Image ImageImage Image

Gafford not a big fan of Jim Boylen

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Gafford not a big fan of Jim Boylen 

Post#1 » by JimmyJammer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 am

coach Jim Boylen has had a bizarre tenure in charge of the storied franchise. Initially appointed as interim coach after Fred Hoiberg was fired early in the 2018-19 season. He faced a near mutiny just a few weeks in and has been criticized from just about every possible angle in the time since. 

During a Twitch stream on Monday, Bulls rookie Daniel Gafford joined the chorus of those with complaints about Boylen. While he said he wouldn't go so far as to hate on him, Gafford's comments made it clear that he hasn't been thrilled with his experience playing for Boylen -- both personally and professionally. As transcribed by 670 The Score:

"I'm going to answer this question, but I'm not going to read it out. As a matter of fact, I will read it out. 'Do you like Jim Boylen?' He aight. I don't like him a lot, but he OK. Got some things he can work on, got some things he can get better at as a person and as a coach. I'm not going to hate on him. I'm not going to hate the man."

It's rare to hear any player speaking that candidly about their coach in public, but especially a second-round pick who spent part of the season in the G League. The fact that Gafford was willing to criticize Boylen so openly, despite little in the way of job security, is another major indictment against the coach. 

Boylen is 39-84 in his season-plus in charge of the Bulls, and with their campaign officially over after not being invited to the Disney World bubble, they've now missed the playoffs three seasons in a row. That's the longest playoff drought for the franchise since they missed out six seasons in a row following Michael Jordan's departure in 1998. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bulls-rookie-daniel-gafford-says-jim-boylen-has-things-he-needs-to-work-on-as-a-person-and-coach/
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Re: Gafford not a big fan of Jim Boylen 

Post#2 » by 2018C3 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:30 am

I really can't blame him, but those comments are sad to hear.

I like Gaffords potential more than Boylens. It's never a good idea to be that honest about a coach, I just hope he sticks around long enough to outlast the coach.

If I were to bet, I now think he might be traded and as a fan that sucks.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,633

Post#3 » by Dez » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 am

2018C3 wrote:I really can't blame him, but those comments are sad to hear.

I like Gaffords potential more than Boylens. It's never a good idea to be that honest about a coach, I just hope he sticks around long enough to outlast the coach.

If I were to bet, I now think he might be traded and as a fan that sucks.

They aren't going to trade him because of that, that's ridiculous.

People are making way too much out of this, the comments weren't even bad.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#4 » by Evil_Headband » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 pm

It looks bad upon Gafford by showing a lack of judgment and professionalism. I know none of us are fans of Boylen, but constructive criticism should be given to those who can make a difference, not on a Twitch stream.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#5 » by Hold That » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:18 pm

Gafford hasn’t been in the NBA long enough to realize that even media members will covertly view your twitch stream in hopes of an article. Twitch is usually populated by teenage kids who like to game. I honestly felt like he was in an environment where he could be candid, but any platforms you use whether teenage kids frequent or adults, trust and believe media members will be there for a potential article.

If a second round rookie is saying this, makes me wonder what the more established players on our team is saying. He spoke so candid as if he knows Boylan won’t be back next season.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#6 » by sco » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:52 pm

Between his and WCJ's comments, I think the FO should connect the dots on a player buy-in issue.
:clap:
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Post#7 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
coach Jim Boylen has had a bizarre tenure in charge of the storied franchise. Initially appointed as interim coach after Fred Hoiberg was fired early in the 2018-19 season. He faced a near mutiny just a few weeks in and has been criticized from just about every possible angle in the time since. 

During a Twitch stream on Monday, Bulls rookie Daniel Gafford joined the chorus of those with complaints about Boylen. While he said he wouldn't go so far as to hate on him, Gafford's comments made it clear that he hasn't been thrilled with his experience playing for Boylen -- both personally and professionally. As transcribed by 670 The Score:

"I'm going to answer this question, but I'm not going to read it out. As a matter of fact, I will read it out. 'Do you like Jim Boylen?' He aight. I don't like him a lot, but he OK. Got some things he can work on, got some things he can get better at as a person and as a coach. I'm not going to hate on him. I'm not going to hate the man."

It's rare to hear any player speaking that candidly about their coach in public
, but especially a second-round pick who spent part of the season in the G League. The fact that Gafford was willing to criticize Boylen so openly, despite little in the way of job security, is another major indictment against the coach. 

Boylen is 39-84 in his season-plus in charge of the Bulls, and with their campaign officially over after not being invited to the Disney World bubble, they've now missed the playoffs three seasons in a row. That's the longest playoff drought for the franchise since they missed out six seasons in a row following Michael Jordan's departure in 1998. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bulls-rookie-daniel-gafford-says-jim-boylen-has-things-he-needs-to-work-on-as-a-person-and-coach/

in the past but its becoming more common. imo when you are a bad team with a poorly run FO the coach just looks that much worse to the media, players and fans. I dont think Boylen is a good coach but i feel as if guys want a players coach in todays game and Boylen is more old school.
Be curious, Not judgmental
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#8 » by TeamMan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:28 pm

No real background for this.

But at the same time, I haven't seen anything to the contrary from other players.

So, in effect, this is a net zero.

================
Now from a political position, you have to wonder if Gafford talks to his agent at all..

IMO any agent worth his salt would advise his client from day one not to post negative comments on any public media.

That opens speculation to the idea that maybe Gafford is (already) not happy with his 4-year contract, and is starting a campaign to either get traded, or have the team option out of the contract.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#9 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:56 pm

To me, it doesn't read or sound that bad. It was fair criticism and actually pretty polite in comparison to what other NBA players say when they criticize their teams. I mean, Kyrie called out his teammates and said they need to get better players in there.

FO should be able to connect the dots, that even your bench players are not fans of him.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,049

Post#10 » by FriedRise » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Me too, Gafford. Me too.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#11 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:42 pm

Evil_Headband wrote:It looks bad upon Gafford by showing a lack of judgment and professionalism. I know none of us are fans of Boylen, but constructive criticism should be given to those who can make a difference, not on a Twitch stream.

He was asked a question and he answered it. It's not a big deal. It's known that the players don't like him anyway and by any measure, what Gafford said was tame.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#12 » by MrSparkle » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm

All things considered, I agree that it wasn’t that big a deal. Boylen was a complete jackass in many interviews.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#13 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 pm

This says more about Gafford than Boylen, really. A whole lot of players around the league probably feel much worse about their coach but aren't saying it on Twitch.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#14 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:This says more about Gafford than Boylen, really. A whole lot of players around the league probably feel much worse about their coach but aren't saying it on Twitch.

I agree, but Gafford is the 6th player to have something not positive with coach. At some point, for this many players including veterans, do you think the environment could just be that toxic?
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#15 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 pm

Not a fan of a rookie scrub making any negative comments towards a head coach, even if true. I am rooting for a change, but shut up Gafford. You can’t make any comments like that, what are you thinking.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:38 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Not a fan of a rookie scrub making any negative comments towards a head coach, even if true. I am rooting for a change, but shut up Gafford. You can’t make any comments like that, what are you thinking.

Good advice for Gafford would be to not say such things.

However, as a fan, I encourage players to always speak up even if we don't like it. I'd rather know where people are really at, but most of the time, when people hear a truth they don't want to hear or get information they don't want to hear, they blame the messenger.

That doesn't change what's going on. It just makes sure you never hear about it again.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,355

Post#17 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:42 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Not a fan of a rookie scrub making any negative comments towards a head coach, even if true. I am rooting for a change, but shut up Gafford. You can’t make any comments like that, what are you thinking.

He didnt say anything bad, He said hes alright. And he clearly said he wont talk badly about the man.

What am I missing?
The Cult of Personality
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#18 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:45 pm

I'm not for censorship. Gafford can say whatever the hell he wants, just like anybody else.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Did you even hear what he said? And a scrub? Lebron will be a scrub if coach is playing him 10 mins.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#20 » by ChettheJet » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:30 pm

If Boylen looks in the mirror and sees how he's done and then checks his 39-84 record he's going to agree that he could be a better coach, probably could relate to his players better, do a better job of communicating. He spoke to his hometown radio show, everybody talks to the media, win games and you're everybody's hero

Return to Chicago Bulls