ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 6) -LOTTO 8/20 DRAFT 10/16!

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 685

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread (Part 6) -LOTTO 8/20 DRAFT 10/16! 

Post#1741 » by -YogiBiz- » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 am

El Poochio wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Image

Guess the player

Dario Saric?

Avdija gonna be more Saric than Doncic imo, he was also dominating at every youth level

Terrible Comp imo either way. I never thought Saric was as good a passer/defender as Avdija is (Not saying Deni is elite at either, he's just better at it than Saric).
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#1742 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:50 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Not surprised. They probably see some similarities with this guy here.

Take it with a grain of salt but info apparently came from someone with connections with the Hawks FO.

Says that the Hawks draft board is 1. Edwards 2. Toppin 3. Ball 4. Haliburton.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/133/?tab=comments#comment-1028094

Other tidbits here are that the Suns are targeting Cole Anthony and that the Spurs would go for Vassell if they couldn’t move up.

For the Knicks we were indeed interested in LaVine but the asking price is a first rounder and a role player which we refused. Nets seem to be the one that will be more aggressive for LaVine. Mike D’Antoni was also the name floated as the next Nets’ coach.

As expected teams are expecting us to be willing to trade up for LaMelo.

Thanks for sharing this. Cole does seem like he's in Phoenix's range so that's not too far fetched. Interesting to see the Nets have Mike D'Antoni as a candidate. Maybe if he gets fired they'll prob go all in on him. Makes sense for the Knicks not to give up a pick for Lavine cause we still need talent around him. Nets are probably offering Levert, picks and other guys for Lavine. They need a 3rd star and might have the assets to pull it off.

I wonder what the Knicks are giving up to get Lamelo. I'd imagine at the very least that Knox, Frank and DSJ are on the table.

D’Antoni will probably lead the Nets to 60+ wins in his first season although if he can’t win the title in Year 1 it will be harder in the succeeding seasons as teams figure him out.

Yes Nets should see what they can get in exchange for Dinwiddie, LeVert and Jarrett Allen especially as KD and Kyrie seem to prefer DJ starting. If they couldn’t get Bradley Beal they should try for Lavine.

I don’t think Knox, Frank or DSJ will be able to get us to trade up in the draft. At the very least they can be used as salary fillers to take back expensive contracts such as the one of Wiggins.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,605

Post#1743 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
Take it with a grain of salt but info apparently came from someone with connections with the Hawks FO.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/133/?tab=comments#comment-1028094

Other tidbits here are that the Suns are targeting Cole Anthony and that the Spurs would go for Vassell if they couldn’t move up.

For the Knicks we were indeed interested in LaVine but the asking price is a first rounder and a role player which we refused. Nets seem to be the one that will be more aggressive for LaVine. Mike D’Antoni was also the name floated as the next Nets’ coach.

Thanks for sharing this. Cole does seem like he's in Phoenix's range so that's not too far fetched. Interesting to see the Nets have Mike D'Antoni as a candidate. Maybe if he gets fired they'll prob go all in on him. Makes sense for the Knicks not to give up a pick for Lavine cause we still need talent around him. Nets are probably offering Levert, picks and other guys for Lavine. They need a 3rd star and might have the assets to pull it off.

I wonder what the Knicks are giving up to get Lamelo. I'd imagine at the very least that Knox, Frank and DSJ are on the table.

D’Antoni will probably lead the Nets to 60+ wins in his first season although if he can’t win the title in Year 1 it will be harder in the succeeding seasons as teams figure him out.

Yes Nets should see what they can get in exchange for Dinwiddie, LeVert and Jarrett Allen especially as KD and Kyrie seem to prefer DJ starting. If they couldn’t get Bradley Beal they should try for Lavine.

I don’t think Knox, Frank or DSJ will be able to get us to trade up in the draft. At the very least they can be used as salary fillers to take back expensive contracts such as the one of Wiggins.

If KD doesn’t come back 90% to his old self then the Nets are screwed, even with Lavine or Bradley Beal and Mike D’anphony on board

And yeah, that package to move up is trash. Will need to add picks and/or possibly RJ or Mitch.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#1744 » by Tron Carter » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:You know what, I may be leaning towards Anthony Edwards as the guy I want most right now. I just listened to him analyse how he plays with Mike Schmitz and he's EXTREMELY bright and knows the answer to every question Shmitz was throwing at him about what he was thinking, what he should have done, etc., etc. on numerous plays. Every answer was right on and was quick, didn't need to think and was in great detail (not him trying to remember to say the right thing). And it's so different than most of the players that Shmitz interviewed. Edwards just has a natural understanding that you can't teach.

For those that haven't listened to it, i'd suggest doing so.

Even if not the first choice, his ability to understand the right play quickly and being able to read and react combined with all those tools and skills can make him a top tier player in the NBA. You got a 6'5" guy with 6'10" wingspan, super strong, explosive, can create, pass, defend and see/understand the flow of the game. That's hard to pass on. If I'm the Knicks and Ball is off the board but Anthony is on, my choice would be real quick. You take Edwards, all the existing talent, the upside, the star qualities, the great feel and you think you can mold him into an All-Star player.

One scenario was where the Knicks end up with Edwards, trade Randle in some sort of package for CP3 and sign Woods or Bertans, then add them to Barrett and Robinson, and that would be one heck of a team that could do something under Thibs.

this was the interview that sold me on him. people need to remember he really should’ve been playing in high school still.
R.I.P Black Mamba
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#1745 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

In reality, we dont need fillers to absorb a big contract with cap space. Nevertheless, some team could be interested i n Knox, Frank, DSJ as flier to sweet a deal.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#1746 » by Richard4444 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:40 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
I read somewhere that the Spurs are trying to build a package in order to move up in the draft and get Wiseman. Says they have him as a far #1 on their board and they did their homework on him.

If that’s true hope the Spurs can pull it off.

Not surprised. They probably see some similarities with this guy here.

I dont see LaMello as a great pairing with Trae Young. Both are ball dominant true point guards.

I hope FO gives up trading the farm for borderline stars like Beal and Lavine. It would cost us all the talent we have. I am glad contenders apparently would outbid us any try in that direction.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,018

Post#1747 » by moocow007 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:01 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Not surprised. They probably see some similarities with this guy here.

I dont see LaMello as a great pairing with Trae Young. Both are ball dominant true point guards.

I hope FO gives up trading the farm for borderline stars like Beal and Lavine. It would cost us all the talent we have. I am glad contenders apparently would outbid us any try in that direction.

Yeah. Ball with any ball dominant guard won't work. And Young I think was either 1 or 2 in ball dominance in the NBA last season. Ball needs to have the ball in his hands to really maximize his skills. He's not a spot up guy and he's really not ideal as a finisher either. You need the ball in his hands right early in the shot clock. Of all the teams in the NBA, this team is the one that would be most able to offer that to him.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1748 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:49 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

If that list is indeed correct am surprised with Toppin also being high on their board given that they already have John Collins on their roster.

Toppin seems to be that guy who is outside of the Top 10 on fans’ boards but always seems to pop up in news or rumors that league executives have him high atop their list.

For the Hawks I think Edwards or Haliburton would be the best fit. LaMelo could be high on their list for trade bait purposes.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1749 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:04 am

rooting for Clippers to go 0-8
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1750 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:24 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Thanks for sharing this. Cole does seem like he's in Phoenix's range so that's not too far fetched. Interesting to see the Nets have Mike D'Antoni as a candidate. Maybe if he gets fired they'll prob go all in on him. Makes sense for the Knicks not to give up a pick for Lavine cause we still need talent around him. Nets are probably offering Levert, picks and other guys for Lavine. They need a 3rd star and might have the assets to pull it off.

If KD doesn’t come back 90% to his old self then the Nets are screwed, even with Lavine or Bradley Beal and Mike D’anphony on board

And yeah, that package to move up is trash. Will need to add picks and/or possibly RJ or Mitch.

Frank, Knox and DSJ unfortunately are paid above what their play is worth, even on their rookie contracts. Teams that want them are those that think they can extract from them more than what we have done but it is not like a "buy low" proposition for them. I think you will have to attach Mitch's bargain contract with these guys to make it attractive as a means of "averaging down".
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1751 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:44 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

Frank, Knox and DSJ unfortunately are paid above what their play is worth, even on their rookie contracts. Teams that want them are those that think they can extract from them more than what we have done but it is not like a "buy low" proposition for them. I think you will have to attach Mitch's bargain contract with these guys to make it attractive as a means of "averaging down".

If the LaMelo rumors are real then the Knicks might give up Mitch for him. It seems like the Knicks are super thirsty for him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,850

Post#1752 » by robillionaire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:47 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:If KD doesn’t come back 90% to his old self then the Nets are screwed, even with Lavine or Bradley Beal and Mike D’anphony on board

If the LaMelo rumors are real then the Knicks might give up Mitch for him. It seems like the Knicks are super thirsty for him

maybe but let's just win the lottery 3 weeks from today
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1753 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:37 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:If KD doesn’t come back 90% to his old self then the Nets are screwed, even with Lavine or Bradley Beal and Mike D’anphony on board

The irony of that is we need Mitch to cover for LaMelo on defense.

Sigh I just want two-way players on our squad. The Spurs rumor is making me want to dig deeper on Vassell. The supposed practice was too figure out who the Spurs want as they have been the gold standard in finding talent. Especially those guys they are willing to trade up for.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1754 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:27 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

Sigh I just want two-way players on our squad. The Spurs rumor is making me want to dig deeper on Vassell. The supposed practice was too figure out who the Spurs want as they have been the gold standard in finding talent. Especially those guys they are willing to trade up for.

Vassel is like Mikal but can create more. They prob think they can mold him into Middleton and I think they can for sure
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#1755 » by knickabocker88 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:32 am

RJ and LaMelo on the same team, 2 dudes who cant shoot.

Lavar's kids are tall but they lack fast twitch athleticism. LaMelo's measurable are probably the same as Knox's minus the Knox's jumping ability.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1756 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:If the LaMelo rumors are real then the Knicks might give up Mitch for him. It seems like the Knicks are super thirsty for him

Vassel is like Mikal but can create more. They prob think they can mold him into Middleton and I think they can for sure

Spurs like high IQ two-way players that can contribute to winning basketball. No wonder they are high on Vassell and extremely high on Wiseman.
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1757 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:27 am

knickabocker88 wrote:RJ and LaMelo on the same team, 2 dudes who cant shoot.

Lavar's kids are tall but they lack fast twitch athleticism. LaMelo's measurable are probably the same as Knox's minus the Knox's jumping ability.

Lonzo and LaMelo are athletic but yeah they don’t have that fast twitch athleticism. More of the types that get that speed and acceleration as they go downhill.

Interesting you bring up the comps with Knox. Wonder if we’d be better off putting LaMelo at the 3 doing the point forward role.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1758 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:07 am

knickabocker88 wrote:RJ and LaMelo on the same team, 2 dudes who cant shoot.

hire Fred Vinson, the shooting coach from the Pelicans. throw a ton of $$$ at him

2018/19 Brandon Ingram (w/ Lakers)
3PT%: 33%
FT%: 67.5

2019/20 (w/ Pelicans)
3PT%: 38.4%
FT%: 85.8%

2018/19 Lonzo Ball (w/ Lakers)
3PT%: 32.9%
FT%: 41.7%

2019/20 (w/ Pelicans)
3PT%: 37.9%
FT%: 55.1%
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,447

Post#1759 » by Deeeez Knicks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:52 pm

I don't think Ball's shooting is as bad as people think. A lot of the issue is shot selection..he was on super high volume and took a lot of bad shots, some of which he had to. On catch and shoots Ball was at 38%.

Dont get me wrong, he needs to improve on that but I think he can def at least become enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Worst_to_First
RealGM

Post#1760 » by Worst_to_First » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:46 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I don't think Ball's shooting is as bad as people think. A lot of the issue is shot selection..he was on super high volume and took a lot of bad shots, some of which he had to. On catch and shoots Ball was at 38%.

Dont get me wrong, he needs to improve on that but I think he can def at least become enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.

This was an argument I saw made by Twolves fans before on Ricky Rubio that he was solid in the catch and shoot.

The problem with this is that if you take LaMelo off the ball you negative his greatest strengths. He has to score at an efficient rate on off the dribble shots and drives.

Return to New York Knicks