ImageImageImageImageImage

Woody back baby!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Woody back baby!! 

Post#41 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:25 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think we would have lost to Pacers regardless. They had the best player in George and Knicks didn’t really have an answer for Hibbert. They overreacted to Hibbert situation and went and got Bargnani the following season.

Meant to add that a healthy Sheed would have been that difference-maker that maybe would have helped us win that Pacers series.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,241

Post#42 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:37 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:I think we would have lost to Pacers regardless. They had the best player in George and Knicks didn’t really have an answer for Hibbert. They overreacted to Hibbert situation and went and got Bargnani the following season.

Melo was better than Paul George, he just played hurt.

Honestly, between Melo playing with a torn labrum thanks to David West and KG, Chandler getting sick and being a complete no-show for the second year in a row, and JR elbowing Terry up 3-0 for no reason and playing drunk for most of the playoffs, that postseason just leaves a sour taste. At full strength, and JR kept in check, we would’ve beaten Indy in 6 or 7 and given Miami a run for their money. Just unfortunate circumstances.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#43 » by GONYK » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:40 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

Melo was better than Paul George, he just played hurt.

Honestly, between Melo playing with a torn labrum thanks to David West and KG, Chandler getting sick and being a complete no-show for the second year in a row, and JR elbowing Terry up 3-0 for no reason and playing drunk for most of the playoffs, that postseason just leaves a sour taste. At full strength, and JR kept in check, we would’ve beaten Indy in 6 or 7 and given Miami a run for their money. Just unfortunate circumstances.

We were custom built to take on Miami that year. I think we still lose to them, but we would have been a tough out.

I think Chandler, more than anyone, really let us down. Followed by Woodson, then JR.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#44 » by knickabocker88 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:58 pm

We lost to the pacers because JR wanted to get with Rihianna before game 1 and Woody wanted to play "BIG".

Heck, I'd argue JR throwing the stupid elbow against Boston, hurt us too.

After the game 6 loss, I thought Shumpert was going to be a player. Unnecessary 3 extra games played

Shame
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#45 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:00 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:We lost to the pacers because JR wanted to get with Rihianna before game 1 and Woody wanted to play "BIG".

After the game 6 loss, I thought Shumpert was going to be a player. Unnecessary 3 extra games played

Shame

Hey I ain’t mad at JR. You shoot your shot when it comes to Rihanna.
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#46 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Gravy wrote:
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Felt like the players enjoyed Woody's rah rah enthusiasm until they tuned him out.

The 'took over for Pringles' to finish out the year they played hard for him and the team seemed happy etc
2nd season that enthusiasm and buy in remained. Obviously vets like Kidd etc helped, but again, his motivational techniques still worked

3rd season, it was obvious that in spite of his rah rah motivational style, the players were tuning him out.
My opinion, which could be wrong, is that as pros they realized he was somewhat lacking and the motivational stuff didn't play anymore.

But, as an assistant coach, I think that kind of attitude will help working with players, communicating to them, motivating them.

I wouldn't have liked him back as a head coach with better options available, but as an assistant, I think it's a good, solid hire.

I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.

2012-13 they were good and went to the 2nd round, it was 2014 when it all fell apart. I think it was 90 percent because of the loss of Jason Kidd. It started during the Pacers series when he couldn't hit a shot anymore. Having a good pg changes so much for us its a shame we haven't had one in so long.

Yep screwed up my years. Also Donnie Walsh leaving in 11 was sort of the writing on the wall. Not surprising we fell apart quickly after that.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#47 » by knickabocker88 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm

knickabocker88 wrote:We lost to the pacers because JR wanted to get with Rihianna before game 1 and Woody wanted to play "BIG".

Shame

Hey I ain’t mad at JR. You shoot your shot when it comes to Rihanna.

You dont want RIhanna to call you dusty in front of the entire world after you stink up the joint.

LBJ gets extra points for winning a title with JR Smith as his starting shooting guard.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,755

Post#48 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:22 pm

Woody's role is still "undetermined" so he's putting together a lunch order

What do you guys want?

Pastami?
A slice?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,435

Post#49 » by Capn'O » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm

Gravy wrote:
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.

2012-13 they were good and went to the 2nd round, it was 2014 when it all fell apart. I think it was 90 percent because of the loss of Jason Kidd. It started during the Pacers series when he couldn't hit a shot anymore. Having a good pg changes so much for us its a shame we haven't had one in so long.

Yep screwed up my years. Also Donnie Walsh leaving in 11 was sort of the writing on the wall. Not surprising we fell apart quickly after that.

Tyson's injury was a huge part of the regression. He was our second best player in 14 and covered for a lot of Melo's deficiencies. Even when he returned, he wasn't quite as good.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,915

Post#50 » by blueNorange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Hopefully this means stretch 4 is back.

why do people tout “melo at the 4” as some brilliant innovation in coaching from woodson?

he fell into playing melo there by accident after amare went down and went right back to traditional big lineups when amare was healthy. part of the reason we lost the pacer series is because he didn’t have the stones to commit to what worked.

melo told woodson he doesn't like playing the 4, that's why the knicks traded for bargnani.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,541

Post#51 » by Gravy » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Woody's role is still "undetermined" so he's putting together a lunch order

What do you guys want?

