What players have the ability to become an all-star type talent the first two years in the league?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

What players have the ability to become an all-star type talent the first two years in the league? 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 pm

Without considering draft position, who do you think based on the ability to translate with having better shooters around and a good amount of opportunity to play (usually with one translatable skill ie defending with size, shooting 3s, rim running, etc) will have the ability to become an all-star type talent the first two years in the league? Why?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Re: What players have the ability to become an all-star type talent the first two years in the league? 

Post#2 » by TB » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 pm

My vote would be Obi Toppin if he goes to NY or Chicago. Mostly because he'd put up numbers, get exposure, and might be able to be hidden on defense. The other players in this draft that play like number 1 options I just don't see being efficient enough to help a team first couple years (ball, edwards).

2nd pick would be Wiseman, rolling the dice that he reaches his potential on a good team like Warriors.

I'm taking this literal though, as in making all star teams. I still think the best players from this draft will be elite role players like Okongwu/Okoro/Williams/Pokusevski and not the guys like Obi/Ball/Edwards who will put up numbers but likely not impact the game in a positive way... even if they do have a better chance at all star teams.

edit- i should note that i dont think anyone will actually do this, just that Obi would be my vote if i had to pick someone lol
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Re: What players have the ability to become an all-star type talent the first two years in the league? 

Post#3 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:08 am

All Star within 2 years? That's a tall order for a rookie. Ingram just made his first ASG as a 4th-year player. Mitchell, Tatum and Bam are 3rd year. Doncic and Trae are 2nd year.

Obi Toppin--offensively, he could be similar to KAT.
Anthony Edwards--could be like Oladipo
James Wiseman--Deandre Jordan was an All Star, I think.
Deni Avdija--unlikely, but if he's like Gallinari, then maybe
Patrick Williams--see Butler, James.
Aleksej Pokusevski if he stays overseas another year to develop there before coming to the league--he's like Keith Van Horn with more handle.
Isaac Okoro could be close if everything goes right--he's like Iguodala on defense and Corey Maggette on offense.

Puncher's chance for guys like Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey and Tyrell Terry, but it's hard to make it as a guard. There are guys ahead of them in line, like Coby White and De'Aaron Fox.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#4 » by getrichordie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:17 am

Toppin/Robinson is an interesting front court pairing on paper. Robinson could, in theory, cover a lot of Toppin's weaknesses. And Toppin could help both accentuate Robinson's offensive strengths and make up for his offensive weaknesses.

In order of odds to make an All-Star team in first 2 years in league:

1. Obi Toppin
2. James Wiseman
3. Grant Riller
4. Killian Hayes
5. Cole Anthony
[twitter] @thunderdustin
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#5 » by nolang1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:25 am

Trae Young was an all-star for social media-related reasons this year, so I guess LaMelo in New York or some big market could get voted in a starter too if he’s getting enough triple doubles or whatever early on. Other than that, the most recent first or second year players to make an all-star team have been Luka, AD, and Dame, and I don’t think anyone from this class is near that level. Maybe in the best Wiseman scenario he’s sneaking in in the East averaging like 18,11, and 2 blocks year 2, but other than that I don’t see it happening.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:14 am

I don’t mean all-star specifically, but all-star types. Even though a guy like Donovan Mitchell wasn’t an all-star until his 3rd year, we knew he would eventually be one by his second. It’s like how we all know Ja Morant will eventually be one.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,261

Post#7 » by Mr Peanut » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 am

Probably none in all honesty. But it's difficult to say at this stage as it very much depends on what situation a certain player finds himself drafted into.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#8 » by Nazrmohamed » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:50 pm

TB wrote:My vote would be Obi Toppin if he goes to NY or Chicago. Mostly because he'd put up numbers, get exposure, and might be able to be hidden on defense. The other players in this draft that play like number 1 options I just don't see being efficient enough to help a team first couple years (ball, edwards).

2nd pick would be Wiseman, rolling the dice that he reaches his potential on a good team like Warriors.

I'm taking this literal though, as in making all star teams. I still think the best players from this draft will be elite role players like Okongwu/Okoro/Williams/Pokusevski and not the guys like Obi/Ball/Edwards who will put up numbers but likely not impact the game in a positive way... even if they do have a better chance at all star teams.

edit- i should note that i dont think anyone will actually do this, just that Obi would be my vote if i had to pick someone lol

Hard to say Toppin in NY until Randle gets traded but I'm assuming the Knicks would make quick work of it. Theres also alot of uncertainty with who we plan on hiring for coach and if its Thibs hes as good as doghoused with that defense.

I gotta say that I dont see anybody who could be an allstar. As for rookie of the year it'll be a couple guys battling at about 18pts game and maybe that one upperclassmen who can shoot. Maybe Nesmith could look good early.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Usually heavily governed by the team that picks somebody imo,
there are players in the NBA who play like all stars and never get in.
I'd say if I had to bet on who might get the fake star invite aka fan fav vote by year 2 it's
gotta be Edwards or Ball.
as far as who could get a legit coaches voted spot in their first 2 seasons , I don't see it for any one of the prospects in this draft at all
unless a lot of current all star players have SARS-CoV-2 infection.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,181

Post#10 » by EvanZ » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 pm

None
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 am

hard to say, maybe we can get a better read after the draft when we know where players will land, a lot of players this draft in particular it really does depend on which situations they go into
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:26 am

I'll just expand it to "during their rookie contact." Someone from the draft is going to do it, but predicting it is really hard. This draft is incredibly weak up top, but appears (imo) to actually be pretty deep with potential rotation players. I'll take some shots, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flamed out.

