ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tout court
Freshman
And1: 58

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V2.0 

Post#3441 » by tout court » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:37 am

Apologies if this has been discusses/addressed before, but besides Doornekamp, have there been, historically, any other CIS products who have played in the Euroleague?
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#3442 » by frumble » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:10 pm

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#3443 » by mojo13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Bit of move down for Phil Scrubb after a disapointing season at Movistar (ACB).

Thomas Scrubb signs w/ JL Bourg of the French Pro-A. Tommy had a pretty good 19/20 season in the Pro-A (& FIBA BCL) with Strasbourg, averaging 11.5 points and 4.5 rebounds pg. This looks like a move up for Scrubb as 20/21 will be Bourg’s (and Tommy’s) inaugural EuroCup season.

Finally Tyler Ennis signing in Europe. I’m a little disappointed it wasn’t a EuroLeague team like Maccabi, but I’d expect the payday to be similar or even higher if he chose Turk Telecom over a EL offer. Even better? He’s joining Kyle Wiltjer & will make a potent offensive combo.

Also worth noting Sam Dekker and Michael Eric recently signed with Turk Telecom. They have a solid roster and will move up from a middling team in the Turkish BSL and should challenge for a FIBA BCL title.

If they decide to play, Kyle Wiltjer and Tyler Ennis would likely be focal points for the Canadian SMNT in the Victoria Qualifier next year, assuming the NBA is still in-season. It’s good to see they will have a season together in Turkey to work on their chemistry.

And finally the CEBL kicks off tomorrow - here is a good prep read for it.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/cebl/basketball-cebl-summer-series-restart-1.5659687

Catch games on the CBC and CBC Online. Niagra v Hamilton should be a good game to kick things off tomorrow. Lots of big names playing.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3444 » by mojo13 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:13 pm

tout court wrote:Apologies if this has been discusses/addressed before, but besides Doornekamp, have there been, historically, any other CIS products who have played in the Euroleague?

To address this I believe the answer is no, at least in the modern era. To me that is the last 10 years or so when I can not recall another CIS guy that made it to the EuroLeague. But my knowledge on this may only go back to 2010 or so, and perhaps it happened before that when the EuroLeague was not as closed out and competitive. Or back so far when the EuroLeague wasnt close to the same competion eit is today even though it had the same name. It was a FIBA competition pre-2000.
See the history here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroLeague

But for the life of me I cant think of names to try to research. But I'm guessing that is not your question and you are thinking about the modern era. The last 20 years?

But the modern CIS stars with the most success in Europe has been Klassen, Johnny B, Kaza Keane, Aaron Best, the Scrubbs and none of them have got near the EuroLeague yet. Who else would have come close?

Canadian EuroLeague guys in the last decade that I can think of include
Doornekamp
Pangos
Birch
Dyshawn Pierre
Olivier Hanlan
Tyler Ennis
Dylan Ennis
Rautins
Stauskas
Wiltjer
Bennett

The last 7 there not having much of an impact (or just a short stint from injuries or what not). And Pierre has yet to play.

Oh snap! Did I just learn that Aaron Doornekamp is the greatest CIS player of all time?!?
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#3445 » by Hair Canada » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 pm

Here's an early observation: SGA came back from the break stronger and he looks like he put on a couple of extra pounds of muscle. Should definitely help him finish in the pain with contact.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,451

Post#3446 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:13 am

Hair Canada wrote:Here's an early observation: SGA came back from the break stronger and he looks like he put on a couple of extra pounds of muscle. Should definitely help him finish in the pain with contact.

SGA looks fantastic and he just keeps getting better and better. I do hope that OKC moves on from Chris Paul and maybe Schroeder soon, though. I know SGA credits Paul with helping him quite a bit this year, and it's always good to have veteran mentors, but I'm a little worried that his passing and playmaking isn't going to develop as much as it could when those roles are usually taken by Paul or Schroeder, and he almost always shares the court with at least one of them.

This is just a little thing, because he's going to be a great player no matter what happens. I just hope he gets the chance to develop the PG aspect of his game more in the next couple of years. It's an interesting system they run in OKC, because even though they have those three players, they have the 3rd worst team assist % in the league.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3447 » by Hair Canada » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:15 am

Two upsets in the opening games of the CEBL, with the two apparent favorites, Ottawa and Hamilton, losing their first game. For Hamilton, it's perhaps not that surprising, as they faced a strong team in Niagra with Trae Bell-Haynes, Kassius Robertson, and Daniel Mullings. Hamilton was also missing some of the strong roster that was listed for them. Ottawa with the Scrubb brothers
and Hanalan (very weak game) losing to Guelph by 18 was certainly surprising though. Didn't see that coming. I didn't watch the game so not sure what went on. Seems like it was close till the fourth. Anyway, all in all, seems like a good development, as I was worried that this is going to be a clear two-horse race.

Anyone watched the games and had some impressions?
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3448 » by mojo13 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 am

Hair Canada wrote:Two upsets in the opening games of the CEBL, with the two apparent favorites, Ottawa and Hamilton, losing their first game. For Hamilton, it's perhaps not that surprising, as they faced a strong team in Niagra with Trae Bell-Haynes, Kassius Robertson, and Daniel Mullings. Hamilton was also missing some of the strong roster that was listed for them. Ottawa with the Scrubb brothers
and Hanalan (very weak game) losing to Guelph by 18 was certainly surprising though. Didn't see that coming. I didn't watch the game so not sure what went on. Seems like it was close till the fourth. Anyway, all in all, seems like a good development, as I was worried that this is going to be a clear two-horse race.

Anyone watched the games and had some impressions?

Niagara looked better from the get go than Hamilton. Kassius Robertson looked really good and Mullings had a great game.
Supposedly Mikyle McIntosh, who I thought would be one p of the better players in the league, had a conflict with his pro contract and is out. Justin Jackson apparently never made it to camp either. But don’t know why. Two big names for Hamilton.

Only watched the first half of Ottawa. They have no bench and no real PG. they get young fast and and don’t have much size either.
Losing kaza keane really hurts. Johnny B, Phil Scrubb and Hanlan are all combo guards at best - none facilitating PGs and all seem redundant. Hanlan Seems only effective as a scoring PG and doesn’t do much as an off guard. They will still be good, but I certainly got carried away with the big names and was not in tune to roster construction, coaching, chemistry etc.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3449 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:01 pm

It was just a scrimmage game, but Kelly Olynyk with a 27-8-2 game against Rudy Gobert and the Jazz last night. I really hope we get to see him in the Olympics before he's too old to be a major contributor with the team. I can already see the "Kelly Olympic" headlines after a big performance in a key game against Serbia or Spain or something.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#3450 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:25 pm

mojo13 wrote:
tout court wrote:Apologies if this has been discusses/addressed before, but besides Doornekamp, have there been, historically, any other CIS products who have played in the Euroleague?

To address this I believe the answer is no, at least in the modern era. To me that is the last 10 years or so when I can not recall another CIS guy that made it to the EuroLeague. But my knowledge on this may only go back to 2010 or so, and perhaps it happened before that when the EuroLeague was not as closed out and competitive. Or back so far when the EuroLeague wasnt close to the same competion eit is today even though it had the same name. It was a FIBA competition pre-2000.
See the history here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroLeague

But for the life of me I cant think of names to try to research. But I'm guessing that is not your question and you are thinking about the modern era. The last 20 years?

But the modern CIS stars with the most success in Europe has been Klassen, Johnny B, Kaza Keane, Aaron Best, the Scrubbs and none of them have got near the EuroLeague yet. Who else would have come close?

Canadian EuroLeague guys in the last decade that I can think of include
Doornekamp
Pangos
Birch
Dyshawn Pierre
Olivier Hanlan
Tyler Ennis
Dylan Ennis
Rautins
Stauskas
Wiltjer
Bennett

The last 7 there not having much of an impact (or just a short stint from injuries or what not). And Pierre has yet to play.

Oh snap! Did I just learn that Aaron Doornekamp is the greatest CIS player of all time?!?

There were some Canadians that played in FIBA EuroLeague.....

Lars Hansen
(1980-81) - I believe he was the first Canadian to play in EuroLeague, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanasis Kappos
(1982-83, 1984-85) - known in Canada as "Tom Kappos"

Greg Wiltjer
(1987-88, 1988-89) - Kyle's father

Bill Wennington

(1991-92)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1992.roundID_1044.teamID_1315.playerID_11697.html

(1992-93)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1993.roundID_2564.playerID_11697.teamID_1315.html

Giannis (Gioannis) Giannoulis

(1994-95)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1995.roundID_2566.playerID_16661.teamID_1003.html

(1997-98)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1998.roundID_2569.playerID_16661.teamID_1003.html

(1998-99)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1999.roundID_2570.playerID_16661.teamID_1003.html

(1999-00)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_2000.roundID_2571.playerID_16661.teamID_1003.html

Giannis (Gioannis) Giannoulis also played in the current competition

(2000-01, 2001-02, 2006-07, 2008-09)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=AIH#!careerstats

Maybe there were more Canadians that played in FIBA EuroLeague, but that's all that I know of.

Some other Canadians that played in the EuroLeague Basketball (current league) I can think of:

Peter Van Elswyk
(2000-01)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=ALL#!careerstats

Sherman Hamilton
(2001-02)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=BBG#!careerstats

Levon Kendall
(2008-09, 2009-10)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=000393#!careerstats

Carl English
(2009-10)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=000416#!careerstats

Stefan Jankovic
(2017-18)

https://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=007961#!careerstats

I don't know if any of them went to CIS, but hopefully that helps to figure it out.

Also, Andrew Wiggins' dad Mitchell Wiggins played in FIBA EuroLeague with Panionios, when he was playing in Greece. I know his dad is American, but he was playing in EuroLeague at that time, and Andrew lived with him in Greece for the first few years of his life. So maybe Andrew has a little bit of EuroLeague blood in him.

Mitchell Wiggins
(1996-97)

http://www.fibaeurope.com/compID_,Uz02qBnJiADOq5VntEf53.season_1997.roundID_2568.playerID_16213.teamID_1002.html
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#3451 » by frumble » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 am

AJ Lawson to withdraw from the draft and will be going back to South Carolina for his junior season.

https://www.wrdw.com/2020/07/29/lawson-to-withdraw-name-from-nba-draft/
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#3452 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:00 am

frumble wrote:AJ Lawson to withdraw from the draft and will be going back to South Carolina for his junior season.

https://www.wrdw.com/2020/07/29/lawson-to-withdraw-name-from-nba-draft/

It's hard to say if this is a good move or not. In any other year I would say that he isn't ready and it's a smart decision. But is there any guarantee that South Carolina will even be playing next year? Must be really hard for any of these guys to make decisions about their future these days.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3453 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:36 pm

Elijah Mitrou-Long signed with Greek club PAOK Thessaloniki. They already have Nondas Papantoniou, Apollon Tsochlas, and Jermaine Love at the guard positions. So, probably about 20 minutes of playing time. That assumes that they don't keep Bobby Brown. If they do, then there might be less playing time.

PAOK isn't playing in a Pan European competition this season though. So he will only be playing in Greek League.

So anyway, he will play just in Greek League and Greek Cup. Which means playing once a week, for most of the season. With 2 practices a day on the off days. So a great opportunity to improve his game and skills.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3454 » by mojo13 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:16 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Elijah Mitrou-Long signed with Greek club PAOK Thessaloniki. They already have Nondas Papantoniou, Apollon Tsochlas, and Jermaine Love at the guard positions. So, probably about 20 minutes of playing time. That assumes that they don't keep Bobby Brown. If they do, then there might be less playing time.

PAOK isn't playing in a Pan European competition this season though. So he will only be playing in Greek League.

So anyway, he will play just in Greek League and Greek Cup. Which means playing once a week, for most of the season. With 2 practices a day on the off days. So a great opportunity to improve his game and skills.

When I first saw this announcement on Twitter I had a double take thinking it was Naz. The rumors of Naz tied to Greek teams seem to fire up every summer. I didn't follow Elijah Mitrou-Long much at UNLV as I didn't think he was that good. I'm sort of surprised his first signing in Europe is with PAOK and the Greek league. Thought it would be a lower level to start.

Mirotic - you think he is getting favorable status because of his "Greek heritage". Is he playing on a Greek passport?
mojo13
Veteran

Post#3455 » by mojo13 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:18 pm

Isiaha Mike just signed with NINERS Chemnitz (BBL). Decent level for him to start at and I guess that means he is thinking he won't be drafted. But it looks like he is keeping his name in the draft (or waiting to decide later). He proibably has an NBA out, and making sure he will be playing somewhere in the fall.

I really think he could fill an NBA role in time and is certainly someone worth keeping an eye on.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3456 » by BilboBanginz » Tue Aug 4, 2020 1:02 pm

Nate Darling is keeping his name in the draft. I Imagine that this may be because he doesn't have a lot of faith in the NCAA having a season next year, and he's already missed one season due to transfer and probably thinks he has a better chance playing next season in either the G-League or overseas. Also I believe with the new rule he can return to school if he goes undrafted?

Overall I think he is a better prospect than Wigginton, and has a decent chance of becoming the first Nova Scotian in the NBA, but maybe after a year or two in the G-League/Europe.

Also, ESPN has updated their Best Available top-100. Karim Mane is 59th and Darling is 93rd.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer

Post#3457 » by Hair Canada » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:14 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Nate Darling is keeping his name in the draft. I Imagine that this may be because he doesn't have a lot of faith in the NCAA having a season next year, and he's already missed one season due to transfer and probably thinks he has a better chance playing next season in either the G-League or overseas. Also I believe with the new rule he can return to school if he goes undrafted?

Overall I think he is a better prospect than Wigginton, and has a decent chance of becoming the first Nova Scotian in the NBA, but maybe after a year or two in the G-League/Europe.

Also, ESPN has updated their Best Available top-100. Karim Mane is 59th and Darling is 93rd.

I'm with you on Nate as a better prospect than Wigginton (I'm quite completely off Wiggy, after watching his in a variety of environments, including some pro basketball now; that poor decision making will be his doing, especially when coupled with unstable shooting). Still not sure Darling has NBA-level talent though. A nice player in Europe seems like a more realistic result for him.

Mane remains our only realistic hope for keeping the Canadian draft sequence. It's certainly a toss.
— Steve Nash
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#3458 » by BilboBanginz » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:36 pm

Sam Vecenie wrote a little bit on Darling's decision to stay in the draft

https://theathletic.com/1966426/2020/08/03/2020-nba-draft-early-entry-deadline-decision-tracker-with-analysis/?source=emp_shared_article

Nate Darling, W, Delaware | Vecenie Big Board Rank: NR (for now) | Decision: Staying in 2020 NBA Draft

Darling has been a sneaky real prospect all season in the CAA, the third of which in that league who will likely end up on my final top-100 list. For those unacquainted, he’s a 6-foot-5 shooter out of Canada who started his career at UAB, and has blossomed in his time with the Blue Hens.

He averaged 21 points per game this year, while morphing into one of the most feared shooters in college basketball. He’s made over 40 percent of his 400-plus attempts over the last two years he’s played (having sat out the 2018-19 year after transferring). Over his final 12 games, he averaged over 24 points while shooting an absurd 47.6/43.0/90.5 line. With teams all over the NBA looking for the next Duncan Robinson, Darling stands out as a real option. And he’s someone who actually has a bit more ball creation skill than guys like him typically get credit for. He can play in pick-and-roll, and he finished at the rim at a high level this season.

I wasn’t sure what his intentions were, so I chose to rank older players who guys near the bottom of my rankings. But he’s deserving of being there. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him be on a two-way contract next season. It’s not out of the question that he could be picked in the draft on such a deal with a team ahead of time. If not in America, I think he has a high-level European career ahead of him. The shooter-plus skill set is one that fits everywhere worldwide, and given that Darling has been in college for four years and turns 22 later this month, it’s a total reasonable decision for him to be ready to start his pro career.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#3459 » by will » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:14 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:Sam Vecenie wrote a little bit on Darling's decision to stay in the draft

https://theathletic.com/1966426/2020/08/03/2020-nba-draft-early-entry-deadline-decision-tracker-with-analysis/?source=emp_shared_article

Nate Darling, W, Delaware | Vecenie Big Board Rank: NR (for now) | Decision: Staying in 2020 NBA Draft

Darling has been a sneaky real prospect all season in the CAA, the third of which in that league who will likely end up on my final top-100 list. For those unacquainted, he’s a 6-foot-5 shooter out of Canada who started his career at UAB, and has blossomed in his time with the Blue Hens.

He averaged 21 points per game this year, while morphing into one of the most feared shooters in college basketball. He’s made over 40 percent of his 400-plus attempts over the last two years he’s played (having sat out the 2018-19 year after transferring). Over his final 12 games, he averaged over 24 points while shooting an absurd 47.6/43.0/90.5 line. With teams all over the NBA looking for the next Duncan Robinson, Darling stands out as a real option. And he’s someone who actually has a bit more ball creation skill than guys like him typically get credit for. He can play in pick-and-roll, and he finished at the rim at a high level this season.

I wasn’t sure what his intentions were, so I chose to rank older players who guys near the bottom of my rankings. But he’s deserving of being there. I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him be on a two-way contract next season. It’s not out of the question that he could be picked in the draft on such a deal with a team ahead of time. If not in America, I think he has a high-level European career ahead of him. The shooter-plus skill set is one that fits everywhere worldwide, and given that Darling has been in college for four years and turns 22 later this month, it’s a total reasonable decision for him to be ready to start his pro career.

Like Carl English?
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#3460 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:22 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:Elijah Mitrou-Long signed with Greek club PAOK Thessaloniki. They already have Nondas Papantoniou, Apollon Tsochlas, and Jermaine Love at the guard positions. So, probably about 20 minutes of playing time. That assumes that they don't keep Bobby Brown. If they do, then there might be less playing time.

When I first saw this announcement on Twitter I had a double take thinking it was Naz. The rumors of Naz tied to Greek teams seem to fire up every summer. I didn't follow Elijah Mitrou-Long much at UNLV as I didn't think he was that good. I'm sort of surprised his first signing in Europe is with PAOK and the Greek league. Thought it would be a lower level to start.

Mirotic - you think he is getting favorable status because of his "Greek heritage". Is he playing on a Greek passport?

Yeah, he should be counted as Greek, since he was reported as having gone through the process of getting citizenship.

I would have to wait to see all of their signings before I could say if he got special consideration because of his nationality status. As of right now, it looks like he's going to be their backup point guard, behind Nondas Papantoniou, if Bobby Brown leaves. Apollon Tsochlas left the team to go to Olympiacos, and they also signed Malcolm Griffin. So their current guard rotation looks like this:

PG Nondas Papantoniou / Elijah Mitrou-Long
SG Jermaine Love / Malcolm Griffin

Return to Toronto Raptors