Pastami?
A slice?

A meatball hero with Primo of course
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,755

Post#52 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:48 pm

Gravy wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Woody's role is still "undetermined" so he's putting together a lunch order

What do you guys want?

Pastami?
A slice?

A meatball hero with Primo of course

How about ordering from the Dominican restaurant?

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,915

Post#53 » by blueNorange » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 pm

it's funny because mitchell robinson is the perfect big to have if you wanna switch on defense.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,241

Post#54 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 pm

Gravy wrote:
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.

We actually got better after Donnie stepped down.

If I remember correctly, it was Grunwald who fired D’Antoni and promoted Woodson, signed Chandler and signed all those vets and shooters. All these moves were critical in making us a legitimately good team and getting us the #2 seed. Of course, the Melo trade executed by Walsh with Dolan’s gun pointed at his dome was the first move towards the success of 2012-13, so credit is due in that regard.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#55 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:53 am

Tron Carter wrote:
F N 11 wrote:Hopefully this means stretch 4 is back.

why do people tout “melo at the 4” as some brilliant innovation in coaching from woodson?

he fell into playing melo there by accident after amare went down and went right back to traditional big lineups when amare was healthy. part of the reason we lost the pacer series is because he didn’t have the stones to commit to what worked.

One thing I liked about the 54-win season was having two playmakers in the back court.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#56 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:30 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:Obligatory. Mandatory watch for noobs to understand the Woodson philosophy and inner psyche. There is great power in simplicity.

Likeable guy, wish him well.

I dont agree but I haven't laughed so hard in a long time anyway.

Ya know some critics accused us of having an iso Melo offense. Then some said the only reason we won is because of our love of threes. The fact that they can't pinpoint it shows he actually had a decent offense. And what's crazy is that he abandoned it when he needed it the most which led to his downfall. Got caught up trying to match up with the Pacers instead of making them chase us and what we do. Next season FO agreed with him and ........we got Bargnagni yall smh.

But that team moved the ball, took 3pters and got the ball to thier best player where he liked it, played defense, kept it simplistic like you said and ended up with the second best record in the east. Idk why history wants us to forget it or bash it. What you watched folks was a good team. You're allowed to be proud of it.

I remember that dumb computer program they use to predict wins and all the analysts almost across the board bashed Melo as a cancer, Woodson as nothing more than a backstabbing replacement for Dantoni and the knicks as being too old to win more than like 30 games or so. Then once we won all of a sudden that very thing was the reason we couldn't give Woodson his credit. This after Amare is hurt all yr, half the team we thought we'd have all got hurt. Woodson dealt with allot that yr and never made excuses-next man up. And it seemed the more he adjusted and failed to make excuses, the more his critics got salty. Then it became that Kidd was the coach and Melo only won cuz of vet leadership. Just give people thier due. Sorry ballsacbounce, that was more rant than directed at you. I enjoyed the video.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,978

Post#57 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:18 pm

BallSacBounce wrote:Obligatory. Mandatory watch for noobs to understand the Woodson philosophy and inner psyche. There is great power in simplicity.

Likeable guy, wish him well.

:lol: Classic
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,918

Post#58 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:24 pm

Gravy wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Felt like the players enjoyed Woody's rah rah enthusiasm until they tuned him out.

The 'took over for Pringles' to finish out the year they played hard for him and the team seemed happy etc
2nd season that enthusiasm and buy in remained. Obviously vets like Kidd etc helped, but again, his motivational techniques still worked

3rd season, it was obvious that in spite of his rah rah motivational style, the players were tuning him out.
My opinion, which could be wrong, is that as pros they realized he was somewhat lacking and the motivational stuff didn't play anymore.

But, as an assistant coach, I think that kind of attitude will help working with players, communicating to them, motivating them.

I wouldn't have liked him back as a head coach with better options available, but as an assistant, I think it's a good, solid hire.

I think losing all those vets and the bitterness that Melo and JR felt towards Linsanity all led to the regression in 2012-2013.

That stuff happens in the playoffs. The refs let the players play hard, fouls are called less, game slows down, teams gameplan against each other, players target each other, players get tired, etc. Those type of grind-it-out games are expected. The main issue was that there was a lack of toughness and leadership, that allowed us to win the type of ugly game of Pacers took us through. We tried to fix it with Sheed and Kidd, but it's similar to what happened with the New Jersey Nets. When Deron Williams don't give a **** about winning basketball, what are an older KG and Pierce gonna actually accomplish?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,918

Post#59 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:27 pm

KnicksGod wrote:... I get a feeling Melo is coming back.

Guys on this forum tell me I need to trust Leon Rose and give him the benefit of the doubt. So i will. I think Rose is a smart guy and knows how to build a winning basketball team and culture. So nope, Melo is not coming back next year.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,978

Post#60 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:29 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:... I get a feeling Melo is coming back.

Guys on this forum tell me I need to trust Leon Rose and give him the benefit of the doubt. So i will. I think Rose is a smart guy and knows how to build a winning basketball team and culture. So nope, Melo is not coming back next year.

Yeah he definitely doesn’t play winning basketball at all.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks