ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks reportedly remain open to trading Julius Randle

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Knicks reportedly remain open to trading Julius Randle 

Post#161 » by br7knicks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:59 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Good sign that we are open to trade him, but it will be tough to find a decent deal. Give me Batums contract and a 2nd rounder or something and id be happy...even for just Batum i would do it just to move on

I can see him going in a blockbuster deal where we are giving up draft picks.

It's the Knicks. So there's a good chance it'll be randle, picks, rj, and Mitch for a guy like kyrie or hayward
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
br7knicks

Post#162 » by br7knicks » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:06 pm

Ris_44 wrote:Same Question could be asked of many players. Booker, Young, Fox, KAT (without Butler) among others have never been or made their teams better. Would you say they suck because of that? If you focus on the negatives you can never build a positive winning culture.

Lets also not forget that the Lakers should have signed Randle back and chose to keep Larry Nance over him which was a mistake. And Had Anthony Davis not been Holding out and asking for a trade that team would have probably been much better. Those are two situations where He would have been in good teams...

You expect Randle to carry a team and get upset when he can't do it on his own. This is the biggest knicks fans and front office problem. Instead of building around players strengths, they expect more than a player is capable off and then use said player as an escape goat for the whole team. Shipping Randle for nothing or a downgrade would be a mistake.

It's not those guys suck, they just have no interest in playing defense. All of those guys, as your number 1, will lead to no playoff success.

I'm rooting for playoffs and success.

So I want nothing to do with any of those player you mentioned, except...except Butler lol
RIP, magnumt '19

NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Post#163 » by NewYorkPride85 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:42 pm

br7knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Good sign that we are open to trade him, but it will be tough to find a decent deal. Give me Batums contract and a 2nd rounder or something and id be happy...even for just Batum i would do it just to move on

It's the Knicks. So there's a good chance it'll be randle, picks, rj, and Mitch for a guy like kyrie or hayward

Not so sure about that. Doesn't really make sense to make such a who investment into player development if you're getting rid off all of your young players.

https://sny.tv/articles/sources-knicks-interested-in-hiring-significant-number-of-player-development-coaches-for-tom-thibodeau-s-staff
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#164 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 pm

br7knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I think Mitch stays. Thibs has never really had an athletic big man like Mitch before. RJ could go in a deal with Randle and picks but not for Kyrie. That ship has sailed, thankfully, and Hayward had that nasty Achilles rupture. I don't see it. But there are so many other ways we can screw this up! :D
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#165 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:33 pm

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Not so sure about that. Doesn't really make sense to make such a who investment into player development if you're getting rid off all of your young players.

https://sny.tv/articles/sources-knicks-interested-in-hiring-significant-number-of-player-development-coaches-for-tom-thibodeau-s-staff

Who knows, maybe Thibs is looking forward to coaching some young talent who might be more interested in listening to/learning from him. I can see where a change of scenery like this might juice an experienced head coach so long as they come in with the right mind set.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Post#166 » by NewYorkPride85 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:40 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Who knows, maybe Thibs is looking forward to coaching some young talent who might be more interested in listening to/learning from him. I can see where a change of scenery like this might juice an experienced head coach so long as they come in with the right mind set.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thibs had a young team in Chicago and he was able to coach them up because they havn't done a thing in the league to deserve it. Towns and Wiggins have been in the league for a while so they feel a bit entitled. There's a reason Jimmy went off on them right after he was traded out of Minnesota and still praises Thibs to this day.
br7knicks

Post#167 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:02 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

I'm kidding, guys. Was making fun of this FO. The same franchise that traded their assets ten years ago, and also who traded KP to dump thjr.
RIP, magnumt '19

nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,213

Post#168 » by nyknicks09 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:31 am

He doesn’t fit here. Our coach will not tolerate his lack of awareness on both sides of the court. He’s just another overpaid player without the ball on his hands and we all know what happens when he spins his way around dribbling the ball :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hopefully Thibbs gives this young team a chance to improve and gel together.
New York Knicks
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#169 » by Polk377 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:33 am

I would like to see Randle stay and see if Thibs can get through to him with his structure. His offense typically needs a big who can pass the ball through the high post and Randle is a good passer. The problem is if Randle has free reign to do what he wants he will make bonehead plays. Randle needs to understand that he is at his best in quick action situations. I think Thibs can get the best out of him.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#170 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:37 am

Carlos Boozer and KAT were bigs he succeeded with despite their shortcomings on defense. I could see Thibbs getting Randle right. I could see Randle having the impact we optimistically hoped he would have when we realized he was our lone big free agent grab.
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,167

Post#171 » by aq_ua » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:53 am

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Carlos Boozer and KAT were bigs he succeeded with despite their shortcomings on defense. I could see Thibbs getting Randle right. I could see Randle having the impact we optimistically hoped he would have when we realized he was our lone big free agent grab.

The Boozer vs. Randle comparison is an interesting one. There's some history there, with Boozer starting for the Lakers ahead of Randle, and I believe they stay close. Boozer worked in Chicago by being the third option with an offense built around MVP Derrick Rose. Randle might work in that same context - with the caveat that we of course would need viable first and second options to begin with.

However, defense is a completely different story. Recall that Thibs had Taj Gibson to call on when Boozer was too much of a liability on defense. His minutes with the Bulls kept falling because of his defensive limitations, and was ultimately amnestied. I don't think Thibs is a miracle worker that can make anyone into a good defensive player. What Thibs does best is distribute minutes so that his better defenders stay on the floor longer.

Assuming Randle is still here come the winter, I expect his minutes will be noticeably lower under the Thibs regime, with the slack taken up by Taj and another defensive big we add in the offseason.
br7knicks

Post#172 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:10 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Carlos Boozer and KAT were bigs he succeeded with despite their shortcomings on defense. I could see Thibbs getting Randle right. I could see Randle having the impact we optimistically hoped he would have when we realized he was our lone big free agent grab.

that's an interesting comparison. boozer was a much smarter player, though. he knew his limitations, even on offense, and wouldn't try to force it the same way randle did, nearly every game.

then again, boozer wasn't the #1 option in chicago.

but my hope is that thibs creates a way for randle to be successful, if we're going to be continually subjected to him being on the knicks.
RIP, magnumt '19

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#173 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:10 pm

Polk377 wrote:I would like to see Randle stay and see if Thibs can get through to him with his structure. His offense typically needs a big who can pass the ball through the high post and Randle is a good passer. The problem is if Randle has free reign to do what he wants he will make bonehead plays. Randle needs to understand that he is at his best in quick action situations. I think Thibs can get the best out of him.

He had Carlos Boozer playing defense so....

The other thing is he won't have Randke having to constantly apologize for failing to be a stretch 4. So maybe by giving him some value offensively (in terms of impact), Randle in return can give him some effort. Thats how these relationships work. But Christian Wood is a bit overrated and had nothing more than your typical pre-knick signing one good half yr and we're already on his nuts. And yes Gallo would get us spread out more and make the offense a bit funner to watch, but eventually his 6 rebounds and defense could annoy us as well.

You might as well just wait till trade deadline when he's closer to being an expiring contract. And I dont mean to bash the guys above but the grass is always greener in NY and must of the time we're fawning over guys with thier own flaws. I wanna see what Thibs can do. Guys step up for good coaches and cultures.
br7knicks

Post#174 » by br7knicks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:11 pm

Polk377 wrote:I would like to see Randle stay and see if Thibs can get through to him with his structure. His offense typically needs a big who can pass the ball through the high post and Randle is a good passer. The problem is if Randle has free reign to do what he wants he will make bonehead plays. Randle needs to understand that he is at his best in quick action situations. I think Thibs can get the best out of him.

randle definitely did well with passing, for a big man. the problem is, he's not a smart player, so i'd have concern over him having the ball in his hands. as long as thibs holds him accountable, like you said in regards to his boneheaded plays, there might be some success
RIP, magnumt '19

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,448

Post#175 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:36 pm

aq_ua wrote:

The Boozer vs. Randle comparison is an interesting one. There's some history there, with Boozer starting for the Lakers ahead of Randle, and I believe they stay close. Boozer worked in Chicago by being the third option with an offense built around MVP Derrick Rose. Randle might work in that same context - with the caveat that we of course would need viable first and second options to begin with.

However, defense is a completely different story. Recall that Thibs had Taj Gibson to call on when Boozer was too much of a liability on defense. His minutes with the Bulls kept falling because of his defensive limitations, and was ultimately amnestied. I don't think Thibs is a miracle worker that can make anyone into a good defensive player. What Thibs does best is distribute minutes so that his better defenders stay on the floor longer.

Assuming Randle is still here come the winter, I expect his minutes will be noticeably lower under the Thibs regime, with the slack taken up by Taj and another defensive big we add in the offseason.

The league is different now where you need more shooters/spacing. PFs like Boozer are a dying breed unless they can shoot 3s or you surround them with shooters.

I think Randle can still be productive on the right team, but he clashes with Mitch and RJ. Rather then waste time getting Randle right, i would worry about making things better for Mitch and RJ. we need more of a versatile defensive stretch 4 type to open up space for them.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Obitron64
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#176 » by Obitron64 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:33 pm

We should just trade Spencer Dinwiddie for Randle. It helps out both teams and both guys are in NY already so it works well for them.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,871

Post#177 » by GONYK » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:09 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:

He had Carlos Boozer playing defense so....

The other thing is he won't have Randke having to constantly apologize for failing to be a stretch 4. So maybe by giving him some value offensively (in terms of impact), Randle in return can give him some effort. Thats how these relationships work. But Christian Wood is a bit overrated and had nothing more than your typical pre-knick signing one good half yr and we're already on his nuts. And yes Gallo would get us spread out more and make the offense a bit funner to watch, but eventually his 6 rebounds and defense could annoy us as well.

You might as well just wait till trade deadline when he's closer to being an expiring contract. And I dont mean to bash the guys above but the grass is always greener in NY and must of the time we're fawning over guys with thier own flaws. I wanna see what Thibs can do. Guys step up for good coaches and cultures.

I would easily trade Randle's 4 additional rebounds for Gallo's 3pt shooting and playmaking.

The defense is a wash.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#178 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:56 pm

Just a proposal but Randle/Knox and a Dallas 1st for Aaron Gordon and Bamba work for both teams IMO.

For Odlando they seem to be all in on Isaac/Vucevic front court. Randle could somewhat consolidate things for them as a productive backup PF/C, while Knox could play combo forward, then of course adding a pick.

For us we move Randle for Gordon who is more of a stretch 4 but can defend and rebound. And we can solidify our C position with Mitch and Bamba as his backup. Then you could still sign Gallo to play either forward spot

PF-Gallo/ Gordon
C-Mitch/Bamba

Or again you could play Gallo at SF and start Gordon.
br7knicks

Post#179 » by br7knicks » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:31 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:Just a proposal but Randle/Knox and a Dallas 1st for Aaron Gordon and Bamba work for both teams IMO.

For Odlando they seem to be all in on Isaac/Vucevic front court. Randle could somewhat consolidate things for them as a productive backup PF/C, while Knox could play combo forward, then of course adding a pick.

For us we move Randle for Gordon who is more of a stretch 4 but can defend and rebound. And we can solidify our C position with Mitch and Bamba as his backup. Then you could still sign Gallo to play either forward spot

PF-Gallo/ Gordon
C-Mitch/Bamba

I'd do that in a heartbeat, but doubt Orlando would

I'd also have Gordon guarding SFs, not Gallo. Gordon is younger and more athletic
RIP, magnumt '19

Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,392

Post#180 » by Synciere » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:52 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:Just a proposal but Randle/Knox and a Dallas 1st for Aaron Gordon and Bamba work for both teams IMO.

PF-Gallo/ Gordon
C-Mitch/Bamba

I'd do that in a heartbeat, but doubt Orlando would

I'd also have Gordon guarding SFs, not Gallo. Gordon is younger and more athletic

Yeah I had Gordon as a top target this coming off season (whenever that would be) but with Isaac going down with a torn ACL yesterday, Gordon's price probably just went up.

Return to New York Knicks