ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread Vol. BAM Please Burst Through that Bubble

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread Vol. BAM Please Burst Through that Bubble 

Post#61 » by dean456 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:18 am

gom wrote:Pass on Wall, Cousins, and Gallo. Cooling on Beal & Dipo too. We need to be opportunistic, but it's easy to sabotage what we have by moving too soon when more becomes available later. Booker or Fox are interesting but I agree it's unlikely they shake out. Giannis & Anthony Davis is where we should aim if we hope to compete.

I don't think we need Wall, Cousins or Gallo. Washington's asking price will likely be too high to trade for Beal plus it messes up any plans we have for 2021.

Oladipo is more interesting because he is someone I can see demanding a trade and explicitly saying he's not signing an extension anywhere but Miami forcing them to either take what we offer or let him walk for nothing. If the asking price is any more than Nunn, Iggy and whoever we pick with our 2020 FRP then I'm not interested in making the trade.

I'd take a swing at AD this summer and if that falls through then I'm all in on Giannis 2021 until we see Giannis commit to Milwaukee. Then backup plan Oladipo and someone below the max to add next to him in 2021.
MadD23
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,437

Post#62 » by MadD23 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:05 am

dean456 wrote:
gom wrote:Pass on Wall, Cousins, and Gallo. Cooling on Beal & Dipo too. We need to be opportunistic, but it's easy to sabotage what we have by moving too soon when more becomes available later. Booker or Fox are interesting but I agree it's unlikely they shake out. Giannis & Anthony Davis is where we should aim if we hope to compete.

I don't think we need Wall, Cousins or Gallo. Washington's asking price will likely be too high to trade for Beal plus it messes up any plans we have for 2021.

Oladipo is more interesting because he is someone I can see demanding a trade and explicitly saying he's not signing an extension anywhere but Miami forcing them to either take what we offer or let him walk for nothing. If the asking price is any more than Nunn, Iggy and whoever we pick with our 2020 FRP then I'm not interested in making the trade.

I'd take a swing at AD this summer and if that falls through then I'm all in on Giannis 2021 until we see Giannis commit to Milwaukee. Then backup plan Oladipo and someone below the max to add next to him in 2021.

If we can land AD and trade for Dipo, that would be a slam dunk for us. Do we have the cap space to sign AD? I would rather go with that, then waiting and gambling big time for just one player that has shown cero indication that he is leaving the Bucks or that he would consider the Heat as his go to team. AD fits much better with Bam and Butler anyways.

Dipo / Vincent
Robinson / Herro
Butler / Crowder
AD / KZ
Bam / KO

I could roll with that
dean456
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by dean456 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:02 am

MadD23 wrote:
dean456 wrote:

If we can land AD and trade for Dipo, that would be a slam dunk for us. Do we have the cap space to sign AD? I would rather go with that, then waiting and gambling big time for just one player that has shown cero indication that he is leaving the Bucks or that he would consider the Heat as his go to team. AD fits much better with Bam and Butler anyways.

Dipo / Vincent
Robinson / Herro
Butler / Crowder
AD / KZ
Bam / KO

I could roll with that

If Olynyk opts out of his Player Option and we renounce Dragic, Crowder, Leonard, Olynyk and Hill then we have about 39.9mil cap space. We can then sign AD for a 35.1mil max then trade Nunn, Iggy and our 2020 FRP for Oladipo and re-sign DJJr over the cap.

Oladipo/Vincent
Butler/Herro
Robinson?DJJr
AD/Okpala
Bam/Silva

This would be a great for us. My only concern with doing this a year before Giannis' FA it might push him to go to the Warriors or something stupid.
dean456
Assistant Coach

Post#64 » by dean456 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm curious about what others think about who's a better fit with our team between AD and Giannis? Is it close in anyone's mind?

Its really difficult for me to choose. I like both of them for a bunch of different reasons.

I think AD plays better with Butler and I think Giannis plays better with Bam.
AD would be more complimentary and Giannis would be more of a go to alpha player on the team.
AD would be a better defensive anchor and Giannis would be a better team defender and make us more versatile defensively man to man.
I think Giannis would play better with our shooters in Robinson and Herro as well.

Overall I feel like a lot of it depends on what Bam eventually develops into. I think both would make us contenders but Giannis would increase our chances to win multiple championships more than AD would.

What you guys think?
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,120

Post#65 » by twix2500 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:01 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:
MadD23 wrote:Thinking a more realistic scenario to improve our roster and be ready to compete in 2020, I would try to get that trade done for Dipo and bring in Gallo.

Dipo / Dragic
Duncan / Herro
Butler / Crowder or Iggy
Gallo / DJJ or KZ
Adebayo / Leonard or KO

That team can cause some damage in 2020. 4 of those players in the starting lineup can average around 20pts per game and the other one is a spacing assassin that can average around 15pts per game. Then you have a killer second unit that makes your team deadly for 48 minutes. That would be an exciting team to watch. Then we worry about Giannis in 2021 if we have a shot at getting him.

Dipo is signed through next season tho and the idea of giving up assets for him is pretty risky given all his uncertainty

Gallo is nice but he'd make life even harder defensively for Bam. Plus Gallo hasn't hit the 70 games played mark since 2013, in fact you're lucky if he gets you 60. He's played an average of 50 gms/yr coming into this season (even if you remove 2014 when he missed the entire season, it's still an avg of 55 games over 10 seasons). If we could get him on a one-year tryout for 2020-21 that'd be great but I'd expect him to be looking for something longer at age 32

If we could get both without surrendering assets, and they both stay healthy, I agree that team could contend next season. But I just don't know how that happens
I think we are going to lose players anyways either via trade or free agency.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,601

Post#66 » by DayofMourning » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:07 pm

dean456 wrote:I'm curious about what others think about who's a better fit with our team between AD and Giannis? Is it close in anyone's mind?

Its really difficult for me to choose. I like both of them for a bunch of different reasons.

AD would be more complimentary and Giannis would be more of a go to alpha player on the team.
AD would be a better defensive anchor and Giannis would be a better team defender and make us more versatile defensively man to man.
I think Giannis would play better with our shooters in Robinson and Herro as well.

Overall I feel like a lot of it depends on what Bam eventually develops into. I think both would make us contenders but Giannis would increase our chances to win multiple championships more than AD would.

What you guys think?

I agree with most of your points.

AD is the better fit. Better shooter. Better secondary scorer. Great lob target. He's a guy who can play off of others better. He wouldn't take the ball out of Butler's and Bam's hands like Giannis would.

Giannis is more like a runaway train. Super high usage (currently 7th all time for a single season :o ), just explodes at you on offense, and he's so gifted athetically that you can't stop him. He's a better overall defender, but I don't think it's by that much.

You could slot in AD tomorrow and we'd roll. Giannis would take some remodeling of our offense to integrate.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#67 » by Hallstar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:11 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
dean456 wrote:I'm curious about what others think about who's a better fit with our team between AD and Giannis? Is it close in anyone's mind?

What you guys think?

AD is the better fit. Better shooter. Better secondary scorer. Great lob target. He's a guy who can play off of others better. He wouldn't take the ball out of Butler's and Bam's hands like Giannis would.

Giannis is more like a runaway train. Super high usage (currently 7th all time for a single season :o ), just explodes at you on offense, and he's so gifted athetically that you can't stop him. He's a better overall defender, but I don't think it's by that much.

You could slot in AD tomorrow and we'd roll. Giannis would take some remodeling of our offense to integrate.

I would go with Gianni's. I still don't trust us vs long wing players on defense and he instantly solves that issue while becoming our best offensive player. Taking the ball out of Bam and Butler don't matter much, they're not elite playmakers, and can still do what they do to a certain extent.
dean456
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by dean456 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:00 pm

Hallstar wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

What you guys think?

You could slot in AD tomorrow and we'd roll. Giannis would take some remodelling of our offense to integrate.

I would go with Gianni's. I still don't trust us vs long wing players on defense and he instantly solves that issue while becoming our best offensive player. Taking the ball out of Bam and Butler don't matter much, they're not elite playmakers, and can still do what they do to a certain extent.

I agree with both what you and Mourning are saying.

I guess my thinking is can we win it all with Butler as our go to guy if AD is the secondary? I'm not sure if Butler or AD can be the primary guy on a winning team. If we recruit Giannis and AD stays West then all we'd need to worry about in the East would be KD and Kyrie in Brooklyn. Toronto might put something together, Philly and Boston will still be good but I think Boston likely lose Hayward this summer unless they planning to go into the luxury tax.

I think AD stays West if we don't get him and if we don't get Giannis he'll stay East so I think we'd be better off having Giannis than having AD and have to go through Giannis, Embiid/Simmons and KD/Kyrie to face whatever West team we have waiting.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,750

Post#69 » by greg4012 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:04 pm

The answer to better fit between Giannis and AD is easily AD IMO

Giannis and Bam are actually a bit of a tricky fit together offensively (even moreso when you throw Jimmy in there too)
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,750

Post#70 » by QUIZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm

The Laker's have the same point differential as the Detroit Pistons when AD plays without LeBron so this is a no brainier for me. Giannis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He's the best player on the 5th best team of all time. Whatever his limitations at least his impact on winning is real.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by DayofMourning » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:33 pm

QUIZ wrote:The Laker's have the same point differential as the Detroit Pistons when AD plays without LeBron so this is a no brainier for me. Giannis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He's the best player on the 5th best team of all time. Whatever his limitations at least his impact on winning is real.

He's been surrounded by players that fit him very well. He's a monster no doubt, but you can't just throw him in any situation and expect the best results.

You take either without a 2nd thought regardless.
MadD23
Pro Prospect

Post#72 » by MadD23 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:15 pm

dean456 wrote:
MadD23 wrote:
dean456 wrote:

Dipo / Vincent
Robinson / Herro
Butler / Crowder
AD / KZ
Bam / KO

I could roll with that

If Olynyk opts out of his Player Option and we renounce Dragic, Crowder, Leonard, Olynyk and Hill then we have about 39.9mil cap space. We can then sign AD for a 35.1mil max then trade Nunn, Iggy and our 2020 FRP for Oladipo and re-sign DJJr over the cap.

Oladipo/Vincent
Butler/Herro
Robinson?DJJr
AD/Okpala
Bam/Silva

This would be a great for us. My only concern with doing this a year before Giannis' FA it might push him to go to the Warriors or something stupid.

Considering that with AD and Dipo we'll be on win now mode, I would rather keep Crowder and let DJJ go. With Okpala, we'll have a more talented DJJ with a much higher ceiling IMO.
dean456
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by dean456 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:51 pm

MadD23 wrote:
dean456 wrote:
MadD23 wrote:

Dipo / Vincent
Robinson / Herro
Butler / Crowder
AD / KZ
Bam / KO

I could roll with that

Oladipo/Vincent
Butler/Herro
Robinson?DJJr
AD/Okpala
Bam/Silva

Considering that with AD and Dipo we'll be on win now mode, I would rather keep Crowder and let DJJ go. With Okpala, we'll have a more talented DJJ with a much higher ceiling IMO.

That won't be possible unfortunately, we can't free up the cap room needed to sign someone like AD if we retain Crowder. That's unless Crowder was willing to take a starting contract of $5,828,986 then we could just afford a AD max salary of $35,100,000. But I think we are better off trying to retain Dragic or spend that money on a bigman and keeping DJJr, rather than just keeping Crowder.

The reason for this is that retaining Crowder comes with a 14mil cap hold, where DJJr only has a 1.7mil cap hold.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,750

Post#74 » by Wiltside » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:23 am

I mean, it's like picking between curry and pizza for me - it's a win win situation.

AD would technically 'fit' better, given his shooting range. Both would be absolute menaces on the defensive end paired with Bam and Butler. I'd still take Giannis though - he's just a monster, plus he's slightly younger than AD by a year or two, and my memory says Giannis isn't as injury prone as AD is.

