ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#321 » by patman66 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:00 pm

djFan71 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:Say MEM gets knocked out and we get 14. Couple trade up & get a vet ideas:

With CHI: 14, 26, 30, Kanter for #7 & Thad Young
With CHA: 14, 26, 30, Kanter for #8 & Cody Zeller

Finalized after picks are signed & people opt in depending on deal. We'd be a tax payer for sure on these.

There aren't that many vets out there to trade for, but either of those 2 would help up front more consistently than Kanter, imo. And you consolidate the picks. You're relying on the other teams going for more bites at the apple in a pretty flat draft. You could include Timelord if you think it's too heavily slanted our way. Or sneak Poirier in if you think the reverse. With 17, it's probably a little harder since it's not a lotto pick, but maybe possible.

Roster:
Kemba, Jaylen, Tatum, Hayward, Theis
Smart, Romeo, #7-8, GWill, (Thad / Zeller)
Timelord?

Then: Edwards, Poirier, Semi, Wanamaker, exception(s), Tacko, Waters grab bag.

I might keep Semi/Wana to have more vets unless I can sign a better one(s) for the vet min or taxpayer exception.
Not that worried about Waters/Tacko. If you love them, adjust the deck chairs at the end as need be.

Thad young is not worth the 20mill he is owed over the next two years. A sign an trade for Justin Holiday would be a much better use for 20 mill bucks. but I don't see why Indy would have any interest in Kanter at all with Turner, Sabonis and Badzke.

(based on hayward playing back at home for 3 years 85 at 25-28-31 )Now what would make more sense IMO, would be a Hayward, Kanter, Semi & Poirer, for Turner, Holiday s&t, and Young. We eat 20 mill of Young, they eat 8 mil of fluff, The S&T does not hurt them at all, and turner while excellent does not seem to pair well with Sabonis, while they are pleased with badzke.

The celts get a modern 5, and a wing that can give them 25min. This makes more sense if they have to move on from Dipo. I will probably be willing to part with the 30 if they swap out Dougie McB for Young.

That's kind of the point with Thad. He's overpaid. That and 3 picks gives CHI some incentive to give up #7. We consolidate, getter a higher upside pick, and still a moderate improvement over Kanter.

I'm all for the Turner/IND deals, but they've been discussed quite a bit going back to last summer, so I was just trying something different.

Yeah, I don't see either team moving off that pick for that, unless they get a starter back plus picks. There is talk about teams selling picks this year, which devalues the picks we have.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#322 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:26 pm

patman66 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
patman66 wrote:
Spoiler:

Thad young is not worth the 20mill he is owed over the next two years. A sign an trade for Justin Holiday would be a much better use for 20 mill bucks. but I don't see why Indy would have any interest in Kanter at all with Turner, Sabonis and Badzke.

(based on hayward playing back at home for 3 years 85 at 25-28-31 )Now what would make more sense IMO, would be a Hayward, Kanter, Semi & Poirer, for Turner, Holiday s&t, and Young. We eat 20 mill of Young, they eat 8 mil of fluff, The S&T does not hurt them at all, and turner while excellent does not seem to pair well with Sabonis, while they are pleased with badzke.

The celts get a modern 5, and a wing that can give them 25min. This makes more sense if they have to move on from Dipo. I will probably be willing to part with the 30 if they swap out Dougie McB for Young.

That's kind of the point with Thad. He's overpaid. That and 3 picks gives CHI some incentive to give up #7. We consolidate, getter a higher upside pick, and still a moderate improvement over Kanter.

I'm all for the Turner/IND deals, but they've been discussed quite a bit going back to last summer, so I was just trying something different.

Yeah, I don't see either team moving off that pick for that, unless they get a starter back plus picks. There is talk about teams selling picks this year, which devalues the picks we have.

Yeah, agreed, it's a long shot. But there's also talk of it being a flat draft and one where teams want to trade down. So, who knows? This is basically the Justice Winslow offer - which CHA has already turned down, lol.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#323 » by Ernest » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:20 pm

The hard truth is Ainge will be making calls about just about everyone this offseason almost no matter what happens. Hayward and Walker. Those are the big 2 contracts. What could we get. We've been looking at this about what we need to trade. The real question is who will someone pay a lot to get. We can all have our hopes as to who can't be traded and we can all be hurt.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,313

Post#324 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 pm

I've posted lots of cost cutting moves. If money ain't a thing this offseason, either because Wyc is willing to make it rain luxury tax dollars or they decide to just stay over one more year and then let Hayward walk next year, here are some veterans I like:

Nemanja Bjelica. He's a PF/C combo in SAC. We get by with Kanter so I think we can easily get by with him at the 5 for extended minutes. Big time stretch big shooter who would really help open up the floor. His shooting would be particularly important on the second unit opening up driving lanes since we lack offense. He has 1 year left on his deal at $7.15M. SAC is trying to compete so I think it'd be tough to pry him away without overpaying. But we have 3 picks so we're in solid position to make those type of "win now moves".

Tony Snell. He's a 40% shooter who plays solid defense on wing. He'd be an upgrade over Semi, though he's a 2/3 vs a 3/4 like Semi. His shooting would be a big improvement though. He has a bloated $12.2M expiring deal. DET has to use cap space (as opposed to bird rights) to keep Christian Wood so I imagine they'd be happy to move Snell just for lower cost expiring deals.

Trade #1: Semi Ojeleye, Carsen Edwards, Jevonte Green, #17 pick to SAC for Bjelica and #35
Trade #2: Kanter, Poirier to DET for Snell

Our rotation would be:

Kemba / Smart
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Snell
Tatum / G Williams
Theis / Bjelica / R Williams

Hopefully Langord can take a year 2 leap and be an offensive upgrade over Wanamaker on offense. The shooting of Snell/Bjelica vs Semi/Kanter would really open up the floor.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#325 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:28 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I've posted lots of cost cutting moves. If money ain't a thing this offseason, either because Wyc is willing to make it rain luxury tax dollars or they decide to just stay over one more year and then let Hayward walk next year, here are some veterans I like:

Nemanja Bjelica. He's a PF/C combo in SAC. We get by with Kanter so I think we can easily get by with him at the 5 for extended minutes. Big time stretch big shooter who would really help open up the floor. His shooting would be particularly important on the second unit opening up driving lanes since we lack offense. He has 1 year left on his deal at $7.15M. SAC is trying to compete so I think it'd be tough to pry him away without overpaying. But we have 3 picks so we're in solid position to make those type of "win now moves".

Tony Snell. He's a 40% shooter who plays solid defense on wing. He'd be an upgrade over Semi, though he's a 2/3 vs a 3/4 like Semi. His shooting would be a big improvement though. He has a bloated $12.2M expiring deal. DET has to use cap space (as opposed to bird rights) to keep Christian Wood so I imagine they'd be happy to move Snell just for lower cost expiring deals.

Trade #1: Semi Ojeleye, Carsen Edwards, Jevonte Green, #17 pick to SAC for Bjelica and #35
Trade #2: Kanter, Poirier to DET for Snell

Our rotation would be:

Kemba / Smart
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Snell
Tatum / G Williams
Theis / Bjelica / R Williams

Hopefully Langord can take a year 2 leap and be an offensive upgrade over Wanamaker on offense. The shooting of Snell/Bjelica vs Semi/Kanter would really open up the floor.

I was looking at both those 2 last night in my vet search. Both are pretty solid ideas, good post. I appreciate that your trades actually always work financially.

Snell seems feasible with your deal. I was trying to get him and their pick but it's just too high (#5) to think they'd move it for all our picks & salary.

Bjelica like you said would take an overpay. I'm torn on that one. Assuming they don't want him, you could remove Green and do it after signing #17. Also, I'd ask for a future 2nd instead of this year's. But, it's pretty close value and having some vets in with all the young guys would be nice. Probably one of those you'd have to wait and see who was left at 17 before you pull the trigger.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#326 » by djFan71 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:05 pm

A couple other vets I looked at but didn't fully flesh out deals for since they were lower on the list: Rudy Gay, Terrence Ross, Patty Mills, Corey Joseph, Aminu. Some you could get from the other teams just as salary dumps. The PGs I don't know we have enough PT to justify. Gay/Ross/Aminu I think could all be good 2nd unit guys. Assuming Aminu is healthy he could be useful, but will be valued as a salary dump for trades.

I'll probably get killed for it, but.... could you get 15/Aminu for 26/30/Edwards/Poirier (after signing the picks)?

Aminu's contract is bad enough you possibly could. You jeopardize any cap flexibility if Hayward opts in / leaves, though. But if he extends at a lower rate, that's out anyways. And you have him as trade ballast, if nothing else.

Then do the Snell trade above.

