ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Are Canadian Sports Broadcasters and Media Personalities Predominately White?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Does the Canadian Sports Broadcast / Media have a racism problem?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 148

arneil
Sophomore
And1: 119

Re: Why Are Canadian Sports Broadcasters and Media Personalities Predominately White? 

Post#81 » by arneil » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:56 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
arneil wrote:Is the NBA racist because its mostly black? Is the NHL racist because its mostly white? This social justice stuff is just WAAAAAAAY too much right now. Im a person of colour. Ive had TONS of ethnically different friends and this whole race talk...this whole race talk itself is racist. I feel now everyone is making race an issue when it really isn't. Have people ever thought about that individuals make certain decisions and if those certain people end up being one ethnicity is that wrong? I dunno man. I feel like right now race is actually making people more racist. Just creating race problems where they dont exist.

Do you think sports broadcasting is an actual meritocracy? Like, the people being interviewed for positions and getting jobs are the absolute best in the business?

I do believe that broadcasting is a meritocracy. On a very basic level you have to be able to be good on camera and talk, inform and entertain at the same time. Now you can definitely say that things like physical attractiveness do come into play more so than other attributes. Example Molly Querim on First Take. Shes very attractive....doesnt say a word on the show. And when she does its usually very very very VERY un-informative. So yea. I think its mostly a meritocracy and to a degree there are some biased when hiring for sports broadcasters.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: Why Are Canadian Sports Broadcasters and Media Personalities Predominately White? 

Post#82 » by Scott Hall » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 pm

Mark Jones used to work for TSN do you really want him back?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,626

Post#83 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:00 pm

arneil wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
arneil wrote:Is the NBA racist because its mostly black? Is the NHL racist because its mostly white? This social justice stuff is just WAAAAAAAY too much right now. Im a person of colour. Ive had TONS of ethnically different friends and this whole race talk...this whole race talk itself is racist. I feel now everyone is making race an issue when it really isn't. Have people ever thought about that individuals make certain decisions and if those certain people end up being one ethnicity is that wrong? I dunno man. I feel like right now race is actually making people more racist. Just creating race problems where they dont exist.

Do you think sports broadcasting is an actual meritocracy? Like, the people being interviewed for positions and getting jobs are the absolute best in the business?

I do believe that broadcasting is a meritocracy. On a very basic level you have to be able to be good on camera and talk, inform and entertain at the same time. Now you can definitely say that things like physical attractiveness do come into play more so than other attributes. Example Molly Querim on First Take. Shes very attractive....doesnt say a word on the show. And when she does its usually very very very VERY un-informative. So yea. I think its mostly a meritocracy and to a degree there are some biased when hiring for sports broadcasters.

There are millions of people who could do that job well, unlike actual sports leagues. How you treat applications and hirings is where the bias comes in. It is absurd to try and argue that the people we currently see on TV (hi Leo!) are the absolute best people that could be found. So much more goes into it. It is not racist to bring that up.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#84 » by Chandan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:01 pm

arneil wrote:
Chandan wrote:

You have to take into account these activists each have like 200 social media account and are blasting anyone and everyone regardless of context just to keep the momentum going.

I refuse to believe logic has left the people.

What do you mean about you refusing that logic has left the people?

In this case, I think it's only natural that the broadcasting crew/media personalities are STILL majority White. I dont see how anyone can still be outraged if they took a minute to figure out the reasons.

Think about how many years it takes to learn a trade. Think about the connections you need to build in order to succeed in that industry. Think about when did basketball become popular in Toronto. Think about the language barrier. Think about the old guards in your own industries. Think about the nature of a pursuing a broadcasting career and the risk that comes with it. Think about the actual population break down... I could give you like ten more reasons off the top of my head why isn't there more minorities currently working for TSN. I can be wrong with some of them because i drew them from my experience, but I probably wouldn't bat a 0 considering that I am a minority myself.

It takes time to have minorities saturate the industry and it's already happening. I dont see a reason to start a random fire to push a racial agenda.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#85 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:09 pm

Chandan wrote:In this case, I think it's only natural that the broadcasting crew/media personalities are STILL majority White. I dont see how anyone can still be outraged if they took a minute to figure out the reasons.

Think about how many years it takes to learn a trade. Think about the connections you need to build in order to succeed in that industry. Think about when did basketball become popular in Toronto. Think about the language barrier. Think about the old guards in your own industries. Think about the nature of a pursuing a broadcasting career and the risk that comes with it. Think about the actual population break down... I could give you like ten more reasons off the top of my head why isn't there more minorities currently working for TSN. I can be wrong with some of them because i drew them from my experience, but I probably wouldn't bat a 0 considering that I am a minority myself.

It takes time to have minorities saturate the industry and it's already happening. I dont see a reason to start a random fire to push a racial agenda.

You just gave several examples alluding to a racial agenda :lol:
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#86 » by Chandan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
Chandan wrote:In this case, I think it's only natural that the broadcasting crew/media personalities are STILL majority White. I dont see how anyone can still be outraged if they took a minute to figure out the reasons.

You just gave several examples alluding to a racial agenda :lol:

This is more of a culture thing. We dont ask why there aren't more jewish rappers.

in recent years more Canadian basketball players are hitting the NBA. It didn't happen in 2 years after Vince got traded. **** takes time.
refshateRaps
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,947

Post#87 » by refshateRaps » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm

Double Bubble wrote:there are two possible ways to answer to this. you could acknowledge this reality has almost endless variables that make it impossible to explain with one simple factor.

or you could just blame it on "racism" like an idiot and call it a day

It's what we're told to do today. Every social media channel has been pushing to narrate a culture of fear, hatred and create a divide between people.

I will never let my child grow up playing the victim card based on the color of skin and prejudging others a evil or racist. That is a losers mindset and is being done to keep people mad and prevent opportunity. If anything it prevents all common ground of humanity

The TV old guard takes time to change, it's not racist, it simply lags as a reflection of the past cultural generation. A generation that so many of our immigrant parents were excited to come to just to have opportunity.

Living in a mindset that all others are racist is a jail in itself.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,924

Post#88 » by JN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
arneil wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

There are millions of people who could do that job well, unlike actual sports leagues. How you treat applications and hirings is where the bias comes in. It is absurd to try and argue that the people we currently see on TV (hi Leo!) are the absolute best people that could be found. So much more goes into it. It is not racist to bring that up.

In 1995 when Leo was hired it made perfect sense. He was one of Canada's greatest basketball players of all time at that point.

He also earned his degree from the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse, which has one of if not the most esteemed sports broadcasting school in the USA. He also went back to Syracuse a few summers for additional courses in Radio and Television work in the mid 80's. Before being hired by the Raptors he had done work for the CBC during international events for basketball for example.

To argue that he wasn't qualified for an analyst position with the Raptors in 1995, I think is incorrect.

He may not be great -- but I think that is the case for many announcers who survive based on familiarity listening to the broadcasts of many other teams in sports.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#89 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:24 pm

JN wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
arneil wrote:

In 1995 when Leo was hired it made perfect sense. He was one of Canada's greatest basketball players of all time at that point.

He also earned his degree from the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications, which has perhaps the most esteemed sports broadcasting school in the USA. He also went back to Syracuse a few summers for additional courses in Radio and Television work in the mid 80's. Before being hired by the Raptors he had done work for the CBC during Olympics.

To argue that he wasn't qualified for an analyst position with the Raptors in 1995, I think is incorrect.

That was 25 years ago!
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#90 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:29 pm

You don't get to do your job poorly because of "familiarity" in a meritocracy.
arneil
Sophomore

Post#91 » by arneil » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:34 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
JN wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

He also earned his degree from the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications, which has perhaps the most esteemed sports broadcasting school in the USA. He also went back to Syracuse a few summers for additional courses in Radio and Television work in the mid 80's. Before being hired by the Raptors he had done work for the CBC during Olympics.

That was 25 years ago!

But thats the whole point. Back then, Leo WAS the most qualified person for the job. Or at least at the moment he was. It doesnt matter that Leo is white (or orange) all that mattered was he was one of the rare Canadians that actually went to play in the NCAA at the time and go on to have a SOME WHAT pro career in the NBA. And then play overseas. Leo had the experience to be the SORT of face of basketball for Canada at the time. I mean later on came people like Sherman Hamilton came about. But Sherman Hamilton never played in the NBA. Leo did. So Leo DOES have a slight edge of Sherman Hamilton. Hence Leo became the "head" sports broadcaster so to speak. Thats not racist at all.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#92 » by vado » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:38 pm

I think there is a stronger case for sexism in sports broadcasting than racism. Women are 50% of the population. Anyways there is quite a few young sports broadcasters/media members that are minorities that have started in the last 10 years that I don't see this being an issue in the future.
JN
RealGM

Post#93 » by JN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:38 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
JN wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

That was 25 years ago!

You said it was absurd that he was the best person that could be found. I think his credentials were very sound at the time of the hire, and that can't be effectively argued IMO.

In terms of being around for 25 years. That is a sports broadcasting trend amongst major sports franchises, that I don't think is based on racism. It seems that teams want familiarity from their broadcasters -- I listen to broadcast of other teams and there have been many announcers that have been around for a long time that don't seem to be that strong -- an example would be the two idiots that do New York Yankees radio broadcasts. There are plenty of candidates to replace them -- both black and white -- but they seem to want to keep familiar voices around.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as some nutjob like Mufasa who is claiming reverse racism. I think it is good to question and discuss/analyze racism and discrimination across industries, and to sometimes reach the opinion it may not be there or at least not prevalent in certain spaces. Because there are certainly many people and certain businesses that have the issues.
arneil
Sophomore

Post#94 » by arneil » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:39 pm

Chandan wrote:
arneil wrote:
Chandan wrote:
You have to take into account these activists each have like 200 social media account and are blasting anyone and everyone regardless of context just to keep the momentum going.

I refuse to believe logic has left the people.

What do you mean about you refusing that logic has left the people?

In this case, I think it's only natural that the broadcasting crew/media personalities are STILL majority White. I dont see how anyone can still be outraged if they took a minute to figure out the reasons.

Ok. So I think I see what you're saying. So you're saying since minorities only started to come over in mass amounts to Canada in the 70s, it would take a longer time for them to become more prevelant in certain industries?
JN
RealGM

Post#95 » by JN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:40 pm

arneil wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
JN wrote:

That was 25 years ago!

But thats the whole point. Back then, Leo WAS the most qualified person for the job. Or at least at the moment he was. It doesnt matter that Leo is white (or orange) all that mattered was he was one of the rare Canadians that actually went to play in the NCAA at the time and go on to have a SOME WHAT pro career in the NBA. And then play overseas. Leo had the experience to be the SORT of face of basketball for Canada at the time. I mean later on came people like Sherman Hamilton came about. But Sherman Hamilton never played in the NBA. Leo did. So Leo DOES have a slight edge of Sherman Hamilton. Hence Leo became the "head" sports broadcaster so to speak. Thats not racist at all.

And as I said, Leo had a communications degree from Syracuse, and went back to take additional summer courses in broadcasting from Newhouse. Check the list of sports media and broadcasters from Syracuse -- it is extensive. He had the credentials at the time.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#96 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:47 pm

JN wrote:And as I said, Leo had a communications degree from Syracuse, and went back to take additional summer courses in broadcasting from Newhouse. Check the list of sports media and broadcasters from Syracuse -- it is extensive. He had the credentials at the time.

This is just your way of promoting Syracuse, isn't it.
JN
RealGM

Post#97 » by JN » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
JN wrote:And as I said, Leo had a communications degree from Syracuse, and went back to take additional summer courses in broadcasting from Newhouse. Check the list of sports media and broadcasters from Syracuse -- it is extensive. He had the credentials at the time.

I have to find something to promote them. Syracuse broadcasters certainly have been more successful than Syracuse players in the NBA.

That being said here are people from Syracuse, that I cut and paste from newhouse website.

"When you look to the top of the sports broadcasting profession you see Syracuse alumni everywhere you turn: from NBC's Bob Costas '74 and Mike Tirico '88 to Marv Albert '63, the Voice of the NBA, plus ESPN's Sean McDonough '84, Dave Pasch '94, Dave O'Brien '86 and Beth Mowins G'90 and CBS' Ian Eagle '90"
Rookie
And1: 1,023

Post#98 » by 416 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Mascot wrote:
416 wrote:
Mascot wrote:

read section 2
trust me, I live in Gros Morne National Park.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/pukaskwa/info/emplois-jobs/01
they might say equally qualified, but not the case, and no I have no way to prove it.
I appreciate you for taking the time to look at it. I hope you also understand what it means as well. The government has a good explanation of it all to help you interpret that section. I'll provide it to you here: https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/rfc-dlc/ccrf-ccdl/check/art15.html

Scroll down about 75% of the link and start reading from the following section: (iii) Framework of analysis for section 15(2)

After reading that let me know whether you stand by your original stance or whether your opinion has changed. I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using RealGM mobile app

Yes, you are right about the law. Trust me I agree with it, but its just not the case with some parts of the federal government. Especially Parks Canada. As I said I cannot prove it but just walk into any Parks Canada Interpretive Building in Newfoundland and you will have no problem seeing what I am talking about.
Yea but this is what you said:

"As someone with Native Status living in Newfoundland the fact that I could get a job over someone who is pure white even though they have better credentials with the federal government is honestly the stupidest thing ever."

"Whoever is better should get the job regardless of skin colour."

I pointed to section 15(2) of the Charter because it explains why this isn't stupid. One of the purposes of affirmative action is to ameliorate some of the conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

Essentially Canada has recognized that certain groups of people start off with a disadvantage in life and that the origins of these disadvantages are unfair. For example, think about the victims of residential schools (and the trickle down effect) - of course these people start off with a huge disadvantage because their families were discrimated against based on the fact that they were Aboriginal peoples. How is it fair to hire someone based purely on merit when the decks are stacked against a certain group? We've done a lot of wrong in Canada and these laws/concepts are in place to right some of these wrongs (reconciliation).

I'm just puzzled (and honestly a bit sad) that someone who has Native Status is not an advocate for reconciliation and affirmative action. It's the least that we can do to help Canada push towards better equality. That's why I was very interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using RealGM mobile app
thanks sh00n
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#99 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:04 pm

JN wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

I have to find something to promote them. Syracuse broadcasters certainly have been more successful than Syracuse players in the NBA.

That being said here are people from Syracuse, that I cut and paste from newhouse website.

"When you look to the top of the sports broadcasting profession you see Syracuse alumni everywhere you turn: from NBC's Bob Costas '74 and Mike Tirico '88 to Marv Albert '63, the Voice of the NBA, plus ESPN's Sean McDonough '84, Dave Pasch '94, Dave O'Brien '86 and Beth Mowins G'90 and CBS' Ian Eagle '90"

Leo notably absent from this list of grads they're proud of.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#100 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:08 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
JN wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:

Leo notably absent from this list of grads they're proud of.

LOL, Didn't even notice. That's great.

Return to Toronto Raptors