NBA Re-Open Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: NBA Re-Open Thread 

Post#221 » by DrWood » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:12 am

HurricaneKid wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Rockets need to go all out from game 1. They can finish anywhere from 3-7. Harden will have to play heavy minutes right away.
7 is obviously a bit of a problem. But I dont think there is any difference between 3 and 6 without any home court advantage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

How will the referees know whom to call fouls on if there's no home court?
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,112

Post#222 » by FrieAaron » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Man this Toronto announcer is annoying
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#223 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:23 pm

As a bucks and suns fan I have to say I'm pretty happy Philly decided to trade Mikal Bridges. He'd be such a good fit with Embiid and Simmons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#224 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

:nod:
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#225 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:22 am

The NBA has progressed on a plan for the eight teams not in the season restart to practice and possibly hold group workouts next month, three sources with direct knowledge of the league’s discussions told the Observer. All three sources described the talks as moving along, to the extent an announcement could come next week.

The proposal under discussion — which has not yet been approved by the league or the players union — would include:

▪ A week of practice at individual teams’ home facilities, starting the second week of August.

▪ Possibly two weeks of group workouts hosted by two teams not in the restart. Those cities have not yet been finalized. Teams traveling would likely be contingent on the players union approving teams scrimmaging each other.

A key factor in all this is approval from the players association, required for any offseason organized practices. Union executive director Michele Roberts said last month that any activity by teams not at Disney would have to conform to the same stringent health and safety standards for the restart “bubble.”

“I know there are some players, particularly young players, that seem concerned they’re not getting enough” offseason activity, Roberts said during a media conference call. “But I am concerned ... in terms of play that doesn’t have the same guarantee of safety and health that we’ve provided in Orlando. “It’s a standard that’s got to be met, and if it’s not met, ‘next question’ as far as I’m concerned.”

The league has asked players not to scrimmage on their own outside team facilities. However, three Hornets — Devonte Graham, Miles Bridges and Dwayne Bacon — were recently on video distributed on Twitter, playing 5-on-5 in Florida. Another NBA player in that game, Michael Beasley, subsequently tested positive for COVID-19, keeping him from signing with the Brooklyn Nets.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article244483582.html
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,944

Post#226 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 am

blazza18 wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Harden played 36 mins tonight.

I read his reasoning for this and I thought it made a ton of sense.

Yeah, it's interesting.

From a Strength and Conditioning perspective one would want to peak right when required (i.e. season proper) so the argument would be that you would taper through the pre-season.

But we're talking about guys that haven't had intense match simulation (obviously not 100% intense) for a while now. Some guys need more of that to hit peak condition. Alternatively more minutes = more injury risk, maybe.

I think whoever wins gets their method lauded as the best, and whoever doesn't gets criticised. I guess time will tell, and in reality there are so many factors at go into performance that it's hard to say it's one thing that makes the difference.

It's interesting, and Harden's reasoning is indeed sensible.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#227 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

:nod:

That's interesting. Boston's got a pretty easy seeding game schedule and Toronto has a pretty difficult one so its not out of the realm of possibility that they could catch the Raptors and if they win their h2h matchup (hard to imagine they could catch them without winning said game) they'll have the tiebreaker. Even though there's no home court, the 6 seed is going to give you a much tougher series than the 7 seed. And that could be especially helpful for Boston given that Gordon Hayward has said he's going to leave for the birth of his child, which if it coincides with the 1st round being at 2 would make that departure much more manageable. Conversely, Miami also has a difficult schedule and Philly and Indiana are probably too far back to have a chance at catching the Celtics so they don't have much worry about dropping lower than 3.
tedbrogen
Analyst
And1: 2,827

Post#228 » by tedbrogen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:02 pm

I assume Stevens cares more about having his guys tuned up and healthy for the playoffs and probably has zero fear of Indy or Philly even if Hayward is not available.

I mean after the last couple seasons why would Boston have any fear of either of those teams? Are they both better than the Nets? Yep. Do either one of them have the systems/coaching to get past Stevens? Very unlikely.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#229 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Its a balance that every team has to strike between not overdoing it and risking injury and that these games can be very meaningful. But even if Philly or Indiana don't worry you, those are good teams and with Kemba's uncertainty and Hayward having said that he'll leave the bubble and will almost certainly have the 10-day quarantine upon his return, that would give you incentive to want to get that 2-seed because even if you think you can beat Indiana and Philly, that 7-seed which will probably be Orlando is not a threat unless Tatum gets injured.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,625

Post#230 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:27 pm

Could absolutely see Philly or Indiana besting Boston in a 7-game series. They're not some juggernaut that can afford to take either of those teams lightly.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#231 » by HurricaneKid » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:02 pm

Isaac is back for Orl. Sabonis and likely Dipo are out for the Pacers. The Pacers are by far the better team of the two but in these circumstances I dont know that there is a sizable difference. Now if Philly ends at 6, the 3 is probably a bad spot. Especially so for Bos. But given Philly's soft schedule I doubt it happens.

The lack of any tangible advantage for being a higher seed is pretty striking and really impacts the calculus more than people think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#232 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Stevens lives rent-free in the heads of the Simmons-Embiid Sixers. A worse version of the Celtics just swept the Pacers last season. (I know, I know the Pacers didn't have Martin Borgan)

Celtics frighten me, especially if they are allowed to set those moving screens where the screener becomes a fullback and blocks for the ball-handler all the way to the rim.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,481

Post#233 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 pm

tedbrogen wrote:Stevens lives rent-free in the heads of the Simmons-Embiid Sixers. A worse version of the Celtics just swept the Pacers last season. (I know, I know the Pacers didn't have Martin Borgan)

Celtics frighten me, especially if they are allowed to set those moving screens where the screener becomes a fullback and blocks for the ball-handler all the way to the rim.

Plus one for Martin Borgan. Minus one for being afraid of the Celtics.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,035

Post#234 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:55 pm

Have zero clue how many of these teams will fare in the resumed season. Long, long layoff. Bizarre circumstances in the bubble.

I only know that Giannis will come to play. And hard. Bodes well for Milwaukee.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#235 » by WRau1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:00 pm

#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#236 » by LuessiT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm

Read on Twitter

No Pat or Bled tomorrow.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#237 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 pm

No surprise that those two aren't ready to play yet. Give them a few more days.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#238 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Indiana has no chance against Boston in the first round.
tedbrogen
Analyst

Post#239 » by tedbrogen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Indiana has no chance against Boston in the first round.

Yep. No Dipo, no Sabonis. Stevens knows Morton B. has the slowest release of any guard in the league.

Edit - also, who is guarding Kemba? Marten B.?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks