Why have the Mavs blown so many leads in the Second Half this season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Why have the Mavs blown so many leads in the Second Half this season? 

Post#1 » by BladeDaywalker » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:33 am

Tonight against the Rockets, the Mavs blew a 7 points lead with under a minute to go in the 4th Quarter.

Now, this has been a repeating occurrence during the season for the Mavs. They have lost numerous game due to blowing leads in the 4th quarter when they were in control of the game.

The most famous example this season has to be when the Mavs led by 30 points with 2:52 remaining in the 3rd Quarter against the Raptors and lost the game.

Why does this keep happening over and over to the Mavs?

Is Carlisle unable to figure out what is happening, are the Mavs incapable of preventing it from happening, or do they not listen to what Carlisle is telling them when they have a lead?
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Re: Why have the Mavs blown so many leads in the Second Half this season? 

Post#2 » by OGLife » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:34 am

Too much Luka, all the time.
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,810

Post#3 » by Homer38 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:34 am

Maybe this is because their 2 best players are young with zero playoffs experience
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,178

Post#4 » by Statlanta » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:36 am

They are inexperienced.

There were many times in the 4th quarter where the Rockets pulled veteran moves in the game

like how one poster noted how Tucker armlocked KP and put Porzingis in a position he couldn't get a rebound.

They will get their Zenkai Boost in the playoffs.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,810

Post#5 » by Homer38 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:37 am

Read on Twitter
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,050

Post#6 » by SlovenianDragon » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:37 am

I think Barea is the back-bone of the Mavs and without him it hurts.
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Post#7 » by BladeDaywalker » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:38 am

Homer38 wrote:Maybe this is because their 2 best players are young with zero playoffs experience

These losses have nothing to do with playoffs experiences. It would be one thing if the Mavs lost these leads in the playoffs because they haven't learned how to win at that stage.

However, these are all preventable losses that goes beyond experience. I mean they lost a 30 points lead to the Raptors and tonight they led by 7 with just 45 seconds left. You don't need playoffs experience to win games like that.
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#8 » by wolfram » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:40 am

They seem passive after big, comfortable leads. Their defence is bad and after they go cold on offence they're in trouble. Coach could do a better job of changing something as this is now a pattern. Don't know why they become so stagnant on offence.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#9 » by leolozon » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:44 am

Carlisle has choked many games for them too and he has experience. Luka was good in the clutch last year as a rookie, but he sucks this year. It's not just about experience.

They've been bad under pressure, they've been atrocious in OT this year. I think that every one who has been watching them knew that it was over the moment they went to OT.

It doesn't help that Luka doesn't have great stamina and keeps spamming dumb 3s. Which is why I couldn't believe how few rest he got in the 4th. It made absolutely no sense to see him come back that fast. He played 37min before OT. He averaged 33mpg this year and it was his first game in over 4 months. I don't even understand why RC keeps changing his substitution pattern with him.

They play great as a team, but it's still a bunch of role players and Luka seems to lose his focus easily.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,250

Post#10 » by MrGoat » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:47 am

Young team woes. Technically we're not even a young team on average age but our two best players are very young. Letting Covington get that putback on the missed free throw was just inexcusable though
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,684

Post#11 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:47 am

OGLife wrote:Too much Luka, all the time.

I think a lot of it is this. Which is odd because last year as a rookie he was fabulous in those moments. But he's not been good at the end of games. And with Barea out of the rotation and Brunson hurt they really don't have anyone else who can consistently create offense. Delon Wright isn't that guy. THJ isn't that guy. Curry isn't that guy.

Rick is too smart and the Mavs have too much offensive talent so this almost has to be a sample size issue but we were spoiled with Dirk being such a consistent clutch time guy that it's certainly painful to watch so many winnable games get away but they are going to be a one and done in the playoffs if they don't fix this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,785

Post#12 » by Tor_Raps » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:50 am

It's a young team that's exceeding their curve. No one had the mavs being this good this season. Dont let some bad choke jobs ruin that. It's part of the learning curve.
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#13 » by Jazztop » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:55 am

Choker Doncic
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,298

Post#14 » by Dr Aki » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:56 am

no D
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#15 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:04 am

Just speaking for tonight's game. Trey Burke was on fire all game and in the clutch he takes him out and puts Curry back in who was having a bad day shooting the ball. You ride the hot hand.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#16 » by Jcity08 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:05 am

There needs to be more late game discipline as well, that foul on Harden near the end of the 4th was absolutely atrocious and left me scratching my head. You force Harden to take a tough 3 and live with the consequences.

And luckily it was a two shot foul instead of a three shot foul but then to allow a putback of a purposely missed free throw was just terrible.

Theres no disciple and a lack of urgency late in the clock.

The talent on the Mavs is not an issue, if this roster was coached by Pop for example, he wouldn't stand for those type of mistakes and lack of execution.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,508

Post#17 » by sikma42 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:07 am

Jcity08 wrote:There needs to be more late game discipline as well, that foul on Harden near the end of the 4th was absolutely atrocious and left me scratching my head. You force Harden to take a tough 3 and live with the consequences.

And luckily it was a two shot foul instead of a three shot foul but then to allow a putback of a purposely missed free throw was just terrible.

The talent on the Mavs is not an issue, if this roster was coached by Pop for example, he wouldn't stand for those type of mistakes and lack of execution.
I doubt the team would be any better with Pop. They are well coached and made Pop his share of mistakes closing games. Carlisle is an all time great coach too.

Its a young team going through growing pains.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,044

Post#18 » by Lalouie » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:12 am

at this point,,,,,,they're thinking about it.

and they're young.

all the vet team have won so far, folks. i don't see this trend NOT continuing throughout the bubble
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#19 » by Jcity08 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:22 am

sikma42 wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:There needs to be more late game discipline as well, that foul on Harden near the end of the 4th was absolutely atrocious and left me scratching my head. You force Harden to take a tough 3 and live with the consequences.

I doubt the team would be any better with Pop. They are well coached and made Pop his share of mistakes closing games. Carlisle is an all time great coach too.

Its a young team going through growing pains.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

I'm not knocking Rick Carlisle's coaching. But the lack of discipline late game is why teams blow leads in such a manner. Coach Pop has his flaws but he'll also bench players like Luka just to make a point.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#20 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:26 am

OGLife wrote:Too much Luka, all the time.

That and he seems out of shape. He needs to work on his conditioning- he seemed out of shape even before shutdown

Return to The General Board