Scrim #3: Portland vs OKC 3pm

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Scrim #3: Portland vs OKC 3pm 

Post#1 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:07 pm

Final scrimmage. I wonder if Stotts will tighten things up and play a more normal rotation or will continue to test different looks.

Go Blazers! Lets win every game from here on out.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Re: Scrim #3: Portland vs OKC 3pm 

Post#2 » by Matt800 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:44 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Final scrimmage. I wonder if Stotts will tighten things up and play a more normal rotation or will continue to test different looks.

Go Blazers! Lets win every game from here on out.

I wonder if Lillard will be healthy. The foot inflammation is a bit concerning. Feet aren't always the easiest to fix. If it is just a contusion like situation from getting an impact, that might not be that serious. But if it is inflammation from stress over time that could take time to fix, and he might be dealing with it as a chronic issue for the rest of the season.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 534

Post#3 » by Goldbum » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 pm

I know its unlikely but I would love to see Little come in and put the league on notice. Hit a couple 3's change the game on defense... IDK what it looks like but I can totally see him crushing it... or flaming out and disappearing i to the back half of the rotation.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#4 » by Matt800 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Goldbum wrote:I know its unlikely but I would love to see Little come in and put the league on notice. Hit a couple 3's change the game on defense... IDK what it looks like but I can totally see him crushing it... or flaming out and disappearing i to the back half of the rotation.

Looking at his game log he didn't put up much in terms of numbers in his more recent games, but in Feb/Jan he had a 6 game stretch of 5-10ppg, with some rebounds and 6-12 from 3 point. I could see him having moments of decent defense and hitting 3s. He's probably too inexperienced to not be a liability at times though.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#5 » by Blazinaway » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 pm

No Dame No CJ, Nas, Whiteside, Collins restricted minutes
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#6 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Jaylen Adams is looking horrible! Ant and Zach look great though. I like Darius Bazely on the Thunder too.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#7 » by monopoman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:32 pm

Blazinaway wrote:No Dame No CJ, Nas, Whiteside, Collins restricted minutes

I think both teams are done for the most part with using their best players in games like this. Typical of the last pre-season game of the season in a normal regular season.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 pm

Adams has an impressively bad -24 on / off right now. Wowza.

Its hard to get excited about the young guns getting hot on offense when they just give it right back up on defense. I like the OKC youngins, they play with much more defensive urgency than our kids. Dort would probably be our best non-big defender by a country mile if he was on this squad right now.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#9 » by Goldbum » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:13 am

This is why I want Ant playing the 2. A guy like Cole Anthony playing along side Simmons could be a fun combo off the bench.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#10 » by zzaj » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:38 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Adams has an impressively bad -24 on / off right now. Wowza.

Its hard to get excited about the young guns getting hot on offense when they just give it right back up on defense. I like the OKC youngins, they play with much more defensive urgency than our kids. Dort would probably be our best non-big defender by a country mile if he was on this squad right now.

Yeah, I mentioned it elsewhere but I don't really see anything special about the young Blazer players. Simons seems to have an ability to score in 1v1 situations, Gabriel seems long, Trent can play some heady basketball at times, Hoard and Little have a bit of all around game too...all of that is fine if you need 3rd stringers or low minute bench players. Every single one of them wouldn't get big minutes on a contending team. They all have some pretty big issues defensively.

Now, these are glorified SL games, so I don't think it's possible to really draw much from them, but if Simons is expected to fill CJ's shoes he's got a long way to go...

I expect the Blazers perimeter defense to be among the worst in the league, and that's a bad sign since the NBA is trending outward not inward.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#11 » by d-train » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:27 am

That was an ugly effort.
d-train
RealGM

Post#12 » by d-train » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 am

The next one counts, right? Blazers will need to play awesome to get get 5 wins. That won't be enough. Pelicans can be awful and win 6 games off their schedule.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,400

Post#13 » by Blazinaway » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:17 pm

d-train wrote:The next one counts, right? Blazers will need to play awesome to get get 5 wins. That won't be enough. Pelicans can be awful and win 6 games off their schedule.

Yeah I am not very hopeful based on what I have seen, our D, especially perimeter D is just awful. Liked what I saw from Nurk and Zach but will we have enough cohesion/chemistry to play well from the get go like we have to? I have serious doubts as it looks like we need 10 games just to gel and get the guys playing together and well. And we have to have a 100% Dame who is really on his game to have a chance IMO and I have doubts on that, hope I am being too pessimistic
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 pm

When has doubting Dame ever worked out well?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#15 » by Goldbum » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 am

I really feel like we need to end the whole Nurkic+Whiteside on the court together strategy.

Whiteside + Gabriel works
Nurkic+Gabriel works
Whiteside+Collins works
Nurkic+Collins works
Collins + Gabriel works
Whiteside+Nurkic = disaster could occasionally be used when we desperately need an extra rebounder during a late game free-throw situation. Maybe when we are subbing offense defense during timeouts.
d-train
RealGM

Post#16 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 pm

JasonStern wrote:When has doubting Dame ever worked out well?

It depends on what you are doubting, right?
d-train
RealGM

Post#17 » by d-train » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 pm

zzaj wrote:I expect the Blazers perimeter defense to be among the worst in the league, and that's a bad sign since the NBA is trending outward not inward.

If the Blazers win, it will be because opponents were committed to trying to beating us from the outside. If Blazers lose, it will be because opponents did beat us from the outside. I like it. I like it if the best opponents can do, is beat us from the outside. It is hopeless if opponents can beat us from the inside.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#18 » by GEE » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:28 am

d-train wrote:
zzaj wrote:I expect the Blazers perimeter defense to be among the worst in the league, and that's a bad sign since the NBA is trending outward not inward.

If the Blazers win, it will be because opponents were committed to trying to beating us from the outside. If Blazers lose, it will be because opponents did beat us from the outside. I like it. I like it if the best opponents can do, is beat us from the outside. It is hopeless if opponents can beat us from the inside.

Damn... that's old-school. Thing is, our shooters are pretty good too. Who would you rather have as a shooter than DAME? ... Hood and CJ aren't too shabby either.

Funny how people have already poo-poo'd the Nurkic / Whiteside pairing, after having seen all of about 10 minutes of it. IMO, we will need this against the Lakers, and it just might work.
zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Post#19 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:16 pm

GEE wrote:
d-train wrote:

Damn... that's old-school. Thing is, our shooters are pretty good too. Who would you rather have as a shooter than DAME? ... Hood and CJ aren't too shabby either.

Funny how people have already poo-poo'd the Nurkic / Whiteside pairing, after having seen all of about 10 minutes of it. IMO, we will need this against the Lakers, and it just might work.

Quick, name me all the traditional Centers with big roles on contending teams...

And the Blazers have two that are somehow going to do something that no other team has done since Duncan/Robinson?

As Wiz would say, there may be some value in zigg-ing while others are zagg-ing, but as a big minute strategy long term, it’ll be too easy for opposing teams to take advantage.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers