ImageImageImageImageImage

NBC Sports Bay Area

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,191

NBC Sports Bay Area 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:51 am

So in our cable bills, we've been paying the Sports fee for this channel. The fee has been growing every year.

I haven't been watching NBCS BA too much because obviously there hasn't been games.

I was checking out the program guide and yes they will broadcast Giants and A's games as well as have pre and post game shows.

But no more of the sports summary shows (I think they used to be called Sports Central).

ESPN doesn't show Bay Area teams that much, at least until the NFL season starts up and only if the 49ers are having a good season.

I don't read the NBCSBA website regularly but they seem to have all the same reporters and hosts who used to do the TV shows.

So they've been taking the cable TV money, been paying the on-air talent, but not producing any TV shows?

All they have are a lot of poker, infomercials and some old soccer games.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: NBC Sports Bay Area 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm

wco81 wrote:So in our cable bills, we've been paying the Sports fee for this channel. The fee has been growing every year.

I haven't been watching NBCS BA too much because obviously there hasn't been games.

I was checking out the program guide and yes they will broadcast Giants and A's games as well as have pre and post game shows.

But no more of the sports summary shows (I think they used to be called Sports Central).

ESPN doesn't show Bay Area teams that much, at least until the NFL season starts up and only if the 49ers are having a good season.

I don't read the NBCSBA website regularly but they seem to have all the same reporters and hosts who used to do the TV shows.

So they've been taking the cable TV money, been paying the on-air talent, but not producing any TV shows?

All they have are a lot of poker, infomercials and some old soccer games.

Sports TV is a scam. They are paying HUGE money to the leagues, they don't have any money to pay for other things. What's more their percentage of the cable bill has been climbing and climbing and in most markets the cable company doesn't allow people to opt out. The bay area teams don't have huge local TV contracts so be glad for that ... LA sports TV fees are much bigger, of course the teams also make a lot more money from local TV deals than anywhere else in the states too.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#3 » by Phase 3 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:45 pm

I’ve been considering dropping my directv package for some time and switching to a streaming service like YouTubeTV....

Piece of advice though...the last few times they raised the price, I’ve called directv and complained and threatened to leave. They’ve lowered my bill every time to a really low rate because I’ve been with them for about 10 years now. For that reason, I usually just stick with them because I prefer traditional TV(directv or Comcast cable) much more than the streaming options. The quality just isn’t the same with streaming imo.

Bottom line, call them up and try to renegotiate for a lower rate if you’re unhappy and don’t want to switch to streaming service just yet.
wco81
RealGM

Post#4 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeah you can negotiate decent fees or at least get them to back off from raising it to non-contract prices every year or so.

But it gets old and you see that sports are what's driving price increases every year.

Thing is, NBC Sports BA had the most coverage of local teams, especially when they're not a big national story like the Warriors this year or the 49ers until last year.

I haven't watched local news so I don't know where their coverage is.

But for the money they charge, they should put up more than pre and post-game shows, though I'm guessing their local version of SportsCenter probably didn't get big ratings.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Phase 3 wrote:I’ve been considering dropping my directv package for some time and switching to a streaming service like YouTubeTV....

Piece of advice though...the last few times they raised the price, I’ve called directv and complained and threatened to leave. They’ve lowered my bill every time to a really low rate because I’ve been with them for about 10 years now. For that reason, I usually just stick with them because I prefer traditional TV(directv or Comcast cable) much more than the streaming options. The quality just isn’t the same with streaming imo.

Bottom line, call them up and try to renegotiate for a lower rate if you’re unhappy and don’t want to switch to streaming service just yet.

My cable bill is nearing $200 a month which is insane. When I signed up it was $89 just 3 years ago. And they won't just lower the price for me.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 pm

Including or not including Internet?

Premium channels?

You have to be prepared to move to a competitor. I've been mostly on Comcast and they raised the price by like $40 when my contract ran out.

They didn't offer a new contract with enough of a discount so I went to AT&T Uverse, which is an inferior product, for a year.

Now back on Comcast on a 1-year contract.

I will see what happens. Was hoping for Home 5G to be rolled out but the virus killed not only sports but also 5G deployment.

That's apart from some nutters who think 5G towers are causing covid infections.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:29 pm

wco81 wrote:Including or not including Internet?

Premium channels?

You have to be prepared to move to a competitor. I've been mostly on Comcast and they raised the price by like $40 when my contract ran out.

They didn't offer a new contract with enough of a discount so I went to AT&T Uverse, which is an inferior product, for a year.

I will see what happens. Was hoping for Home 5G to be rolled out but the virus killed not only sports but also 5G deployment.

That's apart from some nutters who think 5G towers are causing covid infections.

No premium channels, it does include fast internet but that's just $40. My issue with their competitors is that nobody else competes CLOSE on internet speed in my area.

Maybe the answer really is just changing the provider every year.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#8 » by Phase 3 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Premium channels?

No premium channels, it does include fast internet but that's just $40. My issue with their competitors is that nobody else competes CLOSE on internet speed in my area.

I have directv(with some of the premium channels) and have Comcast for Internet. I pay a total of about $150 when combining the cost of the two separate services...not bad, but not great either.

I get directv in 3 rooms in my house so that probably raises the price a little more than someone who only has it in 1 room....but yeah, as soon as streaming catches up a little more, I’ll probably dump the traditional TV package.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 am

Phase 3 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Premium channels?

I have directv(with some of the premium channels) and have Comcast for Internet. I pay a total of about $150 when combining the cost of the two separate services...not bad, but not great either.

I get directv in 3 rooms in my house so that probably raises the price a little more than someone who only has it in 1 room....but yeah, as soon as streaming catches up a little more, I’ll probably dump the traditional TV package.

I have TV in 4 rooms. I think I may end up keeping the internet and switching to AT&T/DirecTV for the TV stuff. For me and my kids the streaming works perfect, it's just the wife who wants all the Discovery channel, Game Show network, CBS, and the murder shows.

Return to Golden State Warriors