Kemba / Smart
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Snell
Tatum / Aminu
Theis / G Williams

R Williams, 15, 17
Any 1 or 2 of: Wanamaker / exception / Green / Tacko / Waters / 2nd rounder
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#327 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:18 am

30, Poirier, Edwards for Ish Smith could work as well.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#328 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:07 pm

Just for **** and giggles....giannis turns down the extension- bucks put him on the market, what if anything are u gonna offer for him?

He gives u no guarantees he’ll stay but he doesn’t completely kill the deal like AD did says he’ll have an open mind ....go
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#329 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:23 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Just for **** and giggles....giannis turns down the extension- bucks put him on the market, what if anything are u gonna offer for him?

He gives u no guarantees he’ll stay but he doesn’t completely kill the deal like AD did says he’ll have an open mind ....go

Any pick/player besides Tatum.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#330 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:25 pm

djFan71 wrote:30, Poirier, Edwards for Ish Smith could work as well.

Feels like we could just sign Augustne, Teague, etc. for the vet minimum. And then if the roster spots were an issue you could honestly just waive Poirier/Edwards and the dead money combined with a vet min deal would still be about the same $6M Ish Smith is making. And we keep the pick to add a rookie scale player.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#331 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:38 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:

Feels like we could just sign Augustne, Teague, etc. for the vet minimum. And then if the roster spots were an issue you could honestly just waive Poirier/Edwards and the dead money combined with a vet min deal would still be about the same $6M Ish Smith is making. And we keep the pick to add a rookie scale player.

Yeah, Reggie Jackson in that mix too, maybe. I think a guard who can break people down off the dribble would be a nice component to add to the bench. But, if you're not ducking the tax anyways, it's actually nice to have that $6M salary for the 2021 trade deadline. With that and Kanter you can be in the market for up to ~$16M to get a really solid guy for the playoffs (with picks/rook sweetener).

But... most likely we end up just making all the picks, picking up Semi, and adding Poirier to the Demetrius/Yabu dead money stretch club. Then figure out what we do with the new 2nd/Waters/Fall, if anything.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#332 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:41 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Just for **** and giggles....giannis turns down the extension- bucks put him on the market, what if anything are u gonna offer for him?

Beat me to it. ABT.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#333 » by Ernest » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:59 am

djFan71 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Beat me to it. ABT.

It'd really come down to how many teams actually have a shot to keep him? Trades are not about being fair like in a video game, they are about making the best deal another team can get. So no way to know unless you have some idea who you are bidding against.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#334 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:50 pm

Ernest wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Beat me to it. ABT.

It'd really come down to how many teams actually have a shot to keep him? Trades are not about being fair like in a video game, they are about making the best deal another team can get. So no way to know unless you have some idea who you are bidding against.

Thanks for the soliloquy on what a trade is......it’s giannis. Safe to say your bidding against against a lot of teams. Miami, golden state, Denver, knicks etc.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,906

Post#335 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:00 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Ernest wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Beat me to it. ABT.

Thanks for the soliloquy on what a trade is......it’s giannis. Safe to say your bidding against against a lot of teams. Miami, golden state, Denver, knicks etc.

Antetokounmpo isn't going anywhere. -- In fact, he'll likely spend most of his career in Milwaukee.
We could have Drafted him. But that boat has sailed. -- We just gotta beat the piss out of him, from now on.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#336 » by snowman » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:00 pm

I understand all the "Trade Hayward" post due to the cap issues that his contract brings. IMO, it will work it's self out with an extension next off season, after he opts in and plays out that year. Danny won't let him pull a Horford, and I don't think he would do that to Brad without full warning, and an opportunity to match if he did. So, with that being said, I think he showed why we need him in the game against the Bucks. When one of our guys (Kimba, Tatum or Brown) is not producing on a given night He and Smart are able to turn it up a notch. Neither of these 2 need to be the focal point, but can be when needed. To have this available as your 4th and 5th players, is something no other team has.

With that being said, I think (IMO) we need to move the roster spots 12-15:
Edwards, while he still has some value, if he still has any
Poirier, just don't see anything he provides that Tacko can't do as our 4th big
Green, very athletic, but no consistency on shot
Semi, I had forgot he was drafted the same draft as Tatum. Need to move him while he still has perceived value.

That's 7.4 mil in salary in 20/21 and another 1.8 (Edwards) in 21/22. Tacko can replace Poirier, and Waters can replace Edwards. Let's find a 1 for 4 trade and sweeten it with our picks and 1.8 mill in cash to move our bench in the right direction. Then we would have the 17th to replace the last spot.

How about Derick Rose 7.7 mil for 1 year, for Edwards, Poirier, Green, Semi and the 26th pick along with 1.8 mil cash to buy out Edwards last guaranteed year. Detroit only has 10 guys under contract next season, so a 4 for 1 wouldn't be a concern. They could just release who they don't want.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#337 » by patman66 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:49 pm

djFan71 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Yeah, Reggie Jackson in that mix too, maybe. I think a guard who can break people down off the dribble would be a nice component to add to the bench. But, if you're not ducking the tax anyways, it's actually nice to have that $6M salary for the 2021 trade deadline. With that and Kanter you can be in the market for up to ~$16M to get a really solid guy for the playoffs (with picks/rook sweetener).

But... most likely we end up just making all the picks, picking up Semi, and adding Poirier to the Demetrius/Yabu dead money stretch club. Then figure out what we do with the new 2nd/Waters/Fall, if anything.

I would be happy with a all reggie FA/trade this year both him and bullock.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,136

Post#338 » by Darthlukey » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:56 am

Does the Isaac injury mean no more AG trade rumours/ideas? Not in a bad way, i'm a big fan of some of those ideas. I just dont see the Magic moving him now. Unless they want to tank out a year again....
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,671

Post#339 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:59 am

snowman wrote:I understand all the "Trade Hayward" post due to the cap issues that his contract brings. IMO, it will work it's self out with an extension next off season, after he opts in and plays out that year. Danny won't let him pull a Horford, and I don't think he would do that to Brad without full warning, and an opportunity to match if he did. So, with that being said, I think he showed why we need him in the game against the Bucks. When one of our guys (Kimba, Tatum or Brown) is not producing on a given night He and Smart are able to turn it up a notch. Neither of these 2 need to be the focal point, but can be when needed. To have this available as your 4th and 5th players, is something no other team has.

Semi, I had forgot he was drafted the same draft as Tatum. Need to move him while he still has perceived value.

That's 7.4 mil in salary in 20/21 and another 1.8 (Edwards) in 21/22. Tacko can replace Poirier, and Waters can replace Edwards. Let's find a 1 for 4 trade and sweeten it with our picks and 1.8 mill in cash to move our bench in the right direction. Then we would have the 17th to replace the last spot.

How about Derick Rose 7.7 mil for 1 year, for Edwards, Poirier, Green, Semi and the 26th pick along with 1.8 mil cash to buy out Edwards last guaranteed year. Detroit only has 10 guys under contract next season, so a 4 for 1 wouldn't be a concern. They could just release who they don't want.

OK. In theory, a consolidation trade like that is great. But it means we're keeping the keepers, e.g:

Natural centers/bigs: Theis, Kanter, Time Lord, Tacko

Natural forwards: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Grant

Natural guards: Kemba, Smart, Langford, Waters

Could we really get somebody who'd earn significant minutes if all those other guys were staying?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#340 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:43 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
snowman wrote:I understand all the "Trade Hayward" post due to the cap issues that his contract brings. IMO, it will work it's self out with an extension next off season, after he opts in and plays out that year. Danny won't let him pull a Horford, and I don't think he would do that to Brad without full warning, and an opportunity to match if he did. So, with that being said, I think he showed why we need him in the game against the Bucks. When one of our guys (Kimba, Tatum or Brown) is not producing on a given night He and Smart are able to turn it up a notch. Neither of these 2 need to be the focal point, but can be when needed. To have this available as your 4th and 5th players, is something no other team has.

OK. In theory, a consolidation trade like that is great. But it means we're keeping the keepers, e.g:

Natural centers/bigs: Theis, Kanter, Time Lord, Tacko

Natural forwards: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Grant

Natural guards: Kemba, Smart, Langford, Waters

Could we really get somebody who'd earn significant minutes if all those other guys were staying?

Waters and Tacko are G-leaguers who have never had even a hint of sustained success at the NBA level. Langford hasn't had any success. Grant has been solid enough to play low minutes, nothing more. Time Lord has shown flashes but not consistent quality play in low minutes when he's even healthy enough to play.

All of those guys are young but if you remove blind allegiance to guys we drafted and want to see succeed, it shouldn't be very hard to find better players than those guys. That's not to say we should give them away because there is obviously room to grow. But it really wouldn't be difficult to land better players in trades or veteran signings. It's just about balancing future development with win now pieces.

Return to Boston Celtics