ImageImageImageImage

John Denton Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Re: John Denton Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by thelead » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 am

OrlandO wrote:The NBA, Blazers, Wolves and Spurs all did mass layoffs last month. I think the Jazz did so months ago.The Magic weren't the first and they won't be the last. Teams are playing basketball in one city in a bubble with outside staff and no fans, and it will likely take a year for the NBA to return to normal operating conditions for a number of reasons... it's unfortunate, but certain jobs have become unnecessary or redundant. Not surprised at all by layoffs.

Yes, most billionaires are greedy bastards. Doesn’t make it right. They’ll gladly underpay them again when the big bucks roll in again though.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#22 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:03 am

Hopefully the severance package is nice.

I'm really surprised to be honest that John was let go, the DeVos family pettiness really crept in here with the 30 full-time folks they let go.

As has already been pointed out, John really got to where he is with his Florida Today stint. When you are employed by the team though, a lot of your opinions get buried to not make the team look bad. I do hope he gets another gig covering the Magic, but I doubt it'll be at the pay he was getting with the team. The Sentinel is teetering (which is why Josh jumped to The Athletic). And there's no way The Athletic (which also had cuts earlier this year) would have two beat writers covering the Magic.

Looking forward to the eventual book hopefully, he's seen a ton and heard so many Magic stories. Great guy in the media room and at any events/settings.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#23 » by drsd » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:20 pm

His current Twitter reads:
"Free-agent sports writer as of July 2020. Formerly with http://OrlandoMagic.com for 10 years. Lived out a dream by working in and around the NBA since 1997."

https://twitter.com/johndenton555

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#24 » by Xatticus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:23 pm

OrlandO wrote:The NBA, Blazers, Wolves and Spurs all did mass layoffs last month. I think the Jazz did so months ago.The Magic weren't the first and they won't be the last. Teams are playing basketball in one city in a bubble with outside staff and no fans, and it will likely take a year for the NBA to return to normal operating conditions for a number of reasons... it's unfortunate, but certain jobs have become unnecessary or redundant. Not surprised at all by layoffs.

Yeah. I suppose we should all feel a bit bad for not considering the hardships the DeVos family is facing in this time of economic turmoil before posting these careless comments. The difference between $5 billion and $2 million is about $5 billion. Let's be clear, they didn't need to do this. They chose to. And these holy rollers putting out a PR message emphasizing their "family values" when announcing the layoffs is hypocrisy at its best.

I don't think anyone is actually surprised by this or fails to understand why it is happening. I know it's banal and expected, but it's still important that we point out and highlight scumbaggery wherever it pops up. I get it though. It's just another drop in the ocean of evidence proving that everything they taught us in school about Adam Smith's invisible hand was a load crap. It's just a rationalization as to why it's beneficial for everyone when those that give so little take so much. This is why supply-side stimulus is so remarkably stupid. The greedy mongrels will just sit on it and collect interest. Demand-side stimulus ends up in the same place, but at least the corporations have to provide some goods and services to get that money.

When this has all passed, they will hold a groveling competition where only the most obsequious wage slaves will be rewarded with a paycheck. All they have to do to keep it is surrender their right to free speech.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#25 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Hmm, people overreacting and wanting a group of owners on a certain side of the political aisle that they disagree with to sell the team. No bias or political motivations there, I'm sure.

Also, people comparing the Devos family to that pos and ACTUAL racist in Sterling. Wow. I'm used to hearing bs like that though, being on the same side of the aisle as the Devos family.

Not sure why a Denton Appreciation Thread had to turn so political. But that's just how people are nowadays.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I was never really a fan of Denton, but it sucks that he was let go as I had gotten used to him around the Magic. Never read his stuff from before he joined the team, but apparently he was really good back then. Maybe he can get back to that?
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
thelead
RealGM

Post#26 » by thelead » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:43 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Hmm, people overreacting and wanting a group of owners on a certain side of the political aisle that they disagree with to sell the team. No bias or political motivations there, I'm sure.

Also, people comparing the Devos family to that pos and ACTUAL racist in Sterling. Wow. I'm used to hearing bs like that though, being on the same side of the aisle as the Devos family.

Not sure why a Denton Appreciation Thread had to turn so political. But that's just how people are nowadays.

As for the actual topic of the thread, I was never really a fan of Denton, but it sucks that he was let go as I had gotten used to him around the Magic. Never read his stuff from before he joined the team, but apparently he was really good back then. Maybe he can get back to that?

Treating people well has nothing to do with politics. I'm tired of everything being red or blue. Taking care of 30 people during a pandemic when you have $5,000,000,000 is not a political issue. Stop it.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#27 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm

I think they're becoming cheap. I doubt they ever get into the luxury tax again. We had a pretty good team that went to the Finals and they blew it up the next year, because they didn't want to pay Hedo.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#28 » by Bensational » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Betsy Devos wants to send kids back to school in the midst of a pandemic, knowing deaths of children are very possible even if fewer than the potential elderly they can pass it on to.

Human life has no value to these people. Paying to keep them alive certainly won't rank highly in the Magic organisation.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#29 » by OrlandO » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 pm

thelead wrote:

Yes, most billionaires are greedy bastards. Doesn’t make it right. They’ll gladly underpay them again when the big bucks roll in again though.

How do you know it's wrong and how do you know they were underpaid? Do you have a list of the jobs that were eliminated and their respective salaries?
thelead
RealGM

Post#30 » by thelead » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:21 pm

OrlandO wrote:
thelead wrote:

How do you know it's wrong and how do you know they were underpaid? Do you have a list of the jobs that were eliminated and their respective salaries?

