ImageImage

NBA Re-Open Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Re: NBA Re-Open Thread 

Post#181 » by skones » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:I like the Marvin/Ersan bench lineup too.

Marvin looked very comfortable yesterday which was good to see.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#182 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Steven Adams looking spry as hell. His giant body needed that rest. Would still love him as a future Buck.

Very likeable but I don't see it unless he can shoot the 3 (and I think that's a stretch - pun intended). Also Giannis should play more and more center. Considering that it doesn't make too much sense to invest big into center imo.

To me that's the single biggest question heading into the playoffs: is Bud going to unleash the Bucks version of the death lineup (other than, you know, their starting lineup) and play Giannis at the five. If the Bucks get bounced and we don't see that a significant amount I'm gonna be incredibly pissed forever.

I also hope we adress this in the off-season. I feel like we don't have enough high level options to play Giannis extensively at the 5 in the POs. Any lineup with Williams or Ersan is a serious drop in quality over Lopez and lineups with Middleton at the 4 are quite small. Hopefully we can add a quality option that can play the 4 without giving up too much size/rebounding.

I'm kinda singling in on Millsap here cause he would be an ideal addition to our roster and should be attainable with his ties to Bud. But there may also be younger options out there I'm not thinking off. Anyway a big part of our MLE should be reserved to adress that imo giving no major changes to the roster (or we could be shopping our pick to fill the hole).
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#183 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Very likeable but I don't see it unless he can shoot the 3 (and I think that's a stretch - pun intended). Also Giannis should play more and more center. Considering that it doesn't make too much sense to invest big into center imo.

To me that's the single biggest question heading into the playoffs: is Bud going to unleash the Bucks version of the death lineup (other than, you know, their starting lineup) and play Giannis at the five. If the Bucks get bounced and we don't see that a significant amount I'm gonna be incredibly pissed forever.

I already have a lot of anxiety when I see Marvin used to plug Giannis' defensive PF spot while he's sitting rather than playing them together. Hoping it's a holding it back for the playoffs thing and they are working that lineup a lot in practice.

Maybe I'm underselling Marvin but I don't think he's as impactful as (probably either) Lopez, Hill or Donte. Ideally we should find a higher quality option to replace Marvin's and Ersan's role on the roster.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#184 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:54 pm

If only Bud didn’t believe in some “narrative” about DJ Wilson not being good enough to see the floor. :wink:
skones
RealGM

Post#185 » by skones » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:56 pm

LuessiT wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I already have a lot of anxiety when I see Marvin used to plug Giannis' defensive PF spot while he's sitting rather than playing them together. Hoping it's a holding it back for the playoffs thing and they are working that lineup a lot in practice.

Maybe I'm underselling Marvin but I don't think he's as impactful as (probably either) Lopez, Hill or Donte. Ideally we should find a higher quality option to replace Marvin's and Ersan's role on the roster.

Those guys cost money we don't have unfortunately.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#186 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:01 pm

LuessiT wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Agreed that we should find our next four and soon, but I do think you're underselling Marvin. Lopez is obviously fantastic and in certain matchups he can feast on smaller defenders when guys like Bam and Embiid are covering Giannis. But Marvin is a really great four next to Giannis. Stretches the court, mobile enough to handle switches, lengthy and smart defender.

My hope is we land on the PF version of Donte in the draft, whatever that looks like. Athletic, high energy, smart, has a jumper.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#187 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Would be huge to get Marvin back on the minimum. Thank that’s possible if he and his family don’t hate living in Milwaukee.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#188 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:07 pm

skones wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I already have a lot of anxiety when I see Marvin used to plug Giannis' defensive PF spot while he's sitting rather than playing them together. Hoping it's a holding it back for the playoffs thing and they are working that lineup a lot in practice.

We have the MLE/tax-MLE and the BAE. Right now with how the cap is projected I'm assuming we lose Ersan (waived), Marvin, Pat, Sterling (all expiring/QO not extended) while Wes and Lopez opt in.
The MLE and even the tax MLE should be plenty for a quality player on a ring chasery discount given that there shouldn't be a lot of money around.I feel like we're in a very comfortable position going in the off-season assuming we run it back.
The years after will be tough though. Assuming Giannis signs the supermax we're looking at huge tax payments given his salary explosion and all the backloaded contracts. But that is still quite far away.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#189 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:10 pm

skones wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Sixers are looking scary. Really hope they can stay in that 3/6 bracket.

I don't see the Pacers holding them off

Especially now with Sabonis out.

This injury probably seals it, but it was very unlikely Philly was going to stay at 6 because their schedule is really easy. They've got 5 games against sub .500 teams. The only team they play with an appreciably better record than them is Toronto. If Philly stays at 6, before the injury and especially now, its going to show a level of weakness that makes me very dismissive of them as a viable threat to the Bucks
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#190 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:28 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Steven Adams looking spry as hell. His giant body needed that rest. Would still love him as a future Buck.

Disagree. When Brook’s time is through I don’t think we’re going to find an exact replica of what he does on both ends. I’d happily settle for what Adams brings on defensive and as a screen setting Giannis bodyguard for 20-25 minutes. Bud can adapt.

Maybe I lied:

https://streamable.com/0ddavp
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#191 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:32 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Disagree. When Brook’s time is through I don’t think we’re going to find an exact replica of what he does on both ends. I’d happily settle for what Adams brings on defensive and as a screen setting Giannis bodyguard for 20-25 minutes. Bud can adapt.

Maybe I lied:

I’ve said this before but I don’t think it’s unreasonable he becomes a guy who at least starts taking threes. Nobody would have seen it with Robin Lopez a few years ago. Adams is and has always been much better than Robin.
skones
RealGM

Post#192 » by skones » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 pm

LuessiT wrote:
skones wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

We have the MLE/tax-MLE and the BAE. Right now with how the cap is projected I'm assuming we lose Ersan (waived), Marvin, Pat, Sterling (all expiring/QO not extended) while Wes and Lopez opt in.
The MLE and even the tax MLE should be plenty for a quality player on a ring chasery discount given that there shouldn't be a lot of money around.I feel like we're in a very comfortable position going in the off-season assuming we run it back.
The years after will be tough though. Assuming Giannis signs the supermax we're looking at huge tax payments given his salary explosion and all the backloaded contracts. But that is still quite far away.

Take a look at the free agents list. There's just not a whole lot better than Marvin, and paying money for those that are available would be dumb. I guess it comes down to team building philosophy. I don't view the Marvin/Ersan role as particularly pivotal, I don't view next season in a vacuum as I'd be trying to build an extended window around Giannis and a long term championship caliber program. I don't think we can afford to spend extra money on a relatively limited role.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#193 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:43 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

Maybe I lied:

I’ve said this before but I don’t think it’s unreasonable he becomes a guy who at least starts taking threes. Nobody would have seen it with Robin Lopez a few years ago. Adams is and has always been much better than Robin.

Like there is no way he takes that shot on the first possession 10 seconds into the shot clock if he hasn't had success with it. Just given his previous track record there was no indication for me that he'd ever develope a 3. But apparently he's at least been working on it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#194 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:52 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Maybe I lied:

Like there is no way he takes that shot on the first possession 10 seconds into the shot clock if he hasn't had success with it. Just given his previous track record there was no indication for me that he'd ever develope a 3. But apparently he's at least been working on it.

He actually talked about it in his book a few years ago, which was a great read. He works really hard on expanding his game but doesn’t feel comfortable showing it in games until he’s confident it will help the team.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#195 » by LuessiT » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:00 pm

skones wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
skones wrote:

Take a look at the free agents list. There's just not a whole lot better than Marvin, and paying money for those that are available would be dumb. I guess it comes down to team building philosophy. I don't view the Marvin/Ersan role as particularly pivotal, I don't view next season in a vacuum as I'd be trying to build an extended window around Giannis and a long term championship caliber program. I don't think we can afford to spend extra money on a relatively limited role.

Oh I'm definately for bringing Marvin back. Imo he's significant upgrade over Ersan. I just listed him as outgoing because he's got no further contract with the Bucks (same with Pat who I also would love to have on a minimum deal).
I just want to avoid giving him (part) of the MLE. Imo next off-season the MLE probably gets you a high level player with how the cap is projected. I'm looking at Millsap (multi year MLE could be enough), Gallo (could opt to prefer competitiveness over money but probably stays with OKC for the best of both), Marcus Morris (probably stays with the Clippers), Jerami Grant, Bertans, Dunn & Melton e.g.. There are also a bunch of partially/unguaranteed players that I'm not going to speculate on who might hit the market.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM

Post#196 » by Chuck Diesel » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:11 pm

I’m biased and full of recency bias coming off the TBT championship but I really think we could do much worse than Jamil Wilson on a minimum deal. Strong stretch big who plays within himself. Long time pro at 29 who was jettisoned from the league right before he signed with the Lakers after a solid start to his NBA career with the Clippers (his 2 way eligibility was set to expire) for a really unfortunate situation where he apparently failed to disclose an STD to a partner, who sued him for sexual battery and fraud. I believe the Milwaukee native deserves a second chance.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#197 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:33 am

So Lou Will left the campus to go party? I don’t think he should be allowed to play if that’s true.
#FreeChuckDiesel
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,251

Post#198 » by FlagsFlyForever » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:36 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:So Lou Will left the campus to go party? I don’t think he should be allowed to play if that’s true.

I hope the NBA comes down hard on him but it seems like it could be hard to prove. Lou claims he left to attend a funeral (which may be true). The person who posted the photo of Lou at the strip club claims it was an old photo. Lou himself said it was indeed from last night but he only stopped in to pick up some food.
Read on Twitter
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,832

Post#199 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:56 am

I would take Marvin back but either Giannis signs the extension and we find another ring chaser (someone will get bought out) or we start to rebuild. No reason to give those guys more than year either way.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,588

Post#200 » by tski1972 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:09 am

ElPeregrino wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:So Lou Will left the campus to go party? I don’t think he should be allowed to play if that’s true.

I hope the NBA comes down hard on him but it seems like it could be hard to prove. Lou claims he left to attend a funeral (which may be true). The person who posted the photo of Lou at the strip club claims it was an old photo. Lou himself said it was indeed from last night but he only stopped in to pick up some food.

Wait a minute....he was picking up food from a strip club?
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes

Return to Milwaukee Bucks