We could quite easily put together complimentary pieces around Giannis too, just as well as the Bucks have. Hell, add Oladipo to the mix for Nunn/Iggy/FRP and we have:

Oladipo >= Bledsoe
Butler >> Middleton
Bam >>>> Lopez

We'd then have either Meyers or KO as the stretch big to pair with him at times, plus Robinson and Herro as other elite shooters too. Add in Crowder and other ring chasing vets and we're gravy.

Honestly, Giannis would be amazing here and I hope he realises that. Doesn't hurt that Bam has become a beast, and they share an agent.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
MadD23
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by MadD23 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:59 am

dean456 wrote:
MadD23 wrote:
dean456 wrote:

Oladipo/Vincent
Butler/Herro
Robinson?DJJr
AD/Okpala
Bam/Silva

That won't be possible unfortunately, we can't free up the cap room needed to sign someone like AD if we retain Crowder. That's unless Crowder was willing to take a starting contract of $5,828,986 then we could just afford a AD max salary of $35,100,000. But I think we are better off trying to retain Dragic or spend that money on a bigman and keeping DJJr, rather than just keeping Crowder.

The reason for this is that retaining Crowder comes with a 14mil cap hold, where DJJr only has a 1.7mil cap hold.

I stand corrected. If the numbers don't work, DJJ it is.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#76 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 am

Between Giannis or AD I'd take Giannis and not even hesitate for a millisecond. Giannis is just a different tier of player to me, plus he's younger and more durable. Giannis also has a clear path for improvement (insane to think about given he'll likely be b2b MVP), whereas AD essentially is who he is at this point, and who AD is = an ideal offball #2 next to a superstar onball creation guy like LeBron but not a #1 "alpha" who elevates his teammates at an elite level

Not worried about a Giannis fit either

C - Bam
F - Giannis
F - Robinson
G - Herro
G - Butler

That team is contending for titles even after Butler's prime
dean456
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by dean456 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:35 am

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Between Giannis or AD I'd take Giannis and not even hesitate for a millisecond. Giannis is just a different tier of player to me, plus he's younger and more durable. Giannis also has a clear path for improvement (insane to think about given he'll likely be b2b MVP), whereas AD essentially is who he is at this point, and who AD is = an ideal offball #2 next to a superstar onball creation guy like LeBron but not a #1 "alpha" who elevates his teammates at an elite level

Not worried about a Giannis fit either

C - Bam
F - Giannis
F - Robinson
G - Herro
G - Butler

That team is contending for titles even after Butler's prime

I tend to agree with this assessment the length, athleticism and hustle of a Bam/Giannis front court would be crazy defensively, especially with Jimmy controlling the point of attack. Plus I think we need someone who's an alpha type to compete with the likes of Lebron, KD, Kawhi and Embiids of the league. Giannis' growth as a player the past three seasons has been pretty insane.

He's increased his Points by +2.7ppg
He's increased his Assists by +1apg
He's increased his Rebounding by + 3.7rpg
He's increased his Free throw Att by +1.5ftapg
He's Increased his 3pt Att by +3pg
His FG% has stayed steady at around a solid 55% despite the increased outside shooting.

But most impressively he's done this all while decreasing his minutes by -5.8mpg
goodboys lats
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,282

Post#78 » by goodboys lats » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:48 am

Is it safe to flex around here nowadays?
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by DayofMourning » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Wiltside wrote:I mean, it's like picking between curry and pizza for me - it's a win win situation.

AD would technically 'fit' better, given his shooting range. Both would be absolute menaces on the defensive end paired with Bam and Butler. I'd still take Giannis though - he's just a monster, plus he's slightly younger than AD by a year or two, and my memory says Giannis isn't as injury prone as AD is.

We could quite easily put together complimentary pieces around Giannis too, just as well as the Bucks have. Hell, add Oladipo to the mix for Nunn/Iggy/FRP and we have:

Oladipo >= Bledsoe
Butler >> Middleton
Bam >>>> Lopez

We'd then have either Meyers or KO as the stretch big to pair with him at times, plus Robinson and Herro as other elite shooters too. Add in Crowder and other ring chasing vets and we're gravy.

Honestly, Giannis would be amazing here and I hope he realises that. Doesn't hurt that Bam has become a beast, and they share an agent.

I don't think you can look at those player comparisons in overall player value. You have to take into account their skillset as well.

Butler was a top ten player this season. Middleton was fairly close to that. However, you have to take into account their roles. Middleton played primarily off the ball, while Butler played more of the primary ballhandler role. Khris was also an exponentially better long range shooter, and dish target for Giannis. He shot 42% on 7 threes a game per 36 minutes. He is a perfect match for Giannis, and two years younger than Butler.

Bam is indeed a better player than Lopez. He's also 10 years older. However, his shooting ability is, once again, complementary to Giannis' game. You take Bam every day of the week though. So, not the greatest comparison.

I think the biggest question would be how well Butler plays off the ball. He'd really have to increase his percentages. His shot was off this year.

He'll also be 32 and exiting his premium years as soon as Giannis gets here. Dipo will be 29. I've never been a fan of Victor's offensive game. It's marginal at best. However, he's pretty darn solid as a defender. I'd rather we focus on a younger guy to target more so than a guy who's a BIG question mark. He feels like a definitive lock to come here though. I read that he has a home here, a local business, and some mutual love from the org. I'd happily take a healthy version of him over Nunn since he's a two way player, but that price tag....sheesh.

I'm rambling a bit. Here's a thought, could we somehow manage to get AD AND Giannis? Money was tight before, but we could offer similar money to the insane state tax of California for Davis this offseason, with the promise of Giannis to come?

Bam
Davis
Butler
Robinson
Giannis

I haven't looked at salaries, and cap tables recently. Somebody's got to shoot that fantasy down for me.
MartyCONLONNN
Analyst
And1: 2,315

Post#80 » by MartyCONLONNN » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:12 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
I don't think you can look at those player comparisons in overall player value. You have to take into account their skillset as well.

Butler was a top ten player this season. Middleton was fairly close to that. However, you have to take into account their roles. Middleton played primarily off the ball, while Butler played more of the primary ballhandler role. Khris was also an exponentially better long range shooter, and dish target for Giannis. He shot 42% on 7 threes a game per 36 minutes. He is a perfect match for Giannis, and two years younger than Butler.

Bam is indeed a better player than Lopez. He's also 10 years older. However, his shooting ability is, once again, complementary to Giannis' game. You take Bam every day of the week though. So, not the greatest comparison.

I think the biggest question would be how well Butler plays off the ball. He'd really have to increase his percentages. His shot was off this year.

He'll also be 32 and exiting his premium years as soon as Giannis gets here. Dipo will be 29. I've never been a fan of Victor's offensive game. It's marginal at best. However, he's pretty darn solid as a defender. I'd rather we focus on a younger guy to target more so than a guy who's a BIG question mark. He feels like a definitive lock to come here though. I read that he has a home here, a local business, and some mutual love from the org. I'd happily take a healthy version of him over Nunn since he's a two way player, but that price tag....sheesh.

I'm rambling a bit. Here's a thought, could we somehow manage to get AD AND Giannis? Money was tight before, but we could offer similar money to the insane state tax of California for Davis this offseason, with the promise of Giannis to come?

Bam
Davis
Butler
Robinson
Giannis

I haven't looked at salaries, and cap tables recently. Somebody's got to shoot that fantasy down for me.

Giannis plays center for the Bucks at times and they run some pretty elite lineups that way. Same with Davis. I think Bam becomes absolutely overkill in this scenario, having 2 7 footers that can switch up on anything already. You would have to move Bam in that scenario for a more complimentary fit at the wing.

We don't really know the cap situation (yet) so technically the AD+Giannis idea would be as viable as DIpo+Giannis since they are all max players. BUT IMO on top of the fact that it may be financially impossible to do either of those options, I personally don't see why AD would come here when he's on a top team with a top 2 player in the same agency who's also a very close friend. Even if they lose in year 1, they are building a Klutch powerhouse over there.

Return to Miami Heat