Image ImageImage Image

OT? Thibs to NY Knicks on 5 year deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

OT? Thibs to NY Knicks on 5 year deal 

Post#1 » by Darius Miles Davis » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter

He's back in the league. Also, perhaps it's relevant that the coaching candidates that we were rumored to be looking at are still on the market after this hire.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Re: OT? Thibs to NY Knicks on 5 year deal 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:28 pm

Thought it was funny that they quoted that they'll be counting on his success with player development.

I think Thibs is a good coach, but I don't know that I'd rank player development as one of his key strengths. Young players seem to often wilt under Thibs and rarely get much burn on the court.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BungalowBill
Sophomore
And1: 130

Post#3 » by BungalowBill » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:40 pm

Thibs can do well with young teams if he’s got a surrogate on the roster to help model what his type of work ethic is supposed to look like. With the Bulls, it hands down was Taj. With the TWolves, it was Taj. With the Knicks, it will be...lol, oh wait. Yep. TAJ.

They’ll be fine. Probably should make the playoffs as an 8th seed next year.
The artist formerly known as anorexorcism
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,025

Post#4 » by coldfish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:42 pm

dougthonus wrote:Thought it was funny that they quoted that they'll be counting on his success with player development.

I think Thibs is a good coach, but I don't know that I'd rank player development as one of his key strengths. Young players seem to often wilt under Thibs and rarely get much burn on the court.

Thibs had Rose, Noah, Butler, Gibson and a few other players blossom under him. Players that suck don't get to play but its not like McDermott went on to light the world on fire after leaving Thibs.

Compared to other coaches, I would say that Thibs has a fantastic batting average. Fans frequently decide that their pet cat is a stud and the only thing holding him back is the coach but the reality is that most draft picks don't work out.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#5 » by FriedRise » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:44 pm

Thibs about to get Jo, DRose, and Jimmy to play with Taj in NY.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#6 » by MrSparkle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:46 pm

I actually think this move will (for the first time in 2+ decades) actually pan out alright for NYK. I'll add that Dolan and Thibs will undoubtedly have some kind of massive meltdown by year 3, but it'll be more Dolan's fault than anybody's.

I think Thibs will be happy to work with this NYK roster. It is more his type of build than the Wolves were (soft, high-usage, iso scorers). He likes tough paint presence, and Taj, Robinson, Randle fit that. Portis is a bad defender but he's also crazy/tough. Thibs is gonna be able to yell at these guys and they'll take it.

I also think he might help Dennis Smith Jr. turn it around. Every time Thibs has had a scoring PG, whether it was MVP Rose, Nate, DJ, Lucas III, CJ, out-the-league Rose or really washed up Teague... he's given the keys to them, and basically had them play beyond their worth and gotten their confidence up. I think he likes the ball in a scoring guard's hands, and entrusts them to make things happen for everybody. PGs tend to trust him. The only guy that didn't mesh was Dunn, and we can agree he hasn't been a competent offensive player in the NBA. DSJ is talented, but he hit a miserable rock bottom; perfect type of guy for Thibs to rebuild. He CAN dribble the ball and score around the rim.

Question is who they draft. Or do the Knicks/Bulls work out a draft night trade ala Wolves? :lol:
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#7 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:50 pm

I am more interested in seeing the players they begin to bring in through the draft. Thibs is a good coach but talent is paramount to getting that franchise back to respectable.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#8 » by HomoSapien » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:55 pm

coldfish wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Thought it was funny that they quoted that they'll be counting on his success with player development.

Thibs had Rose, Noah, Butler, Gibson and a few other players blossom under him. Players that suck don't get to play but its not like McDermott went on to light the world on fire after leaving Thibs.

Compared to other coaches, I would say that Thibs has a fantastic batting average. Fans frequently decide that their pet cat is a stud and the only thing holding him back is the coach but the reality is that most draft picks don't work out.

Just came in to say this. Player development is one of his biggest strengths. This is the first time in decades that I’ve been jealous of the Knicks.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#9 » by MrFortune3 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:00 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
coldfish wrote:

Just came in to say this. Player development is one of his biggest strengths. This is the first time in decades that I’ve been jealous of the Knicks.

Minnesota made people forget.
KeithBoothfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 198

Post#10 » by KeithBoothfan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Should be interesting. Young players who are ready to work their arses off do fine with Thibs. Players that can't or won't put in the work Thibs demands, or just can't play the way he wants them to (which I think was McDermott's problem, and Snell's too to some degree - he's just naturally passive I think - more than work ethic) will languish. But that's just how he operates. Kinda like how players either thrived or melted down as MJ's teammates back in the good old days.

I'm interested to see if Thibs is able to adapt his systems and in-game tactics to how the league has changed. He's stubborn, but can be pragmatic too. The defensive scheme he used in Boston and with us needs a refresh, and he will need to be creative with his personnel on offense.

I'd wish him good luck, but he's gonna be coaching the Knicks, so...no, can't do it.
Can I borrow a feeling?

Care for a ViciousFlogging? I'm your guy!
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#11 » by VolumePoster » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Here come the Knicks. They'll be respectable in short order. Meanwhile the Boil continues to drive us into the cellar.

Infuriating.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,478

Post#12 » by Flopper » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:06 pm

It will be hilariously sad if the Bulls end up keeping the poor man's Tom Thibodeau when the actual one and numerous other qualified candidates are on the market.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#13 » by Susan » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:23 pm

Jiimmy Butler? Niko got 20 mpg as a rookie on a very deep team. Derrick took steps forward with Thibs.

Sorry he couldn't do anything with Teague or Dougie McGarbage.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#14 » by drosereturn » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:34 pm

Thibs is exactly what the Bulls need. Tough minded and 24hr focused in an era where people are going to clubs.
Not only Bulls lack talent they lack discipline.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:39 pm

coldfish wrote:Thibs had Rose, Noah, Butler, Gibson and a few other players blossom under him. Players that suck don't get to play but its not like McDermott went on to light the world on fire after leaving Thibs.

Noah was basically who he was the year before Thibs got there. Gibson only played a year pre-Thibs but had an excellent rookie season as well. Both of those guys also had extended college careers. I don't think Thibs did anything to develop either.

Rose obviously took off big time when Thibs arrived. Whether you want to credit that to Thibs or not is perhaps a stretch, but I will say that I'd give Thibs some credit for improving Rose's defense.

Maybe could also give him credit for finding ways to use Asik.

Also, it took four years for Jimmy Butler to break out, largely because Thibs felt it necessary to play Deng a gazillion minutes a night and kept other scrubs ahead of him in the rotation, and Butler continued to get better post Thibs. He absolutely destroyed Kris Dunn, whom seemed to be a better player immediately after Thibs wasn't his coach. Same was probably true of LaVine, but LaVine also was at the point where that was pretty natural.

I think its hard to give Thibs (or any coach really) credit or blame for how good a player is, we never really know if a guy would have been better or worse in a different situation, and development is primarily the responsibility of the player. What we do know is that Thibs has a faster hook and lower tolerance for rookies playing poorly than other coaches. The one singular thing a coach might do to help a player grow is manage playing time well, and I'd say Thibs historically is really light on minutes for guys that need to develop.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#16 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Susan wrote:Jiimmy Butler? Niko got 20 mpg as a rookie on a very deep team. Derrick took steps forward with Thibs.

Sorry he couldn't do anything with Teague or Dougie McGarbage.

Took four years to see what Butler had, and Butler got much better once Thibs was gone. Niko was 23 his rookie year and was possibly the best player in Europe the year he came over and didn't improve while he was here. How did he develop under Thibs?
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:Minnesota made people forget.

I think five years of Hoiberg/Boylen made people forget that Thibs yanked young players extremely fast and never let them play through mistakes. It was a fairly consistent complaint in his era.
@doug_thonus on twitter
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#18 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 pm

Knicks have better coach than Bulls. I am already sick to my stomach.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#19 » by drosereturn » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:51 pm

With the talent level Bulls have, wouldnt be shocked if the Knicks had a better win column with their promising young core esp if they snag Lamelo from the Bulls as their starting pg.
At the end of the day, its two foolish mega franchises trying to steal money from the fans but at least Knicks show some heart esp from the owner from his willingness to spend.
If the owner is an idiot and not trying to spend at all, thats literally the worst owner your can ask for.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,346

Post#20 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Thibs is going to need at least a year or two because he doesnt have alot of talent to work with.

He will also look to grab whatever seasoned veteran out there that he feels confident with. If not, RJ Barrett better be prepared to play 38+ minutes a night next year.
The Cult of Personality

Return to Chicago Bulls