ImageImageImage

Basketball cards!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,044

Basketball cards! 

Post#1 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:00 am

So during this lockdown i decided i need a hobby because i didn't have sports.

So i thought why not basketball cards!?

I just learned they are back in style! and they produce hobby boxes that are EXPENSIVE AS ****. but you can get some cool cards because they are expensive and rare.

I bought a box for $650 and happened to get a rare rookie Ja Morant its like between 900-3k bucks. Not really sure because im new to this.

Boxes are fun but i dont always have that much to spend.... so sometimes i look just for individual cards.

I just bought a cam Johnson auto rookie card for 30 bucks because no matter what I think he is going to have an awesome career in the NBA and hit some big shots and for the price its not a bad gamble imo.

Next up I want to get a Tyler Herro before he gets to expensive. I think he will be a good player as well. But i need to save a nit more for that.

Still need to buy good booker/Ayton Rookie cards but they are a little out of my price range at least atm.

Well if anyone wants to talk basketball cards lets do it here! Im still new but ive learned some stuff if anyone has questions. And its actually super fun if anyone wants to start getting into it. I felt like a kid again when i was opening packs.

Basketball cards the way it seems to me now is safer than the stock market and your investment is way more fun to watch!

8-) 8-) 8-)

Oh also if anyone has some good ideas for some good buy low sleeper cards id love any hot tips!
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Re: Basketball cards! 

Post#2 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:30 pm

TL;DR: I collect too, and congrats on the hot Ja!

I got into collecting in the fall of 2018. I had collected as a kid but quit after all my cards were stolen. I was pretty shocked that by the time I re-entered, the hobby was suddenly becoming popular again. It made sense to me when it had gone out of style the first time: we're talking about cardboard, after all. But if you were buying packs in 2013 when no one gave a ****, you'd be rich from all your Giannis rookies. Low demand meant low supply back then. Now that demand has increased, there are way too few Giannis rookies to go around. No box of cards from 2013 cost more than any one of the base Giannis RCs you were sure to find inside.

If you want rookie cards of all your favorite Suns, the hardest (modern) one to get your hands on will be Dragic's. Why Dragic? He came into the league while the hobby was dead, dead, dead. Very few cards were printed his rookie year, so they're all expensive, despite being nothing but base cards. Pretty strange that you can get shiny, signed Amare and Marion rookies for lower prices than base Dragic rookies.

$650 for a box?!? Yeesh I'm priced out my man. I was still making money last year so I bought a box of Prizm for $125 IIRC. Didn't get any big hits - and yet, just the base rookies I pulled more than paid for the box (sadly, no Doncic, but Trae's base Prizm goes for $80). In fact, almost every pack I bought in 2018 yielded cards with value in excess of what I paid. Quite different from what was going on in the 90s, where you simply never made your money back. Now, of course, those old cards ARE worth something, but on one condition: they're graded, and they're PSA 9 or higher. The difference in value between graded and ungraded 90s cards is simply staggering.

As far as hot tips... a lot of hobby enthusiasts are talking Kevin Porter Jr. these days. Some other young players (other than Zion/Doncic/Morant) drawing interest from collectors are Reddish, Coby White, Michael Porter Jr. and Thybulle. It's interesting how players' values are usually related to, but not dependent upon, the quality of the player, e.g., Stockton and Malone were never valuable, despite being all-time greats. Barkley's cards have increased in value due to his media presence (so I may never be able to afford a signed Barkley). Penny Hardaway is still far more valuable to collectors than his place in basketball history merits - prices are sticky that way.

Personally, I only collect the Suns. I plan on starting to sell some of my non-Suns cards to finance my Suns acquisitions. My holy grails are the Steve Nash rookie Autographics and rookie Bowman's Best atomic refractor: the latter I may be able to snag one of these days. The former? Unlikely. Currently, I also have very little hope of ever getting my hands on a Devin Booker rookie Prizm, as it's just too expensive considering my lukewarm Booker fandom. Surely I'll never own his silver Prizm RC.

I may post some pics of what I've got on here one of these days... You know, Mikal Bridges cards are significantly less expensive than Cam Johnson cards ATM. You could build a substantial RC signatures collection of Bridges without spending a lot of cash. Ayton's pretty expensive (rightly so). Ty Jerome is cheap, but if the history of PG's drafted by the Suns is any indication, his cards will only continue to decrease in value (Tyler Ennis, Tyler Ulis... what is with us drafting all the Ty's? Will it be Maxey or Haliburton this year??).

FWIW, all the SSOL rookie cards are also fairly inexpensive: Amare, Shawn and Leandro are all very cheap to collect. And yet, you want Penny or Shaq in Suns unis, you'll have to pay for it.

Sadly... and I know I'm ranting here... I was looking to pick up some old Cliff Robinson inserts, as I think he's got a real good case for being one of the most underrated Suns of all time. But there just aren't a whole lot of quality Cliff cards. I'm not a huge fan of the Ultra platinum medallion cards despite their rarity. I'm on the lookout for an old finest gold #/100 for both Cliff and Rex. Maybe Rodney Rogers as well. Honestly, it's pretty nice being just a Suns collector, because our players aren't as expensive as others, so I can afford the more beautiful cards. If Ayton was priced like Doncic or Zion, I wouldn't be able to afford him. I'd have to buy packs just to grab his cards.

Finally, as far as current products go, I don't know if there's any way to get bang for your buck unless you're willing to invest thousands of dollars (to ensure you pull the big Zion or Morant). Prices have increased, like - IDK, at least double, but maybe triple or more - just this year alone. We're obviously in a bubble, which is why I'm inclined to buy as much as I sell. For long-term value, you'll want to stick with Prizm and Optic. This year's Mosaic will probably maintain value as well. I think Select is just as nice as Prizm but the cards go for a lot less for whatever reason.

Edit: Anyways, I'm no expert! Just a fellow collector. I'm buying singles this year, but man, ripping packs is just so much fun. Congrats on the big pull, m8!
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#3 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:14 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Spoiler:
TL;DR: I collect too, and congrats on the hot Ja!

I got into collecting in the fall of 2018. I had collected as a kid but quit after all my cards were stolen. I was pretty shocked that by the time I re-entered, the hobby was suddenly becoming popular again. It made sense to me when it had gone out of style the first time: we're talking about cardboard, after all. But if you were buying packs in 2013 when no one gave a ****, you'd be rich from all your Giannis rookies. Low demand meant low supply back then. Now that demand has increased, there are way too few Giannis rookies to go around. No box of cards from 2013 cost more than any one of the base Giannis RCs you were sure to find inside.

If you want rookie cards of all your favorite Suns, the hardest (modern) one to get your hands on will be Dragic's. Why Dragic? He came into the league while the hobby was dead, dead, dead. Very few cards were printed his rookie year, so they're all expensive, despite being nothing but base cards. Pretty strange that you can get shiny, signed Amare and Marion rookies for lower prices than base Dragic rookies.

$650 for a box?!? Yeesh I'm priced out my man. I was still making money last year so I bought a box of Prizm for $125 IIRC. Didn't get any big hits - and yet, just the base rookies I pulled more than paid for the box (sadly, no Doncic, but Trae's base Prizm goes for $80). In fact, almost every pack I bought in 2018 yielded cards with value in excess of what I paid. Quite different from what was going on in the 90s, where you simply never made your money back. Now, of course, those old cards ARE worth something, but on one condition: they're graded, and they're PSA 9 or higher. The difference in value between graded and ungraded 90s cards is simply staggering.

