ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 and 2021 Draft picks

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Re: 2020 and 2021 Draft picks 

Post#41 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:04 pm

TB wrote:Warriors aren't going to trade Wiggins for Gordon (not to mention giving up a pick too).

If we go after Gordon, it's going to be using the TPE. Example: Find a team with a 17m contract they want off the books and trade the TPE for it (maybe even get a 2nd rounder for it), then trade that player and a pick for Gordons 18m contract.

Only way Wiggins is going to be traded is if its needed to match someone in the 25+ million range (aka blockbuster deal where we are unloading all picks and future picks for a superstar).

Gordon’s not my first choice of targets, but would be palatable - as long as he’s not playing most of his time as a 3, which he’s shown to be ineffective doing. In other words, I don’t think Wiggins would be included in a deal, but a third team would be needed to bridge the salary (with Gordon ultimately going to the TPE slot, as follows):

Deal 1 (theoretical): Warriors trade rights to Utah’s 2nd round pick (slotted at #54 right now) to Minnesota for James Johnson, who is absorbed into the TPE.
Deal 2: Warriors trade Johnson + rights to their first-round pick to Orlando for Gordon + rights to Orlando’s first-round pick.

These deals would have to be agreed-to before the draft, and then when the Warriors drafted, it would be on Orlando’s behalf (and vice-versa).

So the ultimate “net” of the deal would be something like:
Warriors “in”: Gordon + Orlando’s draft pick
Warriors “out”: TPE + GSW’s first-round pick + Utah’s 2nd round pick (*)

(* - I’m assuming we’d have to throw some kind of small compensation to Minnesota to get Johnson, and am just estimating this as Utah’s 2nd round pick)

When this is all said and done, the Warriors would have a starting line-up of Curry/Klay/Wiggins/Draymond/Chriss (?), with Gordon being a super-sub who could also play 4/5 in a small-ball line-up.

Plus they’d have Orlando’s pick (maybe they could also try to move up a bit to snare Okongwu or Wiseman, if either dropped), the MLE available for a big (Baynes-ish?), and minimums to fill out the roster.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#42 » by TB » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:23 pm

The Maestro wrote:
TB wrote:Warriors aren't going to trade Wiggins for Gordon (not to mention giving up a pick too).

If we go after Gordon, it's going to be using the TPE. Example: Find a team with a 17m contract they want off the books and trade the TPE for it (maybe even get a 2nd rounder for it), then trade that player and a pick for Gordons 18m contract.

Only way Wiggins is going to be traded is if its needed to match someone in the 25+ million range (aka blockbuster deal where we are unloading all picks and future picks for a superstar).

I’m not seeing it. That move puts Green at C full time and they’re not gonna pay Wiggins and Gordon. Gordon is big enough and strong enough to guard LeBron and can play the 4 and small ball 5 if hey wanted. I think they’ll move Wiggins the first chance they get.

To me it puts Gordon or Wiggins as the 6th man, not Green at center. Except it allows them to close games with Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Gordon/Dray.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#43 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:42 pm

TB wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

I’m not seeing it. That move puts Green at C full time and they’re not gonna pay Wiggins and Gordon. Gordon is big enough and strong enough to guard LeBron and can play the 4 and small ball 5 if hey wanted. I think they’ll move Wiggins the first chance they get.

To me it puts Gordon or Wiggins as the 6th man, not Green at center. Except it allows them to close games with Steph/Klay/Wiggins/Gordon/Dray.

They’re not paying Wiggins $30 mil per year to come off the bench. And Gordon isn’t coming off the bench. They want Gordon and there’s no path to him without dumping Wiggins.
TB
General Manager

Post#44 » by TB » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:14 pm

The Maestro wrote:
TB wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

They’re not paying Wiggins $30 mil per year to come off the bench. And Gordon isn’t coming off the bench. They want Gordon and there’s no path to him without dumping Wiggins.

The TPE, mentioned in the post you quoted, is literally a path to getting Gordon without dumping Wiggins. And i'm not sure exactly what Gordon has done in this league that makes him too good to be a 6th man on a team trying to extend a dynasty. It's basically putting him in the Iggy role closing games.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#45 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 pm

Bleacher Report picks up on the Aaron Gordon rumor and details four teams that might try for him. The Warriors aren't one of them.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2902207-trade-packages-and-landing-spots-for-magic-star-aaron-gordon
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#46 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:38 pm

TB wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
TB wrote:

The TPE, mentioned in the post you quoted, is literally a path to getting Gordon without dumping Wiggins. And i'm not sure exactly what Gordon has done in this league that makes him too good to be a 6th man on a team trying to extend a dynasty. It's basically putting him in the Iggy role closing games.

They’re not bringing Gordon off the bench and they’re sure as hell not bringing Wiggins off the bench. If they go for Gordon they will try to dump Wiggins. Doesn’t mean they’ll pull it off but they will try.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#47 » by ShayDee » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:53 pm

Magic were extremely greedy with any deal involving Dlo and Gordon, why would they bite for Wiggins? and there wouldn't be a 3rd team involved because it would be extremely stupid for us to give 2 pciks away if the end price is Aaron Gordon? The magic are not letting him go without any above average compensation and not taking salary back
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#48 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:58 pm

It's amazing the level of certainty of some users here as to what will and will not happen.

Personally I don't know jack ... but I can speculate.
TB
General Manager

Post#49 » by TB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 pm

The Maestro wrote:
TB wrote:
The Maestro wrote:

They’re not bringing Gordon off the bench and they’re sure as hell not bringing Wiggins off the bench. If they go for Gordon they will try to dump Wiggins. Doesn’t mean they’ll pull it off but they will try.

We will have to agree to disagree :)

I don't think the front office will dump Wiggins for a marginal talent, and I don't think the front office thinks a 15-20m guy with TPE has to be a starter, that goes for Gordon, Smart, Oubre, etc.

Just have to wait and see I suppose.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#50 » by vagelis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Would you trade Green for Gordon? Who says no?
If Warriors draft Wiseman and trade Green for Gordon is that a good scenario? What do you think?
TB
General Manager

Post#51 » by TB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:03 pm

vagelis wrote:Would you trade Green for Gordon? Who says no?
If Warriors draft Wiseman and trade Green for Gordon is that a good scenario? What do you think?

I'd much rather have Draymond. He has been so important to everything the Warriors do during this run on both sides of the ball.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#52 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 pm

vagelis wrote:Would you trade Green for Gordon? Who says no?

My guess is that both teams would say no.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#53 » by B-King » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:40 am

The Maestro wrote:
B-King wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
It’s not their decision.

And the Warriors aren’t doing anything big until Giannis is off the table.

You can't pick for any team. Either you get the best fit or draft the best asset to work in or trade later. (Please no LeLamo Ball)

Any deal with Milwaukee could take up to a year and half to consummate. So you have to just wait and see what develops around the league.

The Philly situation will be interesting to watch. Simmons or Embid would be a great fit on the Warriors.

I meant it’s not the Buck’s decision if Giannis gets traded or not. If he tells them to trade him to GSW or he signs with Miami or Dallas next summer then they have no choice. Just like Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.

The Bucks have him under contract through next season. I am not saying they won’t trade him after this season, but they don’t have to. Milwaukee can wait to the 2021 trade deadline before moving him or risk losing him for nothing. Making our draft pick more about fit or flexibility specific to GSW and not the Bucks.

Return to Golden State Warriors