Nearly everyone that is not an exec in corporations are underpaid (ie a majority). It may not be wrong to you but I know that if I had 5 BILLION dollars, and was dealing with a temporary situation, I would not put 30 people out on the streets. I couldn’t live with myself. If you can, good for you.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#31 » by TheGlyde » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:52 am

thelead wrote:It may not be wrong to you but I know that if I had 5 BILLION dollars, and was dealing with a temporary situation, I would not put 30 people out on the streets. I couldn’t live with myself. If you can, good for you.

And this brings me back to my point ;)

Because you feel this way, (with actual compassion for others etc), you havent stomped on everyone to get to the top, thus you dont have 5 Billion dollars.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
thelead
RealGM

Post#32 » by thelead » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:10 am

TheGlyde wrote:
thelead wrote:It may not be wrong to you but I know that if I had 5 BILLION dollars, and was dealing with a temporary situation, I would not put 30 people out on the streets. I couldn’t live with myself. If you can, good for you.

And this brings me back to my point ;)

Because you feel this way, (with actual compassion for others etc), you havent stomped on everyone to get to the top, thus you dont have 5 Billion dollars.

I'm cool with that. I can't complain about my economic situation. I don't need a yacht to be happy :lol:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#33 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:19 am

What kills me about the whole thing is that laying off 31 people provides such a small amount of financial savings in the grand scheme of things that it can’t help but come off cruel and greedy.

It’s not like the people they let go we’re all making a million dollars each. It's highly unlikely they were even making 100K each on average.

You’re talking something like two to three million in total savings with these layoffs at best. The Magic would save 3.5M by declining Frazier and Clark’s team option and qualifying offer for next season, ya know?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#34 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Def Swami wrote:Unfortunately, the Magic made several layoffs (rumored to be around 10% of workforce), which included John Denton. I feel sorry for all those who lost their job. It's a shame that the DeVos Family wouldn't take care of their employees in this turbulent time.

Read on Twitter

Regardless of what you think about the coverage of the team, Denton gave us 10 years of content. Our media coverage is so limited compared to most other NBA teams. We've basically relied on Josh Robbins and John Denton for this entire time for any local coverage. It's a shame.

Read on Twitter
Other NBA Teams have laid off employees doesnt it also mean they wouldn't take care of their emoyees? Hell the league has laid people off. I find it disingenuous to say DeVos wouldn't take care of their employees as of they're manically belly laughing at people. This is a business and we dont actually know if they did something to take care of him. Im sure Dentons fine.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#35 » by drsd » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Denton might be more about the changing media landscape. Seems like most editorials this day are internet threads such as Orlando Magic Daily.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#36 » by Knightro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Other NBA Teams have laid off employees doesnt it also mean they wouldn't take care of their emoyees? Hell the league has laid people off. I find it disingenuous to say DeVos wouldn't take care of their employees as of they're manically belly laughing at people. This is a business and we dont actually know if they did something to take care of him. Im sure Dentons fine.

Yes. That's exactly what it means. Every team that has laid off employees is a disgrace. That's not at all exclusive to just the Magic. But this happens to be the Magic forum, so they're the only team we discuss on a regular basis.

And for the record, "other teams did it too" is a terrible justification.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#37 » by OrlandO » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm

Xatticus wrote:

Yeah. I suppose we should all feel a bit bad for not considering the hardships the DeVos family is facing in this time of economic turmoil before posting these careless comments. The difference between $5 billion and $2 million is about $5 billion. Let's be clear, they didn't need to do this. They chose to. And these holy rollers putting out a PR message emphasizing their "family values" when announcing the layoffs is hypocrisy at its best.

I don't think anyone is actually surprised by this or fails to understand why it is happening. I know it's banal and expected, but it's still important that we point out and highlight scumbaggery wherever it pops up. I get it though. It's just another drop in the ocean of evidence proving that everything they taught us in school about Adam Smith's invisible hand was a load crap. It's just a rationalization as to why it's beneficial for everyone when those that give so little take so much. This is why supply-side stimulus is so remarkably stupid. The greedy mongrels will just sit on it and collect interest. Demand-side stimulus ends up in the same place, but at least the corporations have to provide some goods and services to get that money.

When this has all passed, they will hold a groveling competition where only the most obsequious wage slaves will be rewarded with a paycheck. All they have to do to keep it is surrender their right to free speech.

:lol: I am not your therapist, buddy. Don't worry, magic basketball starts tomorrow and you can put this fake outrage behind you as you resume religiously following the family team.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#38 » by OrlandO » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:10 pm

drsd wrote:Denton might be more about the changing media landscape. Seems like most editorials this day are internet threads such as Orlando Magic Daily.

My guess is they were already planning to let him go and transfer his responsibilities to Savage, Cohen and junior staff.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#39 » by OrlandO » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:05 pm

semi related: t-mobile and sprint are giving away a free year subscription to The Athletic (Josh Robbins' content). 2 weeks to claim it.

Read on Twitter
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,226

Post#40 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:42 am

Knightro wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Other NBA Teams have laid off employees doesnt it also mean they wouldn't take care of their emoyees? Hell the league has laid people off. I find it disingenuous to say DeVos wouldn't take care of their employees as of they're manically belly laughing at people. This is a business and we dont actually know if they did something to take care of him. Im sure Dentons fine.

Yes. That's exactly what it means. Every team that has laid off employees is a disgrace. That's not at all exclusive to just the Magic. But this happens to be the Magic forum, so they're the only team we discuss on a regular basis.

And for the record, "other teams did it too" is a terrible justification.

Its not a disgrace its a business. Its sad but thats life. Tell them to put their pants on and go find another job. If you pay people to do nothing then that's exactly what they'll do. I Don't blame businesses for cutting costs during a pandemic.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt

Return to Orlando Magic