As far as hot tips... a lot of hobby enthusiasts are talking Kevin Porter Jr. these days. Some other young players (other than Zion/Doncic/Morant) drawing interest from collectors are Reddish, Coby White, Michael Porter Jr. and Thybulle. It's interesting how players' values are usually related to, but not dependent upon, the quality of the player, e.g., Stockton and Malone were never valuable, despite being all-time greats. Barkley's cards have increased in value due to his media presence (so I may never be able to afford a signed Barkley). Penny Hardaway is still far more valuable to collectors than his place in basketball history merits - prices are sticky that way.

Personally, I only collect the Suns. I plan on starting to sell some of my non-Suns cards to finance my Suns acquisitions. My holy grails are the Steve Nash rookie Autographics and rookie Bowman's Best atomic refractor: the latter I may be able to snag one of these days. The former? Unlikely. Currently, I also have very little hope of ever getting my hands on a Devin Booker rookie Prizm, as it's just too expensive considering my lukewarm Booker fandom. Surely I'll never own his silver Prizm RC.

I may post some pics of what I've got on here one of these days... You know, Mikal Bridges cards are significantly less expensive than Cam Johnson cards ATM. You could build a substantial RC signatures collection of Bridges without spending a lot of cash. Ayton's pretty expensive (rightly so). Ty Jerome is cheap, but if the history of PG's drafted by the Suns is any indication, his cards will only continue to decrease in value (Tyler Ennis, Tyler Ulis... what is with us drafting all the Ty's? Will it be Maxey or Haliburton this year??).

FWIW, all the SSOL rookie cards are also fairly inexpensive: Amare, Shawn and Leandro are all very cheap to collect. And yet, you want Penny or Shaq in Suns unis, you'll have to pay for it.

Sadly... and I know I'm ranting here... I was looking to pick up some old Cliff Robinson inserts, as I think he's got a real good case for being one of the most underrated Suns of all time. But there just aren't a whole lot of quality Cliff cards. I'm not a huge fan of the Ultra platinum medallion cards despite their rarity. I'm on the lookout for an old finest gold #/100 for both Cliff and Rex. Maybe Rodney Rogers as well. Honestly, it's pretty nice being just a Suns collector, because our players aren't as expensive as others, so I can afford the more beautiful cards. If Ayton was priced like Doncic or Zion, I wouldn't be able to afford him. I'd have to buy packs just to grab his cards.

Finally, as far as current products go, I don't know if there's any way to get bang for your buck unless you're willing to invest thousands of dollars (to ensure you pull the big Zion or Morant). Prices have increased, like - IDK, at least double, but maybe triple or more - just this year alone. We're obviously in a bubble, which is why I'm inclined to buy as much as I sell. For long-term value, you'll want to stick with Prizm and Optic. This year's Mosaic will probably maintain value as well. I think Select is just as nice as Prizm but the cards go for a lot less for whatever reason.

Edit: Anyways, I'm no expert! Just a fellow collector. I'm buying singles this year, but man, ripping packs is just so much fun. Congrats on the big pull, m8!

Yeah im going to try to do both. I just ordered a court kings booster box from 18-19 even though ill prob get nothing but like you said ripping open the packs is tons of fun lol. But also wanna mix the singles in to build on my own collection!
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#4 » by cberry78 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 pm

I used to collect, a long, long, long, time ago.....I wonder if i can find my old autographed Negele Knight rookie card.

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:53 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:So during this lockdown i decided i need a hobby because i didn't have sports.

I just learned they are back in style! and they produce hobby boxes that are EXPENSIVE AS ****. but you can get some cool cards because they are expensive and rare.

I bought a box for $650 and happened to get a rare rookie Ja Morant its like between 900-3k bucks. Not really sure because im new to this.

Boxes are fun but i dont always have that much to spend.... so sometimes i look just for individual cards.

I just bought a cam Johnson auto rookie card for 30 bucks because no matter what I think he is going to have an awesome career in the NBA and hit some big shots and for the price its not a bad gamble imo.

