ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Knicks Hire Thibs - Official PG 64 - Woodson expected to join pg 66

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,085

Re: Woj: Knicks Hire Thibs - Official PG 64 - Woodson expected to join pg 66 

Post#1581 » by blueNorange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:16 pm

i wonder what the rest of the coaching staff is going to look like. i'm guessing mike miller is one of the coaches. i wonder if some of the other guys they interviewed will get a role.

who's going to be the big man coach? that's very important for mitchell's development, even tho tbh the person they had before seemed to do a good job because mitch had a nice touch when he had to lay it in.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,258

Post#1582 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Jimmy knows what’s up.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,339

Post#1583 » by rajajackal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:40 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jimmy knows what’s up.

and look, he isn't run down even though most of his career he's been coached by Thibs. interesting...lol
knickstape21
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,738

Post#1584 » by knickstape21 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:45 pm

Love Jimmy Butler we need someone like that. Good stuff
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1585 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
I absolutely love this.

Keep doing work www/Leon!!!!!!

he's just re-assembling his CHI/MIN staff's + Woodson and/or Miller; this was widely expected

“Meanwhile, there have been internal talks about Pat Zipfel joining as either an advance scout or bench coach. Zipfel, who worked under Daryl Morey in Houston, is considered one of the NBA’s top advance scouts. Zipfel was Thibodeau’s advance man for part of his Bulls and Minnesota stints. The advance scout is considered part of the coaching staff.

Did not think zipfel would come on board. He is the best of the best in terms of scouting.

Again I absolutely love this.

you knew of Pat Zipfel? kudos if so, not sure how many people the advance scouts

I dont doubt that we'll be a prepared team under Thibs (which is the job of an advance scout: The advance scout is responsible for watching the opponent, diagramming all their plays, knowing their calls, knowing their side out of bounds plays and end of game plays. Then you report back to the coaching staff and suggest a game plan on how to win that game. The advance scout specializes in the knowledge of the game.)

but like I said, this is kinda expected that Thibs will be bringing the same people he had in CHI/MIN + Woodson and/or Miller
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#1586 » by Daaaarryyl » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, doesn't that say 1 yr development year (not quite "tank" but still) and that we'll see where we are/how it goes a yr from now etc.?

Hoping so with next year's draft possibly loaded.

IIRC Thibs wasn;t a playoff team out the gate in Minny. Think he had a bad 1st yr then they made the leap yr 2.

2 1sts (plus 2 high 2nds) in a loaded '21 draft is what the team needs badly.
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1587 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

blueNorange wrote:i wonder what the rest of the coaching staff is going to look like. i'm guessing mike miller is one of the coaches. i wonder if some of the other guys they interviewed will get a role.

who's going to be the big man coach? that's very important for mitchell's development, even tho tbh the person they had before seemed to do a good job because mitch had a nice touch when he had to lay it in.

his CHI/MIN guys + Woodson and or Miller. his Minnesota guys include (Andy Greer, Larry Greer, Ed Pinckney, Rick Brunson, Dice Yoshimoto, John Lucas III); if I had to guess 4 of those 6 will be hired (I dont think Brunson should be a candidate tho considering his multiple off-court issues)

I would have liked to go w/ some of the younger coaches like Mosley, Fleming (Bulls averaged the 5th-most wide-open shots per game this season)
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#1588 » by god shammgod » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:28 pm

Daaaarryyl wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, doesn't that say 1 yr development year (not quite "tank" but still) and that we'll see where we are/how it goes a yr from now etc.?

IIRC Thibs wasn;t a playoff team out the gate in Minny. Think he had a bad 1st yr then they made the leap yr 2.

let's hope so. we could use one more tank year.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,258

Post#1589 » by TheGreenArrow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Like I said earlier.....

Keep doing work www/Leon!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#1590 » by El Poochio » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:25 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Read on Twitter

Lol at only one more

Sham already changing tunes :lol:

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1591 » by god shammgod » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 pm

El Poochio wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Daaaarryyl wrote:

Lol at only one more

listen, you gotta deal with reality. you better pray we at least get the 1.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#1592 » by El Poochio » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:49 pm

god shammgod wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

Lol at only one more

listen, you gotta deal with reality. you better pray we at least get the 1.

No denying that :lol:

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#1593 » by F N 11 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like I said earlier.....

This is going to happen. I Bet there will be lots of big names on the development staff. Knicks going up.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
aggo
RealGM
And1: 5,732

Post#1594 » by aggo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:53 pm

never forget

knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1595 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:15 pm

F N 11 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like I said earlier.....

This is going to happen. I Bet there will be lots of big names on the development staff. Knicks going up.

this article doesn't really shed any new light; mentions the same assistants we've been hearing for a while

it's still gonna be Thibs' assistants from CHI/MIN + Woodson and/or Miller. maybe we get Kenny Payne, but a Kentucky beat writer said its unlikely he leaves
NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Post#1596 » by NewYorkPride85 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:22 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like I said earlier.....

this article doesn't really shed any new light; mentions the same assistants we've been hearing for a while

it's still gonna be Thibs' assistants from CHI/MIN + Woodson and/or Miller. maybe we get Kenny Payne, but a Kentucky beat writer said its unlikely he leaves

The article doesn't shed new light? Did you even read it? Those player development coaches are in ADDITION to his assistant coaches.

