ImageImageImageImageImage

TPE/MLE/Draft

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Re: TPE/MLE/Draft 

Post#21 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:05 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:A lot of people pencil in Poole as apoint guard. I don't think Poole is a point guard. klay defended point guards but hevisn'tbappoint guard. Klay had his length. Poole is big for a point guard and is quicker than Klay. Neither one of them did anything on offense to make me think point guard.

I have a hunch that despite Poole's horrible rooking season shooting that Poole will make it in the NBA as a scorer but probably not good enough next year to be a rotation player.

I think Bowman is a legit NBA player; a 10th man but still an NBA player. Bowman's quickness is not special but is better than NBA avage Steph has a problem staying in front of quick point guards 1 on 1. Steph isn't big but he is not really small as a point guard.

I don't really want a back up point guards slower than Steph even if he has good offensive skills. If the back up point guard is going to be slower than Steph he better have livingston length and know how to use the length defensively. Otherwise just stick with Bowman.

Smart would be nice but I don't believe the Celtics are going to get rid of Smart.

Poole probably needs another year to get his body right in order to be an average defender. But at his size, he could be lead guard in mixed line up lineups with Klay or Lee or Mulder and that wouldn’t be the end of the world if your 6’5 guard is the smallest guy on the court.

I think Poole absolutely has it in him to play point in Kerr’s system, which isn’t all that dependent on pick and roll creation. Poole is a high level passer. He makes a lot of creative reads, he can manipulate defenders to create openings for cutters, and he’s pretty adept at throwing lasers cross court to shooters. I’m more worried about his defense than anything, but that isn’t as big an issue if he’s the point guard. Here’s a nice video compilation of some of the passing. Some seriously impressive stuff here:

Read on Twitter
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#22 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Poole's biggest issue was his confidence cratered. If his confidence is back he should be a reasonable rotation player. If his confidence is still bad then he should probably be moved.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#23 » by Onus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:A lot of people pencil in Poole as apoint guard. I don't think Poole is a point guard. klay defended point guards but hevisn'tbappoint guard. Klay had his length. Poole is big for a point guard and is quicker than Klay. Neither one of them did anything on offense to make me think point guard.

I have a hunch that despite Poole's horrible rooking season shooting that Poole will make it in the NBA as a scorer but probably not good enough next year to be a rotation player.

I think Bowman is a legit NBA player; a 10th man but still an NBA player. Bowman's quickness is not special but is better than NBA avage Steph has a problem staying in front of quick point guards 1 on 1. Steph isn't big but he is not really small as a point guard.

I don't really want a back up point guards slower than Steph even if he has good offensive skills. If the back up point guard is going to be slower than Steph he better have livingston length and know how to use the length defensively. Otherwise just stick with Bowman.

Smart would be nice but I don't believe the Celtics are going to get rid of Smart.

Poole probably needs another year to get his body right in order to be an average defender. But at his size, he could be lead guard in mixed line up lineups with Klay or Lee or Mulder and that wouldn’t be the end of the world if your 6’5 guard is the smallest guy on the court.

I think Poole absolutely has it in him to play point in Kerr’s system, which isn’t all that dependent on pick and roll creation. Poole is a high level passer. He makes a lot of creative reads, he can manipulate defenders to create openings for cutters, and he’s pretty adept at throwing lasers cross court to shooters. I’m more worried about his defense than anything, but that isn’t as big an issue if he’s the point guard. Here’s a nice video compilation of some of the passing. Some seriously impressive stuff here:

Read on Twitter

Poole was absolutely putrid as an off guard last year. Like so bad they sent him down to the g league. He looked like a passable prospect when he returned and they tried him out as the pg.

Poole just isn’t a good enough movement shooter to play off guard in our system.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#24 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:17 pm

That video made my heart sing. If Poole continues working on his body and his shot, he has the bball instincts to be a starting PG in 4-5 years.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#25 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:16 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:A lot of people pencil in Poole as a point guard. I don't think Poole is a point guard. Klay.
Neither one of them did anything on offense to make me think point guard.

I think Bowman is a legit NBA point guard; a 10th man but still an NBA player.

Read on Twitter

The video prove me wrong. Poole showed offensive point guard skills.

I thought Poole could catch and shoot as well as shoot off the dribble in College.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#26 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:46 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:A lot of people pencil in Poole as a point guard. I don't think Poole is a point guard. Klay.
Neither one of them did anything on offense to make me think point guard.

I think Bowman is a legit NBA point guard; a 10th man but still an NBA player.

Read on Twitter

I thought Poole could catch and shoot as well as shoot off the dribble in College.

It's his highlights. Anybody will look good on highlights. What you have to look at is his season as a whole.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#27 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 am

BballIntellect wrote:It's his highlights. Anybody will look good on highlights. What you have to look at is his season as a whole.

Yes and no. If someone is playing injured, then it gets better it is more useful to evaluate what they will do for the next year by looking at how they performed after the injury cleared up. Poole was a rookie who missed time in camp and never really seemed to settle in until they gave him time in the GL to get his confidence back. It's more useful, particularly for rookies, to look at their peak performance and their late season performances as indicators of what they can become. Players don't tend to improve much during the season, so Poole's rookie year would give the team/coaches direction on what to work with him on ... if they were allowed to work with him of course.

Poole sucked overall, but he did show some flashes of what he could be. It's not certain what he'll become, but he showed enough to me to say that he could be a quality NBA player. Or he could never get the confidence and the consistency and will never be more than a disappointment.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#28 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:50 am

BballIntellect wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

Read on Twitter

It's his highlights. Anybody will look good on highlights. What you have to look at is his season as a whole.

You’d never find a highlight reel of Barnes making passes like that. Hell, you won’t even find a highlight reel of Barnes shaking defenders with that level of ball-handling. Of course, Barnes is an objectively better player than Poole and we’d be lucky if Poole ever became a starter, let alone play 25+ minutes on a championship team. But feel for the game is something that you either have or you don’t. Poole has it. What he doesn’t have yet is an NBA body or an ability to bomb threes as an off-ball spacer like Klay or Lee. Those things may or may not come. I’m more optimistic that he can max out his physical ability than I am that he’ll become one of those guys like Klay, Duncan Robinson, JJ Redick etc you can run around screens for threes. But if his catch and shoot percentages are respectable and you believe in his improved finishing — 59% from in the restricted area after his G-League stint and 54% on floaters on the season — you have the outlines of a useful player, especially one that can pass like that. If Poole shoots 35% + from three, which isn’t far off from what he did after the Russell trade, it’ll really open things up for him; he’s got a good handle and he’s got a big package of ball fakes and jab steps and misdirections that he uses to start his drives. If defenders believe he can shoot, that Sfax is going to be immensely useful.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#29 » by Commodor » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:13 am

Unrealistic Option A
TPE: Robert Covington
MLE: Paul Millsap
Draft: James Wiseman

Unrealistic Option B
TPE: Marcus Smart
MLE: Marc Gasol
Draft: Devin Vassell

Probably what happens
TPE: Tony Snell (if anyone)
MLE: Robin Lopez
Draft: Killian Hayes
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#30 » by Onus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:25 pm

All I know is that the tpe and the mle have to be vets that can play. Most likely wings and guards.

Steph
Klay
Wiggins
Green
Chriss?
Pascall
Looney?

Are the players that I would trust in a finals. That means we need a backup guard and wing.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#31 » by The Maestro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 pm

Redux

TPE: Aaron Gordon
MLE: Serge Ibaka
Draft: Patrick Williams

Basically a 3 way with Minny (broken down to 2 trades for technical reasons). Minny gets 2nd rd pick from GSW, Orl gets James Johnson/GSW pick/filler, GSW gets Gordon & Orl pick

Death lineup
Curry
Klay
AG/Wigs
Ibaka
Dray
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#32 » by TB » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:57 pm

I love the optimism in here, but Ibaka ain't signing for the MLE.

The guy is 30.
Plays 2 positions.
Doesn't mind starting or bench role.
On defense can protect rim and perimeter when needed.
On offense can finish inside and stretch to 3.
Champion with toughness and good locker room guy.

IF he signs for MLE, it would be for Toronto where he seems to really have found a home with.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#33 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:08 pm

TPE Iguadalla
MLE Baynes
Pick trade down get Halibertan plus a future 1st
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#34 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:02 am

Draft Wiseman. Give up a future 1st(not the 2020 or Minny's) for Satoransky from the Bulls with the TPE. Don't use the MLE. Get GR3 for the vet. minimum.

Steph/Satoransky/Poole
Klay/Lee/Mulder
Wiggins/GR3/JTA
Draymond/Paschall/Smailagic
Wiseman/Chriss/Looney
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#35 » by DAWill1128 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 am

Satoransky I have always felt made sense for us, he's 6-7 and has a strong bball iq and floor vision. Satoransky is not the defender Livingston was who was a really strong defender for a point guard. But Satoransky has a better outside shot than Shaun ever had and the extra spacing could be nice.

I was really surprised tonight seeing Reggie Jackson being matched up to defend LeBron tonight. I would never think of a point guard defending LeBron by tactical choice, but was really impressed by his ability to stave off LeBron in match ups. LeBron had a great game but I was impressed with the job Reggie did. I guess it makes sense in some ways because Reggie is strong laterally and LeBron really doesn't post up hardly ever and nobody fears his jump shot. I would take Reggie if we could get him.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#36 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:Satoransky I have always felt made sense for us, he's 6-7 and has a strong bball iq and floor vision. Satoransky is not the defender Livingston was who was a really strong defender for a point guard. But Satoransky has a better outside shot than Shaun ever had and the extra spacing could be nice.

I was really surprised tonight seeing Reggie Jackson being matched up to defend LeBron tonight. I would never think of a point guard defending LeBron by tactical choice, but was really impressed by his ability to stave off LeBron in match ups. LeBron had a great game but I was impressed with the job Reggie did. I guess it makes sense in some ways because Reggie is strong laterally and LeBron really doesn't post up hardly ever and nobody fears his jump shot. I would take Reggie if we could get him.

I agree on RJax, I think he's going to settle in as a longtime backup PG. Unfortunately for us, he's perfect for the Clippers and could play just as many minutes as Beverley. He's also ideal opposite Lou Williams defensively with his strong frame and quick feet. I think he gets a multi-year MLE deal with them next season.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#37 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:01 pm

I've been doing a bit more research, and it doesn't seem that Bulls fans are as high on Sato as some of us are. To be honest, it seems like some of them want to get rid of him. If that's the case, is that good for us? I get the feeling we can honestly get him using the TPE and a few seconds.
TB
General Manager

Post#38 » by TB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:04 pm

Thad Young still seems like the best option of players that may not require giving any picks up. Let's say we can't snag a guy like Smart or Oubre using TPE and a pick...

What about a scenario where we go:
Thad Young for TPE
Marc Gasol for MLE
Kennard for Looney, 2021 1st, 2020 2nd
Draft a big (wiseman or poku or okongwu)

Starters: Steph / Klay / Wiggins / Dray / Gasol

Core Bench: Kennard, Thad, Paschall, Chriss, rookie

Deep Bench: Lee, Bowman, Poole, Smiley, 2nd round pick or Juan/Mulder
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#39 » by killmongrel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:15 pm

TB wrote:Thad Young still seems like the best option of players that may not require giving any picks up. Let's say we can't snag a guy like Smart or Oubre using TPE and a pick...

Thad Young for TPE
Marc Gasol for MLE

I just don't like the idea of using the TPE for another pf. You're right though, we wouldn't have to use any significant assets to get Thad. With that said, I kinda would rather try to get Spellman back if we added another 4 and he'd be cheap since the Wolves don't want anything to do with him. Heck, I think we can get Marvin Williams for the vet. minimum.
TB
General Manager

Post#40 » by TB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 pm

killmongrel wrote:
TB wrote:Thad Young still seems like the best option of players that may not require giving any picks up. Let's say we can't snag a guy like Smart or Oubre using TPE and a pick...

Thad Young for TPE
Marc Gasol for MLE

I just don't like the idea of using the TPE for another pf. You're right though, we wouldn't have to use any significant assets to get Thad. With that said, I kinda would rather try to get Spellman back if we added another 4 and he'd be cheap since the Wolves don't want anything to do with him. Heck, I think we can get Marvin Williams for the vet. minimum.

Yup I hear you on the PF spot since we got Paschall. In my head I see it as a quick way of solidifying every position by getting a vet guard, forward, center. I also read something that Thad was near the top of NBA when it comes to guarding the best opposition forwards in the league. You could put him on a Lebron, Giannis, Luka type and feel okay doing it.

Not my number 1 priority with the TPE, but I think its a safe option to get a solid vet that can defend and hit shots.

Return to Golden State Warriors