Cavaliers Don't Regret Kevin Love Extension, Won't Salary Dump Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Cavaliers Don't Regret Kevin Love Extension, Won't Salary Dump Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:28 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers "don't regret" signing Kevin Love to his extension during the 2019 offseason and "all not do a salary dump" of him, according to Chris Fedor of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Love signed a four-year, $120 million extension shortly after LeBron James left the franchise to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Cavaliers seek "some combination of draft picks and young, ascending players for Love" if they are to trade him. The Cavaliers would likely need to take back a bad salary in return for Love to get that type of package.

"It’s clear Cleveland’s view on Love doesn’t align with the rest of the league. That’s normal. The Cavs like him," writes Fedor.

With the Cavaliers attempting to accelerate their rebuild, they're unlikely to trade Love unless they get an offer they perceive as helping them in both the short and long-term.

Via Chris Fedor/Cleveland Plain Dealer

nmc13
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Cavaliers Don't Regret Kevin Love Extension, Won't Salary Dump Him 

Post#2 » by nmc13 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:09 pm

lmao ya ok...
nmc13
Ballboy

Post#3 » by nmc13 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Dan Gilbert goes to bed every night praying that one of his analytics nerds builds a time machine to prevent him from offering that contract
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#4 » by King4Day » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 pm

I actually believe this. I think he knows fans grow attached to players and to lose James, Irving, and Love just like that means fans will dwindle. You need to give fans a reason to go to games and for many (kids especially) Kevin Love is a reason. They won't be going seriously over the cap again for a long time while they develop players so it's probably worth it for them.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Carmen C
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Carmen C » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 pm

I mean this is just preposterous
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#6 » by jlokine » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:35 pm

nmc13 wrote:Dan Gilbert goes to bed every night praying that one of his analytics nerds builds a time machine to prevent him from offering that contract

or he just prays for another amnesty availability with a new cba negotiation given the new economic situation with china and covid.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 pm

I agree with the premise but the Cavs should have given him either 1 year less extension of the ACV under $25 million to at least protect themselves from his skills starting to erode in his early 30s.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Of course they regret it, they’re just not going to say something like that.

They regretted it he moment they realized that the extension gave Love negative trade value when their goal was the to increase his value.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#9 » by NatiboyB » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:14 pm

I regret the deal he isn’t even providing quality veteran leadership. I know that we don’t want to hurt his limited trade value but resigning him was a mistake. We are stuck with him outside of a salary dump. And I’m currently not seeing any food fits.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,830

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 pm

Cavaliers remind me of a guy I know at work who, every once in a while out of the blue, mentions to me in any conversation that he doesn't regret buying the $30,000 timeshare he and his wife bought 9 years ago.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#11 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:37 am

NatiboyB wrote:I regret the deal he isn’t even providing quality veteran leadership. I know that we don’t want to hurt his limited trade value but resigning him was a mistake. We are stuck with him outside of a salary dump. And I’m currently not seeing any food fits.

You would be losing anyway and no free agents are coming to the cavs and by the time you have to pay any rookies a max if you draft one worth it he will be off the books... Dont really see any real problems.. Things are poorly run at the cavs as K Love was a complete professional during the LBJ era..
Sutureself
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#12 » by Sutureself » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:33 am

Headline: "Cavaliers Aren't Mad, They're Laughing, Actually"
nmc13
Ballboy

Post#13 » by nmc13 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:37 am

jlokine wrote:
nmc13 wrote:Dan Gilbert goes to bed every night praying that one of his analytics nerds builds a time machine to prevent him from offering that contract

or he just prays for another amnesty availability with a new cba negotiation given the new economic situation with china and covid.

I really hope you're right. Would be great to see Kevin Love on a winning team rather than wasting away in Cleveland...he's getting out of there no time soon under normal circumstances

Return to Wiretap Discussion