ImageImage

OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#721 » by KidA24 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:04 pm

Went out to the west side of Lapham Peak State Park last night to catch a glimpse of NEOWISE.

Super visible with just a pair of binoculars, and really cool. The first time I can say I've really seen a comet since Haley's in '86.

It was visible once stars started popping out and was about 2/3 of the way down to the horizon from almost directly below the bowl of the big dipper.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,088

Post#722 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I was an English major with programming and dev skills I picked up on the side over the course of a couple years. I got my first big job out of college because I went into my interview with my laptop and said to the two ladies, "Here's what I can do for your website" and showed them my version of it. I got the offer call before I even got home.

That was 14 years ago. Since then I've worked for two agencies and now a major company where I handle all their web dev, SEO and e-commerce. Never once have had a minute of formal training. I'm sure there's obvious value in a CS degree, and you would learn a lot. But there is an infinite number of free or incredibly cheap resources online that can have you developing cool **** in a matter of weeks.

step3profit wrote:IMO, you can break in to development fairly easily if you can just show you know your stuff, which is a journey you can begin on freecodecamp.org, with a Udemy class, etc.

If you live in the Midwest, don't want to start your own company, and want to get past mid-low level manager level, you'll likely need some kind of degree in Engineering or Business, depending on your focus.

If you are starting from scratch, then just spend 10 bucks on a Udemy full stack class focused on Node and React; or start on freecodecamp for free. If you can't push through most of that, spending $30k isn't going to make it an appealing career - just one you are stuck with to pay back the cash.

Thanks guys, this is helpful. Guess I'll start by looking into the free stuff and take it from there.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#723 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:35 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I was an English major with programming and dev skills I picked up on the side over the course of a couple years. I got my first big job out of college because I went into my interview with my laptop and said to the two ladies, "Here's what I can do for your website" and showed them my version of it. I got the offer call before I even got home.

That was 14 years ago. Since then I've worked for two agencies and now a major company where I handle all their web dev, SEO and e-commerce. Never once have had a minute of formal training. I'm sure there's obvious value in a CS degree, and you would learn a lot. But there is an infinite number of free or incredibly cheap resources online that can have you developing cool **** in a matter of weeks.

step3profit wrote:IMO, you can break in to development fairly easily if you can just show you know your stuff, which is a journey you can begin on freecodecamp.org, with a Udemy class, etc.

If you live in the Midwest, don't want to start your own company, and want to get past mid-low level manager level, you'll likely need some kind of degree in Engineering or Business, depending on your focus.

If you are starting from scratch, then just spend 10 bucks on a Udemy full stack class focused on Node and React; or start on freecodecamp for free. If you can't push through most of that, spending $30k isn't going to make it an appealing career - just one you are stuck with to pay back the cash.

Thanks guys, this is helpful. Guess I'll start by looking into the free stuff and take it from there.

I would defer to those who actually are in the field, but I would just add that there is a middle ground between "free" and "$30,000". I work with dev frequently, and we have people all over the educational spectrum on our teams (degrees, degrees in adjacent fields, degrees in completely unrelated fields, no degrees), but I believe a couple of them have used Coursera. It's more structured that Udemy, and they partner with some "real" universities and can offer certificates and degrees. Might be worth checking out. I think it's like $50-100/mo.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,013

Post#724 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pm

For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

Getting into the good liquor tonight and taking Monday off.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#725 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,718

Post#726 » by AussieBuck » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.

Reminds me of my cousin years ago who really wanted to be a pro footballer. Did an amazing offseason bulk and made a team but for some reason his temper grew just as impressively as his physique and he ended up being booted before he could become a star. :D

I'm sure this story isn't about a guy roided up to the gills tho.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
KidA24
General Manager

Post#727 » by KidA24 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#728 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 pm

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For over a month I've worked on getting some new tech for my use and my company's CEO is notorious for not spending a nickel. I've been told for a decade not to even bother asking. But I felt really strongly about this service and fought like a dog throughout meetings and conference calls for seven weeks. Today was the do or die date, and I got the old lady to sign off on giving me $54k for it.

and all I want to do is pour myself a goldrush and talk to friends.... and I'm stuck trying with a prod-is-broken fix it now thing that might cost me my weekend.

Ouch, brutal.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#729 » by chonestown » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:29 am

Box wine o'clock, the most magical hour there is.

Good isht, my dude.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#730 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:37 am

chonestown wrote:

Good isht, my dude.

Thanks! I'll never say a bad word about the Barefoot boxed.
KidA24
General Manager

Post#731 » by KidA24 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:16 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Ouch, brutal.

Well, I'm into the bourbon and on a call giving updates and the company is saying "Don't forget to sleep." So I got that going for me.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#732 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 am

KidA24 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
KidA24 wrote:

Ouch, brutal.

Well, I'm into the bourbon and on a call giving updates and the company is saying "Don't forget to sleep." So I got that going for me.

I opted for the Don Julio. Not regretting a thing.

Good luck this weekend.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,947

Post#733 » by BUCKnation » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Golf's Next Big Thing looks like, uh, just a big thing. Seriously, what the hell is with this dude.

He's always been a bit like this, but he gets more attention now
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#734 » by crkone » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Tried some single barrel Weller the other day. That was bonkers.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#735 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Do Jon Rahm and Jack Nicklaus not realize that standing like 2 feet apart and talking directly at each other without masks is like 30x worse than shaking hands (and afterward going to wash them)?

Oye.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#736 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Good isht, my dude.

I will. Buy a Bota Box!!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#737 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Even in the most **** up and surreal year of my life, that Kanye rally was a bit over the top.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#738 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
chonestown wrote:

Good isht, my dude.

I will. Buy a Bota Box!!

Seconded. Love the Bota Box.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#739 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I will. Buy a Bota Box!!

Seconded. Love the Bota Box.

I honestly goofed. Said barefoot, meant Bota. I like Red and their Pinot is just fine to me.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#740 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm

emunney wrote:Even in the most **** up and surreal year of my life, that Kanye rally was a bit over the top.

He's clearly going through what looks like a manic episode.

I wish his family would rein his ass in, but it seems that they only enable his foolishness.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks