ImageImageImageImageImage

I’m Done With The NFL Probably Forever

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: I’m Done With The NFL Probably Forever 

Post#221 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:11 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Serious question: other than white aggrievement, what are the Republican party's fundamental beliefs? I can't figure it out at present.

I know you were not asking me, but I don't think the GOP believes in white aggrievement. I think they and the Dems have pretty much the same fundamental beliefs ... stay in power, get more power, get more money, keep it going. Kamala Harris' campaign staff said she actively offered to change her position on anything to win, and I doubt anybody thinks Trump has any actual beliefs other than in himself. I think fundamentally our political system is completely broken and I have no idea how we can fix it short of replacing 80% of congress.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#222 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:14 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Finally, and with some pretty serious reluctance, I'll address Obama and Farrakhan, and the contrast with Trump and his own purveyors of hate.

Obama was a junior senator less than a year into his first term (I'm not sure how many months into his first term, just that it was 2005) when the Congressional Black Caucus met with Farrakhan. I'm not going to excuse Obama attending that meeting, but I get it.

Just playing devils advocate here, but you forgive Obama as an inexperienced politician ... Trump is only in his 3rd year as a politician, and I called Obama for President in 2001 so he had more experience in politics by 2005 than Trump has today, and most of the worst appointees of Trump were in his first year in politics.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#223 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Aug 1, 2020 4:59 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Finally, and with some pretty serious reluctance, I'll address Obama and Farrakhan, and the contrast with Trump and his own purveyors of hate.

Obama was a junior senator less than a year into his first term (I'm not sure how many months into his first term, just that it was 2005) when the Congressional Black Caucus met with Farrakhan. I'm not going to excuse Obama attending that meeting, but I get it.

Just playing devils advocate here, but you forgive Obama as an inexperienced politician ... Trump is only in his 3rd year as a politician, and I called Obama for President in 2001 so he had more experience in politics by 2005 than Trump has today, and most of the worst appointees of Trump were in his first year in politics.

I'm not forgiving him for his lack of experience. I'm acknowledging that it's hard for the low man on the totem pole (can I still use that expression?) to buck those above him. No one is above Trump.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#224 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:09 am

i'm pretty anti modern day cancel culture and 'wokeness' but the Redskin name had to go, just an absurd name and I'm surprised it lasted THIS long tbh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#225 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:14 am

NinerSickness wrote:Yeah, I don't buy your "hateful things about" comparison to Louis f**king Farrakhan. That's like the 75th insane comparison on this thread. What you say is "hateful" could be something completely innocuous and accurate about the religion of Islam; but you lefties defend Islam like it's your baby (despite the violence, child r*pe, rampant ince$t, female genital mutilation, ok to beat their wives, throwing homos off roofs, etc) while walking around with these raging hate-boners for Christianity, despite it being overwhelmingly peaceful and magnanimous in all of its forms today (except for Catholic priests). Give examples of said "hateful things" and show me evidence that Trump was aware of these statements.

lol

that's funny Sick, as a Muslim I've never seen child rape, rampant incest, female genital mutilation. beating wives or throwing people off roofs in my lifetime...

did I miss something? maybe you hang around more Muslims than I do? :roll:
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#226 » by Bald Bull » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:45 pm

All these years Sick been friends with people his political mind sees as a threat lol. Damn. :nod:

I try not to depend on my political mind too much, its divisive, prone to engage as enemies. It will never give a complete perspective. The political mind is full of blind spots and biases, especially for your own shortcomings. For example, Sick has no idea how authoritarian he sounds.

"You must share my feelings about this symbol, and you must stand in the proper ritualistic pose, and recite the words to the symbol!!" "this country must reflect my religion" "we must have traditional families" "you must use this language" "If you don't like it, get out"

the right smashes a kurieg coffee pot, burns Nikes for supporting Kaep, boycotts starbucks over their cups saying happy holidays etc.. cause they are patriots in the free speech party. The left boycotts companies, cause they are Nazis. :banghead:

Sick who is a football junky, refuses to watch football cause they make political statements he disagrees with, but when the "left" feels like they can no longer support something and boycott it, they are Nazis.

The political mind creates blind spots. :nod:
clyde21
RealGM

Post#227 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 7:10 pm

Bald Bull wrote:All these years Sick been friends with people his political mind sees as a threat lol. Damn. :nod:

I try not to depend on my political mind too much, its divisive, prone to engage as enemies. It will never give a complete perspective. The political mind is full of blind spots and biases, especially for your own shortcomings. For example, Sick has no idea how authoritarian he sounds.

"You must share my feelings about this symbol, and you must stand in the proper ritualistic pose, and recite the words to the symbol!!" "this country must reflect my religion" "we must have traditional families" "you must use this language" "If you don't like it, get out"

the right smashes a kurieg coffee pot, burns Nikes for supporting Kaep, boycotts starbucks over their cups saying happy holidays etc.. cause they are patriots in the free speech party. The left boycotts companies, cause they are Nazis. :banghead:

Sick who is a football junky, refuses to watch football cause they make political statements he disagrees with, but when the "left" feels like they can no longer support something and boycott it, they are Nazis.

The political mind creates blind spots. :nod:

dude been watching one too many Ben Shapiro/Gavin McGinnis podcasts
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#228 » by Bald Bull » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:41 pm

:o
Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#229 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 12:10 am

Meh. I chalk that one up to drunk @sshole and not white supremacist.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#230 » by Bald Bull » Sun Aug 2, 2020 1:21 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Meh. I chalk that one up to drunk @sshole and not white supremacist.

he has a swastika tattooed on his chest
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#231 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:17 am

Bald Bull wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Meh. I chalk that one up to drunk @sshole and not white supremacist.

he has a swastika tattooed on his chest

I'm certainly not arguing he's not a white supremacist. Just saying his behavior in this particular case does not appear race based.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#232 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:51 pm

I spent years working with and trying to help drug addicts ... doing that I had a lot of interactions with some gangs that use white supremacist symbols and sometimes rhetoric, but having talked to them I think they are really mostly about using fear to control their own members and get the public to leave them alone. It's incredibly rare for anyone to be ignorant enough these days to be racist in the traditional/definition sense of thinking one race is inherently inferior to another.

Fear sells and we are getting it pumped into us from every direction.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#233 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Yeah, I don't buy your "hateful things about" comparison to Louis f**king Farrakhan. That's like the 75th insane comparison on this thread. What you say is "hateful" could be something completely innocuous and accurate about the religion of Islam; but you lefties defend Islam like it's your baby (despite the violence, child r*pe, rampant ince$t, female genital mutilation, ok to beat their wives, throwing homos off roofs, etc) while walking around with these raging hate-boners for Christianity, despite it being overwhelmingly peaceful and magnanimous in all of its forms today (except for Catholic priests). Give examples of said "hateful things" and show me evidence that Trump was aware of these statements.

lol

that's funny Sick, as a Muslim I've never seen child rape, rampant incest, female genital mutilation. beating wives or throwing people off roofs in my lifetime...

Somehow I missed Sick's use of the word "magnanimous" to describe present-day Christianity. That is an incredibly interesting word to describe the Christian religion's approach to the world. Though I think it does likely perfectly capture Sick's view.

The definition: generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or less powerful person.

Western, Christian people (but please don't call them white) effectively conquered the world, killing millions. They enslaved, raped, and murdered entire groups while seizing their territory. They took whatever they wanted, including stripping many places of natural resources. Much of that was explicitly done in the name of Christianity, including the virtual extermination of American Indians. I don't mean to single out Europeans criticism for that sort of behavior; it's been true of many other conquering groups (Egyptians, Mongols, Chinese, Muslims, Aztecs, Incas, Maori, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.), Europeans just became the best at it.

Having conquered the world over the course of 500-odd years, they divided it as they saw fit. In some cases - primarily those where the original inhabitants had immunity to Old World diseases and were eventually able to effectively resist them to some degree - they eventually gave up the less desirable areas, but they never fully gave up their influence, and never willingly.

Sure, in the last 70-odd years, you haven't seen wars in the name Christianity. But it's not like those Western countries - the US included - suddenly realized the error of their ways and the fundamental incompatibility with the religion to which they professed adherence. They fought proxy wars in third-world countries, using human beings like pawns on a chess board. They overthrew democratically elected governments if they didn't agree with their politics (or, perhaps more accurately, their likelihood to continue to support the commercial interests of the Western powers), often putting in place brutal dictators. When necessary, they went to war to assert or preserve their interests.

But those absolutely WERE NOT Christian wars. Sure, the governments of almost all of those countries were somewhere between 95-100% Christian, but that wasn't Christianity in action. That was politics. No, the Christians were only ever generous and forgiving toward their former subjects, who petulantly rejected the Christians' good will and continue to do so.

Perfect.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#234 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 2, 2020 4:02 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I spent years working with and trying to help drug addicts ... doing that I had a lot of interactions with some gangs that use white supremacist symbols and sometimes rhetoric, but having talked to them I think they are really mostly about using fear to control their own members and get the public to leave them alone. It's incredibly rare for anyone to be ignorant enough these days to be racist in the traditional/definition sense of thinking one race is inherently inferior to another.

Fear sells and we are getting it pumped into us from every direction.

