ImageImageImage

draft target

Moderator: jbk1234

who will be the Cavs top target in the draft ? who is next ? vote for 2

Edwards
4
14%
Wiseman
3
10%
Okongwu
6
21%
Okoro
1
3%
Ball
3
10%
Hayes
1
3%
Avdija
6
21%
Vassell
2
7%
Toppin
3
10%
others
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 29

Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: draft target 

Post#21 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I have concerns about pretty much every highly ranked prospect in this draft besides Okongwu and Vassell because i see in both ceilings being just as high as the others as it pertains to actual attainable reality
I would love for them to gamble on Wiseman being the next Embiid but he could easily be Jaret allen his whole career. Same goes for Edwards he could be Jimmy Butler or he could be nothing more than Norman Powell but at least the floor is reasonable.
Ball has no real comp and i think it keeps him polarizing but unless those decisions on and off court are a lot better as a adult which i dont trust he will not only be a flight risk his odds of working match Johnny football.
Hayes is interesting if Garland is outgoing because i think he can become a decent defensive player...but he might never be and rarely uses his right hand so his versatility as a finisher is ltd until he does.
Side note;
Personally think Sexton showed so much in those few games under jb as a distributor he really should be the starting pg going forward and if they draft a guard it should be an off ball defender that can shoot like Vassell unless they think Kpj cant handle defending 3s. I think kpj is more than capable as a sf or sg with his iso ability.


With his length, what do you think of Vassell defeding 3's?

yeah 6'10" isnt great but his awareness and speed should make him more than capable on switches. imo his offensive arsenol is also a little underrated given he moves the ball really well as a secondary handler and that high release is golden.


It's longer than KPJ, though only by 1 inch, and he's about 2 inches taller than KPJ. Granted KPJ is thicker and it's something that Vassell will need to work on, but I think between the two of them they could easily work defending the 2/3. I've actually been coming around to Vassell more and more as an option for the Cavs. Granted I still prefer Avdija, but that's because I think his overall skillset and work ethic could be a great fit for this team with his ability to distribute, rebound, defend, and score but also not needing to have the ball in his hands due to a high BBIQ.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:57 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
With his length, what do you think of Vassell defeding 3's?

yeah 6'10" isnt great but his awareness and speed should make him more than capable on switches. imo his offensive arsenol is also a little underrated given he moves the ball really well as a secondary handler and that high release is golden.


It's longer than KPJ, though only by 1 inch, and he's about 2 inches taller than KPJ. Granted KPJ is thicker and it's something that Vassell will need to work on, but I think between the two of them they could easily work defending the 2/3. I've actually been coming around to Vassell more and more as an option for the Cavs. Granted I still prefer Avdija, but that's because I think his overall skillset and work ethic could be a great fit for this team with his ability to distribute, rebound, defend, and score but also not needing to have the ball in his hands due to a high BBIQ.

Yeah Vassell can put the ball on the floor well but he isnt the ball handler Edwards is or the slasher finisher Okoro is so he gets less top rankings but hes a much higher iq player and alot better shooter than either and more than just catch and shoot offensive wise. I think Vassell showed enough as a passer cutter and defensively to think hes just as high iq as Avdija maybe more defensively.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/699059/
IN this one I have CLE passing on Edwards at 3 after Wiseman and Okongwu go one two in the draft. They move down to 6 and 15 from Wolves.
Cavs then take the high floor 3/d Vassell at 6 and the high ceiling stretch 4/5 Smith. (Oturu may be a option as well) at 15-17 wherever the 2nd Wolves pick is at.
Then for the hell of it I have the Cavs trade some future assets and McKinnie to SAC for a chance to develop Achiuwa who slides to the early 2nd.
Then in the late 2nd Cavs take a pick off Phi hands since they are shopping those and never using all of them anyway , and the Cavs grab the best rebounding swingman in the country.
This would be a damn good use of assets in the 2nd should either of those slide(doubtful) but even moreso a solid use of a trade down package.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,820
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: draft target 

Post#24 » by gflem » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/699059/
IN this one I have CLE passing on Edwards at 3 after Wiseman and Okongwu go one two in the draft. They move down to 6 and 15 from Wolves.
Cavs then take the high floor 3/d Vassell at 6 and the high ceiling stretch 4/5 Smith. (Oturu may be a option as well) at 15-17 wherever the 2nd Wolves pick is at.
Then for the hell of it I have the Cavs trade some future assets and McKinnie to SAC for a chance to develop Achiuwa who slides to the early 2nd.
Then in the late 2nd Cavs take a pick off Phi hands since they are shopping those and never using all of them anyway , and the Cavs grab the best rebounding swingman in the country.
This would be a damn good use of assets in the 2nd should either of those slide(doubtful) but even moreso a solid use of a trade down package.

I wouldn't hate this, I am high on Smith and would love to see the Cavs find a way to get him, but I see him as more of a 4 than a 5. I think Achiuwa is Tyrus Thomas though, and would rather take a shot at Kaleb Wesson in your scenario, I like his offensive ability and size but I don't see him being able to switch defensively on pnr where Achiuwa has that ability albeit at a different position. I can't say I know much about Hinton. Vassel at 6 is decent value, and who knows, maybe great value but at 6'5" he is the same size as KPJ, and fwiw I think Edwards has much higher star/franchise type potential so it would be hard for me to pass on him if he is there at our draft spot.
edit:typo
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:57 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/699059/
IN this one I have CLE passing on Edwards at 3 after Wiseman and Okongwu go one two in the draft. They move down to 6 and 15 from Wolves.
Cavs then take the high floor 3/d Vassell at 6 and the high ceiling stretch 4/5 Smith. (Oturu may be a option as well) at 15-17 wherever the 2nd Wolves pick is at.
Then for the hell of it I have the Cavs trade some future assets and McKinnie to SAC for a chance to develop Achiuwa who slides to the early 2nd.
Then in the late 2nd Cavs take a pick off Phi hands since they are shopping those and never using all of them anyway , and the Cavs grab the best rebounding swingman in the country.
This would be a damn good use of assets in the 2nd should either of those slide(doubtful) but even moreso a solid use of a trade down package.

I wouldn't hate this, I am high on Smith and would love to see the Cavs find a way to get him, but I see him as more of a 4 than a 5. I think Achiuwa is Tyrus Thomas though, and would rather take a shot at Kaleb Wesson in your scenario, I like his offensive ability and size but I don't see him being able to switch defensively on pnr where Achiuwa has that ability albeit at a different position. I can't say I know much about Hinton. Vassel at 6 is decent value, and who knows, maybe great value but at 6'5" he is the same size as KPJ, and fwiw I think Edwards has much higher star/franchise type potential so it would be hard for me to pass on him if he is there at our draft spot.
edit:typo

Yeah im not completely sold Edwards has star potential any more than Vassell. I think neither are that level without high usage. I doubt they will take Edwards though not as a first or even 2nd option but they definitely could use him as trade down bait His handle is the one thing that makes him high lottery worthy for a swingman imo and somebody might trade up for him.
I think Vassell is a more rounded prospect.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:33 pm

aside from obvious targets, one prospect that is really still a huge sleeper imo and should get late first looks but probably will slide to mid 2nd is Breein Tyree . his arsenol was on display all season as a senior and would be a real nice pickup if they can get a 2nd round pick to add him to the core. He plays defense has good athleticism for a pg and he can shoot it from the logo. He looked last year in college what most of us hoped DG would be in the NBA. I think the similarities are real close. Difference is one is already developed and if nothing else gives you a damn good idea of what DG could have been had he not been injured. We are never going to see DG capable of attacking the basket above the rim imo.
https://youtu.be/sZgseIsXhg4
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,820
And1: 196
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: draft target 

Post#27 » by gflem » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:57 pm

Stillwater wrote:aside from obvious targets, one prospect that is really still a huge sleeper imo and should get late first looks but probably will slide to mid 2nd is Breein Tyree . his arsenol was on display all season as a senior and would be a real nice pickup if they can get a 2nd round pick to add him to the core. He plays defense has good athleticism for a pg and he can shoot it from the logo. He looked last year in college what most of us hoped DG would be in the NBA. I think the similarities are real close. Difference is one is already developed and if nothing else gives you a damn good idea of what DG could have been had he not been injured. We are never going to see DG capable of attacking the basket above the rim imo.
https://youtu.be/sZgseIsXhg4

Nice highlight reel. Looks intriguing, but Bennett had a good highlight reel as well. Of course, he want first overall lol. Where is Tyree mocked? I can honestly say I didn't even know his name before you posted it. Where/how would you suggest the Cavs draft him? Not going to happen with Garland here imo, but who knows right?
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 7, 2020 11:43 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:aside from obvious targets, one prospect that is really still a huge sleeper imo and should get late first looks but probably will slide to mid 2nd is Breein Tyree . his arsenol was on display all season as a senior and would be a real nice pickup if they can get a 2nd round pick to add him to the core. He plays defense has good athleticism for a pg and he can shoot it from the logo. He looked last year in college what most of us hoped DG would be in the NBA. I think the similarities are real close. Difference is one is already developed and if nothing else gives you a damn good idea of what DG could have been had he not been injured. We are never going to see DG capable of attacking the basket above the rim imo.
https://youtu.be/sZgseIsXhg4

Nice highlight reel. Looks intriguing, but Bennett had a good highlight reel as well. Of course, he want first overall lol. Where is Tyree mocked? I can honestly say I didn't even know his name before you posted it. Where/how would you suggest the Cavs draft him? Not going to happen with Garland here imo, but who knows right?

I am not sure anyone is mocking him which tells me just how bad the media scouting has been with no tournament or buzz building workouts etc.They rely so much on that as opposed to true scouting dept. analysis protocols.
I mean he turns 23 in JAN of 21 but he is proven as a clutch game on the line scorer shooter and is pretty damn explosive for a 6'2 or whatever he is prospect but he has a few flaws like every other prospect but he should get drafted just based on the speed and athleticism paired with the shooting skills but there are always undersized combo prospects like this that slip through the cracks esp in this draft with so many more polarizing guards at younger ages. I have seen enough from him the last few seasons to think he is more than capable of running a 2nd unit and clearly is capable of coming off the bench in a 6th man role to add a scoring punch in crunch time.
I'd buy a late first for him just to put pressure on the current guard core , but I doubt that would ever happen with names like Flynn,Mannion or Maledon likely still also available, so imo a mid-late 2nd if he is still available is a no brainer buy in.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,128
And1: 1,938
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: draft target 

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Sun Aug 9, 2020 6:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:aside from obvious targets, one prospect that is really still a huge sleeper imo and should get late first looks but probably will slide to mid 2nd is Breein Tyree . his arsenol was on display all season as a senior and would be a real nice pickup if they can get a 2nd round pick to add him to the core. He plays defense has good athleticism for a pg and he can shoot it from the logo. He looked last year in college what most of us hoped DG would be in the NBA. I think the similarities are real close. Difference is one is already developed and if nothing else gives you a damn good idea of what DG could have been had he not been injured. We are never going to see DG capable of attacking the basket above the rim imo.
https://youtu.be/sZgseIsXhg4

Nice highlight reel. Looks intriguing, but Bennett had a good highlight reel as well. Of course, he want first overall lol. Where is Tyree mocked? I can honestly say I didn't even know his name before you posted it. Where/how would you suggest the Cavs draft him? Not going to happen with Garland here imo, but who knows right?

I am not sure anyone is mocking him which tells me just how bad the media scouting has been with no tournament or buzz building workouts etc.They rely so much on that as opposed to true scouting dept. analysis protocols.
I mean he turns 23 in JAN of 21 but he is proven as a clutch game on the line scorer shooter and is pretty damn explosive for a 6'2 or whatever he is prospect but he has a few flaws like every other prospect but he should get drafted just based on the speed and athleticism paired with the shooting skills but there are always undersized combo prospects like this that slip through the cracks esp in this draft with so many more polarizing guards at younger ages. I have seen enough from him the last few seasons to think he is more than capable of running a 2nd unit and clearly is capable of coming off the bench in a 6th man role to add a scoring punch in crunch time.
I'd buy a late first for him just to put pressure on the current guard core , but I doubt that would ever happen with names like Flynn,Mannion or Maledon likely still also available, so imo a mid-late 2nd if he is still available is a no brainer buy in.


Might pickup that kind of player undrafted.

Or in that same vein, but even more proven with better assists/3pt% ... how about Cassius Winston?
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 9, 2020 8:13 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Nice highlight reel. Looks intriguing, but Bennett had a good highlight reel as well. Of course, he want first overall lol. Where is Tyree mocked? I can honestly say I didn't even know his name before you posted it. Where/how would you suggest the Cavs draft him? Not going to happen with Garland here imo, but who knows right?

I am not sure anyone is mocking him which tells me just how bad the media scouting has been with no tournament or buzz building workouts etc.They rely so much on that as opposed to true scouting dept. analysis protocols.
I mean he turns 23 in JAN of 21 but he is proven as a clutch game on the line scorer shooter and is pretty damn explosive for a 6'2 or whatever he is prospect but he has a few flaws like every other prospect but he should get drafted just based on the speed and athleticism paired with the shooting skills but there are always undersized combo prospects like this that slip through the cracks esp in this draft with so many more polarizing guards at younger ages. I have seen enough from him the last few seasons to think he is more than capable of running a 2nd unit and clearly is capable of coming off the bench in a 6th man role to add a scoring punch in crunch time.
I'd buy a late first for him just to put pressure on the current guard core , but I doubt that would ever happen with names like Flynn,Mannion or Maledon likely still also available, so imo a mid-late 2nd if he is still available is a no brainer buy in.


Might pickup that kind of player undrafted.

Or in that same vein, but even more proven with better assists/3pt% ... how about Cassius Winston?

Yeah idk know why any rebuilding team with a struggling defensive back court would want a high floor offensive plug and play bench scorer that run a 2nd unit but cant defend at all in college and definitely wont in the NBA . I think CW is definitely a mid to late 2nd target for a contender though for his offense.
I agree Tyree might slip through the cracks if noone has been paying attn and go UDFA. I doubt it though, I think he is the next Derrick White level impact player nobody for the most part expects to have said level of impact.
I think he is a better 2-way NBA player right away than many of the guard prospects with more attn in the same age other than Flynn and Riller
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,347
And1: 22,117
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: draft target 

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:36 pm

I'm taking Wiseman if he's on the board and it's really not a close call. He's got a season, or at least half a season, to play behind Drummond. I could be sold on Okongwu if we end up picking around 5 again. The Hawks jumping us for Hunter last season really hurt.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#32 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:49 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm taking Wiseman if he's on the board and it's really not a close call. He's got a season, or at least half a season, to play behind Drummond. I could be sold on Okongwu if we end up picking around 5 again. The Hawks jumping us for Hunter last season really hurt.

Yeah I get the Wiseman over Okongwu argument from most because of the elite measureables and decent upside, but I cant get past the Bam comp for Okongwu being more reasonable and so therefore intriguing to me mostly because O has a more proven bbiq than Wiseman and the difference may be more significant than people assume. He was probably just being a kid, but Wiseman took a lot of bad shots away from the paint in HS and rarely ever showed signs of them being a transferable skill , at least when O took a shot the % was good even on low usuage.
The one that is growing on me is Okoro right now just because of the defense, even though the shooting is bad, the attacking ability is better than Edwards .
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,347
And1: 22,117
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: draft target 

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm taking Wiseman if he's on the board and it's really not a close call. He's got a season, or at least half a season, to play behind Drummond. I could be sold on Okongwu if we end up picking around 5 again. The Hawks jumping us for Hunter last season really hurt.

Yeah I get the Wiseman over Okongwu argument from most because of the elite measureables and decent upside, but I cant get past the Bam comp for Okongwu being more reasonable and so therefore intriguing to me mostly because O has a more proven bbiq than Wiseman and the difference may be more significant than people assume. He was probably just being a kid, but Wiseman took a lot of bad shots away from the paint in HS and rarely ever showed signs of them being a transferable skill , at least when O took a shot the % was good even on low usuage.
The one that is growing on me is Okoro right now just because of the defense, even though the shooting is bad, the attacking ability is better than Edwards .


You can't teach 7'1". I'm assuming Okongwu projects as a SF/PF in the NBA. I'm not interested in a TT/Bam center again. Those guys look good until their rookie contract expires and you're overpaying to hold onto them. If you're going to pay a starting center real money, they absolutely have to be able to protect the rim or it's just not worth it. We really haven't had any type of legitimate rim protection since AV suffered his last injury. The Celtics have everything you could want except a legitimate big man and it caps their ceiling.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm taking Wiseman if he's on the board and it's really not a close call. He's got a season, or at least half a season, to play behind Drummond. I could be sold on Okongwu if we end up picking around 5 again. The Hawks jumping us for Hunter last season really hurt.

Yeah I get the Wiseman over Okongwu argument from most because of the elite measureables and decent upside, but I cant get past the Bam comp for Okongwu being more reasonable and so therefore intriguing to me mostly because O has a more proven bbiq than Wiseman and the difference may be more significant than people assume. He was probably just being a kid, but Wiseman took a lot of bad shots away from the paint in HS and rarely ever showed signs of them being a transferable skill , at least when O took a shot the % was good even on low usuage.
The one that is growing on me is Okoro right now just because of the defense, even though the shooting is bad, the attacking ability is better than Edwards .


You can't teach 7'1". I'm assuming Okongwu projects as a SF/PF in the NBA. I'm not interested in a TT/Bam center again. Those guys look good until their rookie contract expires and you're overpaying to hold onto them. If you're going to pay a starting center real money, they absolutely have to be able to protect the rim or it's just not worth it. We really haven't had any type of legitimate rim protection since AV suffered his last injury. The Celtics have everything you could want except a legitimate big man and it caps their ceiling.

I like O as a 4-5 that can defend 3-5 maybe 2-5 including the rim easily and yeah I get that WIseman has better length but O's explosiveness is better and IQ timing etc make him a legit rim protector too despite not having the same length.
If they think TT is the comp I wouldnt touch him either, I think hes a lot better than that defensively and the only thing hurting his stock is never shooting much despite having a jumper in HS. Taking WIseman over him makes sense to me only if they see him being more than a rim runner/protector long term, right now he is far away from that unless he adds more post moves and passing.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,347
And1: 22,117
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: draft target 

Post#35 » by jbk1234 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah I get the Wiseman over Okongwu argument from most because of the elite measureables and decent upside, but I cant get past the Bam comp for Okongwu being more reasonable and so therefore intriguing to me mostly because O has a more proven bbiq than Wiseman and the difference may be more significant than people assume. He was probably just being a kid, but Wiseman took a lot of bad shots away from the paint in HS and rarely ever showed signs of them being a transferable skill , at least when O took a shot the % was good even on low usuage.
The one that is growing on me is Okoro right now just because of the defense, even though the shooting is bad, the attacking ability is better than Edwards .


You can't teach 7'1". I'm assuming Okongwu projects as a SF/PF in the NBA. I'm not interested in a TT/Bam center again. Those guys look good until their rookie contract expires and you're overpaying to hold onto them. If you're going to pay a starting center real money, they absolutely have to be able to protect the rim or it's just not worth it. We really haven't had any type of legitimate rim protection since AV suffered his last injury. The Celtics have everything you could want except a legitimate big man and it caps their ceiling.

I like O as a 4-5 that can defend 3-5 maybe 2-5 including the rim easily and yeah I get that WIseman has better length but O's explosiveness is better and IQ timing etc make him a legit rim protector too despite not having the same length.
If they think TT is the comp I wouldnt touch him either, I think hes a lot better than that defensively and the only thing hurting his stock is never shooting much despite having a jumper in HS. Taking WIseman over him makes sense to me only if they see him being more than a rim runner/protector long term, right now he is far away from that unless he adds more post moves and passing.


People get carried away with small ball. There are too many athletic seven footers in the league now and if you can't match up with those teams, you're not going far in the post season. I look at Bam and ask myself whether I'd pay the $25M or so the Heat are going to have to come up with it to retain him. I'm not sure what the answer is. It's very difficult to compete at the highest levels if you're locking that type of money into the center position. If you're going to do so, that guy shouldn't be undersized. Even Draymond Green's deal isn't looking so hot right now.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#36 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
You can't teach 7'1". I'm assuming Okongwu projects as a SF/PF in the NBA. I'm not interested in a TT/Bam center again. Those guys look good until their rookie contract expires and you're overpaying to hold onto them. If you're going to pay a starting center real money, they absolutely have to be able to protect the rim or it's just not worth it. We really haven't had any type of legitimate rim protection since AV suffered his last injury. The Celtics have everything you could want except a legitimate big man and it caps their ceiling.

I like O as a 4-5 that can defend 3-5 maybe 2-5 including the rim easily and yeah I get that WIseman has better length but O's explosiveness is better and IQ timing etc make him a legit rim protector too despite not having the same length.
If they think TT is the comp I wouldnt touch him either, I think hes a lot better than that defensively and the only thing hurting his stock is never shooting much despite having a jumper in HS. Taking WIseman over him makes sense to me only if they see him being more than a rim runner/protector long term, right now he is far away from that unless he adds more post moves and passing.


People get carried away with small ball. There are too many athletic seven footers in the league now and if you can't match up with those teams, you're not going far in the post season. I look at Bam and ask myself whether I'd pay the $25M or so the Heat are going to have to come up with it to retain him. I'm not sure what the answer is. It's very difficult to compete at the highest levels if you're locking that type of money into the center position. If you're going to do so, that guy shouldn't be undersized. Even Draymond Green's deal isn't looking so hot right now.

I'd rather have a big mobile enough to defend multiple positions than one that just runs the floor as a lob threat and protects the rim at the rim only as opposed to reading plays and disrupting them more than it shows in the box score. I dont care about the $ aspect, never have but I get your point if you think O cant handle defending bigger bigs, I think he can.
Whatever we are probably taking Hayes lol
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:58 pm

So my first mock after the drawing has the Cavs taking the BPA who in this case is Okongwu unless they want to go pg with Hayes.
This one also has the Cavs buying a pick from Philly who is in cap hell and has 2 high 2nds for role players...so the Cavs buy mid first for a wing defender that has some upside and decent size to defend 2-4 but he is a bit raw.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/759139/
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 1, 2020 12:56 pm

I have this strange feeling we are targeting athleticism and defense even if they are raw like Achiuwa if Okongwu and Wiseman are gone. Doubt they would take such a raw prospect at 5 but hes really no more raw than Wiseman.
The thing is Achiuwa proved he can bang down low out of position and be a rim runner despite being recruited as an elite wing defender where most of his precollege skillset shines. I would trade down for sure because i dont see atl or det taking him 6 or 7 and ny definitely shouldn't and probably is who we traded down with etc. I think he goes in the SAS SAC NOP BOS range .
I guess the motivation the Cavs would have with him is his motor runs 9000rpms all game and he can defend 2-5 sorta like the Okoro draw of 1-4 defense and very explosive.
Personally wouldn't take a prospect with a floor that low at 5 offensively ever if it were not for the Motor and the fact he could be the underrated Sexton of this draft if the work ethic is what it seems.
I guess my point is he is a sleeper for us esp in a trade down situation.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 566
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: draft target 

Post#39 » by Revenged25 » Tue Sep 1, 2020 1:49 pm

I think that the target for this draft is going to be defense. all 4 picks the past 2 years have been offensive minded players with the intention of trying to improve their defense. I think this year the targets will be defense first and if we need to improve their offense so be it, with the one exception being Deni who I think is just such a unique blend of skills that he has low key star potential though at minimum going to be a Batum type player who is still very good to have. I personally like Deni > Okoro = Vassell at #5 then look to get a mid-late 1st for a guy like Jaden McDaniels who has the tools to be a good defender able to switch from 2-4 but would need some work, maybe even a year or 2 in the G-League to help him develop and get maximum minutes instead of scraps playing behind whoever is at SF and Love.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,582
And1: 3,184
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: draft target 

Post#40 » by Stillwater » Tue Sep 1, 2020 3:38 pm

Revenged25 wrote:I think that the target for this draft is going to be defense. all 4 picks the past 2 years have been offensive minded players with the intention of trying to improve their defense. I think this year the targets will be defense first and if we need to improve their offense so be it, with the one exception being Deni who I think is just such a unique blend of skills that he has low key star potential though at minimum going to be a Batum type player who is still very good to have. I personally like Deni > Okoro = Vassell at #5 then look to get a mid-late 1st for a guy like Jaden McDaniels who has the tools to be a good defender able to switch from 2-4 but would need some work, maybe even a year or 2 in the G-League to help him develop and get maximum minutes instead of scraps playing behind whoever is at SF and Love.

You might be right about Avdija being a higher value target because of IQ aka playmaking ability if in fact they believe he can be that without an outside shot or explosive finishing ability at they next level. I dont think they would value him that high for only that reason so there would have to be something else they are intrigued by like maybe his shot making ability is something they think they can develop...so his playmaking would open up idk.
I just think outside of Big 0's elite 2 way floor with his easy to develop negatives like just getting stronger overall and stretching his mid range shot some or Wisemans raw but unteachable size and frame there has to be some real interest in a prospect like Achiuwa in a trade down or even at 5 potentially over some of these more polished options. He is legit the only real athletic 3-4 prospect in this draft and its our biggest issue.
I do think better floor options outside of the on ball guards that will be there are limited to Vassell high floor and decent upside as well as maybe some other sleeper like Ramseyan elite shooter who could develop into a starting 2 guard or Okoros high floor defensively but really troublesome outside shot and maybe ltd to being a slasher.
Not many options there that can defend the 4 or 5 full time where Achiwu can and should be able to handle most guards with his athleticism so the only issue is developing his offensive chops and improving his shot and his high motor will be impactful from day 1 at the 3 or 4. main thing that would stop me taking him at 5 is his handles are meh
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers