ImageImageImageImageImage

Woody back baby!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,440

Re: Woody back baby!! 

Post#21 » by RHODEY » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:19 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Hated the way he coached in 13-14 campaign and think a lot of losses could be left at his feet.

Fresh start & looking fwd to him working with the kids.

Agreed not much creativity.... thank god we had Kidd as d thiose vets for ion court coaching and enough talent and shooting to win anyway,
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,442

Post#22 » by KnicksGod » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm

... I get a feeling Melo is coming back.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#23 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:38 pm

thebuzzardman wrote: :onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Fixed
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Strick
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,447

Post#24 » by Strick » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 pm

The amount of laughs and GIFs these two will generate will be staggering. Hopefully some actual development and progress as well, but we are guaranteed this at the very least :lol: :nod:
RGM Knicks BAF- Minnesota Timberwolves

PG: Coby|Ivey|Bones
SG: Monk|Dinwiddie|Smith Jr
SF: B Miller|Jalen J|Cissoko
PF: Paolo|Obi|Walker
C: SenGOON|Koloko|____
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#25 » by BallSacBounce » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:34 pm

Obligatory. Mandatory watch for noobs to understand the Woodson philosophy and inner psyche. There is great power in simplicity.

Likeable guy, wish him well.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#26 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:43 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Hopefully this means stretch 4 is back.

why do people tout “melo at the 4” as some brilliant innovation in coaching from woodson?

he fell into playing melo there by accident after amare went down and went right back to traditional big lineups when amare was healthy. part of the reason we lost the pacer series is because he didn’t have the stones to commit to what worked.

I still love him as a coach but you said exactly what was on my mind during that series. Hardest part of being a coach is telling a former star player that the team has moved on without them. Fans base loved Amare even though he was always hurt and Woody probably held that old belief that you don't lose your job because of injury and to some extent I agree but not in the midst of a playoff run. You tell Amare to be the backup PF/C sixth man type and work yourself back next yr. Im sure Woody himself would now agree in hindsight.

But also I hate when people say by accident. I think it was more the idea that nobody was gonna cut the knicks any slack cuz Amare was hurt, in fact most of the team was old and hurt at one point or another and Woody just built a culture that yr of no excuses. Next man up and overall it was a great job. I didn't even think the Pacers were better, I think he made that critical mistake and probably regrets it for the rest of his life
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,586

Post#27 » by mpharris36 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#28 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:44 pm

I would've hated this hire as head coach, but like it as assistant coach/member of coaching staff
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#29 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:47 pm

KnicksGod wrote:... I get a feeling Melo is coming back.

Shut the Front Door FU!
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,405

Post#30 » by robillionaire » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:So now the Knicks have two guys that players have completely tuned out. Thibs who had a successful track record was kicked to the curbs by young guys. Woodson who was coming off the best Knick season in about 200 years was kicked to the curbs by the veterans who were still left after Kidd/Sheed/Thomas left. You just have to hope that we're all on the same page going forward.

interesting. you know jack sprat could eat no fat, and his wife could eat no lean. and so between them both, they licked the platter clean. I'm not sure if that means everybody will be completely tuned out or nobody.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#31 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:25 am

Manhattan Project wrote:So now the Knicks have two guys that players have completely tuned out. Thibs who had a successful track record was kicked to the curbs by young guys. Woodson who was coming off the best Knick season in about 200 years was kicked to the curbs by the veterans who were still left after Kidd/Sheed/Thomas left. You just have to hope that we're all on the same page going forward.

Kidd was the best PG we’ve had in a long time. He made the team flow and Prigs was a perfect compliment to him off the bench. Although I see your point I think the loss of skilled players also hurt Woodson.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#32 » by aq_ua » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:23 am

Can we bring back Chris Copeland too? He was pretty awesome.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,036

Post#33 » by Capn'O » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 am

aq_ua wrote:Can we bring back Chris Copeland too? He was pretty awesome.

Wasn't he like 37 nine years ago?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#34 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:54 am

Capn'O wrote:

No, he was nine 37 years ago
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#35 » by aq_ua » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

You of all people should know awesomeness ages gracefully.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#36 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:13 am

aq_ua wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

You of all people should know awesomeness ages gracefully.

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#37 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:18 am

I think we would have lost to Pacers regardless. They had the best player in George and Knicks didn’t really have an answer for Hibbert. They overreacted to Hibbert situation and went and got Bargnani the following season.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,311

Post#38 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:47 pm

Felt like the players enjoyed Woody's rah rah enthusiasm until they tuned him out.

The 'took over for Pringles' to finish out the year they played hard for him and the team seemed happy etc
2nd season that enthusiasm and buy in remained. Obviously vets like Kidd etc helped, but again, his motivational techniques still worked

3rd season, it was obvious that in spite of his rah rah motivational style, the players were tuning him out.
My opinion, which could be wrong, is that as pros they realized he was somewhat lacking and the motivational stuff didn't play anymore.

But, as an assistant coach, I think that kind of attitude will help working with players, communicating to them, motivating them.

I wouldn't have liked him back as a head coach with better options available, but as an assistant, I think it's a good, solid hire.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#39 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Felt like the players enjoyed Woody's rah rah enthusiasm until they tuned him out.

The 'took over for Pringles' to finish out the year they played hard for him and the team seemed happy etc
2nd season that enthusiasm and buy in remained. Obviously vets like Kidd etc helped, but again, his motivational techniques still worked

3rd season, it was obvious that in spite of his rah rah motivational style, the players were tuning him out.
My opinion, which could be wrong, is that as pros they realized he was somewhat lacking and the motivational stuff didn't play anymore.

But, as an assistant coach, I think that kind of attitude will help working with players, communicating to them, motivating them.

I wouldn't have liked him back as a head coach with better options available, but as an assistant, I think it's a good, solid hire.

I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,609

Post#40 » by Gravy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:07 pm

KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Felt like the players enjoyed Woody's rah rah enthusiasm until they tuned him out.

I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.

2012-13 they were good and went to the 2nd round, it was 2014 when it all fell apart. I think it was 90 percent because of the loss of Jason Kidd. It started during the Pacers series when he couldn't hit a shot anymore. Having a good pg changes so much for us its a shame we haven't had one in so long.

Return to New York Knicks