1. Anthony Edwards
Scenario: his shooting comes together, his decision making improves, and his finishing at the rim becomes more valuable/efficient with NBA spacing.

2. Isaac Okoro
Scenario: he flashes more offensive capabilities than we saw at Auburn, mainly, his spot up shooting improves dramatically and his driving/slashing/playmaking become more valuable with space.

3. LaMelo Ball
Similar story. His shooting improves, his defense is non-atrocious, and his playmaking translates.

4. James Wiseman
His physical dominance continues to the NBA level, he has a high motor, better basketball IQ than say - a Hassan Whiteside - and maybe even develops a reliable three point shot.

Non-zero chance: Obi Toppin (is more Amare than we think, perhaps improves his lateral movement with NBA caliber training), Killian Hayes (his package of stepbacks, passing, etc. all translate and his efficiency improves), Onyeka Okongwu (if he's Bam 2.0), RJ Hampton (his basketball skills catch up with his physical package), Grant Riller (he follows CJ McCollum's trajectory as an explosive mid-major scorer)

Again, I think someone does it. I'd probably bet it was one of these guys, but if it's someone else...would not be surprised.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#13 » by LivingLegend » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:08 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I'll just expand it to "during their rookie contact." Someone from the draft is going to do it, but predicting it is really hard. This draft is incredibly weak up top, but appears (imo) to actually be pretty deep with potential rotation players. I'll take some shots, but I wouldn't be surprised if they flamed out.

1. Anthony Edwards
Scenario: his shooting comes together, his decision making improves, and his finishing at the rim becomes more valuable/efficient with NBA spacing.

2. Isaac Okoro
Scenario: he flashes more offensive capabilities than we saw at Auburn, mainly, his spot up shooting improves dramatically and his driving/slashing/playmaking become more valuable with space.

3. LaMelo Ball
Similar story. His shooting improves, his defense is non-atrocious, and his playmaking translates.

4. James Wiseman
His physical dominance continues to the NBA level, he has a high motor, better basketball IQ than say - a Hassan Whiteside - and maybe even develops a reliable three point shot.

Non-zero chance: Obi Toppin (is more Amare than we think, perhaps improves his lateral movement with NBA caliber training), Killian Hayes (his package of stepbacks, passing, etc. all translate and his efficiency improves), Onyeka Okongwu (if he's Bam 2.0), RJ Hampton (his basketball skills catch up with his physical package), Grant Riller (he follows CJ McCollum's trajectory as an explosive mid-major scorer)

Again, I think someone does it. I'd probably bet it was one of these guys, but if it's someone else...would not be surprised.

Edwards scares the crap out of me. His whole package reminds me a lot of Dion Waiters. Streaky/Inconsistent SG that loves to get his shots along with a very low BBIQ, poor shot selection and situational awareness..

He could be great, but I personally dont put the chances at more than 20%
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Zero for me. Every single player would shock me if they are an all star or are even in all star conversation in the first two years of their career. A lot of the top guys weren't even great players at the college/international level. Don't see how they become NBA all stars quickly.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#15 » by gswhoops » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:48 pm

Anthony Edwards is the obvious answer for me. He has all the physical tools, if he gets the right coaching and system he could be a top 5-10 SG and in the AS discussion before his rookie deal is up.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:22 am

gswhoops wrote:Anthony Edwards is the obvious answer for me. He has all the physical tools, if he gets the right coaching and system he could be a top 5-10 SG and in the AS discussion before his rookie deal is up.

I don't see him being near all-star within first 2 seasons in the league, though. I think he will struggle to figure out the game the first year and be better the next season, but will struggle with playmaking.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#17 » by EMG518 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 am

Wiseman for me. I think he will be 20+ and 10+ guy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:18 pm

getrichordie wrote:Toppin/Robinson is an interesting front court pairing on paper. Robinson could, in theory, cover a lot of Toppin's weaknesses. And Toppin could help both accentuate Robinson's offensive strengths and make up for his offensive weaknesses.

In order of odds to make an All-Star team in first 2 years in league:

1. Obi Toppin
2. James Wiseman
3. Grant Riller
4. Killian Hayes
5. Cole Anthony

I have Riller as a future 6thMOY - ala Lou Williams.

But it's smart to pick older players for this thread. Even so, Hayes is so mature, I like that pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#19 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:05 pm

I should add that Ramsey and Edwards should be honorable mentions. If Ramsey's pull-up shooting translates to the NBA, and he gets the green light, watch out. I think if Edwards can get with the right developmental staff, he can get there too -- I'm just worried about him adjusting to playing off-ball.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:10 pm

getrichordie wrote:I should add that Ramsey and Edwards should be honorable mentions. If Ramsey's pull-up shooting translates to the NBA, and he gets the green light, watch out. I think if Edwards can get with the right developmental staff, he can get there too -- I'm just worried about him adjusting to playing off-ball.

yeah I would not draft Edwards before 7-10 range unless I fully intended to put the ball in his hands even if I had every intention of making him earn the right to have the usage it would require for him to be worth that high of a pick.
If the plan going in is to make him an off guard instead of a 3 I have my concerns unless he goes to a team with a selfless lead guard or a high iq passing big. Of course odds are even greater where he goes won't have many players established at those positions yet so the ball should be in his hands regardless of who he defends or what position they work him in at as a rook defensively.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft