Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady Announce Plans To Start Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady Announce Plans To Start Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal are opening a player representation agency this fall called Seven1 Sports Group and Entertainment.

McGrady and O'Neal, who are both 41 and live in Texas, believe they can offer young players wisdom from their experience in the NBA.

“We think it’s needed, and we have a passion for it,” McGrady said. “We’re around kids every single day because we have youth programs. It just makes sense. We see the lack of information that these kids are getting, so we would be doing a disservice to our people if we don’t lend our expertise of what we know and help guide them. This is a calling that we have.”

O’Neal intends to take the National Basketball Players Association test in January to become a registered NBA agent and hold partner status alongside McGrady. McGrady will likely step away from his broadcasting role with ESPN.

“Make no mistake,” O’Neal said, “this is very personal.”

O'Neal has built relationships with several top draft prospects at his Drive Nation sports complex in Irving, Texas. R.J. Hampton, Tyrese Maxey and Jahmi’us Ramsey came through Drive Nation, as did Cade Cunningham.

“There’s no magic wand for this,” O’Neal said. “We’re not trying to say we’re the magic wand. But we’re going to be different. You can’t name another pair of people who have had the level of success and the ups and downs that we’ve had in our careers.”

Via Marc Stein/New York Times

ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,620

Re: Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGrady Announce Plans To Start Agency 

Post#2 » by ishoy123 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 pm

I thought there were rules that you had to have a university degree to be an agent.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by jlokine » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm

ishoy123 wrote:I thought there were rules that you had to have a university degree to be an agent.

i dont think so, it's one of those preferred things.. being an agent is all about networking and being a strong communicator anyway. neither of which are skillsets you can learn from a textbook or in a classroom.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#4 » by Cassius » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 pm

jlokine wrote:
ishoy123 wrote:I thought there were rules that you had to have a university degree to be an agent.

i dont think so, it's one of those preferred things.. being an agent is all about networking and being a strong communicator anyway. neither of which are skillsets you can learn from a textbook or in a classroom.

He's half right. The NCAA passed "The Rich Paul" rule to stop non-graduates from representing draft candidates, but that obviously goes away once the player is drafted. All they'll need to do is hire a few university-educated agents to be student-facing while their clients are amateurs.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
TheSeeker
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#5 » by TheSeeker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Cassius wrote:
jlokine wrote:

He's half right. The NCAA passed "The Rich Paul" rule to stop non-graduates from representing draft candidates, but that obviously goes away once the player is drafted. All they'll need to do is hire a few university-educated agents to be student-facing while their clients are amateurs.

Funny, you're half-right too. The NCAA reversed the "Rich Paul" rule, so the degree requirement no longer exists.

Although if I was a talented prospect, and I wanted a former player agent, I'd still want a highly educated former player agent. I'd ask to see a history of their K negotiations from when they played and financial decisions before I put them in a position to make decisions for me and pay them 4-20% of my player and endorsement income.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#6 » by Deadpool Raptor » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:49 pm

jlokine wrote:

I think you've watched too many movies and TV shows... being a good agent is about experience and attention to detail. Signing clients is about networking and being a strong communicator. Once you sign a client you will get wheeled by other agents day after day with your "strong communications".
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#7 » by jlokine » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:13 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:
jlokine wrote:

I think you've watched too many movies and TV shows... being a good agent is about experience and attention to detail. Signing clients is about networking and being a strong communicator. Once you sign a client you will get wheeled by other agents day after day with your "strong communications".

what does that have anything to do with how much movies and TV show i watch? These qualities you listed are not things you can learn in a classroom either which is pretty much my point.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Post#8 » by Cassius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:44 am

TheSeeker wrote:
Cassius wrote:
jlokine wrote:

Funny, you're half-right too. The NCAA reversed the "Rich Paul" rule, so the degree requirement no longer exists.

Although if I was a talented prospect, and I wanted a former player agent, I'd still want a highly educated former player agent. I'd ask to see a history of their K negotiations from when they played and financial decisions before I put them in a position to make decisions for me and pay them 4-20% of my player and endorsement income.

I'm 100% right, 50% of the time.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,620

Post#9 » by ishoy123 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm

jlokine wrote:
Deadpool Raptor wrote:
jlokine wrote:

what does that have anything to do with how much movies and TV show i watch? These qualities you listed are not things you can learn in a classroom either which is pretty much my point.

I don't disagree that they can be good agents. I was merely indicating that I thought there was a rule preventing them from being agents.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#10 » by Deadpool Raptor » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:33 pm

jlokine wrote:
Deadpool Raptor wrote:
jlokine wrote:

They are absolutely things you learn in a classroom. Do you think lawyers were born with attention to detail? Do you understand that experience must be built on a foundation of knowledge?

I am guessing your position that it's all about networking and being a good communicator is based on viewing movies and TV shows that position agents as fast talking hustlers. Unfortunately, many players are young and don't understand the work that is involved in acting as a representative; they think like you did in your comment.

Return to Wiretap Discussion