Next up I want to get a Tyler Herro before he gets to expensive. I think he will be a good player as well. But i need to save a nit more for that.

Still need to buy good booker/Ayton Rookie cards but they are a little out of my price range at least atm.

Well if anyone wants to talk basketball cards lets do it here! Im still new but ive learned some stuff if anyone has questions. And its actually super fun if anyone wants to start getting into it. I felt like a kid again when i was opening packs.

Basketball cards the way it seems to me now is safer than the stock market and your investment is way more fun to watch!

8-) 8-) 8-)

Oh also if anyone has some good ideas for some good buy low sleeper cards id love any hot tips!

Where the heck are you getting these cards? I have a TON of Suns cards. I bought someone's huge collection that goes way back on ebay a few years back. I also have Booker and Ayton rookie cards.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:03 pm

Spoiler:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:TL;DR: I collect too, and congrats on the hot Ja!

I didn't even realize the values had gone back up. I got back into it again 4-5 years ago but was finding stuff for dirt cheap on ebay and and other places.

My biggest boneheaded move ever when I was a little kid was what I did with this card. https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/cards/larry-bird-julius-erving-magic-johnson-card-sells

Look at that card...those cards had three players on each one, and they had perforations between them on each card, and I sorted my cards by team as a little kid, so.....

Very boneheaded move - but why the hell were these even perforated to begin with?
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#7 » by SlovenianDragon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
SlovenianDragon wrote:So during this lockdown i decided i need a hobby because i didn't have sports.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Where the heck are you getting these cards? I have a TON of Suns cards. I bought someone's huge collection that goes way back on ebay a few years back. I also have Booker and Ayton rookie cards.

So im new to this so i have been going to Arizona Trading Cards & Collectibles to support local business. the store is super cool and employees are super helpful.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/ is where i go to buy factory sealed boxes.

And then for single cards you just have to trust the seller on ebay.

oh and then obviously https://www.paniniamerica.net/2019-20-panini-spectra-nba-trading-cards-hobby.html

The company that makes every basketball card. they have a new set coming out in like 5 days? No idea how much it cost but its going to sell out fast whatever it is.

I might try to save up in the next five days and buy it if its in my price range when it comes out.

Court kings was 100 dollars when it released on panini every1 bought up the stock and then started selling the boxes for around 350
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:21 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

8-) 8-) 8-)

So im new to this so i have been going to Arizona Trading Cards & Collectibles to support local business. the store is super cool and employees are super helpful.

oh and then obviously https://www.paniniamerica.net/2019-20-panini-spectra-nba-trading-cards-hobby.html

The company that makes every basketball card. they have a new set coming out in like 5 days? No idea how much it cost but its going to sell out fast whatever it is.

I might try to save up in the next five days and buy it if its in my price range when it comes out.

Court kings was 100 dollars when it released on panini every1 bought up the stock and then started selling the boxes for around 350

I have some of complete sets, but mostly those are NFL, like the class with Aikman, Deion, Barry Sanders, etc. I think I have one or more of those Booker rookies you guys are talking about, but I bought them on ebay like 3 years ago at dirt cheap prices. I got those at some place near Peoria or maybe Cactus and 28th Ave though. They may have been closing so were getting rid of things, but can't remember for sure. It was during Chriss, Bender and Ulis' rookie class, so a while back. I even have a souvenir cup with the three of them on it...actually drinking out of it right now. I laugh looking at it.

I also find great complete collections at Ebay, that often have some great cards, like an Earl Campbell rookie. A lot of times with those I get baseball and football cards though. I have a huge collection of Suns specific cards though too...mainly probably the Nash era all the way back to the beginning. None of these were near the proces
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#9 » by cberry78 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

I have some of complete sets, but mostly those are NFL, like the class with Aikman, Deion, Barry Sanders, etc. I think I have one or more of those Booker rookies you guys are talking about, but I bought them on ebay like 3 years ago at dirt cheap prices. I got those at some place near Peoria or maybe Cactus and 28th Ave though. They may have been closing so were getting rid of things, but can't remember for sure. It was during Chriss, Bender and Ulis' rookie class, so a while back. I even have a souvenir cup with the three of them on it...actually drinking out of it right now. I laugh looking at it.

I also find great complete collections at Ebay, that often have some great cards, like an Earl Campbell rookie. A lot of times with those I get baseball and football cards though. I have a huge collection of Suns specific cards though too...mainly probably the Nash era all the way back to the beginning. None of these were near the proces

Cactus and 28th, still there I think (at least it was pre-Covid). I was delivering pizza's in that neighborhood up until recently.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#10 » by nevetsov » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:19 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:TL;DR: I collect too, and congrats on the hot Ja!

The irony of starting a post with TL;DR and then following up with that monolith ;)
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#11 » by SlovenianDragon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 pm

Hey guys not that anyone cares but I pulled a zion and AD card out of a mosaic box both are worth about 200-400 Bucks atm. So I'm pretty pumped. 8-)

Anyways it looks like i need to get a Bridges card quick before he gets to expensive. Could have a breakout year next season. :D

Actually now that i think about it...I dont have a single Mikal card. IM SLACKING.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#12 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:07 pm

As a coda to this discussion... I'm in the process of selling most of my collection. The prices are just too high. Never thought I'd come out of this with a profit, but here I am, easily tripling what I paid - even after all the shipping costs - while maintaining a healthy (free) PC to boot.

I went back over that Suns reddit post where the security guard was dishing on the FO and players... hadn't caught his discussion of Ayton the first time around. Seems pretty clear that the kid will never reach his potential. I'm jumping ship on all of his awesome RCs I acquired before the bubble bursts.

To illustrate the mania. I bought a Devin Booker base Select RC about a year and a half ago for $5, shipping included. Sold it a couple weeks ago for $165. Basketball cards are like Tesla stock all of a sudden. Speaking of which, anybody got any Steve Nash Topps RCs? You know, those basic white border MFs that were mass produced in the tens of thousands? Cuz each one is now worth $20+. I understand it not.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#13 » by PerkinsFor3 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:26 pm

650 usd for a box? Welcome to another white rich kids hobby. That's nuts.
josephcurrency
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#14 » by josephcurrency » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:19 am

My biggest issue is the cards I like the best tend to be the most worthless and ridiculous — I remember having multiple copies of both those Wesley Person underwater and Elliot Perry in a tub of socks cards.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#15 » by SlovenianDragon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:650 usd for a box? Welcome to another white rich kids hobby. That's nuts.

Basketball cards have nothing to do with race.

But if you want to see how expensive it is check this out:

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/basketball-cards/2019-20.html?boxstyle=25&dir=desc&order=price

650 is cheap lol
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#16 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:34 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:
PerkinsFor3 wrote:650 usd for a box? Welcome to another white rich kids hobby. That's nuts.

https://www.blowoutcards.com/sports-cards/basketball-cards/2019-20.html?boxstyle=25&dir=desc&order=price

650 is cheap lol

Unfortunately, access to wealth does.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:28 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:

650 is cheap lol

Unfortunately, access to wealth does.

I am white and would never pay that much for cards. I have a huge collection but bought them when prices were down. I should go through them now though.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach

Post#18 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:54 pm

Bought myself a Christmas gift 8-)

wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#19 » by wheezy » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:45 am

SlovenianDragon wrote:Bought myself a Christmas gift 8-)

Nice
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Basketball trading cards 

Post#20 » by sasquatchBob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:27 pm

There already was a thread about this but I couldn't find it, so I ask here.

Lately I read news headlines that people are selling basketball cards for crazy money. I remember that some of you are involved in this too. Can you educate me about what packs are worth to buy? I wanna get lucky and be able to sell something years later for big money! :D

Return to Phoenix Suns