lumped in with, we are technically 4 games out of the cellar in the EC....with 17 games remaining (pre-Covid). I never thought we would catch the Warriors for the worst record, but I did think we had a shot of getting into the top 3 or 4 spots overall.

Minnesota, Cleveland and Atlanta all made a move or two that added some young talent to improve their rosters.

Did the NBA mention any tinkering or implementing a system that could give these 8 teams the ability to improve/worsen their chances of moving up in draft order?

Nope, we are locked in and that's how they want it. Watch one of the 22 invited teams jump us, its inevitable.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#530 » by driveandkick » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 am

Starting to do some research for this here draft. This is a list that is not in a definitive order of players I would be happy if the Hornets drafted:

-LaMelo Ball
-Killian Hayes
-Anthony Edwards
-Tyrese Haliburton
-Onyeka Okongwu
-James Wiseman
-Devin Vassell
-Deni Avdija
-Tyrese Maxey
-Cole Anthony

There are 10 players there. If we stay at 8 a minimum of three will still be on the board.

Obi Toppin is a good player I think, but I'm not sure about his fit here. Do not like Achiuwa.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#531 » by LofJ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 pm

I conducted a quick review of NBA team salaries for the next 5 years; after the Knicks the Hornets have the least amount of money committed. This is really important due to the financial situation covid-19 has put the league in.

Jordan could not have picked a better time to start a rebuild. If he's willing to provide salary relief to other teams (i.e. like the Ben Gordon trade) we should be able to bring in some decent draft assets. When you consider that the 2021 draft is stacked with talent and will be followed up by the double draft with Emoni Bates there is reason to be cautiously optimistic about the team's future.

Our largely uneventful offseasons for the past 4 years are about to have a payoff.
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#532 » by bravor » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:34 pm

I totally agree as long as this franchise really does a good tank, unlike last season epic fail in the middle of nowhere. I still hope lottery will be on this franchise's side to get into top4 which would guarantee a good trade asset at worst.

The ideal would be to collect more 1st picks till 2023 (you forgot Wembanyama who should be in 2023's draft, and i would even add Dieng for 'french' good prospects, at least if he rubs off the usuel lack of agressivity from our prospects next year in ncaa, and if he plays at his position, he is not a sf despite his size).

Imagine hiting Cunnigham and Hardy in 2021 and 2022, then Wembanyama in 2023. Size, defense, playmaking/court vision skills, and spectacular plays...
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#533 » by euphorbus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:57 pm

If draft picks really are for sale this year, it would be great to see the Hornets move up if Kupchak sees a prospect he really likes.
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#534 » by UNCNYC » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:12 pm

Welp Ayo Dosunmu and Isaiah Joe have both decided to return to school. So they are now out of my top 5. I have narrowed our 1st pick to the players below... As of now these are the ONLY players I am considering for or 1st pick. I really like Tyrell Terry a lot especially since Ayo and Joe have withdrawn. High chance I would take him number 1. Tre Mann has a small but outside shot of me selecting him number 1.

Killian Hayes

Tyrell Terry

Leandro Balmaro

Tre Mann
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#535 » by 316Hornets » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:49 pm

18 days until we find out where we will be picking.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#536 » by Snidely FC » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:31 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Welp Ayo Dosunmu and Isaiah Joe have both decided to return to school. So they are now out of my top 5. I have narrowed our 1st pick to the players below... As of now these are the ONLY players I am considering for or 1st pick. I really like Tyrell Terry a lot especially since Ayo and Joe have withdrawn. High chance I would take him number 1. Tre Mann has a small but outside shot of me selecting him number 1.

Spoiler:
Killian Hayes

Tyrell Terry

Leandro Balmaro

Tre Mann

good list but guard heavy - Balmaro the only one big enough to play combo forward - I wonder about a path to playing time for any young guards drafted this year unless Rozier and/or Monk are traded?
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#537 » by UNCNYC » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:18 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Welp Ayo Dosunmu and Isaiah Joe have both decided to return to school. So they are now out of my top 5. I have narrowed our 1st pick to the players below... As of now these are the ONLY players I am considering for or 1st pick. I really like Tyrell Terry a lot especially since Ayo and Joe have withdrawn. High chance I would take him number 1. Tre Mann has a small but outside shot of me selecting him number 1.

Spoiler:
Killian Hayes

Tyrell Terry

Leandro Balmaro

Tre Mann

good list but guard heavy - Balmaro the only one big enough to play combo forward - I wonder about a path to playing time for any young guards drafted this year unless Rozier and/or Monk are traded?

Yeah we have some promising young guards but the reason I chose 4 guards to pick from is because this draft imo is SF heavier than it is SG and so if I draft a SG now there should be one of

PICK 2 -
SF - Saddiq Bey
SF - Josh Green
SG - Leandro Balmoro
PF - JaDen McDaniels
C - Jalen Smith
SF - Elijah Huges
SF - Tyler Bey
SF - Malcolm Cazalon
PF - Trendon Watford
PF - Jordan Nwora
SF - CJ Elleby

left to choose from.... and Tyrell Terry and Tre Mann have that potential "it" factor... So I didn't want to pass them up. I can see Hayes, Terry or Tre Mann potentially becoming starish regrettable players not taken.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,168

Post#538 » by SWedd523 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:51 pm

Tyrell Terry and Tre Mann both pass the name test
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#539 » by UNCNYC » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:29 am

Not sure if I posted him yet or not but I do not know WHAT TO THINK OF HIM. Sometimes I look at his game and see all the potential and then sometimes I see sloppy play. His name is Abdoulaye N'Doye. He has good size at 6'7 and can play multiple positions. I think I am gonna put him in at a possibility for us at 32. As of now I like him a lot. He is my last sleeper. I think you guys will draw the same conclusion I do in that you see so much potential but something is missing. It wouldn't surprise me if this guy becomes a star. In fact I will go on a limb now and select him with our 32.

Pick 8 - Killian Hayes
Pick 32 - Abdoulaye N'Doye
Pick 56 - Trendon Watford

UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter
And1: 736

Post#540 » by bravor » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:38 am

Even though he is french and even though i like his profile (mostly a versatile defender), i think his game is mostly 'european'. I prefer him over Maledon (since he plays on both sides) but honneslty i dont think they are worth a good pick here.

He improved a lot in offense last year after years in pro but before, he was very passive or worst, he was not taking his responsabilities offensively during years (litterally). I doubt he would fit in the nba, even as a defensive role player.
He is also pretty old for a guard (he was developed as combo guard). Not saying he could not adapt, but he could be a wasted pick (just like Kulboka to me).

His main strength, his collective and individual defense, will translate much better in Europe imo. Unless the nba decides to let the games become more physical. Your fav' wing from Argentina (Bolmaro) would be a safer bet imo for a high second pick.

On a side note, Tillman has decided to remain in this draft. Really hope he will be available for Hornet's second pick
Btw if the story i read about teams selling 1st pick because of financial issues due to the Covid, do you guys think Jordan could jump on this ?
Some late 1st would be useful for flexibility purpose, especially if they dont want to 'pay' all the youngsters (Graham, Miles, Monk..).

Return to Charlotte Hornets