ImageImage

OT: Books

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,064

Re: OT: Books 

Post#41 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 am

I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#42 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 am

FrieAaron wrote:I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.

Yep. I read it twice 25 years ago.

I still don't fully comprehend it. Which I'm not really ashamed of. I think.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
buckboy
RealGM

Post#43 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 am

FrieAaron wrote:I made the mistake of trying to listen to "Ulysses" on audiobook. I made it through, but quickly realized it's one I'm going to want to physically read some time so that I can go back and reread passages until I get it.

DP
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,642

Post#44 » by chonestown » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:52 am

Happy to see IJ get some love. DFW has been a punching bag over the last couple years. I can't speak on his personal life, but his writing had warm humanity to it. IJ is a huge commitment, but I without reservation recommend "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." He was a tremendous non-fiction essayist and this is a great way to wade into his deep waters. IJ is worth the hype, but its also 1,100 pages and requires 2 bookmarks.

His piece on Federer is essential. Grab it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
buckboy
RealGM

Post#45 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:19 am

chonestown wrote:Happy to see IJ get some love. DFW has been a punching bag over the last couple years. I can't speak on his personal life, but his writing had warm humanity to it. IJ is a huge commitment, but I without reservation recommend "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again." He was a tremendous non-fiction essayist and this is a great way to wade into his deep waters. IJ is worth the hype, but its also 1,100 pages and requires 2 bookmarks.

His piece on Federer is essential. Grab it here.
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all

Yes, again.

His tennis writing was gorgeous, for lack of a better term.

He was, by far, the writer who spoke to me in the best way. Which may say something about both of us for better or worse.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#46 » by buckboy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:24 am

FrieAaron wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:Some of my favorites:

Dracula - Bram Stoker
The Iliad - Homer
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
A Storm of Swords - George RR Martin
The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien
The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Curious how book 4 of a 7 book series makes the list? Why not just list The Dark Tower series?

Same as "A Storm of Swords," I just think they're the best in their series by a large margin. The King one specifically can almost be read stand-alone, but just went with single novels rather than throwing in series.

Is "Wizard and Glass" the flashback one where Roland is a teenager?

If so, I agree. And I'm pretty sure that's the one. Best book in the series.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,064

Post#47 » by FrieAaron » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:08 am

buckboy wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
Shoot it FatBoy wrote:
Curious how book 4 of a 7 book series makes the list? Why not just list The Dark Tower series?

Same as "A Storm of Swords," I just think they're the best in their series by a large margin. The King one specifically can almost be read stand-alone, but just went with single novels rather than throwing in series.

Is "Wizard and Glass" the flashback one where Roland is a teenager?

If so, I agree. And I'm pretty sure that's the one. Best book in the series.

Yep, that's the one. I enjoy the entire series but I love that book.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,709

Post#48 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Anybody read Dune? I have it on my Kindle but have yet to pull the trigger.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#49 » by truly » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:30 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:Anybody read Dune? I have it on my Kindle but have yet to pull the trigger.

Great book.Haven't read the rest though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Beorn
Sixth Man
And1: 807

Post#50 » by Beorn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Have read the first 3 novels. they are really good. I paused reading somewhere in the middle of the 4th, will continue at some point.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#51 » by buckboy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:20 am

Read several of them 35 years ago. Enjoyed them quite a bit. I couldn't really tell you which ones.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#52 » by DrWood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:42 am

The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#53 » by DrWood » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:46 am

Probably the last "great" book I've read is "Inland" by Tea Obreht. It's a Western, but probably not like any western you've ever read.
Before that "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders. The story about the death of Lincoln's son and its aftermath.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#54 » by AussieBuck » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:48 am

I have no idea why but I haven't managed to pick up any fiction for years. I remember reading 1984 on a flight ages ago, can't remember reading anything since. Will pick up something from the lot mentioned in this thread and see if I can get back into the game.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,642

Post#55 » by chonestown » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:55 pm

DrWood wrote:The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,220

Post#56 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:15 pm

AussieBuck wrote:I have no idea why but I haven't managed to pick up any fiction for years. I remember reading 1984 on a flight ages ago, can't remember reading anything since. Will pick up something from the lot mentioned in this thread and see if I can get back into the game.

I like to read a mix of fiction and non fiction. Sometimes I want to learn, sometimes I want to be entertained.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#57 » by buckboy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:50 pm

DrWood wrote:The thing that pisses me off about DFW the most is that he hanged himself so I can't find him and beat the crap out of him for inflicting the world with that self-indulgent piece of crap that is Infinite Jest.

Eh. He probably would've whipped your ass anyway.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#58 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:42 am

Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#59 » by AussieBuck » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 am

Chuck Diesel wrote:Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.

We're not snobs here Chuck, comic books are still books.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#60 » by Chuck Diesel » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:57 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Just gonna be vulnerable for a second here- I’ve never actually read a book but you all have inspired me. Can’t wait to get started with some of these recommendations.

We're not snobs here Chuck, comic books are still books.

The only super heroes in my life are Slovenian journeymen centers.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks