G League Players Form Union With Assistance From NBPA

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

G League Players Form Union With Assistance From NBPA 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:17 pm

With the assistance and support of the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA), G League players have organized and formed their own union, temporarily named the Basketball Players Union (BPU).  Approximately 80 percent (80%) of G League players voted to authorize the BPU to serve as their collective bargaining representative.  Further, the NBA G League agreed to voluntarily recognize the BPU as the players’ representative.  These players will now have the benefit of the many protections afforded to union-represented employees and the right to collectively bargain on a variety of matters, including, but not limited to, salaries, benefits and other working conditions.

The BPU will represent players on all of the NBA G League teams, including those players on the newly formed NBA G League Select Team.  NBA players on Two-Way contracts or assignment at NBA G League teams will continue to be represented by the NBPA.

“We are extremely pleased that our brothers in the G League elected to form their own union,” said Anthony Tolliver, Secretary-Treasurer of the NBPA’s Executive Committee. “The many NBA players with prior experience in the G League can personally attest to the value an organized union brings to players’ careers.   We would like to especially thank Andre Ingram and John Holland who gave so much of their personal time to the organizing process.”

“I could not be more excited or impressed with this decision by the G League players,” said Michele Roberts, Executive Director of the NBPA. “Like their brothers in the NBPA, these players work tirelessly to perfect their craft and will now have a voice in decisions relating to their working conditions, benefits and more."

Via RealGM Staff Report

Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,188

Re: G League Players Form Union With Assistance From NBPA 

Post#2 » by Nuntius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:24 pm

Nice. Good for the G-League Players :D
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm

Nuntius wrote:Nice. Good for the G-League Players :D

I don't know, this is the type of thing that could help kill the league if the union decides to try and flex their muscles too much. And without being able to flex their muscles the have no power whatsoever. This is a league where the players are constantly coming and going and the goal for every player is to get completely out of this job and into the NBA. Absolutely no player views this as long-term employment. There's just not enough stability in the labor force here.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#4 » by Cassius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:01 pm

The_Hater wrote:

I don't know, this is the type of thing that could help kill the league if the union decides to try and flex their muscles too much. And without being able to flex their muscles the have no power whatsoever. This is a league where the players are constantly coming and going and the goal for every player is to get completely out of this job and into the NBA. Absolutely no player views this as long-term employment. There's just not enough stability in the labor force here.

My buddy was training for a G-League team a few years ago and said that they were staying in some really, really budget hotels (like Rodeway Inn level). I think you have to set a floor for everything. People could (and have) say the same thing about the women's game.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Nuntius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:33 pm

The_Hater wrote:

It's definitely true that no player views the G-League as long-term employment. Its raison d'être right now is to be a stepping stone for the NBA. But what if the pay was better? What if the facilities were better? What if the travelling conditions (that Cassius described above) were better?

There are a ton of American players that are not good enough to play in the NBA but are good enough to be professional basketball players abroad. What if these players played in the G-League (which could allow them to be available for 10-day contracts in the NBA, if the need arises) instead of playing in Europe or China? What if young players that wanted to focus on basketball eschew the NCAA and instead sign with a G-League team.

Maybe a player union for the league makes that happen. Or maybe it doesn't. In either case, I see that as a positive development. Unions are good to have.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
The_Hater

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:48 pm

Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

It's definitely true that no player views the G-League as long-term employment. Its raison d'être right now is to be a stepping stone for the NBA. But what if the pay was better? What if the facilities were better? What if the travelling conditions (that Cassius described above) were better?

There are a ton of American players that are not good enough to play in the NBA but are good enough to be professional basketball players abroad. What if these players played in the G-League (which could allow them to be available for 10-day contracts in the NBA, if the need arises) instead of playing in Europe or China? What if young players that wanted to focus on basketball eschew the NCAA and instead sign with a G-League team.

Maybe a player union for the league makes that happen. Or maybe it doesn't. In either case, I see that as a positive development. Unions are good to have.

All good points but you can’t run a business based on ‘what if’s’. The G league has been around for a long time now and isn’t exactly a money making venture in its current format, I just don’t see how adding a few more decent players (who are also not good enough to play in the NBA) raises attendance or helps to secure them a lucrative TV contract. They’re still going to be the 3rd most popular league in North America regardless. (D1 being the other)
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Nuntius » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

All good points but you can’t run a business based on ‘what if’s’. The G league has been around for a long time now and isn’t exactly a money making venture in its current format, I just don’t see how adding a few more decent players (who are also not good enough to play in the NBA) raises attendance or helps to secure them a lucrative TV contract. They’re still going to be the 3rd most popular league in North America regardless. (D1 being the other)

What you're saying is true but the G-League doesn't need to be a big moneymaker on its own. It is affiliated with the NBA after all. If the G-League is able to lure in better players then that helps the development of young NBA players that are on their team's G-League affiliate which means that, in the end, the NBA product becomes better (even if marginally). I see that as a mutually-beneficial relationship.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
The_Hater

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

What you're saying is true but the G-League doesn't need to be a big moneymaker on its own. It is affiliated with the NBA after all. If the G-League is able to lure in better players then that helps the development of young NBA players that are on their team's G-League affiliate which means that, in the end, the NBA product becomes better (even if marginally). I see that as a mutually-beneficial relationship.

You’re correct that the g-league is mutually beneficial to the NBA, hence the reason they’re keeping it afloat right now, but there’s still a cost/benefit to everything. The NBA (more specifically the NBA owners) are still in the money making business. They aren’t going to pump unlimited money into a money losing business (same with the WNBA as a matter of fact).

And at the end of the day, a lot of those players would play for free. They’re all chasing their dream and looking for their lottery ticket which is playing in the NBA.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

You’re correct that the g-league is mutually beneficial to the NBA, hence the reason they’re keeping it afloat right now, but there’s still a cost/benefit to everything. The NBA (more specifically the NBA owners) are still in the money making business. They aren’t going to pump unlimited money into a money losing business (same with the WNBA as a matter of fact).

And at the end of the day, a lot of those players would play for free. They’re all chasing their dream and looking for their lottery ticket which is playing in the NBA.

I think thats the point of the union plan. Players chasing the dream are really getting taken advantage of by the NBA. Working quite hard for peanuts, getting used and moved around for years. The contract amounts seem to support the teams and influence them to access this set of talents, but is it fair to the players? The payoff isn't likely to be Lottery ticket worth even if making the NBA. I can think of specific names right now that have been playing on two ways and playing very effectively and their teams don't sound like they are planning to even retain them, much less give them a fair multiyear league min deal. Excluding this Covid year situation, the NBA is banking deep. Some of that pie could be subsidizing those G players a little more. Average G League salary is $35,000. Isn't the MLB also being pressed about the minor league handling of players?
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:36 am

The_Hater wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I agree that NBA owners aren't going to pump unlimited money into a money-losing business. That said, I don't think that we're at this point right now and I don't believe that G-League players having a union is going to result to that.

I also agree with Jedzz that some of the players on two-way contracts are getting screwed by the current financial arrangement. A union could help fix that without necessarily breaking the bank for NBA owners that are already making a ton.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#11 » by Cassius » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

I agree that NBA owners aren't going to pump unlimited money into a money-losing business. That said, I don't think that we're at this point right now and I don't believe that G-League players having a union is going to result to that.

I also agree with Jedzz that some of the players on two-way contracts are getting screwed by the current financial arrangement. A union could help fix that without necessarily breaking the bank for NBA owners that are already making a ton.

Amen. Hater, I think your point about D-1 being the second biggest league is exactly why the players need to unionize today. A strong G-League that syphons away good players from college is the best thing for the NBA. A player's union makes sure that if the league decides to improve training facilities, travel accommodations and increase advertising to compete with the NCAA head-on, that the 35K annual G-League salary doesn't become just as exploitative as the 40K annual scholarship.

Especially if the NBA bubble goes well... the economics for a viable (if not profitable) G-League will change dramatically.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
The_Hater

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Cassius wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
The_Hater wrote:.

Amen. Hater, I think your point about D-1 being the second biggest league is exactly why the players need to unionize today. A strong G-League that syphons away good players from college is the best thing for the NBA. A player's union makes sure that if the league decides to improve training facilities, travel accommodations and increase advertising to compete with the NCAA head-on, that the 35K annual G-League salary doesn't become just as exploitative as the 40K annual scholarship.

Especially if the NBA bubble goes well... the economics for a viable (if not profitable) G-League will change dramatically.

We’ll see. On the surface, I just don’t see this as a situation/business where the union will be helpful to the players without Simultaneously being detrimental. The future will tell us if I’m dead wrong about this which is very possible.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Nuntius » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:46 pm

On an unrelated note, I really enjoyed how cordial this discussion has been. I have to thank you both, Cassiues and The_Hater :beer:
Mankind..."

- Agalloch

Return to Wiretap Discussion