First, I'm not at all confident that's true, though they probably wouldn't explicitly state it as they might have a generation ago. Second, even if it is, what practical difference does it make if people still treat other races differently? If they don't want them "invading" their country, state, town, or neighborhood? If they endorse or advocate for policies that keep certain racial groups marginalized based on systems that certainly did evolve when people believed certain races were inferior?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#235 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:05 pm

i mean, America is literally responsible for the majority of the world's wars as we speak, and guess what? a lot of people in the countries were bombing do see it as a religious war

America isn't bombing a lot of Christian countries or white countries
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#236 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

lol

Somehow I missed Sick's use of the word "magnanimous" to describe present-day Christianity. That is an incredibly interesting word to describe the Christian religion's approach to the world. Though I think it does likely perfectly capture Sick's view.

The definition: generous or forgiving, especially toward a rival or less powerful person.

Western, Christian people (but please don't call them white) effectively conquered the world, killing millions. They enslaved, raped, and murdered entire groups while seizing their territory. They took whatever they wanted, including stripping many places of natural resources. Much of that was explicitly done in the name of Christianity, including the virtual extermination of American Indians. I don't mean to single out Europeans criticism for that sort of behavior; it's been true of many other conquering groups (Egyptians, Mongols, Chinese, Muslims, Aztecs, Incas, Maori, Japanese, etc., etc., etc.), Europeans just became the best at it.

Having conquered the world over the course of 500-odd years, they divided it as they saw fit. In some cases - primarily those where the original inhabitants had immunity to Old World diseases and were eventually able to effectively resist them to some degree - they eventually gave up the less desirable areas, but they never fully gave up their influence, and never willingly.

Sure, in the last 70-odd years, you haven't seen wars in the name Christianity. But it's not like those Western countries - the US included - suddenly realized the error of their ways and the fundamental incompatibility with the religion to which they professed adherence. They fought proxy wars in third-world countries, using human beings like pawns on a chess board. They overthrew democratically elected governments if they didn't agree with their politics (or, perhaps more accurately, their likelihood to continue to support the commercial interests of the Western powers), often putting in place brutal dictators. When necessary, they went to war to assert or preserve their interests.

But those absolutely WERE NOT Christian wars. Sure, the governments of almost all of those countries were somewhere between 95-100% Christian, but that wasn't Christianity in action. That was politics. No, the Christians were only ever generous and forgiving toward their former subjects, who petulantly rejected the Christians' good will and continue to do so.

Perfect.

How about in the last 20 years? Why do we have to be responsible (and guilty) for what was done by previous generations? One can be educated about the past to keep it from repeating while also not suffering for what our forebears did.

My father's ancestors certainly included Spanish invaders who brutalized the south american natives just as they include those same natives, who themselves brutalized groups who were deemed as "less than". He managed to rise above that past to carve out a qualify life in the US where he met and married a woman with German/native american heritage and raise a family without oppressing people. And all this despite be raised a Christian.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#237 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:i mean, America is literally responsible for the majority of the world's wars as we speak, and guess what? a lot of people in the countries were bombing do see it as a religious war

And what bugs me about that is that despite the polls saying the majority of US population wanting the military to reduce it's size and involvement the world over our politicians are all for more of the same. Biden's expected advisers include a bunch of lobbyists for military contractors/manufacturers. As always, money talks.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#238 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:18 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i mean, America is literally responsible for the majority of the world's wars as we speak, and guess what? a lot of people in the countries were bombing do see it as a religious war

And what bugs me about that is that despite the polls saying the majority of US population wanting the military to reduce it's size and involvement the world over our politicians are all for more of the same. Biden's expected advisers include a bunch of lobbyists for military contractors/manufacturers. As always, money talks.

its funny how people think its gonna change with Biden, as if the Obama/Biden admin didn't take us from 2 to 7 wars themselves and increased drone strikes across the world by 5 fold

it doesnt matter who's in office, our foreign affairs are being run by the military industrial complex
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#239 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

its funny how people think its gonna change with Biden, as if the Obama/Biden admin didn't take us from 2 to 7 wars themselves and increased drone strikes across the world by 5 fold

it doesnt matter who's in office, our foreign affairs are being run by the military industrial complex

Dems this week actually complained that Trump reducing troop deployments by 12000 troops would be TOO EXPENSIVE. I thought we were supposed to be the peace party that wants to reduce the size of the military and the numbers deployed?

How about we cut the number of police by 40%, cut the military budget by 60% and everyone can get UBI and health care?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#240 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 6:36 pm

establishent Dems are garbo, they are just republican light, we really don't have 2 parties in the US, just one big party that's being run by corporations and the MIC

Return to San Francisco 49ers