Does Toronto have reason to be optimistic for making the finals this year without Kawhi?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Does Toronto have a good reason to feel optimistic this year without Kawhi to make the finals?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes: 143

drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Re: Does Toronto have reason to be optimistic for making the finals this year without Kawhi? 

Post#41 » by drosereturn » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:43 am

Best coach, Best system, Champ exp, Best depth, and a weak conference.
Favorites to make it to ECF. Finals contenders to say the least.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,427

Re: Does Toronto have reason to be optimistic for making the finals this year without Kawhi? 

Post#42 » by Jcity08 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:58 am

I mean I was optimistic during the times we were one and done in the playoffs, nothing can take away my optimism.

But the Bucks are legit title contenders & heavy favourites in the East and I can recognize that too.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Koreandoo
Junior
And1: 797

Post#43 » by Koreandoo » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:26 am

I still don’t get people calling the east weak I think the east was never better in the last 10 years. The pressure is on the bucks and I think we have the best chance even tho we didn’t delivered last year the team learned about it.

But for me the Celtics and the Raptors are really close, they have great teams and player able to get into the finals. I have the raptors slightly higher than the Celtics because of experience especially if you compare Lowry and Walker.

You have two dark horses in Philly and Miami, Miami did really well against the top teams and Spo is one of the best Coaches out there but outside of Butler not many playoff experience as a Bucks fan I know this can hurt but they are still dangerous. Philly should be up but something seems weird it seems like they are not clipping but the talent level is still enormous so if they get hot I think there is a solid chance.

Indiana is pretty good but as long as Oladipo is a bit rusty I don’t see them in the Finals so more of outsider role, but I definitely believe they could reach ECF and annoy some teams.

But I’m definitely tired of hearing how bad the east is, last year Portland reached WCF and at least 3 east teams were better. The east is still bad outside of 7 teams ( I count a healthy Nets squad) but nowhere near as bad as mid 2010s.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,341

Post#44 » by tanuki1031 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:41 am

No, the Raptors should be pessimistic and relocate the franchise to San Diego. Maybe then Kawhi will re-join the franchise and ESPN will finally talk about them and pick them to win the championship.

No team should be optimistic unless they relocate to LA and Boston areas.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#45 » by Soulyss » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:57 am

Toronto is Grit & Grind v2.... No one in the east should feel good in a 7 game series against them... I don't think they will win it all but I don't think anyone wants to play them in the ECF.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#46 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:21 pm

Jcity08 wrote:I mean I was optimistic during the times we were one and done in the playoffs, nothing can take away my optimism.

But the Bucks are legit title contenders & heavy favourites in the East and I can recognize that too.

This. Either way the eventual champion is coming out of the east.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#47 » by LloydFree » Sat Aug 1, 2020 12:30 pm

Toronto should be optimistic. They need the matchups to fall their way, but they have enough to get out of the East. I don't think they matchup well with the Bucks, but I think if the Celtics or 76ers play the Bucks in the 2nd round, they may not have to play the Bucks. The Raptors can beat any of the 76ers, Celtics or Heat.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#48 » by First Step » Sat Aug 1, 2020 1:59 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
SFour wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Raptors have trouble scoring. Magic have one of the best defenses in the NBA. They have a player, Isaac, that was pretty much grown in a lab to slow down Siakam. Not saying Magic should be favored or anything but it might be closer than you think.

what did Siakam average in the 1st round against Magic/Isaac

22.6 points on 53/36/90........I don't see where Isaac slowed him, and that was last season, he's a much better player this season.

Siakam vs. Magic (mostly Isaac) this year: 17.3/11.0/4.0 and 3.0 TOVs on 42.4% TS in 110 mins. Last year Orlando used most of their defensive attention on Kawhi. It might be different this time around.

We've beat the Magic like 7 straight times.
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 500

Post#49 » by Isocleas2 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:03 pm

if Giannis gets injured Toronto has as good of a chance as anyone to come out of the East. I think Boston/Philly have more talent but Toronto is far more composed. The Raptors seem to get the most out of their roster with some serious synergy while Boston/Philly keep underachieving.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#50 » by NPZ » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:27 pm

Optms wrote:The East is a crap shoot.

Literally, more than figuratively. As in one of those surveillance cameras filming some cretin who pulls pants and shoots crap onto the sidewalk.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#51 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:09 pm

Has this question not been asked repeatedly since the minute he left?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#52 » by basketballRob » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:32 pm

First Step wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
SFour wrote:
what did Siakam average in the 1st round against Magic/Isaac

22.6 points on 53/36/90........I don't see where Isaac slowed him, and that was last season, he's a much better player this season.

Siakam vs. Magic (mostly Isaac) this year: 17.3/11.0/4.0 and 3.0 TOVs on 42.4% TS in 110 mins. Last year Orlando used most of their defensive attention on Kawhi. It might be different this time around.

Isaac looks much stronger now than even early this year. He physically matured late. I think he finally stopped growing at 6'11" and a 7'6" wingspan.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#53 » by First Step » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:37 pm

basketballRob wrote:
First Step wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Isaac looks much stronger now than even early this year. He physically matured late. I think he finally stopped growing at 6'11" and a 7'6" wingspan.

I like Isaac. I just see no evidence of the Magic being a threat to Raptors, as the Raptors seem to have their number.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#54 » by basketballRob » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:41 pm

First Step wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
First Step wrote:We've beat the Magic like 7 straight times.

I like Isaac. I just see no evidence of the Magic being a threat to Raptors, as the Raptors seem to have their number.
I really think they need to have Isaac guard and match minutes with Ibaka. They need to try something different.

Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#55 » by Duffman100 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:No one should feel optimistic against the Bucks outside of the LA teams.

Bucks going to have a real easy time making the finals.

I think you're under estimating both the Raptors and the Celtics.

I do believe the Bucks will make the finals, but I don't think the ECF will be easy at all.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#56 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:19 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:Toronto is a very good team one of the best defensive teams in the league

Does Toronto have a good reason to feel optimistic this year without Kawhi to make the finals?

This Raptor fan thinks that other Raptor fans have forgotten how difficult winning in the playoffs was before we had a superstar on offense.

The Raps are smart, very well coached and play hard but think Milwaukee would have to lose Giannis for any other EC team to have a realistic chance of beating them.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#57 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:25 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:I mean I was optimistic during the times we were one and done in the playoffs, nothing can take away my optimism.

This. Either way the eventual champion is coming out of the east.

You would pick Toronto or Boston over the Lakers or Clippers? :o
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#58 » by Duffman100 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:34 pm

Showtime23 wrote:Best coach, Best system, Champ exp, Best depth, and a weak conference.

Between Milwuakee, Toronto, Boston, Philly, Heat and (when healthy) Pacers... I wouldn't call the East a weak conference.

Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Houston, Jazz, Thunder. That top 6 is very comparable.
The_Hater

Post#59 » by The_Hater » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:46 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Showtime23 wrote:Best coach, Best system, Champ exp, Best depth, and a weak conference.

Between Milwuakee, Toronto, Boston, Philly, Heat and (when healthy) Pacers... I wouldn't call the East a weak conference.

Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Houston, Jazz, Thunder. That top 6 is very comparable.

That’s kinda cherry picking though Duff. 2/3 of the leagues top contenders reside in the west. You omitted Dallas, who is very good and considerably better than #7 in the east. 1-6 might look somewhat comparable but 7-15 in the west is considerably stronger than the east as a group to he point that it’s laughable. And the unbalanced conference schedules has also inflated the top team’s records in the east just like it does most seasons.

All that said, I’m still picking the Bucks to win the title, but part of the reason for that is because I think they have a far easier playoff map playing in the east then the Clips/Lakers have playing in the tougher conference.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#60 » by Duffman100 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:49 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

That’s kinda cherry picking though Duff. 2/3 of the leagues top contenders reside in the west. You omitted Dallas, who is very good and considerably better than #7 in the east. 1-6 might look somewhat comparable but 7-15 in the west is considerably stronger than the east as a group to he point that it’s laughable. And the unbalanced conference schedules has also inflated the top team’s records in the east just like it does most seasons.

All that said, I’m still picking the Bucks to win the title, but part of the reason for that is because I think they have a far easier playoff map playing in the east then the Clips/Lakers have playing in the tougher conference.

Sure, but we're talking this bubble right now which is essentially the playoffs. so 7-15 isn't really that relevant.

Regardless of potentially inflated records, the top 6 of the East is comparable to the top 6 of the West. So it's not like whoever is in the East has a cake walk or much of an easier path in the 2nd round or CF.

Return to The General Board