"There is internal consideration in the organization to hire a significant number of player-development coaches for Thibodeau’s staff, per SNY sources.

Those coaches would be hired in addition to the assistant coaches who will work under Thibodeau."
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#1597 » by god shammgod » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:24 pm

Tom Thibodeau: Developing Knicks Youth Is Most Important Thing

New Knicks head coach Tom Thibodeau talks about how all his experience has led him to his "dream job," his vision on improving the team and the importance of RJ Barrett and Mitchell Robinson to the success of the Knicks.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach

Post#1598 » by knickstape4ever » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 pm

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:
F N 11 wrote:This is going to happen. I Bet there will be lots of big names on the development staff. Knicks going up.

The article doesn't shed new light? Did you even read it? Those player development coaches are in ADDITION to his assistant coaches.

"There is internal consideration in the organization to hire a significant number of player-development coaches for Thibodeau’s staff, per SNY sources.

Those coaches would be hired in addition to the assistant coaches who will work under Thibodeau."

yeah I did read it; my point, if you read that....is that we're still hearing the same names as coaches, coaches we've heard about for a while.

Here's the running list of coaches associated w/ job:
Mike Woodson
Mike Miller
Kenny Payne
Andy Greer
Larry Greer
Ed Pinckney
Rick Brunson
Dice Yoshimoto
John Lucas III

that's 9 people associated w/ assistant jobs for this team; typically NBA teams have 4-6 assistants (+ 2-3) player development coaches.

so if rumors are true, they'll hire most of these people, the same people we've known about for awhile, and will place give a few of them the title of "player development coach".....so like I said, the article doesn't shed much light....these are the same coaches we've already heard about
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,304

Post#1599 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:46 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

yeah I did read it; my point, if you read that....is that we're still hearing the same names as coaches, coaches we've heard about for a while.

Here's the running list of coaches associated w/ job:
Mike Woodson
Mike Miller
Kenny Payne
Andy Greer
Larry Greer
Ed Pinckney
Rick Brunson
Dice Yoshimoto
John Lucas III

that's 9 people associated w/ assistant jobs for this team; typically NBA teams have 4-6 assistants (+ 2-3) player development coaches.

so if rumors are true, they'll hire most of these people, the same people we've known about for awhile, and will place give a few of them the title of "player development coach".....so like I said, the article doesn't shed much light....these are the same coaches we've already heard about

My opinion. I think it's both, in that it'll be mostly that list (minus Brunson of course) so that's 8 mentioned names. Dropping Kenny Payne takes it down to 7.

Ah, forget me and my trying to figure out how many guys and which it is.

The Knicks mentioned wanting to have say in Thibs coaching staff.

I figure they'll have a say in at least 2 guys that Thibs might not have rushed to hire out of "familiarity"

Mike Miller - I think that's one name the Knicks insisted on. Knicks maintained Perry for continuity, Miller I think they want to reward as well for his G-League success, development there etc. (after Woodson)

Rod Strickland - Gut feeling Knicks hire Rod who has a good developmental reputation, ties to Knicks and the city, college ball.

If Thibs gets his advance scout guy, that's a lot of coaches. Not that I care. It's Dolan's money.
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,374

Post#1600 » by Zenzibar » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:14 am

Tom Thibodeau’s Knicks staffing search coming into focus

By Marc Berman July 31, 2020 | 2:40pm

Top NBA player: Tom Thibodeau will help young Knicks

Tom Thibodeau on how Knicks coaching staff will be formed

Jamal Crawford talks Nets future, Tom Thibodeau, Kobe Bryant's death

Tom Thibodeau's seriousness is just what Knicks need now
As Tom Thibodeau and the Knicks front office go over names for the new coaching staff in the coming days, one blast from Thibodeau’s past – and New York’s past – will come up.

According to an NBA source, Ed Pinckney, the former Villanova star who won an NCAA title and is a product of the South Bronx projects, is expected to be strongly considered.

Pinckney who won the PSAL title in 1980 with Stevenson High, weaved a 12-year NBA career, became a Villanova assistant, then spent five seasons with Thibodeau in Chicago before joining him briefly in Minnesota. Pinckney was let go by the Wolves after the 2018-19 season months after Thibodeau was fired.

The 6-foot-9 former power forward would be brought in to be the Knicks big-man coach. Under David Fizdale, assistant Pat Sullivan worked with the bigs, got along well with center Mitchell Robinson and was chosen by GM Scott Perry. Sullivan still has a year left on his contract. It’s unclear if Perry will push for Sullivan, a Jersey native, to return.

Meanwhile, there have been internal talks about Pat Zipfel joining as either an advance scout or bench coach. Zipfel, who worked under Daryl Morey in Houston, is considered one of the NBA’s top advance scouts. Zipfel was Thibodeau’s advance man for part of his Bulls and Minnesota stints. The advance scout is considered part of the coaching staff.

Stop All Genocides

Return to New York Knicks